Start by marking “About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design” as Want to Read:
About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design

About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design

The three editions of "About Face" have shaped and evolved the landscape of interaction design, bringing it from the research labs into every day lexicon and development. The fourth edition of this groundbreaking book will be no less game changing.

The 4th edition of "About Face "is the most significant revision yet, with a new unique design and 4-color interior, dedicated
Paperback, 4th Edition, 720 pages
Published September 2nd 2014 by Wiley (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about About Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About Face

Start your review of About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design
Ryan
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
About Face is widely considered one of the most important books ever written about Interaction Design: the design of software, websites, mobile apps, or any other digitally-mediated experience.

Alan Cooper pioneered key concepts like designing for intermediates, goal-directed design, and personas which have become cornerstones of this burgeoning profession. In these moments of the book, Cooper is nothing short of genius. He literally helped invent a new field, consequently changing how we all use
Nathanael Coyne
This book is pretty much the bible of interaction design. Covers project process, Goal-Directed Design, persona development and everything about windows, dialogs, controls, user feedback. Very comprehensive and well-presented. You can probably get away with reading the first third of it and then using the rest for references as needed for when implementing drag-and-drop interactions etc.
John
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know the content is supposed to be amazing, but I was so bored with page after page of text and theory so I couldn't finish the book.
Emanuel Serbanoiu
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to read this book but felt that it propelled me to the next level (even after 6 years of being a designer). The most important lessons for me were about personas, pliancy, idioms, and excise. Throughout the book, I found lots of great explanations and many great points of view that will come in handy for me in the future.

I would recommend this to any designer with more than 2 years in the field.

Definitely a book that is worth reviewing once in a while.
Alex
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in interaction design.
Alan Cooper’s About Face is one of those pillars of UI/UX design, the reading of which is a rite of passage. I figured few books would be more appropriate as a capstone to my long list of design-oriented reads. It is nearly an institution in and of itself. Last night I turned the final page and ticked a pretty big 560-page book off of my reading list.

Full review at http://livollmers.net/index.php/2008/...
Adam Wiggins
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, computing
Unbelievably thorough examination of all aspects of how to design digital products, mainly software.

It's a bit of a slog, reading like a textbook. But well-worth it if you do IxD for a living. I've not found any other text that manages to work through all the core skills of this field.
Tom Panning
This is an opinionated "bible" or "end-all be-all" style of book. It covers everything from the methods that you use in research and design to chapters on the specifics of dialogs and menus vs. toolbars. Full disclosure: I tend to prefer books that focus on a particular topic and are shorter.

Alan Cooper professes his opinions unapologetically, but that's to be expected. If you're not familiar with his opinions, start with The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High Tech Products Drive Us Crazy
Chiel
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, cmd, study
Very comprehensive book about the world of interaction design. Wether your new or an veteran this talks about do's, donts and why of interaction design.

Furthermore Cooper also talks about how to approach and describe your user (i.e. Personas) and how to define your user's need and wants in order to translate that to your designs.

Last but certainly not least: the design principles. Throughout the book Cooper notes design principles which are very usefull.
Gerard
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few books I know that explains how to do a UI right instead of spending all its time whining about what is wrong with UIs. Worked with Coopers on a UI and they do excellent work. On page 446/574.
Chris
Cooper certainly is one of the quintessential authors on Interaction Design and this is must-read for designers of all walks. It's an interesting read, but just a tad long-winded at times.
Nicole Califano
Jun 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huge, weighty, and quite philisophical book on UX practices. Tough to sink teeth into, but great for keeping on desk for reference.
Kris
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential. I use this every single day of my working life.
Michel Kuik
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must-have for interaction designers. Don't read it from a-z, but use it as guide you pick up once in a while.
Kars
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, non-fiction
Not an easy read but I can't think of any books that go this deep into the details of interface design. Cooper's concept of 'excise' (superfluous interaction) has always stuck with me.
Morgane
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book is extremely fucking long just for the sake of being extremely fucking long. Christ, what a slog.
Nicolae Racovita
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think of it as the bible of Interaction Design - good information abstracted to set of rules, but missing the scientific evidence of reasons.
min
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely need this book when I'm designing some GUI thingys down the road .. Great primer on ideal workflow and frame of mind when it comes to good design though :)
Summa Smiff
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux-ui
The main thesis of the book, which is that the ultimate success of interaction design is how well it helps users accomplish their goals, is both obviously true but also lacking in many other design books. About Face 3 has several chapters on how to research and identify user goals, explaining the persona model better than most. The rest of the book covers how to create interfaces for those personas, avoiding long lectures on typography in favor of thinking of the design holistically from the per ...more
Mandy
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book needs to take its own advice and design a better interaction with the book itself. Heading levels weren't distinct enough for me, there was a reference to a previous cover, and the tone/writing was somewhat uneven but mostly ... curmudgeonly. I can't tell you how many people asked me what "Abo UTF Ace" even was just from glancing at the cover. However, the authors do make up for it with lots of valuable information - this is a pretty great introduction to Interaction Design; aside from ...more
Eoghan Hickey
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply perfect. This book, along with Kim Goodwin's Designing for the digital age, is the best place to start for aspiring interaction designers to learn about user experience design. So much has been said already in terms of praise for this book. Personally, I find the first half more interesting with the approach to research and modelling, than the latter parts going towards more detail design. A must read
Mythreyi
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's one of those good index books. You pick up for reference and it's has a thought starter on any topic that might cross your mind.

I wish it had more examples of application but it's a good book to read early on. Especially as a non designer peeking into the subject matter.

It's not too creative like some design books get. As someone who like th HCI Way of looking at interaction, this is a nice in between.
Mr
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
didn't even finish it completely. I read like 70% of it. It has a few nuggest but LOTS of kak. It's really not what I expected. Starting to think that non-fiction non-biography books that are over 200 pages long are often poorly written. Eish.. Ai. I expected more after reading The Inmates Are Running The Asylum
Cedd
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has some useful high level points in it, but for me it would be better if it was about half the size. A lot of the pages are taken up describing well known idioms, and less with proposing examples of how to do things well.

It is primarily aimed at big budget software, with a large design team (as opposed to the small team that I work in, that has no designers).
Arnold Petersen
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome update to the edition 2 with much fresher views and of course revised topics with more insights however the second half of the book does not maintain the same quality and substance. I personally felt that it's lacking references to some of the rules discussed in the book, I will however recommend to any UX practitioner as it's a must read to be honest.
Matthew
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most exhaustive book I've read on design, would skip the latter third of the book.

What was most useful is the process of design and the principles of design which can obviously be improved on but at the core is timeless.
Iván Frantar
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bible you should keep handy if you are a product designer/manager/owner or developer building digital products. Never read this book cover to cover, but I had it for years and always come to it for some nuggets of expertise.
Charlie Höglin
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux-design
Informative, useful! Sometimes lightens up the mood with jokesy image captions, but could stand to add a few more since it gets quite dense at times. For a theory book it is still not too bad denseness-wise.
Aamna
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bible for interaction design. It's a bit academic but if you're really into this topic you won't regret picking it up one bit.
Kane Rogers
Long and a bit rambling, but some good stuff in there.
Jesse Hammond
Lengthy read but contains lots and lots information down to the specifics. Worth the read
« previous 1 3 next »

• 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • Designing for Emotion
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »