Start by marking “The Book of Apex (Book of Apex, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Apex (Book of Apex, #4)

The Book of Apex (Book of Apex, #4)

Thirty-three science fiction, fantasy, and horror short stories grab readers by their emotional cores to star deep into the source of our humanity and inhumanity. Well-known authors like Ken Liu, Genevieve Valentine, Catherynne M. Valente, Lavie Tidhar, and Alethea Kontis, along with newer voices, sketch surreal pasts, presents, and futures full of characters with familiar ...more
Published October 24th 2013 by Apex Book Company

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Apex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Apex

Start your review of The Book of Apex (Book of Apex, #4)
Bob/Sally
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
For me, the best kind of anthology is a genre-specific one. I like the novelty of ideas, the variety of subjects, and the unknown factor of what's coming next. While I do enjoy themed anthologies, I find that the subject tends to wear a bit thin by the end, and I'm always left second-guessing myself as to whether a story was weak, or I've just grown tired of the theme.

The Book of Apex: Volume Four of Apex Magazine is a genre-specific anthology . . . in the broadest sense. Like it's namesake, fro
David Marshall
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent anthology with some outstanding stories.

Tammy
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
In a word: A strong collection of weird, gory, scary, creepy and just plain strange stories that will satisfy any reader who loves a wide variety of genre short fiction.

I’m so happy I was introduced to Apex Publications this year. I’ve discovered some new authors that I love and read some stories I would never have found on my own. The thirty-three short stories in The Book of Apex Volume 4 come from the Apex Magazine side of the company, and bring together stories from fifteen issues of Apex Ma
Kinsey_m
The bread we eat in dreams **** I finally understand the people who say Valente is such a great writer. It had never worked for me before, too baroque, too weird for the sake of weirdness. It almost did with radiance, but three-quarters in Valente decided to go back to her roots and I dnf. The bread we eat in dreams though, has the right level for me: excellent writting, but not overdone. As usual, Valente's ideas are great, which is why I have been trying for so long to like her.

"The Leavings o
Gyula
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, fantasy
This was the first time I have read something from Apex Magazine. This book is a nice collection of interesting and sometimes weird stories.
Some of them were beautifully written (for example The Bread We Eat in Dreams), I liked the voice and the use of the words. By the way, voice: since it is a collection of stories by several writers, the style of the authors varies like color patches on a painting. This painting has some rather dark shadows, I would say. A few of the stories were even poetic,
Jordan
I received a copy of this book from the publisher for participating in a Blog Tour promoting it. This anthology collects all the stories published in Apex Magazine issues #30-#44, the first fifteen issues since Lynne M. Thomas took over as editor for the magazine. The great thing about Apex Magazine is that their stories are all available online, so if you are intrigued by a story you can just click the title and it will link you to that story on their website!

The Bread We Eat In Dreams, by Cath
Michael
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
To paraphrase a famous quote from Forrest Gump, short story collections are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're going to get.

That's the great thing about a collection of short stories -- if you come across a story you don't care for you, there's generally another chance (or five) that the next story or a story later in the collection will be more your speed or taste. Since the start of 2014, I've immersed myself into two short story collections -- one that had been languishing
Frank Errington
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 of 5 Stars Review copy

Apex Publishers focuses on Fantasy, Science Fiction and Horror and, during the last year, I've had the pleasure of reviewing some great books from them, including Tom Piccirilli's What Makes You Die, Maurice Broaddus' I Can Transform You and Desper Hollow from Elizabeth Massie, as well as the collection, Plow the Bones from Douglas F. Warwick.

Apex also publishes a monthly Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror magazine featuring original, mind-bending, short fiction from
M. Fenn
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an electronic copy of The Book of Apex: Volume Four of Apex Magazine through LibraryThing’s Early Reviewer program in exchange for an honest review. Gotta say I was pleased.

The Book of Apex: Volume Four contains 33 speculative short stories previously published by Apex Magazine 2011-2013.* Science fiction, fantasy, horror, etc.: it’s an excellent blend of genres, topics, moods, and writing styles. Each story has something to make it worth reading.

Seriously. When I read anthologies for
Beth Cato
I received an ebook copy through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. I have read Apex in the past--and submitted works and been rejected there more than once--but these stories were almost all new to me.

Apex is one of those professional markets with a particular mood: dark and mysterious, sometimes rather strange. The weird stories aren't my sort of thing, but even those I could tell they were exceptionally well-written. The collection draws on ethnic diversity and especially utilizes GBLT
Jenn
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow, these stories are all very good. Some are very different and take on a whole new perspective of 'good and bad.' All were well written and most were very engaging. I would recommend for those that don't mind reading the darker aspect of beings.

Received this book via LibraryThing.com Early Reviewer giveaway.
Lynnet
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
It's fascinating reading this back to back with a similar Clarkesworld anthology. Both were filled with strong, well written stories, but I vastly preferred the Clarkesworld anthology to this one. Almost every story in this anthology has a touch of horror, which isn't as much to my taste as the pure ssf in the Clarkesworld anthology.
Cordelia
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Good anthology. Really enjoyed the following stories:

The 24 Hour Brother by Christopher Barzak

The Faithful City by Michael Pevzner

A Member of the Wedding of Heaven and Hell by Richard Bowes

The Silk Merchant by Ken Liu
Misty
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I won this book from the goodreads giveaways. I liked some of the stories i thought they were a good read.
Crusader
Nov 12, 2013
Brandon Barrows
Feb 01, 2014
Mord
rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2016
Sue
Joline Novy
Rosanna
Nov 05, 2013
In my day job, I am the Head of the Rare Books and Manuscript Library and Juanita J. and Robert E. Simpson Rare Book and Manuscript Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, one of the largest public university rare book collections in the country. I used to manage pop culture special collections that include the papers of over 70 SF/F authors at Northern Illinois University. I ...more