Start by marking “Hairspray and Homicide” as Want to Read:

Hairspray and Homicide

(Bekki The Beautician Mystery #1)

When Bekki catches her cheating boyfriend in the act she decides to return to her home town to repair her broken heart. The quiet town of Harroway where nothing much happens. Her mother is retiring and she is going to run her family’s hair and beauty salon. But, when the owner of the rival salon, Daisy, is found murdered after Bekki threatened her, Bekki becomes the prime ...more
Published December 2nd 2013 (first published July 9th 2013)

Ashley Marie Hooks
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good mystery

Hairspray and Homicide was a very good read. It held my attention from the very beginning and Bekki was and awesome character
Roslyn Donohoe
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good as always.

The start of a new series for me. And I real!y enjoyed this first episode so I expect that the rest of this series will just as good. A great addition to all her other series. Very well worth the read.
gary c lehn
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story..

I enjoyed this story of adventure and suspense. The author has done a great job of creating a good cast of characters, the story was a fine mystery.
Bettina Thomas
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read but just a bit too short..
BA Wallace
Jul 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Far too short.

It's a real shame that the book is so short. I was just getting into it and it rushed to a conclusion. Left me very disappointed.
Dawn
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2017
This was a cute little story. Bekki, other than having a name I will never remember how to spell, was an interesting character. She has spunk, and she is willing to stand up for herself. Though she should have taken a step back in this book, she managed to show Nick that he wasn't infallible.

The tension between Nick and Bekki throughout this book was interesting. I hope that we find out more about their past relationship. I feel like there is so much there that is still untapped.

I enjoyed the fi
Berls
Jun 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
This review was originally posted on Fantasy is More Fun
My Initial Reaction...
My first thought after finishing Hairspray and Homicide wast that it was way too simple. The characters were simple, the mystery was PAINFULLY obvious, and it didn't have really any of the cute or wacky I've come to expect from my cozies.

The Good...
There was potential there for something really good. Like if the person who did it wasn't obvious - and there was a way to do that. Or if the little bit we did see abou
Denise
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
“Hairspray and Homicide” by Cindy Bell is a cozy mystery which is a series. The main character, Bekki, a top hairstylist in New York City, has just had her world cave in around her. She has lost her reason for living; her man has dumped her. She does what any girl in her position would do; she goes back to her roots. Back home, she finds her mom, dad and a long-lost love. However, she also finds herself in the middle of a feud between her mom and her mom’s business rival, which leads to murder.
T
**✿❀  Maki ❀✿**
The book started off promising, but the last half was incredibly rushed.

One of the selling points of a good mystery is the build-up to the reveal of the culprit. Half of the fun for the reader is going through, looking for clues so that they can come to the conclusion of who the guilty party is on their own. (Or is it just me?)

This book didn't really have that.

It attempted it, sure. The book tried to draw some parallel between Bekki's recent break-up with her boyfriend, and situations not being
Marnie Ide
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick fun read. A refreshing mystery with very little swearing and no smut. Complete change of pace from my recent reads. I enjoyed it
Rachel
Before starting my review I want p0tential purchasers to keep in mind - This is a novella (or short story whichever you prefer), and as such the reviews should take that fact into consideration.

This is the first book about Bekki who has returned home after a "boyfriend" problem in the city. She takes over her mother's salon and, it seems the feud with the other salon owner. While I'd guessed early on who the murder was, I 'd no idea of the "twist" in it. The book is short, cute and -simply put -
Mjuneb
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Barely Back and in Hot Water

Leaving her job in the big city and moving home was a good idea. Or was it? First day in charge of her mom's beauty salon and their rival has started mischief. After telling her off and making threats of what will happen if the woman bad-mouths her parents again, Bekki cools off the heads to the only bar in town. Two men try to rob the place and her black belt skills kick in just before the police arrive. One large man with a broken arm makes her number one suspect in
Lori Henrich
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Bekki decides to move back home after her relationship with Trevor crumbles. She is planning on taking over her mothers salon. The old rival between her mother and another shop run by Daisy is still in force. When Daisy tries to start trouble again Bekki confronts her and kind of threatens her. When her old flame Nick, who is now the town cop, shows up to arrest her for the murder of Daisy her life is in shambles again.

