Start by marking “The Graveyard Book, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Graveyard Book, Volume 1

The Graveyard Book, Volume 1

(The Graveyard Book #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  12,720 ratings  ·  1,079 reviews
The first volume of a glorious two-volume, four-color graphic novel adaptation of Neil Gaiman's #1 New York Times bestselling and Newbery Medal-winning novel The Graveyard Book, adapted by P. Craig Russell and illustrated by an extraordinary team of renowned artists.

Inventive, chilling, and filled with wonder, Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book reaches new heights in this st
Published July 29th 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Graveyard Book, Volume 1, please sign up.
Jim Erekson Agreed! In the original novel, I did not picture the standard Bela Lugosi in a cape at all.

·  12,720 ratings  ·  1,079 reviews

Start your review of The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
OH MAN. I loved this so much! I read it in one sitting. I love the fact that several artists contributed to this book! It made for an interesting graphic novel full of beautiful artwork.
Adam Silvera
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
So good. I bought Volume 2 before I was even finished with this one. Excited to go back one day and read the actual novel. This is my favorite Neil Gaiman story! And I believe there's a Coraline graphic novel out there as well by the same team I want to check out. Starting Volume 2 tomorrow!
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really great companion for the original novel. I especially loved the depiction of Silas.
Calista
The book by Neil Gaiman is one of my top 10 all time favorite books. There is nothing like it out there. Unique and fresh and gothic. Now, it has been adapted into a graphic novel. What I like about this, is I can read it in much shorter time and enjoy it. A few details had already begun to fade from my mind and now they are back.

Bod is an orphan taken in by residents of a graveyard. He has their protection as well. Silas is his guardian and he is a Vampire. Bod is short for Nobody Owens. He is
Kayla Dawn
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
4,5* - I absolutely loved this! Both the art and the story were so entertaining and the atmosphere was perfect.

I'm really looking forward to part 2. I already ordered it lol.
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Much like The Graveyard Book, the graphic novel is told through vignettes of Nobody Owens' life.

Sometimes the characters were beautiful, sometimes ugly and sometimes very "meh" in appearance. The thing is, I could be talking about the same person. Each vignette had a different artist , which was slightly disconcerting. As soon as I get used to one portrayal of a character - we'd be on to the next artist. I like consistency. A few times the characters appeared so differently that I needed cont
Melki
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melki by: Lynn Bruner
It takes a village graveyard to raise a child.

A little live boy is taught the ways of the world by the spectral residents of a cemetery.

I've not read Gaiman's original book, but I really enjoyed this graphic adaptation of the story. Can't wait to start volume II.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I thought this graphic novel was awesome! I loved the fact that Bod (Nobody Owens) lived in the graveyard!

Through some unfortunate events his family were killed, but he had wandered off to the graveyard before he could be killed. He was still just a toddler. The ghosts from the graveyard and Silas, whom I'm assuming is a vampire, take him in and raise him! :) I totally love it!

The graphics were awesome! Bod got into some hairy situations but always got out o
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Saw this on the shelf at the local library and just picked it up. It looked like the perfect little read for in between and the change of weather.

This is an adaptation by P. Craig Russell of Neil Gaiman’s award winning novel ‘The Graveyard Book’. It contains chapter one through the interlude. Volume two includes chapter six through the end.

Though the concept seemed a bit strange at first, I enjoyed Nobody Owens character and his little adventures around the graveyard. His primary care taker Si
Lauren
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I absolutely ADORED every single page in this graphic novel adaptation of The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It's like holding magic in your hands!

P. Craig Russell has managed to perfectly capture Gaiman's story in this illustrated form and reunites the reader once again with Nobody Owens (aka Bod), his mysterious guardian, Silas, the equally mysterious Miss Lupescu and the witch, Liza Hempstock (who may be related to Lettie from The Ocean at the End of the Lane).

This graphic novel ticks all of
Sam Quixote
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
One night, a man murders a family with a knife, except for a toddler who manages to escape to a nearby graveyard. There, he is kept safe, named Bod (short for Nobody) and raised by an Addams Family assortment of ghosts, vampires, and werewolves. The story follows his adventures as a 10 year old exploring the graveyard and its curious inhabitants as he learns Important Life Lessons.

I like Neil Gaiman’s comics and short stories but I’ve never really enjoyed his novels in the way a lot of other rea
Patricija - aparecium_libri
3.5
I think I'd like the book more.
Steph Sinclair
The artwork is breathtaking and I just couldn't look away from it. What's even cooler is that a different artist illustrates for each new chapter. Highly recommended, especially if you are a fan of the original book.

Nicolo Yu
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I haven't had the chance to read The Graveyard Book in its original form and I was happy enough to have read it in the graphic novel adaptation first. The story, an orphaned boy raised in the unlikeliest of communities, is Neil Gaiman at the height of his powers. The story is dark, cold, warm and tender all at the same time. Truly, only a writer with talent such as Gaiman's could have accomplished thus.

P. Craig Russell is one of the few talents able to work with Gaiman and turn his script into b
Sara *~The Loquacious Lassie~*
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightful and charming graphic novelization of Gaiman's award-winning story. I've read The Graveyard Book and I absolutely adored it! Surprisingly, I found the novel to have more vivid imagery than the graphic novel. Maybe I just have a really good imagination! Somehow the text in the graphic novel was a little choppy and lost some of Gaiman's lilting, awkward, and enchanting narration. Despite that, it is a fun read and worth checking out if you are a die-hard Gaiman fan like yours truly. 4 ...more
Meg
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the writers that inspire me is Neil Gaiman. I am envious of the way he masterfully creates worlds and tells his tales. The Graveyard Book is no exception.

