Start by marking “Winning Miss Wakefield (Wallflower Weddings, #2)” as Want to Read:
Winning Miss Wakefield (Wallflower Weddings, #2)

Winning Miss Wakefield

(Wallflower Weddings #2)

She's got nothing left to lose…

With her fiancé suddenly engaged to another and her reputation in tatters, Merribeth Wakefield needs a bold plan to reclaim her life. She must be brave. Confident. She must … kiss a rake? The suggestion is ludicrous! Yet when Merribeth finds herself alone with the dark and brooding Lord Knightswold, suddenly the plan doesn't seem so farfetche
Published June 10th 2014 by Avon Impulse

Start your review of Winning Miss Wakefield (Wallflower Weddings, #2)
Missy
Mar 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
I began reading this book on Feb.21 for a buddy read. It did not really draw me in until the 56% mark and even then, it didn't hold my interest for very long. I took a two-week break from the book and had to force myself to finish it for the buddy read. I even skipped reading the love scene just so I can finish the book quicker! I can now confidently say that this author's books are not for me.

I don't know what went wrong or why this book didn't work for me. The attraction between the main char
Jo
But she was inside him now, tangled up in the jumble of knots that formed his entire being. It had all started with that damned kiss she’d borrowed. He wished he could give it back. Take her in his arms, crush her mouth to his, and kiss her until every fiber of her was dragged from him.

I absolutely loved this book!!

Bane lost everything because of this evil grandfather who could not stand that his son married a gypsy woman. And for years, Bane has sworn revenge against those who mad

Erika ♥OwlwaysReading♥
Winning Miss Wakefield Winning Miss Wakefield (Wallflower Weddings, #2) by Vivienne Lorret vs In Total Surrender In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3) by Anne Mallory . I thought I'd seen this cover before. ...more
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
Currently re reading the end of this novel which I love love love! Also I just realized that I love that cover! It’s gorgeous!
Juliana Philippa
This was just lovely! I adored, ADORED the exchanges between Merribeth and Bane, aka Simon. The banter between them is fantastic, the chemistry between them LEAPS off of the pages, and I was grinning like a madwoman throughout half of the book.
Jordan
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This felt particularly contrived to me. The pretense, the plot, a whole bunch of awfully-convenient-yet-highly-unlikely happenings. (view spoiler) ...more
L. Rosario
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I feel tears welling up as I finish a book I consider it one of the best romances I've ever read. Winning Miss Wakefield fits the bill and has earned a spot in my heart.
Jultri
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5/5. Great writing. Fantastic dialogue. Protagonists likeable with sizzling chemistry. My one problem is the backstory of convoluted revenge plot did not all jell together. Highly enjoyable.
Jen Davis
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Merribeth thought she had her entire life planned out. After a longtime understanding with a childhood friend, she thought she would be married and have a stable future. She had even made her own wedding dress. But her life got turned on its ear when her intended told her he was in love with another woman and planned to make his future with her.

Now, Merribeth’s on the edge of society, with tongues wagging about what she could have done to make her man cry off. She has no prospects and is on the
Miriam
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, historical
It started with a kiss, that led to another, that led to another. Words were spoken, caresses were given. Feelings that were supposed to remain under wraps burst through their bindings, searching for a place to take root and flourish. Just as they blossomed, they were denied any chance of nourishment. They didn’t die, didn’t fade into memory. They remained…and survived when they shouldn’t have.

Bane and Merribeth’s love grew from so many different things: their ease of conversation, the way they
Aly
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

The man destroyed his family and ostracized him for his gypsy blood so when Bane's grandfather die, he's not sorry about it. In fact, it brings him a certain comfort to think that in inheriting everything, he can somehow get his revenge from the cruel man. For Bane, it's clear ; he'll never marry nor sire an heir. The title of Marquess of Knightwold will end with him. But what if there was a woman who had the means to make him lose his contenance?

