Start by marking “Lie Lay Lain” as Want to Read:
Lie Lay Lain

Lie Lay Lain

Jennifer has a great job and a go-getter fiancé. She’s on track for success, until she witnesses a fatal hit-and-run. Mistaking Jennifer for someone else, the dying victim extracts an impossible promise. Jennifer’s fiancé wants her to forget the whole incident, but when she closes her eyes, she can still see the bloody face of the woman who asked for her help.

Olivia is in
Published April 3rd 2014 by Stairway Press (first published March 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lie Lay Lain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lie Lay Lain

Ramsey Hootman
For about half a minute, I thought this book was gonna suck. A woman obsessed with fancy shoes? Really? Ugh.

And then by the end of the first scene, I was practically in tears. Rarely does a book affect me that much, and the end of that first scene is just the beginning of a story I could not put down until I had finished. I didn't even want anyone to talk to me while I was reading it. Just shut up, everyone, because these people are so real to me that my actual life seems secondary.

Greenwood's
Ashley
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
See this full review and many more at: 5171 Miles Book Blog.

As my fellow PLNs (Passionate Little Nutcases) know, when Tarryn Fisher recommends a book, you have no choice but to get your hands on it too. So, like everyone else, when Tarryn told the folks in her reader group to pick up Lie Lay Lain by Bryn Greenwood, I added the book to my reading list. Thanks to my new PLN friend, Maureen, I was able to read this before my library was going to be able to get it in for me!

Tarryn mentioned this boo
Paula
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading "All the Ugly and Wonderful Things", I knew I want to read more of Bryn Greenwood's work. So I one-clicked and read "Lie Lay Lain."

I went into the story not really knowing what to expect but I was fairly sure it would be a book that would have me captivated and would make me think and feel a lot. I was right.

This book is so different from most things I've read lately. It's in a way very low-key. Best way to describe it maybe: It's life. In it's most honest form. It's ugly and pre
Violett
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, sarah-sylvia
As I read the other reviews I was surprised by the less than positive ratings. One reviewer said it made her want to gauge her eyes out. I think she meant gouge, but nevertheless, I absolutely loved the book.

For all the POV comments there were in the reviews, to my count (and I was never that great at math), there were only two point of views. I didn't struggle to keep up with just the two. In fact with two heroines it was great to switch between their perspectives.

Perhaps some of the reviewers
Nadine Jones
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, broken
“I like laying here with you,” he said.
“I like lying here with you, too.”
“That’s not right, huh? It’s not laying?”
“No,” she said, embarrassed.
“I can always count on you to know which is which, but that’s weird. Lying. I don’t like how lie has the two meanings. I don’t want to lie here with you. Been enough lying already. Why does it mean two different things?”
“I don’t know.”
“If it’s okay, I’m just gonna keep saying lay. I like laying here with you,” he said.
“I like laying here with you,
L.S.
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
To be blunt, and polite - this didn't really appeal to me and it didn't leave me wanting more! I gave it 2 stars.

I'm a bit confused about this next book review as I was expecting great things. It was recommended to me by the publishing agency after I had reviewed another of its books. It just goes to show that one person's opinion is simply just that - an opinion. And, in this particular, one that is far removed from my own.

The book in question is Lie, Lay, Lain by Bryn Greenwood.

