Start by marking “Fledgling (Dragonrider Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fledgling (Dragonrider Chronicles, #1)

Fledgling

(Dragonrider Chronicles #1)

When Jaevid Broadfeather is given the rare opportunity to become a dragonrider for the king’s army, the 15-year-old boy has no idea that he is part of a conspiracy that will rock the very foundations of the kingdom.

Jaevid Broadfeather has grown up as a wartime refugee, hiding from the world because of his mixed racial heritage. He feels his future is hopeless, until a chan
Published April 29th 2014 by month 9 books (first published October 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fledgling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fledgling

Montzalee Wittmann
Fledgling
The Dragonrider Chronicles, Book 1
By: Nicole Conway
Narrated by: Jesse Einstein
This is a charming story of the underdog saving the day! I love those kind of stories and especially those with dragons. It is more for middle grade and teens but I certainly enjoyed the story too.
If you love action, adventure, dragons, and suspense then this is for you! I loved the closeness of the dragon and rider bond. Great characters and plot. Well done.
The narrator was perfect for this story! Great with
Aldous Mercer
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy
I'll read most things with dragons in 'em, YA or otherwise. As advertised, the book has dragons, so +1 star. That's...about it.

In terms of the Dragons, Fledgling tries to be a cross between The Dragonriders of Pern and Heart's Blood, but it has neither the charm of the one or the heartfelt intensity of the other.

In terms of Sword and Sorcery, it's like a fleshed-out version of a half-assed backstory you come up with for your D&D character to justify "elvish" and "draconic" under the Language
Leigh Mills
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, series
A bit slow to start, though I think that is due to it being the first book in a series with the need to introduce the characters. The next book will be "Avian", which my Kindle e-book says will be out in Summer 2014.

Reading through The Dragonrider Chronicles FaceBook page, this book has apparently been taken down from Amazon.com because... It is being "republished by an official publishing company." Way to go, Nicole Conway!
Phoebe Prince
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Jaevid is a half-elf, half-human that’s sent to live with this biological human father, Ulric, who makes saddles for dragon riders. Fledgling, especially early on, goes quickly into How to Train Your Dragon territory. Jaevid is basically Elven Hiccup. If this is the How to Train Your Dragon novelization, I’m okay with that (I loved that movie).

The story is a little slow. Not in terms of action, but Jaevid’s internal monologue doesn’t quite feel right. The writerly part of my brain started to whi
Olivia Swenson
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to really get a feel for the world and Jae's simple, straightforward thoughts definitely made this a MG book, but I liked that though Jae was special, he wasn't special in all aspects--he has plenty of shortcomings that make him relateable. I want to know a lot more about the gray elves! I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series and whatever else Nicole publishes.
Jan farnworth
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"If your really gonna make this deal with me, you have to show me. Show me I can trust you" So starts a relationship between a wild dragon and a halfblood that will have you hooked from the very start of the book. I felt that the book had echoes of the relationship you see between hiccup and toothless in How to train your dragon which for me worked as it a great movie.

I love how Sile stands up for Jaevid "Any rider chosen by a dragon must be allowed to join us that is our first law." The wild d
Nay Denise
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tours, arcs
**I received this book from the author in exchange of an honest review.

Mild spoilers

Gave this a 4.5 star rating.

The way Jaevid grew up was horrible. His upbringing was terrible and no one had respect for me at all. I love that no matter what came his way, being a halfbreed or the drama that took place, he never gave up on anything. He made it a mission to save Sile every time danger arised. For a fledgling he went above and beyond.

Ulric is a terrible father. I hated him for treating Jaevid the w
Birgit
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Birgit by: Ilona
A Halfling - elf and human - lives with his human father after the death of his elven mother, being despised by both elves and humans, until he bonds with a dragon and is admitted to the academy for training to become a dragonrider in the war between humans and gray elves, which does not make his life any easier.
Very short summary here, I don't want to spoil anything, after all.
From the simple narrative style and language, I would assume this story is aimed at younger readers, but the plot and
cEe beE
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Summary: There are humans and grey elves in a medieval like world setting and they are enemies. The main character is Jaevid. He is half human, half elf, and despised by both races. One day in his miserable young life, a dragonrider takes interest in him. Shortly after his life changes.