Everyone knows that she's ruined, now that her
Amanda

Despite an eye roll-y revenge plot at its center, the sparkling rapport and swoon worthy chemistry between the main couple made this book a really enjoyable read. Bane and Merribeth shared so many great moments: their scorching first kiss at a party, Merribeth scaling Bane’s balcony and, my personal favorite, the embroidered handkerchief that comes to mean everything to them. The friendships Merribeth shared with her group of (mostly former) wallflowers were a particular high point, as
Pamela
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
4.5 lovely stars. I really liked the leads and their banter. Eve was a little off-putting, but she was supposed to be. Another winner for Ms. Lorret - even if this an older book :)
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Posted on What I'm Reading

When I started Vivienne Lorret's Winning Miss Wakefield my first thought, "this reminds me of Cruel Intentions". For of you who don't know that movie, Cruel Intentions was made in the 90s and starred Sarah Michelle Gellar, Reese Witherspoon, and Ryan Phillippe. Anyway, the revenge plot and the wager in Winning Miss Wakefield is what reminded me of Cruel Intentions.

Miss Merribeth Wakefield ended up finding out some devastating news. The guy she has been waiting for forev
Melanie
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This second book in Ms. Lorrett’s Wallflower Weddings series was as good as the first book, but more diabolical in plot and feel.

The heroine, Merribeth, was a bit too meek at the start of the story, but by the end of the book she finds her stride and strength.

I truly adored the hero! I think he made this book worth the read. I thoroughly enjoyed him and his journey to his happily ever after. He did a great job hiding his true self from the ton, but deep down lurked a man of gold.

I liked the awk
Lisa Filipe
Bane.....Need I say more?

Full review coming
Brandy
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had a hard time keeping me engaged. You can clearly see that Merribeth’s heart wasn’t broken in the beginning, yet for someone with so much spirit, she was pretty lackluster. And I kept getting distracted by the tooth thing.
Candace N
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't begin to describe how much I loved this story! I loved the storyline and the chemistry between the hero and heroine was intense. I loved every minute of it. The hero was so romantic *swoon* . I did not want to put this book down!
Jessica Grogan
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I haven’t read more than one page of this in a week. I think I’m throwing in the towel on this one.
Sandi aka Maudley
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hist-rom
Enjoyable second installment in Wallflower Weddings series - Merribeth and Bane are a perfect match.
Swanangel15's Book Review
"Winning Miss Wakefield" is such an interesting title. When you hear these words, you think of a man who is so in love with Miss Wakefield that he tries everything to win her heart, or in a more twisted way he wants Miss Wakefield in order to accomplish something and then cast her aside. Do you like wagers? then you're going to love this book.

Merribeth Wakefield has had her reputation ripped to shreds all because her fiance of five years (FIVE YEARS) has decided he wanted to marry someone else,
Lisa
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ouab-2014
Merribeth Wakefield saw her parents get washed overboard at the age of 10 and has been living with her aunt since. She has been betrayed and ruined by one she thought was a friend, not a good thing for a wallflower. All she wants form life is certainty- stability. She is ready to break out of her shell; she has nothing left to lose.

Bane, the Marquess of Knightswold, is a consummate gambler and rake. He is handsome and you can see the Gypsy he has in his blood. He despised his grandfather, who he
Farrah
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sweet and enjoyable read, Winning Miss Wakefield was a lovely historical romance. It was a quick, light read, that I really liked.

Merribeth was a good heroine. She was a likable, kind character. I wish that she had been able to assert herself better, rather than go with what others put her up to. But, she did grow stronger over the course of the book, so I ended up liking her.

Bane was wonderful. He put on a formidable mask of a callous rake, but he was really very sweet and felt everything d
BookMaven
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Lorret, More Please! FAST!

Miss Merribeth Wakefield's almost fiance has just broken up with her after a five year "understanding". This development has tarnished her reputation, but Lady Eve Sterling has just the remedy: Kiss a rake. That rake turns out to be Bane, the Marquess of Knightswold. Bane is determined not to marry. He has only one thing on his mind: Revenge . . . and Miss Wakefield? Maybe there are two things on his mind now that he has met his Venus.

