Start by marking “Winning Miss Wakefield (Wallflower Weddings, #2)” as Want to Read:
Winning Miss Wakefield (Wallflower Weddings, #2)

Winning Miss Wakefield

(Wallflower Weddings #2)

She's got nothing left to lose…

With her fiancé suddenly engaged to another and her reputation in tatters, Merribeth Wakefield needs a bold plan to reclaim her life. She must be brave. Confident. She must … kiss a rake? The suggestion is ludicrous! Yet when Merribeth finds herself alone with the dark and brooding Lord Knightswold, suddenly the plan doesn't seem so farfetche
Published June 10th 2014 by Avon Impulse

Jo
But she was inside him now, tangled up in the jumble of knots that formed his entire being. It had all started with that damned kiss she’d borrowed. He wished he could give it back. Take her in his arms, crush her mouth to his, and kiss her until every fiber of her was dragged from him.

I absolutely loved this book!!

Bane lost everything because of this evil grandfather who could not stand that his son married a gypsy woman. And for years, Bane has sworn revenge against those who made him an

Juliana Philippa
This was just lovely! I adored, ADORED the exchanges between Merribeth and Bane, aka Simon. The banter between them is fantastic, the chemistry between them LEAPS off of the pages, and I was grinning like a madwoman throughout half of the book.
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
Currently re reading the end of this novel which I love love love! Also I just realized that I love that cover! It’s gorgeous!
Jen Davis
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Merribeth thought she had her entire life planned out. After a longtime understanding with a childhood friend, she thought she would be married and have a stable future. She had even made her own wedding dress. But her life got turned on its ear when her intended told her he was in love with another woman and planned to make his future with her.

Now, Merribeth’s on the edge of society, with tongues wagging about what she could have done to make her man cry off. She has no prospects and is on the
L. Rosario
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I feel tears welling up as I finish a book I consider it one of the best romances I've ever read. Winning Miss Wakefield fits the bill and has earned a spot in my heart.
Jultri
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5/5. Great writing. Fantastic dialogue. Protagonists likeable with sizzling chemistry. My one problem is the backstory of convoluted revenge plot did not all jell together. Highly enjoyable.
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Posted on What I'm Reading

When I started Vivienne Lorret's Winning Miss Wakefield my first thought, "this reminds me of Cruel Intentions". For of you who don't know that movie, Cruel Intentions was made in the 90s and starred Sarah Michelle Gellar, Reese Witherspoon, and Ryan Phillippe. Anyway, the revenge plot and the wager in Winning Miss Wakefield is what reminded me of Cruel Intentions.

Miss Merribeth Wakefield ended up finding out some devastating news. The guy she has been waiting for forev
Amanda

Despite an eye roll-y revenge plot at its center, the sparkling rapport and swoon worthy chemistry between the main couple made this book a really enjoyable read. Bane and Merribeth shared so many great moments: their scorching first kiss at a party, Merribeth scaling Bane’s balcony and, my personal favorite, the embroidered handkerchief that comes to mean everything to them. The friendships Merribeth shared with her group of (mostly former) wallflowers were a particular high point, as
Lisa Filipe
Bane.....Need I say more?

Full review coming
Melanie
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This second book in Ms. Lorrett’s Wallflower Weddings series was as good as the first book, but more diabolical in plot and feel.

The heroine, Merribeth, was a bit too meek at the start of the story, but by the end of the book she finds her stride and strength.

I truly adored the hero! I think he made this book worth the read. I thoroughly enjoyed him and his journey to his happily ever after. He did a great job hiding his true self from the ton, but deep down lurked a man of gold.

I liked the awk
Candace N
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't begin to describe how much I loved this story! I loved the storyline and the chemistry between the hero and heroine was intense. I loved every minute of it. The hero was so romantic *swoon* . I did not want to put this book down!
Swanangel15's Book Review
"Winning Miss Wakefield" is such an interesting title. When you hear these words, you think of a man who is so in love with Miss Wakefield that he tries everything to win her heart, or in a more twisted way he wants Miss Wakefield in order to accomplish something and then cast her aside. Do you like wagers? then you're going to love this book.

Merribeth Wakefield has had her reputation ripped to shreds all because her fiance of five years (FIVE YEARS) has decided he wanted to marry someone else,
Miriam
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, series
It started with a kiss, that led to another, that led to another. Words were spoken, caresses were given. Feelings that were supposed to remain under wraps burst through their bindings, searching for a place to take root and flourish. Just as they blossomed, they were denied any chance of nourishment. They didn’t die, didn’t fade into memory. They remained…and survived when they shouldn’t have.

Bane and Merribeth’s love grew from so many different things: their ease of conversation, the way they
Lisa
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ouab-2014
Merribeth Wakefield saw her parents get washed overboard at the age of 10 and has been living with her aunt since. She has been betrayed and ruined by one she thought was a friend, not a good thing for a wallflower. All she wants form life is certainty- stability. She is ready to break out of her shell; she has nothing left to lose.

Bane, the Marquess of Knightswold, is a consummate gambler and rake. He is handsome and you can see the Gypsy he has in his blood. He despised his grandfather, who he
Farrah
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sweet and enjoyable read, Winning Miss Wakefield was a lovely historical romance. It was a quick, light read, that I really liked.

Merribeth was a good heroine. She was a likable, kind character. I wish that she had been able to assert herself better, rather than go with what others put her up to. But, she did grow stronger over the course of the book, so I ended up liking her.

Bane was wonderful. He put on a formidable mask of a callous rake, but he was really very sweet and felt everything d
BookMaven
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Lorret, More Please! FAST!

