Start by marking “Awakening” as Want to Read:
Awakening

Awakening

The cold spread like anaesthetic in her veins. Fear resurged, driving deeper into every cell.
"Why would my looking in a mirror help you see me?"
"Because I see through your eyes."

When Zelie Taylor pulls a lost necklace out of the icy waters of the lake, she has no idea what the consequences will be.
At first the pendant is just freezing cold - unnaturally so - but then she
Published 2014 by Penguin Group (NZ)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening

Desere
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Imagine slipping on a necklace with a cold as ice pendant, then not being able to get the thing off, and then suddenly you start to hear a male voice, telling you he can see, hear, taste and feel everything you do and think.

As scary as that sounds, it is the life of Zellie and the adventure of a lifetime she finds herself on when Tamas takes up residence inside her body.

Now of course she like any other normal person would goes a little on the 'this is nuts' bend., but soon she discovers more a
EmilyViolet
This is a pretty awesome book.
There are a few cliches, like in most YA novels, but it could easily be looked over because of the clever writing and interesting plot. Our protagonist is realistic and relateable. The story kept me guessing. The ending was kind of... unsatisfying, shall we say. But I still want to read the next one. Loved how it was set in NZ too!
Nas Dean
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AWAKENING by author Natalie King is a Young Adult (YA) released in March 2014 by Penguin NZ.

Zelie Taylor is not sure she is not hallucinating when she starts hearing voices in her head. But the voice is insistent that he can see through her eyes. Who is he? And what is his connection to the sick girl, Kate? Ah…it all started when Kate insisted that she take a necklace from the lake. But the pendant of the necklace was so cold, how can it be heating now while she was wearing it? And where was the
Bookworm445
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome.

For Natalie King's first Young Adult book, it's really, really good!

I loved this book, and when Natalie told me that she's written a second book but it may not be published I went 'IT BETTER BE PUBLISHED EDITOR!!!' Bu she may need to edit it. Who knows?
DandelionDays
I loved, loved, loved Awakening. It was FABULOUS!!! I would love to read a sequel, and it has been quite a few years since Awakening was released, but unfortunately there is no sequel yet. It had a great plot and it did not end at the wrong time. It's one of those books where you're like ohmygod, it'd be so cool if bla bla bla happened and then it does and you're like yaaaas. Yeah. It might seem like it's a bit of a creepy story, but it isn't really. Awakening definitely makes it onto my favouri ...more
Talia Simpson
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good novel, and although slightly confusing at the start with many characters and not really knowing what to think about each one, the end made it all clear. It took a little while to catch my eye, and i almost stopped reading, but I'm really glad I didn't. This novel also has a massive plot twist, keeping it interesting right until the end
Courtney
Cute. It was a little hard to engage in in the beginning but it turned out well.
AaliyahM
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was and is an amazing book, I loved reading it. There's some pretty unique names as well. I also love that it was set in New Zealand too.
Book Chatter-Cath
During a trip to the lake, freaky girl Kate gets Zelie to fish a necklace from the frigid water, and so starts Zelie’s foray in to the strange and unbelievable world of the mysterious Tamas. Believing she is going mad, Zelie tries to ignore his presence but when things go from just being strange to completely weird, Zelie can do nothing but Tamas’s bidding in an attempt to free them both.

The writing in Awakening is super smooth. The story flows effortlessly and held my attention from start to fi
Grace
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Now I suppose I'd really give this book 3.5 stars, but as I need to round it up or down, I eventually decided to round it down. However, this is probably due to my own personal preference when it comes to books, and I'm sure a lot of other people would disagree.
The story itself follows Zelie, who after the death of her mother, moved with her father and little brother to New Zealand. One of her father's supposedly terminal patients, Kate
Marguerite
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars.

Awakening was an interesting book. I've taken a long time to finally pick it up, but I really enjoyed this book in the end. Not going to deny it, the beginning was really confusing (I know that good books start right in on the action, but this just had me asking so many questions I wasn't sure I could get into it properly). I pushed on, and by the last hundred pages, was really enjoying it! Awakening is certainly more of an emotional book than an action, action, action book.

