Start by marking “In Search of Lost Dragons” as Want to Read:
In Search of Lost Dragons

In Search of Lost Dragons

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  157 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
On the trail of dragons forgotten, an intrepid illustrator and reporter journeys from Europe through the Middle East and finally to Saigon in search of the dark caverns and mountaintop perches where the elusive winged serpents dwell. With the gift of seeing the invisible, our explorer friend records each encounter in a journal of gorgeous, fully painted artwork, capturing ...more
Published February 3rd 2015 by Dynamite Entertainment (first published February 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of Lost Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of Lost Dragons

Kaora
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So comes snow after fire, and even Dragons have their ending. -JRR Tolkein

This is the book that I expected A Natural History of Dragons to be. While the adventures of the Lady Trent were interesting, it focused too much on her travels and not enough on what she was studying – dragons. The biologist in me was disappointed. However, I am very happy to say that this book is the complete opposite. While it reads much like someone’s journal of their travels, it focuses on the dragons they encounter a
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
A fearless reporter travelers through Europe, Middle East and ends up in Saigon in search of dragons.

I can honestly say that this is a book that I would love to own, just to pick up and browse through when I feel like it. Just pick a side and read the text and admire the image on the side. The problem I had with the e-book is that the text was hard to read (the kind of font that is lovely but a pain in the ass to read) and that I had some problem following the story because of the journal form.
Trish
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have always been a fan of dragons. Of all the mythical creatures from tales around the globe, dragons are by far the most magnificent and most varied if you ask me. Fortunately, I'm not the only one with such a passion for them. The book has some famous quotes about dragons at the beginning of each expedition and in one of those travel chapters we have this wonderful little "prophecy" from Ireland:

This book tells the tale of 3 expeditions in search of dragons. The story is a bit murky, not alw
Paul Nelson
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
‘The Dragon exudes a unique sense of cruelty.’

In Search of Dragons is written in the form of a journal and a stunning adventure to explore and document the many different types of Dragons around the world.
There’s not a great deal to read and if anything you lose focus on the written word when you see the absolutely fabulous depictions and artwork on show in this book. There’s newspaper pages, posters to give evidence of the era this is supposedly set in and the journal entries are in a calligr
Samantha
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply gorgeous!
Taylor Knight

The second that I seen the cover of this graphic novel, I fell in love. The art is so beautiful and I love dragons. I was hoping that the whole book would have as much amazing art as the cover and I wasn’t disappointed.

There’s not much of a story line to In Search of Lost Dragons. It’s mostly artwork and notes. I did wish at times towards the beginning that there was less newspaper clippings and notes and more actual story line. But I quickly become used to the unique style of this graphic novel
Kate
4.5*

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A reporter journeys from Europe to Asia in search of dragons keeping a journal of their discoveries as well as people and places they visit on their journey.

There's only one word to describe this, beautiful.

The artwork is so rich in colour and detail it really is amazing to look at. This would be a stunning coffee table book and it would probably be nicer to read as a hardcover as the e-arc split so
Bettie☯
May 10, 2015 marked it as wish-list
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Wanda
watch the deals - too expensive at the moment, yet doesn't it look delicious?!
Caitlin
ARC received through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For as long as I can remember, I've been in love with dragons. Screw all the other monsters/legendary creatures, none of them are as badass as dragons.

So I honestly expected to love this book.

In Search of Lost Dragons is the cobbled together journal of one Elias Black'mor who is a scholar researching all the dragons lost to history and myth. His journal is a series of depictions, both painted and simple sketches, of said dragons
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Who doesn't love dragons? Who wouldn't love beautiful drawings of dragons?

I enjoyed the drawings a lot. They were really beautiful and really made this book for me. It was wonderful just watching them. Unfortunately I couldn't get into the story. It's written as some kind of travelling diary which would probably not be a problem to follow if it weren't written in a type that's beautiful to watch, but almost impossible to read.

Does this
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Gorgeous art.
It is supposed to be a story of an artist scholar who is trying to find dragons, but finds more than he expected (lost tribes, missing expeditions). Still, there isn't much of a story here and the author often goes back to add something. But the art makes up for it.

This would definitely be more enjoyable as a physical book.

