Start by marking “There's No Happy Ending” as Want to Read:
There's No Happy Ending

Read Book

There's No Happy Ending (New Bizarro Author Series)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The world is rotting away. Bodies are melting, buildings dissolving and it's only a matter of time before the world completely disintegrates.

Despite the world rotting away, lovers Isobel and Dresden are fighting for the future, and their wedding day. Unfortunately, the rotting world isn't their only challenge. Dresden's mother is a wealthy woman with powerful secrets who w
Published October 20th 2013 by Eraserhead Press

To ask other readers questions about There's No Happy Ending, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's No Happy Ending

Shamus McCarty
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro
Worst. Massage parlor. Ever.

The book is pretty darn good though. When I opened up the book and saw that this was going to be a ‘love story’ I kind of groaned a little bit. But, I powered through my inhibitions and was quickly surprised at how gruesome the story was.

I really dug the concept of the plague and its origins. I won’t ruin the story by explaining it in this review but I felt it was very clever and unique. The writing was solid and the story was entertaining.

Recommended for people who
Douglas Hackle
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Born in 1971, Tiffany is an American singer, actress, and former 80's teen icon most famous for her 1987 cover of "I Think We're Alone Now", a song first recorded by Tommy James and the Shondells in the 60’s. Tiffany also posed for Playboy at one point. Her musical nemesis was Debbie Gibson. This one time at some stuffy red carpet affair in Hollywood, Tiffany slapped Debbie Gibson so hard that Ms. Gibson’s face flew off like a cheap Halloween mask, exposing a screaming, beet-red, bulging-eyed, m ...more
J.W. Wargo
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Id Says:
…And they lived happily ever afterrrrrrrr!!! Or not. Let’s just say that these two lovebirds have a lot of shit to put of with to get to any ending at all. It’s not exactly the kind of world you think about a future with husbands, wives, kids, white picket fences…etc. in it.

There’s his megabitch mother for starters. A certified Rich Old Fuck and totally against her son getting jiggy with some low-classer he met god knows where. She’ll not see her rearing efforts sullied by a whore-slut t
Denise Lewis
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I opened the book and the rest was history!! I didn't put it down until I was finished. Love stories are a no go reading for me, but from the very first page I was in a love hate relationship with every last one of the characters. I wont say to much about that cause you should read it and see what I'm talking about. Very talented writer to be able to pull the story line together the way she did. All I can say is that Dresden's mother would never win mother of the year award!! Do yourself a favor ...more
Russell Holbrook
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was sixteen I became obsessed with Thomas Hardy. Before I hit the eleventh grade I had read all of his books that I could find.
Thomas Hardy didn't write There's No Happy Ending, though, but I think he may have traveled through time and lifted some ideas from Tiffany Scandal.
Even though I found this beautiful love story difficult to follow here and there, I enjoyed being immersed in it's dark, crumbling world, which Ms. Scandal succeeds famously at creating in vivid detail with short, ec
Tamara Romero
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro
A new author to track, and a clear sign that bizarro can definetely appeal to all kind of sensibilities. Dig some odd romance? This is a world-melting love story that starts with this classic shakespearean dilemma: the family that does not accept your sweetheart. But Isobel, our lady, is nothing whatsoever stereotypical, and she's not about to give up on her will to marry Dresden at the intriguing Tower of Chapels (a favorite place for me, loved that setting), even the world is collapsing and co ...more
Sean Leonard
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ever since reading Gabino Iglesias’ Gutmouth, I’ve been more and more interested in the New Bizarro Author Series (NBAS for short) put together by Eraserhead Press. Without beating a dead horse, what they do is give a chance to promising new authors who haven’t yet published their first novel.

With five to seven releases each year, we get a fresh taste of weird and wild writers we may or may not have already been familiar with, writers who, depending on their success, might just become household
J.S. Breukelaar
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
When my best friend and I were teenagers we vowed that if the doomed world were ever to come to the swift and painful end that surely was in store for it, we’d find each other and go down together. Tiffany Scandals’s There’s No Happy Ending brought back some of those memories for me, because hell. You never know. One minute you’re tucked up with the one you love amidst the smoking ruins, and the next minute, the planet actually starts spewing blood, flesh eating… things are on the march, even th ...more
Jeremy Maddux
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best thing about this book is its structure. Right away, we are dropped into a scene of matronly disapproval as Dresden prepares to marry his sweetheart, Isobel. A global catastrophe drives the two apart as they try to conquer all odds to see each other again. Along the way, they will see the sublimely ugly as well as the beautiful about each other. The agony is appropriate dosed out to these two sufferers of agape love. As editor Spike Marlowe deftly points out in the introduction, there is ...more
Grant Wamack
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There is No Happy Ending is the dark debut from Bizarro newcomer Tiffany Scandal who is cool as fuck and a suicide girl.

The novella revolves around Isobel and Dresden who plan on getting married; however, there’s a few problems: Dresden’s rich mother doesn’t approve and the world’s beginning to fall apart. To make matters worse, Dresden and Isobel become separated and have to fight their way through a dissolving world to find each other and the odds are stacked against them.

This is far from a s
Benoit Lelièvre
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one's a little trickier to get into than her subsequent novel JIGSAW YOUTH because of the tone. The setting is gritty and tough and yet the tone is very classic, almost fablelike. You won't find a valid reason why Isobel and Dresdan are separated, but they are and it's something you have to get over it if you want to get into THERE'S NO HAPPY ENDING. Think of it as ROMERO & JULIETTE meets FALLOUT.