This is a fun quick read. Good characters and fast moving. Liked it!
Quanita
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Small town girl moves to New York, falls in love, finds him cheating, goes back home and becomes prime suspect in a murder. No foul language, no sex, just a quick read of 51 pages. An old story done in a refreshing way. Perfect if you're short of time or looking for a take-along read for bus or doctors office.
Debbie
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hairspray and Homicide

Belkin returns home after having her heart broken in NYC. A rival hairdresser turns up dead after arguing with Bekki, so the police suspect her. A predictable read where it's not a great mystery as to who killed this woman.

Jamie
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No suspense. Seemed more like an outline for a plot, rather than a full book. At one point, I was thumbing back through to see if I'd missed something, because it was so disjointed and not thoroughly fleshed out. Won't be continuing the series
Amber Frechette
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun read

Another fun cozy mystery about a hairdresser turned sleuth. The characters were relatable and well suited for the small-town setting. The amateur detective herself has a great backstory and personality that one can't help to love. I'm looking forward to reading more!
Rhonda
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
short and cute
Lindsay
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this little cozy mystery. Ridiculously quick to read! I think I will try the next one to see how this author developes!
Joy
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
good read! nice short ebook - bit of a distraction from my normal reading matter. ran out of library books late in the evening and turned to my kindle for something to pass a couple of hours.
Kelleen
This was a quick read. Not great but not bad.
Vickie
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute little read.
Who's that Lady
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ok quick read

It was alright. started out well and then went down hill. It's hard to believe that anyone would continuously put themselves in the middle of a police investigation.
Michelle Douglas
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
An enjoyable easy read,perfect way to spend some time when I am feeling poorly
A bit predictable, but I wouldn't be put off reading more of Cindy Bell's books
Rebecca McNutt
I know that many readers love the "cozy mystery" genre, but I don't know... this book had crime, but it was like a melodramatic soap opera in a book format.
Joan Husmann
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My experience with free e-books is "You get what you pay for." This book is no exception.
Emily Stone
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book, I like how the clues show up and the truth unravels. A fantastic easy read
Marilyn
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good

this was great short story that was a murder mystery about a beauties who was a bully who had many enemies.
Lucia Kuhl
Really enjoyed this book. It kept my interest until the very end.
Penny Friday-Baker
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quick mystery

Fun characters. Easy to figure out the murderer but a good read nonetheless. A lot o storyline to move with in this book 1.
  • Dying Words (A Ghostwriter Mystery #4)
  • Burnout (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #5)
  • Pretty, Hip, & Dead (Agnes Barton/Kimberly Steele Mystery #1)
  • A Christmas Arrangement (Flower Shop Mystery Series, #3)
  • Death by Chocolate (Dessert First Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder In Half Moon Bay (A Jillian Bradley Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Azalea Festival (Magnolia Mysteries, #3)
  • Murderous Muffins (Chubby Chicks Club, #2)
  • New Math is Murder
  • Death Comes to Town (Darcy Sweet #1)
  • The Mystery of Hurtleberry House (The Reboot Files #1)
  • Misfortune Cookies (When the Fat Ladies Sing #1)
  • The Hitwoman Hunts a Ghost (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #5)
  • Murder & Moonflowers (The Herbalist #1)
  • A Cup of Jo (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #6)
  • Murder in the Milk Case (Trish Cunningham Mystery #1)
  • Another Stab at Life (The Volstead Manor #1)
  • Killer Christmas (An Emma Wild Holiday Mystery #1)

Bekki The Beautician Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Dyed Blonde and a Dead Body