Although it so
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jennifer and Olivia are two women on very different trajectories at the beginning of this interesting, well-written novel. (Yes, it unfolds slowly, but that's a good thing--the reader truly gets to know these women and their problems, mistakes, and situations well ... I think some of the reviewers who think this book is too slow must not read much literary fiction. There is faster action/plot drive in the second half of the novel, and it's enough to satisfy anyone who prefers mysteries or thrill ...more
Ruthenator
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This is a well-written story with well-developed characters who are real people who are transformed over the course of the book due to various events and people they meet. It's not packed with action or thrills but there's something so compelling about it that I had a hard time putting it down at night and I ended up staying up much later than intended, reading one more chapter, one more chapter. I would have done better to sit and read larger chunks of it on the weekend and get more rest during ...more
Maureen Mayer
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was really excited to read this book. It was recommended to me by both readers and authors, so I had high hopes. The first chapter drew me in right away and tugged at my heartstrings, but the majority of the book dragged and was anticlimactic. Sure there were some dramatic moments but most were predictable and fizzled out.
Dawn Murphy-marshall
Geesh. No real climax. I kept waiting for it… I thought the story was pretty good but nothing overly exciting ever really happened… The ending just fizzled out
Jessica
Feb 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was awful. I really don't even know how to write this review because it was that bad. This book was extremely slow & monotonous. The writing was just ok, the characters made me want to gauge my eyes out, the alternating pov's didn't work at all, and the storyline was weird. I couldn't tell if the author was trying to write a romance with some church & christianity thrown in or if she was writing a christian romance with god awful sex thrown in. Either way, it didn't work. The s ...more
*Marsha,Marsha,Marsha* It's always Marsha
I'm sorry but this just did not work for me. I was confused. Was it about Christianity? There certainly were enough church references along with the not so great sex scenes. There were too many POVs for me and frankly I just struggled with this author's writing. Perhaps this is just one of those that did not connect with me. :(:( Sorry
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People that know me well, know that I have severe secondhand embarrassment. It is not the "oh this is uncomfortable" reaction. It usually propels me to either help/reach out to the person in the situation or to *physically* cringe/walk away/block out the situation. This was the ENTIRE book. I hated and loved it. A book that can make you feel these things (through writing, not *because* of the writing style) should make you continue reading.

While it was clear to me after certain events, hints wer
Brandi Aga
Man, oh, man. I’m so torn about this book.

If you ask me at any given moment what my fave books are, they’re always changing. But one that always remains the same is All the Ugly and Wonderful things by Bryn. It moved me, changed me, opened me up and gave me ugly cries.

This book though, I don’t know what to do with it. I didn’t like any of the characters except for one: Rindell. I loved his accent and his way of speech and everything about him. Even through his lies, he was the most honest one
buzy_reading
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
A church secretary...caught up in a web of lies.
A Christian with a penchant for luxury items...made a promise.

The lie and the promise joined forces to honor a dying woman’s wishes.

Will the truth set you free?

Overall: Bryan tackled a variety of subject matters in this book. For that it was a long arduous process. While I appreciated every element she included in this book I must say the delivery fell flat. I was so bored with these characters no matter what Bryn did to change them.

These were re
Jill
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has two main protagonists, Olivia and Jennifer, who are very different young women with nothing in common but the same church and troubled families.

Jane is a successful, beautiful, stylish, businesswoman engaged to marry her perfect partner. Then she is involved in a fatal hit and run, and her perfect life slowly unravels as she deals with the aftermath.

Olivia is overweight, low self esteem, always single, working in the office of the church and living with her parents to help take c
Leila
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m so on the fence with this book…did it blow me away? No. But it has left me with questions, lots of unanswered questions, and that’s a good thing right?
I didn't love it or hate it.
Would I recommend it, yes…it may not be for me but it might be more to your liking.
Jenny grew on me eventually. At first, she was a cliché hung up on material possessions and keeping up appearances. But as her life started to spiral out of control, I began to feel sorry for her, I could see foresee what was happenin
Simoné
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THe story starts like this, one minute Jennifer is happy carefree, checking out her new shoes she just spent an enormous amount of money on. The next, she's on the floor making a promise to a dying woman that she will help her daughter. These chain of events leads to the story of Lie Lay Lain.
Olivia still lives at home with her parents and her brother. Not happy in her life, she meets a paramedic that would change everything.
The story was amazingly moving, slow in all the right places, quick i
Tina
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid three stars

Two women whose only connection is the church they attend have a brief intersecting of their lives, but otherwise this is two separate stories told of two separate women who aren't really all that likeable. The plot is super slow, and there's no real build up to a reveal. Just a story that plods along with one woman who is vapid until she finds one thing to care about, and another who is pretty boring until she finds one person to care about her. The "voice" of the author doesn'
Kate
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Bryn Greenwood does not care about what you think. She tells stories that haven’t been told. And she ends them exactly the way I want her too. And I’m a weirdo. This story had some strong racial issues in it, and that’s brazen coming from a white woman author. I really felt it was an important story to tell even though I understand why some people called it “ boring” or whatever. This book reallly helped me with grey areas and taught me about “the truth”. I do strongly think it would have been b ...more
Carrie Milkanin
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book. I thoroughly enjoyed her book, All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. However, this book was anticlimactic.