Say what you want about Tiffany Scandal though, but she writes female characters I care abo
M.P. Johnson
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Romance In A Rotting World

This is a great example of how varied the bizarro genre can be. It's definitely a romance story. But it's a romance story set in a world that is diseased. People are sick. Even the buildings are sick. There's some startling, vivid imagery in here, notably a scene in which Dresden, the male lead, ends up in the room where his creepy mother keeps his brothers and sisters. What he does is intense. Oh, and geek alert: keep your eyes peeled for the Batman Batcave reference!
Bo Mitchell
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just have to say, I believe Ms. Scandal has a very bright future in writing books. I can't wait for her next to come out. I think that she will give Stephen King some strong competition in future. Keep up the great work Tiffany!!!!
Jeff O'Brien
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love apocalypse love stories with diseased mutants. Who doesn't
Kevin Strange
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fast paced love story for the morbid among us. Tiffany has a lot more love to give. I'm waiting.
Chazlyn
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
All of my quibbles with this book could have been fixed with some more care given to the editing - even the forward has some typos and missing words.

I would have liked to have given this four stars, but my reading flow was interrupted quite a bit by some weird sentence structures and ways of phrasing things. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the plot which was certainly not your average bear. The characters were pretty varied for a short story only spanning less than 80 pages, too.

Glad that I picked
Jorge Palacios Kindelan
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a short but suspensful and depressing post-apocalyptic love story that will leave you both angry and sad, but happy for going through the experience.
Sheldon
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fiction, bizarro
Gee, nice title. Spoilers...

As an entry in this year's New Bizarro Author Series, Tiffany Scandal gives us something very different with the standout There's No Happy Ending. This series is something I've looked forward to every year since its inception because it gives us new authors and new voices in fiction that we haven't read before, and the results are often unique and in some ways challenging.

This is the case with There's No Happy Ending. The story revolves around Isobel and Dresden, and
Michael LeSueur
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tiffany Scandal writes in her bio that she enjoys things that make her uneasy. It shows in this solid, bizarro fiction debut. The end of the world? Check. Being separated from the love of your life just before you're about to be married? Check. A mother with an unhealthy obsession with her son? Check.

If you're looking for an emotional and gory apocalyptic tale of love and separation, this is it.
Pedro Proença
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Isobel and Dresden are lovers who are about to get married. The world around them is rotting away, some strange sickness that afflicts not only people, but even buildings and cars. Dresden's mother does not approve of the wedding, and goes to great lenghts to prevent it from happening. Now, separated from each other with a dying Earth in between, the two lovers must find each other before the end of all things.

"There's No Happy Ending" is a good description for this book, not just its title. We
Charles
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’m a sap, and I dig love stories. I also dig Elvis, labyrinths, mutants, zombie street warfare, urban apocalypse, mad science experiments, and creepy family dynasties. If you are into any of these things you will have fun reading this novella by bizarro author Tiffany Scandal.

It’s about two young lovers, Isobel and Dresden. In a perfect world they would simply be together. But the world is disintegrating before their eyes, people are turning into monsters, and Dresden’s rich and powerful mothe
Jessica
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
Bizarro is a genre where one can and should expect anything in fact its better not to expect anything in particular and just run with what the author throws at you. There’s No Happy Ending is like that and can I say not wrong on the title. Yikes!

This world that Tiffany has created is crumbling to nothing and with a pair of lovers who are so much in love getting to your wedding is quite the predicament. Throw in the most horrible mother/mother in law to be who will go so far as to kidnap her son
FabulousRaye
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the first bizarro book that made me all teary and sappy. I never expected that to ever happen.

This is a bittersweet, heart-wrenching love story. Two ridiculously in love people, Isobel & Dresden just want to get married. First, can they get the approval of Dresden's deranged mother Elise?

Can they even manage to get to the chapel?! Wait, then some awful apocalyptic disaster happens. How did this happen? What the hell is going on? Will Isobel & Dresden find each other aga
G. Brown
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro
This book is dark, compelling, and nightmarishly surreal. Scandal controls her prose with the precision of a (deranged) surgeon. There's not much I can say about this book without giving away not the ending (which is given away by the title) but the process of getting to the ending. A challenging mix of star-crossed lovers, zombie survival horror, mad science body horror, and snide asides delivered by an Elvis impersonator.

There are moments of brilliance here that are stunningly brutal and fore
Lucas Mangum
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tiffany Scandal's debut novella is a true pleasure to read. A love story for weirdos, it follows the doomed romance of Isobel and Dresden as they try to find love in a dying world. As if doomsday wasn't enough of a problem, the lovers also have to deal Dresden's overbearing sociopath of a mother. A strange and wonderful tale!
Keri B.
This reminds me of something I would have read in high school when I was getting acquainted with surrealism and dadaism. I haven't read something like this since then too, over 20 years ago. It felt like an acid trip, a really deep one, both exhilarating and terrifying. It was an interesting read. I think I was too sober to enjoy it properly.
Melanie Catchpole
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Apocalyptic story of two lovers finding their way back to each other for there to be no happy ending for them.
I do enjoy 'end of the world' type stories and this really was an end of the world story, there is no surviving what was happening. I liked that a lot. There are too many happy endings for a lot of stories these days.

Well written and easily read. Enjoyed a lot.
Suchada Juntarakawe
All the feels.

Reading this book was like having a shot of hot sauce forced down your throat then getting punched in the solar plexus. Definitely not a run of the mill love story and viscerally enjoyable because of it.
Jesse Bullington
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Think Brazil by way of John Waters with some extra nasty body horror and you're on the right track of this oddball bizarro tragedy.
Rosali Penunuri
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read. I have never read from the Bizzaro Genre before, but this is a personal friend and just had to read her creation. I enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • House Hunter
  • Clown Tear Junkies
  • Rico Slade Will Fucking Kill You
  • Haunt

New Bizarro Author Series (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Muscle Memory