I wish I had in my possession the second volume, because you are definitely left wanting more. I could just read the actual book, lets be honest for a second, but then I would miss out on the wonderful illustrations. It must be said (in my opinion) that the imagery in this graphic novel isn’t my favourite. I put this down to it being ill
Melissa Chung
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was so nice to re-read this book in graphic novel form. Loved being able to see the illustrations while the story unfolded. I read this book a few years ago and was surprised while reading this graphic novel that I remembered so little of it the first time around. 4 stars for being a good story and for the illustrations.

The Graveyard Book is about a boy named Bod (Nobody) Owens. When we first meet our protagonist he is a toddler who wanders into the graveyard. He was at the right place at the
Tilly Booth
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been wanting to read The Graveyard Book for so long and when I saw the graphic novel edition I basically screamed. It was beautiful. I didn't even think twice before I bundled it up in my arms and proceeded to hand over money I shouldn't be spending.

It was just as I imagined it would be. Perfect. I loved reading this book. The detail, the story line, the dialogue, the characters, it was all easy. It was all entertaining and it kept your attention.

The only reason this book got 4 stars for
Derek
The most amazing thing about this book, besides the writing (of course!) is how every chapter features a different artist. The story is fluid and enjoyable and the changing artwork marks little Bod's change and growth throughout the novel. This is like Jungle Book but for ghosts and ghouls and witches and vampires and werewolves and all else. Fun, intriguing and packed with loads of empathy and relatability. So we'll crafted is the story you don't for one second discount it as being a tall tale. ...more
Krista Schrecongost
This is the first graphic novel I've ever read, and also my first anything by Neil Gaiman. It was kind of weird and quirky and I did enjoy it. And I really did enjoy the artwork! But I just didn't feel very invested in the story...I'm not really interested in finding out what happens in the next installment of this. So, three stars.
Manisha
Could the dead BE more dramatic?

This was... I have no words. What a crazy, unexpected, fantastical journey this was. An adventure that would have caused anyone to sit a moment and wonder if life was truly like this. And to think, it all started with a very graphic murder in the beginning.

What a fun ride!
Ryan Michael
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the novel a few years back and really loved it. This was a great way to reread a favorite and I highly recommend it to those who have or have not read the novel alike. The art is really good and it was fun reliving the story through a different take
Amina
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't really into the art, but all in all it is great to go through this book again!
Roxana Chirilă
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you know those moments when you're in a bookshop and you're feeling kind of down, so you just by the thing that would make you happiest just then?

I read "The Graveyard Book", the novel, when it came out, so I normally wouldn't buy the graphic novel volumes, too. But this time I did, and I'm really happy, because this volume is lovely.

"The Graveyard Book", in any incarnation, is a series of short stories about a boy who grows up raised by ghosts and a vampire, and has the freedom of the grave
Diamond
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a good story with great graphics
Review originally posted on my blog, ...more
Sesana
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I love The Graveyard Book, the original novel. I've read it, oh, four times or so. And I'm not much for re-reading, so that's saying quite a bit. Not surprisingly, I liked the comic adaptation, but not as much as the original.

For the adaptation, the book has been divided into two volumes. The script isn't bad, but I don't think the original book is very well suited for the graphic novel treatment. Very little of Gaiman's work is, actually. There's so much in the narration, which leads to a lot o
Charlotte van den Berg
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars

It was fun to see one of my favorite books come alive (haha) in this graphic novel.
The artwork was amazing. Nearly everything was exactly the way I imagined it while I read The Graveyard Book years ago, especially Silas.

I would recommend this if you liked the original book and like graphic novels.

description
David
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Terrific fantasy tale. Much better than I expected. Need to go read the original prose novel.
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
*This review also appears on the blog Genie In A Book*

Note: This is a review for both volume 1 and 2

Thank you to Bloomsbury Publishers Australia for sending me copies of these books in exchange for an honest review

Although I'm still a newbie when it comes to the realm of graphic novels, I can say with confidence that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this visual representation based on the original novel 'The Graveyard Book' by Neil Gaiman. In both volume one and volume two, I could definitely see th
L. McCoy
It's hard to believe the author of Sandman would create this terrible mess of a book but he sure did. I have no idea why but he did.

What's it about?
This kid's family was killed when he was a baby and he was the only survivor. He wandered into a graveyard when the door of the family's house was open and now he's being raised by ghosts and a vampire.

Pros:
The art is just wonderful! All the artists did an amazing job! I love the art and can't help but talk about how wonderful it is!
The first chapter
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please combine 7 22 Jun 15, 2017 10:13AM

• Coraline
  • Coraline: A Visual Companion
  • The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents: The Play
  • Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere
  • Second Thoughts
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Graveyard Book (The Graveyard Book, #1-2)
  • A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Nimona
  • Gamayun Tales I
  • The Golden Compass: Lyra's world
  • Postal: The Complete Collection
  • Through the Woods
  • Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Book 1 of 3 (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1)
  • A Christmas Carol (Graphic Novel)
  • Wolves

The Graveyard Book (2 books)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 2