We follow the lives of two late twenties woman. Their lives could hardly be any more different. Jennifer is a self-controlled, classy professional. Olivia is an overweight woman who seems to have no control over her life--except her beautiful nails. I did like the supporting cast--Olivia's superbly overweight dad. Jennifer's wacky Mom. the best friends of Jennifer.
Doree Weller
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bryn Greenwood has a talent for making characters so lifelike that I feel bad for them when they mess up. I feel like I understand where they were coming from and why they made the decisions they did, even if I don't agree.

I loved the dual POVs in the story, even though at first, they don't seem to have anything to do with one another. Usually when there are two points of view, I love one more than the other, but that wasn't the case here; I looked forward to the chapters with both chracters and
Angie
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on a recommendation. However, I feel the plot never progressed. It was two characters daily lives and it was mundane, at best. I kept waiting for the "Oooohhhh" moment to happen that would make it all make sense. It didn't.

That being said, I will still pick up another book by this author. In fact, I added Last Will to my TBR last night. And look forward to her next release.
Barbara
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading All the Ugly and Wonderful Things , I had to read more from Bryn Greenwood. Lie Lay Lain is another couldn’t-put-it-down book, this time focusing on lies and truth. Again, she has created characters who felt completely real. Although I am very unlike either of the two main characters, I empathized and sympathized with their thoughts, feelings, and struggles. Excellent writing. I’ll be reading her other books and looking forward to what comes next.
Donna Schoening
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was just a fair book. There was never really a climax to the story, and the Christianity confused me. It really had no part of the plot. Jennifer and Olivia are the two main characters in the book, but they’re not really good friends. The book was readable but definitely wasn’t as good of a read for me as All the Ugly and Beautiful things.
Kasey
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book left me taken aback. I've never read anything by Bryn Greenwood but this book kind of left me stymied. I wasn't sure what to think, and honestly I still don't know what I think. I just know that if a book sticks with me that long and leaves me thinking about it, it has to be good. 4 out of 5 stars.
Jessica
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow.. this book really took me by surprise. Not what I was suspecting at all, but I loved it. Both Olivia and Jennifer’s stories sucked me in. The writing was amazing, and the story was great. A definite recommend from me!
Ashley Gill
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is written very well, but I felt like the story was lacking. I could have had more of Olivia. A lot more of Jennifer. I feel like the story that mattered didn’t start to show itself until the last 70 pages.
Joanne
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This book had an amazing start. I was hooked. I kept waiting for the big thing to happen and it never did. I'm left wondering what happened to Jennifer. There was no epilogue new or additional chapter to bring closure, so now all I can do is wonder.
Christine Schindler
3.5 Quick read. Entertaining and kept my attention, but a little predictable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Counting-Downers
  • The Grrrl of Limberlost
  • 13 by Shanley
  • The Play That Goes Wrong
  • Every Good Boy Deserves Favor & Professional Foul
  • The Bars That Hold Us
  • Autobahn
  • Thrown (Aspen Valley, #1)
  • Master Class
  • In the Hope of Memories
  • Blue/Orange
  • The ABCs of Yoga for Kids
  • Harlem Duet
  • Building the Wall: The Play and Commentary
  • The Eccentricities of a Nightingale
  • The New Rule (The Casual Rule #2)
  • Nocturne: A Play
  • I Am a Camera
BRYN GREENWOOD is a fourth-generation Kansan and the daughter of a mostly reformed drug dealer. She is the author of the NYT bestseller All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. Her fourth novel, The Reckless Oath We Made is coming from Putnam in 2019. She lives in Lawrence, Kansas.

“She was so astounded by the development that she didn’t remember to close her eyes until his mouth touched hers. His lips were soft, but at the corners of his mouth he had fine beard stubble. Where it grazed her skin, it set off shocks that burst all through her body, potent and sly, sneaking past her practicality. He followed up the main kiss with a smaller one on the end of her nose. She” 0 likes