I'd call this fantasy-lite. The world building was rather sparse, and there was no back history at all. Nevertheless, it's interesting enough that I will read the sequel.
Andrea Luhman
What a delightful book. It was fun and engaging right from the start. I never once felt the urge to skip anything. The action was well paced and the story keeps you engaged. The characters are defined well and the dialogue is sincere. If you like dragons, and scenes with people flying and interacting with dragons you will enjoy this book. Great book for readers young and old. I'm going to add her next book to my to-read list right now.
John Welch
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Read this on my Kindle, and the first part definitely needs editing and cleaning up, full of typos and poor grammar. Having said that, it was an enjoyable, if rather lightweight read.
Sylene
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Somewhat predictable story line.. Seemed rushed at the end
Martha
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this coming of age fantasy adventure with warrior dragons. My rating 4.25.

Jaevid was raised by his mother in a war-torn ghetto as a refugee where the guards scorned the gray elves but other refugees scorned Jaevid as a half breed. He never met his human father until his mother died when he was 12. His father reluctantly allows him to sleep in the barn where he is mistreated by his hulking father, hated by his step mother and tormented by his younger half-siblings.

His father makes fine
Melanie Dulaney
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This librarian loves to find a new dragon series and this one is a winner! Jaevid is a character that readers will be rooting for from the very beginning--loving mother dies, forced to live with a birth father who doesn't want him, no money, no hope of a future....But tides turn and Jaevid ends up at a dragon rider academy, finds friends (and enemies) of human and dragon-kind, and a whole new series filled with dragons, magic, elves, battles and all things fantasy opens up. I read through all 4 ...more
MJ (The Book Recluse)
Fledgling is a young adult fantasy novel about a mixed human elf. With the elf and the human nation at war Jaevid does not fit in with anyone except his mother. With her death, at twelve, Jaevid is shipped off to live with his human father. Yet the stars align, and through a series of events Jaevid becomes a Dragonrider.

This is the first book in a four book series. It is a lot of character introductions with some good action to keep the reader engaged. The plot is a pretty classic tale, yet it
Jackie
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
This a novel about a half-breed boy, Jaevid, and his chance become of a Dragonrider and warrior. Jaevid is half human, half Elf, and isn't accepted by either side, including by his biological fire. His biological father makes saddles for the dragonriders, and one of his customers, Side Derrick, notices Jae. He recruits Jae in at Blybrig Academy for Dragonriders. Jaevid must work harder than the others, experiences bullying and prejudice, but forms a bond with his very own wild dragon, despite ho ...more
Steven Brown
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
entertaining fast-paced start to a series that is a little short but has an epic feel.

From beginning to end this is an easy afternoon read. Seeing as this is a fantasy for adolescents to young adults I have to give it a five star rating for what it is. The fantasy does feel a little short but it also has an epic feel to it. The author does a great job in showing us the tip of the iceberg without going into a great deal of information dumping. It is easy to imagine world as it feels real and vib
Grace McNutt
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I checked it out on my schools online library because I was desperate for some fantasy world to take me away from my stressful life and I didn't expect much from the book after reading the description but boy was I wrong! From just the first few sentences, I was drawn in to an amazing world about a half-elf boy and his struggles to find his place in the strict society he lives in. All throughout the book I was reminded of the struggles people go through just to be accepted as ...more
Anu Vaarama
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good plot, and a nice and cute main character. The story could have been more detailed, now I felt that something was missing quite often. For example, the relationship between Jaevid and his dragon wasn’t described deeply enough. Because there were so good characters, that would have been worth ”more” telling and details.
Hyvä tarina, jota olisi voinut kehitellä enemmänkin kohti yksityiskohtia. Jaevidin ja Mavrikin suhdetta olisi voinut rakentaa huomattavan paljon enemmän, mikä olisi saanut ta
Denae Christine
Reader thoughts: I've set down this book several times because the first chapter is dull. It's a summary of Jaevid's life thus far, and there's not much emotion in it.
He's a hated halfbreed. His mom dies. He goes to live with his human father, whom he resembles. His step-mother and human siblings hate him. His life is awful. He is undergrown and picked on. He hopes he can be a saddle-maker some day like his father. He has a nice friend, Catty, whose parents feed him and say kind words.

It drags.
Asviloka
Not bad, but things seemed a bit too coincidental. Everything just happened to work out that he found just what he needed to. The villains were acting so over-the-top cliche I actually laughed aloud during one of the overheard meetings.

On the other hand, the main character boy, don't remember his name, but he had an intriguing heritage. He and his dragon were pretty cool at times. Mavrik is pretty great overall.