The ending of this book is the
Arshia
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
At first I was a little lost because I was trying to remember what had happened to Merribeth and once I was enlightened (like on page two or three.) I remembered feeling angry when I had read her back story in "Daring Miss Danvers." Poor girl waited five years to get a proposal only to hear that the idiot had fallen in love with someone else. Her reputation is in tatters because everyone believes there is something wrong with her. Her sponsor, Lady Eve, comes up with a plan that's quiet absurd b ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Standard romance fare, it was neither infuriating nor particularly memorable. I've actually forgotten a lot of what happened and I just read it last week. Still, if it didn't stick with me that's because it didn't incite feelings of adulation or rage, and any time a book manages to not disgust me, I count that as a win. If you're in the mood for a sweet, forgettable romance, this should do the trick.
Ltlmer2
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lorret gets everything right. Interesting characters, fun dialogue, an intriguing plot and just the right level of emotion. A new favorite.

Note: The heat level is fairly low in Lorret's books. I normally like a bit more spice, but I didn't mind or miss it in the slightest. The chemistry is still electric even if not very graphic.
Joan Osborne
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Loved it!

Absolutely loved the interactions between Merribeth and Vane. Was so much fun watching Bane, aconfirmed rake fall, in love. The story held my interest and I found it totally entertaining. Highly recommend it!
Dillia
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Yet another one to have me crying like I lost my best friend lol. THIS is why I love regency romance novels. I get so into them. I've genre hopped for years until I landed upon my very first Rakes and Rogues series. Now I'm stuck and never leaving.
Lexie
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bane is officially on my list of favorite historical romance heroes.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Historical Romanc...: BR - Winning Miss Wakefield - Vivienne Lorret 11 25 Mar 17, 2020 12:14AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 11, 2015 05:34PM

• The Virgin and the Rogue (The Rogue Files, #6)
  • The Wicked Wallflower (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1)
  • The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • About a Rogue (Desperately Seeking Duke, #1)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • The Duke Buys a Bride (The Rogue Files, #3)
  • Lady Saves The Duke (Lord Love a Lady #3)
  • Lady Wallflower (Notorious Ladies of London, #2)
  • The Duchess in His Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #4)
  • All the Ways to Ruin a Rogue (The Debutante Files, #2)
  • The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount (Desperate Debutantes, #3)
  • Wallflower Gone Wild (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #2)
  • All I Want for Christmas Is a Duke
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • When the Marquess Was Mine (The Wagers of Sin, #3)
  • Heiress for Hire (A Duke's Heiress, #1)
  • Some Like It Scandalous (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #2)
USA Today bestselling author VIVIENNE LORRET transforms copious amounts of tea into words. She is an Avon author of series including the Wallflower Weddings, the Rakes of Fallow Hal, the Season’s Original, the Misadventures in Matchmaking, and the MATING HABITS OF SCOUNDRELS. For more information on her books, please sign up for her newsletter @ www.vivlorret.net ...more

Wallflower Weddings (4 books)
  • Tempting Mr. Weatherstone (Wallflower Weddings, #0.5)
  • Daring Miss Danvers (Wallflower Weddings, #1)
  • Finding Miss McFarland (Wallflower Weddings, #3)

News & Interviews

“A jealous woman holds poison on her tongue.” 4 likes
“You have something else of mine, Miss Wakefield,” he amended. “I believe you meant to borrow it and return it directly, but you never did return . . . my heart. It’s been in your possession since our first meeting.”

She drew in a staggered breath, daring to hope.
“Though without a heart, one might wonder how I came to be here, standing before you right now,” he went on, making her heard spin again. “Do you wonder, Miss Wakefield?”

When she nodded, he grinned and placed her hand over his chest.
“There is a heart in here, but it is not mine. You see, I believe you made a dire mistake our first meeting. When you meant to return mine, instead you gave me yours. Doesn’t it beat strangely beneath my breast?”
2 likes