Start by marking “Emotional Intelligence: Managing Emotions to Make a Positive Impact on Your Life and Career” as Want to Read:

From the author of the bestselling "Mindfulness: Be Mindful. Live in the Moment. "

With her bestselling book "Mindfulness," Gill Hasson has helped thousands of people worldwide to be calm, collected and live in the moment. Now she is here to help us increase our Emotional Intelligence and become better communicators, more self-aware and in control of our moods and feelings.
Published May 19th 2014 by Capstone (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Intelligence

Krystal
So the first part had some interesting ideas, and the second part was all familiar territory, and the third part completely lost me.

Emotions have such a massive impact on our lives, and as someone who likes to bottle them, I was really interested in reading this and learning how they impact our lives through the way we manage them. I was hoping for some tips on being more able to feel without negative consequences. So I was interested in the first part, which breaks down the science of emotions,
Eman Al-shamri
كتاب خفيف، تنهيه في ساعتين
فيه من التكرار الذي يصاغ بلغة ناقلة ، كاتبة مبتدئة لكنها مجتهدة
استمتعت بجزئية الحزم و لكن كنت اتمنى لو انها تقوم بتعريف بعض المصطلحات
Melodie Jolly
Jun 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately it was a waste of time to read this book. A lot of this was common sense and unfortunately I did not learn anything new. Perhaps for someone who struggles with emotional intelligence but doesn't want to read a large college text about it would benefit.
Sarah Lefebvre
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
“acknowledge the challenges, but emphasize the positives”

This wasn’t my favourite book that I’ve read this year, but it definitely has some lessons that I am going to try and apply to my life.
Some other reviews brought up a point that they felt the author was telling people with depression to “just stop being depressed, but I don’t think the lessons she’s trying to teach apply to people who suffer from depression or anxiety, as she provides places to contact if you’re experiencing severe anxie
Anita Houldsworth
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
It was okay, I didn't like the first half but the second half was very useful, will go back and re-read it later.
Nuha Nasser
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
هذا الكتاب غير طريقة تفكيري💙💙💙
Namrata
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is very helpful and easy to understand and read! I highly recommend this book to anybody to be aware and stay positive all throughout!
Wilson Silva
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very practical
Sa7ar
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
عربي
Bob Gao
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very practical book on Emotional intelligence. I will recommend it as a good starter for the purpose to understand what is EQ, how to use it for your work and life.
Sadeem Alburaidi
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
اعتقد في كتب افضل بكثير من هذا .. Run Run ولا تفكر تاخذه
Yusuf Musaji
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Some parts offer clear human errors and how to adapt them. But sometimes it sways off topic and is slightly repetitive.
Nicholas Shaw
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
While reading this book I was in a bit of a funk, feeling a bit flat with things and hoping this book could help me identify what emotions I was feeling and why. I don't think the book achieved that but it was a ridiculous expectation. I don't feel there's a great deal in this book that any level-headed person won't already know but a refresher is far from a bad thing.

Two key re-learnings this book had for me:
1) Whichever emotion you choose to feel, will be the one you continue to feel and devel
Stacey
Oct 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
After an interesting start I was really disappointed with this book. From about half way in it seemed to be s collection of blog posts. It contradicts itself with different types of therapies and then suggests using an elastic band to give yourself a short sharp shock to remind you about negative thoughts - I've never been a fan of this method which sounds slightly closer to advocating self-harm to people who are already vulnerable.
Sean Fishlock
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology, self-help
A short read that feels like a blog, with simplistic content and clumsy writing errors. Much of what is said is self-evident and dumbed down. The author draws heavily on basic techniques in common use like counting breaths "because they work". There isn't a great deal of depth or value to this, though I appreciate the concise format and that it began to pick up about half way through. The biggest take away from this book for me was taking ownership of your emotions in order to manage them.
Bilal
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the most important aspects of life to be aware of is emotional intelligence. Gill Hasson explains emotional intelligence well with applications to be assertive and overcome anxiety, depression and disappointments. I did not compare this book to other emotional intelligence books, but I recommend knowledge about emotional intelligence for everybody as it will come handy at one point of time through the challenges of life.
Cassie
Feb 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
I had high expectations for this book after reading the reviews and a lot of other similar self help books. However this book was incredibly simplistic and didn't teach me anything I didn't know. Things like how to be assertive. There was also a lot of grammatical and spelling mistakes which was worrying. Not a fan.
Fatima Wayne
Well.. I have finally finished reading this book! Not that it was a plodding process but taking into consideration the page numbers, I should have finished it sooner but I took my time with it. It was definitely worth it though!

It was a delightful light read if you’re a psychology student or into psychology in general. Though a bit repetitive, nevertheless, informative and interesting!
S
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some useful material but overall very variable. Patronising and bland at times, it feels like a series of short pieces badly stitched together and padded out into something which could pass as a book. Not without some value but nothing you probably couldn't get from a concerted web trawl and a few magazine articles.
Franzipantz
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this and then re-read it straight away, with copious annotations. Really good simple explanation of emotions and how to handle them. Not the whole story but an excellent foundation.
رغد اللويحان Ragad Allwihan
قرأت الترجمة العربية لهذا الكتاب. يعتبر كتابًا جيدًا كمدخل لعلم الذكاء العاطفي.
لكن واجهت صعوبة في الاندماج فيه وذلك لركاكة الترجمة مما أظهر جليًا ضعف النسق اللغوي للكتاب.
Dominika
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2015
May 17, 2017
Suzanne Mai
Jan 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Psy-Q: Test Yourself with More Than 80 Quizzes, Puzzles and Experiments for Everyday Life
  • The Revolution Will be Digitised: Dispatches from the Information War
  • The Big Questions: Philosophy
  • 100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer's and Age-Related Memory Loss
  • Banksy: The Man Behind the Wall
  • The New Spymasters: Inside Espionage from the Cold War to Global Terror
  • Are You Smart Enough to Work at Google?
  • Filthy English: The How, Why, When and What of Everyday Swearing
  • Lonely Planet South Africa Lesotho & Swaziland
  • Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about Our Everyday Deceptions
  • A People and a Nation [with Atlas]
  • The Rules of Wealth: A Personal Code for Prosperity
  • The Art of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire, Volume Two
  • Undercover: The True Story of Britain's Secret Police
  • History of Britain & Ireland
  • Is There a Text in This Class?: The Authority of Interpretive Communities
  • Spy the Lie: Three Former CIA Officers Reveal Their Secrets to Uncloaking Deception
  • Inquiries Into Truth and Interpretation
Gill Hasson is the author of Mindfulness: Be mindful. Live in the moment works with people from diverse backgrounds and situations. Her key motivation is her belief in the ability of people to positively change their way of thinking - about life, other people, and themselves.

She is a freelance journalist and writes articles on personal development and relationships for a variety of magazines, incl