Overall, I'd say the good and bad balance out neatly, to something that was quite r
Gaynell Buffinet
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragon Fantasy

Amazon recommended this because my son loves dragons and dragon books. I read it also because I just love books. It's a coming-of-age story, and the main character, Jaevid, starts off as a scrawny little halfbreed (human and grey elf) who is scared of everyone. Well, he is still a scrawny little halfbreed at the end but a series of misadventures and finding humans (and a dragon) who actually care about him helps him find courage.
This book is just right for preteens and is a fun st
Richard
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say the book starts off a little bit slow, but then as it goes through it picks up. It seems a pretty standard heroes journey. I will certainly be reading any sequels. The dragons are integrated in as if they are not really something huge, but still a big deal to the world.

The book is written in a nice casual style, and I enjoyed the actual reading of the book, as much as the story itself.
Jonathan C Wedge
Mar 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF I made it part way into the second chapter before I gave up. There is probably a good story here, I just don't have to the patience to read something so poorly written. On every page I found sentences that I wanted to rewrite.

I see other positive reviews for this book and I wish I could enjoy this book as much as others do but I've got a long list of books I know I'll enjoy reading that I can't wait to get to so I'll skip this one.
Michelle Brooks
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young adult

My 9 year old grandson loves fantasy (especially with dragons) novels. I read them first (he has a 12th grade reading level but he’s only 9 - I like to read the books before I purchase/recommend them to him) so we can discuss the books he enjoys. He is going to enjoy this one very much.
🥰devyn_solo_kenobi🥰
Actual rating: 3.5

That ending - CMON NOW!! This book was okay, but it felt lacking. Honestly, I expected more interaction with dragons. In a way this book reminded me of Eragon, except there was definitely more of an established rider + dragon relationship in that series. I'll be reading the second book soon, but I hope it improves because otherwise I might bail on the rest of the series.
Ronny
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read especially for those of us that that were bullied growing up.

I really enjoyed this book as I love reading about Dragons. I was also bullied growing up so I could understand how the hero in this story felt. Well written and am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Jeffrey A. Dewey
Awesome

From the depth of a tumultuous childhood to the bonding with a wild Dragon and being trained to become a dragonrider. The development of unknown powers to "call" animals from the ancient times to help during times of slavery, espionage and dark plots against the realm. Can't wait to read the next book in The saga.
Helen
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This was quite good fun. It's not the best YA book I've every read as an adult; but I would have loved this aged 12!

Will probably try the next one, despite the problems with the proof reading... the banner across the top of each kindle page tells me "book 1 if the DARGONRIDER chronicles" :}
Angela
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the story it sort of reminds me of some of Tamora Pierce's books. I liked the premise of the dragons and the elves and Jae turned out to be a better character then I was expecting. I'll definitely be reading the next book.
  • The Blue Eyes Trilogy Complete Collection (Blue Eyes, #1-3)
  • The Ancient Fae (The World of Fae, #4)
  • The Dragon and Princess Madeline
  • Spell Fire
  • The Warble (The Bernovem Chronicles Book 1)
  • Very Superstitious: Myths, Legends and Tales of Superstition
  • Rebel Elements (Seals of the Duelists, #1)
  • Flame Caller (World Aflame, #2)
  • The Dragon's Fury (Relics of Power, #1)
  • Glass Frost (Frost, #2)
  • Shadow Allegiance (Unholy Alliance, #3)
  • Tommy Black and the Staff of Light (Tommy Black #1)
  • Peter of the Wind (War of Contractia, #1)
  • Beginning of a Hero (Legends of Windemere, #1)
  • Dragon Defender (Dragon Defense League, #1)
  • Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb
  • Cave of Nightmares (The Broken Prism, #1)
  • Catalyst (The Passage of Hellsfire, #1)
Nicole Conway is originally from North Alabama and attended Auburn University. She is happily married and enjoys writing as a full time career.

Best known for her international bestselling fantasy series, THE DRAGONRIDER CHRONICLES - Nicole is currently working on a follow-on series, THE DRAGONRIDER LEGACY. Her other published works include MAD MAGIC, THE DISTANCE BETWEEN STARS, SCALES (Releasing S

Dragonrider Chronicles (4 books)
  • Avian (Dragonrider Chronicles, #2)
  • Traitor (Dragonrider Chronicles, #3)
  • Immortal (Dragonrider Chronicles, #4)
“the dragonrider. Ulric scowled darkly, and stomped over to take it from me. He slung it over his shoulder like it weighed nothing at all, growling curses under his breath at me as he went to tie it down to the knight’s horse.” 1 likes