Courtesy of Dynamite Entertainment via NetGalley
Francesca
Elian Black'Mor e Carine-M sono due autori francesi che pubblicato In Search of Lost Dragons per la prima volta nel 2011, in francese. Ora, per la Dynamite Entertainment, questo incantevole libro illustrato (o, meglio, libro d’arte) esce anche tradotto in inglese.

Il libro non può definirsi propriamente una graphic novel. Si può paragonare, piuttosto, a un immaginario diario di viaggio ricco di appunti e meravigliose immagini, attraverso le rotte di tutto il mondo (dall’Europa all’Oriente) alla r
Michael
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written in the style of a personal journal, this trove of fantasy art contains stunning illustrations of the dragons and places a young adventurer encounters as he travels from France to Vietnam in the 1900s. Élian Black'mor and Carine-M use a unique pseudo-gothic style, filling the book with a mix of rough sketches and fully painted pieces. There’s a good amount of differentiation between dragons, and other subjects include a few people, environments, and some other fantasy creatures. Some page ...more
Wanda
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dragon Lovers
Shelves: 2015, real-books
10 MAY 2015 - this is a Mother's Day gift to myself. With a generous percentage off coupon from Barnes & Noble and a gift card, the book price became more reasonable. Thanks, Barnes & Noble!

The storyline takes second place to the illustrations. This book is gorgeous. The illustrations are breathtaking. Some of the illustrations are contained over three pages (the pages fold out).

I cannot articulate properly the joy I gleaned from this book today. If you enjoy dragons and are able, purch
Tom
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't getting 5 stars because of some ground breaking story - the story is good, but that isn't what drives this book. The art, however, is PHENOMENAL. This is the type of book you buy just to look through at your leisure, the kind you keep at your desk or on your coffee table just to show people what beautiful renditions of dragons should look like. If you have ever once had the thought 'dragons are neat', you owe it to yourself to read this one.
♡ Spencer
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: g-fiction-tbr
Honestly, a lot of the time I couldn't follow the story. Maybe I missed something important, but the only plot that I could understand was: Guy searches for dragons, the guy makes a bit of an attempt to find some other folks who got lost while searching for dragons, and really, that's about it. The little snippets about the dragons and the people our protagonist met and spoke to along the way were pretty interesting.

Ask anyone and they will tell you that the illustrations are the highlight of t
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

In Search of Lost Dragons is an exquisitely illustrated faux travel diary of a reporter/illustrator's adventure as he explores dragons. There are sketches, illustrations, and many sketched/drawn paraphenalia such as train tickets, posters of dragon shows, etc. While cleverly done, I felt a bit let down in the execution. It never felt real and was far too 'manufactured' to be disingenuous.

The story is roughly chronologica
osoi
Роскошные драконы, но бестолковая история. Казалось бы, что может быть проще – взять восхитительные драконьи рисунки, перетасовать и придумать историю, более-менее связывающую их (да хоть бы и энциклопедию запилить). Но если крылатые бестии не растеряли очарования и радовали глаз на протяжении всей книги, то сопровождение наводило неимоверную скуку.

Признаюсь, я сразу взъярилась от этой мелкой витиеватой писанины, призванной обозначить дневниковые записи. Мало того, что понимать эту рукопись я на
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
In Search of Lost Dragons presents itself as the diary of Elian Black'Mor, an intrepid explorer and naturalist with a dragon obsession. This obsession leads him to travel all over Europe and into Asia, with the story being told in diary entries, letters, maps, photos, ticket stubs and various ephemera. The format makes for a story that is jerky and incomplete in parts. Sometimes this was appropriate and at other times it seemed more a way to avoid describing how Black'Mor escaped whatever danger ...more
Jana
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was fantastic. This book lives off its art - there is not much text in there, much less than in the average graphic novel. It is told in a diary-like way, all with a font that looks handwritten and made up like a scrapbook/travel journal about someone who sets out to search dragons.

There are glorious pieces of art in this. Full page fully-coloured illustrations or rather paintings of dragons that lo
Allie
Disclaimer: I received this through NetGalley in exchange for a (true) review.

This book is really lovely. The non-traditional graphic novel format is intriguing, and the handwriting font gives it an authentic feeling that will draw in readers. The art spreads are absolutely gorgeous, and the collage/journal style of the story pages is different in the best sort of way. I'm only slightly biased by my love of dragons - this is a great book.
Sharon Powers
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review by: Sharon Powers.