I liked Ze
Adele Broadbent
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Zelie Taylor thinks she's going crazy when she suddenly begins to hear voices - well one voice really. The voice of a 17 yr old boy called Tamas who speaks several languages with a strange accent and can see through her eyes, hear what she hears and taste what she eats. And he has strong opinions about all of them. But Zelie isn't going mad. She is about to be thrown into a stream of strange events and emotions, other than the guilt she has over her mother.

A touch of magic, romance and supernatu
Nicole Eastwick
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
"Of all the emotions, guilt leaves the greatest mark. While fear and happiness can fade, guilt remains as heavy and harsh as the day it arrives."
When a book begins with an opening like that you know you have stumbled across something incredible.
This book was phenomenal, it was almost as if Natalie King has reached through time and brought us some great myth or legend that had long been forgotten (if it was set in the modern day). This was book subtle, yet all encompassing.
For my full review che
Linley
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-star-reads
I'm giving this book four stars. It can have one for magical Lake Tekapo. It can have another for keeping me interested in the characters. Throw in a couple more for having a Christchurch, New Zealand connection and a slightly 'Twilight' feel to the storyline (without the wimpy Bella). Part fantasy, part supernatural, part romance.

Recommended to Y9/10 fantasy readers.
Ceri Andrist
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book and I am all for supporting NZ writers which is why I actually got around to reading this book. I never really found myself hooked as I found it interesting basically all of the time but still slow moving. The genre wasn't really suited to me so maybe that's why.
Scarlet Wilson
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book by Natalie King.
Completely drawn into the story in the first few scenes, loved the relationship between Zelie and her unusual hero and absolutely loved the twist. Can't wait to read the next book.
A.Foulds
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

This book was a bit predictable, but not obviously so.

I was reading this and suddenly realised I was hooked. It's nice when an author quietly draws you in, which Natalie King managed perfectly.
Nicola Marsh
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014, ya
This is a wonderfully intriguing paranormal YA novel that will appeal to a wide audience.

Such a unique premise. Zelie is a super strong heroine, balancing life and the newfound 'weirdness'.
And I didn't see the twist coming at the end at all!

Thoroughly enjoyed.
Shauna
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a unique concept, different from anything else I've read. It grabbed my attention and had some unexpected twists. The last seven pages were pretty cheesy and it felt like the same thing was said about a dozen times, but other than that, I quite enjoyed this book.
Hasini
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Dramatic and predictable. Didn't enjoy it.
R.L. Stedman
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
thoroughly enjoyed, and looking forward to the sequel.
Anne Williams:)
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Tekapo this fantasy novel has all the elements needed to make a good story: two boys, one girl, magic, romance etc
Sonya
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great young adult book. Fabulous that it was based in the gorgeous Lake Tekapo, a truly magical place. Clearly going to be a sequel & can't wait to read the follow up. Would definitely recommend :)
Tina Corson
Soraya Lane
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Ransomwood
  • Promises to Keep (Sabrina Vaughn #3)
  • Lost Soul (DarkWorld: SkinWalker #2)
  • Spark (Spark, #1)
  • Mrs D is Going Without: I used to be a boozy housewife. Now I'm not. This is my book.
  • Fathom (Crescent Moon Bay, #1)
  • The 13th Horseman (Afterworlds, #1)
  • I Am Rebecca (I Am Not Esther, #2)
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
  • Beckoning Blood (Bonds of Blood #1)
  • The Last Days of the National Costume
  • Pure Blood (Time Spirit Trilogy, #3)
  • Allegiance Sworn (The Light Blade, #3)
  • Max Gate
  • Night Vision
  • A History of Silence: a memoir
  • Chael's Luck: A Knights of Dorathan Novel
  • The Lure of Shapinsay
Natalie King has always had imaginary friends in her head. This proved a distraction during school and beyond, and she ultimately abandoned her various jobs as researcher, mystery shopper and recruitment specialist because she was forever imagining herself elsewhere. Fortunately she now locks herself in her little garden shed to spend her days scribbling the stories those imaginary characters enti ...more