Miss Merribeth Wakefield's almost fiance has just broken up with her after a five year "understanding". This development has tarnished her reputation, but Lady Eve Sterling has just the remedy: Kiss a rake. That rake turns out to be Bane, the Marquess of Knightswold. Bane is determined not to marry. He has only one thing on his mind: Revenge . . . and Miss Wakefield? Maybe there are two things on his mind now that he has met his Venus.

The ending of this book is the
Arshia
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
At first I was a little lost because I was trying to remember what had happened to Merribeth and once I was enlightened (like on page two or three.) I remembered feeling angry when I had read her back story in "Daring Miss Danvers." Poor girl waited five years to get a proposal only to hear that the idiot had fallen in love with someone else. Her reputation is in tatters because everyone believes there is something wrong with her. Her sponsor, Lady Eve, comes up with a plan that's quiet absurd b ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Standard romance fare, it was neither infuriating nor particularly memorable. I've actually forgotten a lot of what happened and I just read it last week. Still, if it didn't stick with me that's because it didn't incite feelings of adulation or rage, and any time a book manages to not disgust me, I count that as a win. If you're in the mood for a sweet, forgettable romance, this should do the trick.
Ltlmer2
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lorret gets everything right. Interesting characters, fun dialogue, an intriguing plot and just the right level of emotion. A new favorite.

Note: The heat level is fairly low in Lorret's books. I normally like a bit more spice, but I didn't mind or miss it in the slightest. The chemistry is still electric even if not very graphic.
Joan Osborne
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Loved it!

Absolutely loved the interactions between Merribeth and Vane. Was so much fun watching Bane, aconfirmed rake fall, in love. The story held my interest and I found it totally entertaining. Highly recommend it!
Dillia
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Yet another one to have me crying like I lost my best friend lol. THIS is why I love regency romance novels. I get so into them. I've genre hopped for years until I landed upon my very first Rakes and Rogues series. Now I'm stuck and never leaving.
Kathleen Crowell
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Better than book 1--liked the story and characters more, even though they are related.
Lexie
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bane is officially on my list of favorite historical romance heroes.
Rachel
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fun one. Going to read everything Vivienne Lorret has written now.
Erin
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I don’t know why exactly, but Lorret’s writing style bothered me in this one. I’ve read other novels of hers and hadn’t been bothered.

I think it stems from too much—too many metaphors and fussy descriptions. She describes actions in excruciating detail. Oftentimes I had to reread the dialogue a couple times to remember what they were talking about because there was so much happening in between.

In the beginning there’s a scene when Bane takes a glass out of Merribeth’s hand. But the heavy-hande
Elizabeth A
Apr 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh my GOD. I loved the 1st book in this series & had high hopes going in, especially since it was a wallflower/rake flirtation training situation (I love that trope, when the student outstrips the master... *chef's kiss*). But the descriptions in this book ranged from regular bad ("tasting her sadness," wtf?) to orientalist bad (the overuse of "primitive" and "pagan" "drumbeats" for heroine's heartbeat/arousal... yikes), and the aunt's portrayal was uncomfortably sexist & existed 99% as ...more
Thewalkingdreamer
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
2,5... I was unwise enough to read this just after reading a Meredith Duran book, and unfortunately it can't stand the comparison. Although the characters and storyline were compelling enough, it still is a very generic HR, a GOOD formulaic one nonetheless.
Sandcastles
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Revenge plot. Benign bland heroine
Jen
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great story.
The plot could have been better, but the chemistry between Bane & Merribeth made up for it.

I may check out the other stories in this series
Dianna
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Yay a new author for me! If you like Sophie Jordan then u will like this author too. I’m moving on to the next in series
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 11, 2015 05:34PM
  • The Improper Bride (Sisters of Scandal, #5)
  • A Match Made in Mistletoe
  • Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)
  • All I Want for Christmas Is a Duke
  • Kisses, She Wrote (The Prince Catchers, #1.5)
  • The Devil Is a Marquess (Rescued from Ruin, #4)
  • The Lady Who Loved Him (The Brethren, #2)
  • The Ruin of a Rogue (The Wild Quartet, #2)
  • The Silent Duke (The 1797 Club, #4)
  • One-Eyed Dukes Are Wild (Dukes Behaving Badly, #3)
  • A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal (The Lords of Worth, #2.5)
  • Practically Wicked
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Moonlight On My Mind (Second Sons, #3)
  • Once Upon a Maiden Lane (Maiden Lane, #12.5)
  • In Your Wildest Scottish Dreams (MacIain, #1)
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
USA Today bestselling author VIVIENNE LORRET transforms copious amounts of tea into words. She is an Avon author of works including the Wallflower Wedding series, the Rakes of Fallow Hall series, the Season’s Original series, and the Misadventures in Matchmaking series. For more information on her books, please sign up for her newsletter @ www.vivlorret.net

Wallflower Weddings (4 books)
  • Tempting Mr. Weatherstone (Wallflower Weddings, #0.5)
  • Daring Miss Danvers (Wallflower Weddings, #1)
  • Finding Miss McFarland (Wallflower Weddings, #3)
“A jealous woman holds poison on her tongue.” 3 likes
“You have something else of mine, Miss Wakefield,” he amended. “I believe you meant to borrow it and return it directly, but you never did return . . . my heart. It’s been in your possession since our first meeting.”

She drew in a staggered breath, daring to hope.
“Though without a heart, one might wonder how I came to be here, standing before you right now,” he went on, making her heard spin again. “Do you wonder, Miss Wakefield?”

When she nodded, he grinned and placed her hand over his chest.
“There is a heart in here, but it is not mine. You see, I believe you made a dire mistake our first meeting. When you meant to return mine, instead you gave me yours. Doesn’t it beat strangely beneath my breast?”
2 likes