Note: If you would like to see this book review with all the graphics included, please go to http://sharonsloveofbooks.blogspot.com/
__________________________________________

Like many little girls, I loved to read about dragons in stories. As an adult my fascination, admittedly, has dimmed a bit--it happens to all of us as we grow into adulthood and responsibility. However, I found my excitement with dragons rekindled when I read a story about a blue egg delivered
Akylina
A copy was provided to me by NetGalley. The review is posted on The Literary Sisters as well.

‘In Search of Lost Dragons’ is a graphic novel very different from all the others I have encountered so far. The storyline is rather simple, but the whole premise and especially the gorgeous illustrations and drawings adorning the book are so enticing and, in my opinion, what makes this book marvelous from start to finish.

The graphic novel is layed out as a travel diary (or personal notebook at times), n
Jane
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Dynamite's In Search of Lost Dragons is a gorgeous addition to any fantasy collections with its simple but nonetheless interesting concept of a reporter named Elian Black'Mor traveling across the globe to discover these lost dragons. The book's layout is like that of a journal or scrapbook of Black'Mor's journey around the world accompanied by his writings of the dragon, people, and legends he encounters as well as having stunning pictures to go with the story. Said dragon pictures rage from ske
Book Gannet
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful. Any dragon lover should adore it, because it is page after page of gorgeous drawings of wonderful dragons in incredible places. I read this on my laptop and I see on Amazon it’s available to download – don’t do this! It’s a complete waste to have this book in anything but physical form, because most of the illustrations are double page spreads and by the time you magnify everything so you can read the text you can’t come close to appreciating the artwork.

The story itself
Sharon Tyler
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Search of Lost Dragons by Élian Black'mor, M Carine, Jezequel, Hannah Gorfinkel-Elder , and Jason Ullmeyer is a book with full-color paintings paired with a unique story of world-wide exploration and dragon encounters. An illustrator and reporter journeys from Europe through the Middle East and finally to Saigon in search of the dark caverns and mountaintop perches where the elusive winged serpents dwell. With the gift of seeing the invisible, our explorer friend records each encounter in a j ...more
Ally Camble
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
"I am troubled in my heart and mind tonight, an unsettled feeling of having travelled the world in a daydream, experiencing and believing what no other person could ever see or imagine."

As though reading small pieces of Hector Loiseau's dreams, the events he experiences come in and out of focus, the mysterious remain shrouded in mystery, and people appear and disappear in and out of his fog. The only sharp moments in his journal are his pictures of dragons, but even here, he remains vague as to
Sam
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on http://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com

This is a book I was rather excited for ever since seeing it on someone's youtube channel (forgive me I don't remember who's). It's meant to be the journal of a french explorer who goes looking for dragons and finds them. It's filled to the brim with gorgeous artwork that is meant to depict his travels and it's the art that really does capture the eye of the reader.

The story itself is slim and fleeting and a hard to follow. Part of thi
Abby Brithinee
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, fantasy
In Search of Lost Dragons is essentially the travel journal of an explorer/artist who is, as the title says, searching for dragons. The art in this book is absolutely gorgeous, and incredibly varied in medium. Some pages are simple pencil sketches, and others are full-color paintings. The writer also includes letters and photographs, which look like they've been taped into the journal, and writes short descriptions of what he's seen.

While this book is beautiful, I would suggest reading it with n
Wayne McCoy
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
'In Search of Lost Dragons' is part art book, and part travel journal, and, I think, it is completely successful.

An explorer who is both illustrator and explorer goes in search of elusive dragons. Tracking them throughout Europe and into Asia, he has the gift of seeing the unusual and capturing it in beautiful illustrations. Whether it is in the mountains, or caves, or snow or swamps, the traveler stalks his prey. Along the way, he finds unusual customs that surround the beasts, like unusual sid
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Jim Henson's The Storyteller
  • Red Sonja, Vol. 1: Queen of Plagues
  • Wraith
  • Blood Riders
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
  • Birthright, Vol. 1: Homecoming
  • Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow (Trees, #1)
  • Victorian Fairy Tales
  • Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)