Start by marking “My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking, and Going with Your Gut” as Want to Read:
My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking, and Going with Your Gut

My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking, and Going with Your Gut

One day, lonely cubicle dweller and otherwise bored New York City transplant Hannah Hart decided to make a fake cooking show for a friend back home in California. She opened her laptop, pulled out some bread and cheese, and then, as one does, started drinking. The video was called "Butter Yo Sh*t" and online sensation My Drunk Kitchen was born.

My Drunk Kitchen (the book!)
Published August 12th 2014 by Dey Street Books (first published July 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about My Drunk Kitchen, please sign up.
Hannah Miller Oh okay, because that was confusing especially since I watch a lot of Hannah Hart and Rosanna Panino and I just love their videos like they are so fun…moreOh okay, because that was confusing especially since I watch a lot of Hannah Hart and Rosanna Panino and I just love their videos like they are so funny sometimes.(less)

Start your review of My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking, and Going with Your Gut
Angie
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first found Hannah Hart when she was at John and Hank Green's Evening of Awesome at Carnegie Hall. I didn't know who she was, but I wanted to find out.
I found My Drunk Kitchen and watched the archive in one long sitting. I adore her puns, her open sexuality and her zany humor. Not only do we share last names (no relation), we're both gay, we enjoy John Green and we make nerdy word jokes.
This book is like an extended YouTube video only you don't think it's gone on too long. I laughed out loud
Renee
Oct 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
How this book received an average of 4 stars is beyond me. Proof that our attention spans have are decreased with that of a flea and that glossy paged books, filled with artistically taken photographs and a handful of sentences printed on an angle is considered a good read. This book is filled with inspirational quotes that are not all that profound or interesting.

I have no problem drinking a glass of wine or a scotch while preparing meals for family or friends, but drunk Hannah's only philosoph
Mary
Jun 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
In all fairness to the author, I would have to preface by saying I didn't GET this book, more than I did not like this book. As I understand she has a show on Youtube which I think would be funny to watch once or twice. But I thought this would be a cookbook of sorts. Instead it's about drinking while eating potato chips and waiting for your frozen lasagna to cook in the microwave. It's a book about being drunk and trying to manage your life, health, sex life...I found it weird, snarky and irrit ...more
Kim G
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I am too old for this shit.
Bunny
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Being a fan of John Green, I had heard of Hannah Hart, but never went to Youtube to find out anything about her. I don't spend a lot of time on Youtube, and I didn't really know what her channel was about. But when I saw this available on Edelweiss, I really was excited to check it out. Plus I do love a good cookbook.

I'm disappointed. Not in the recipes, mind you. While they're intensely unconventional (and most aren't, in fact, real recipes), I actually did see a few that made me pause and thin
Sarah Woodard
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely had Hannah's voice that she has for My Drunk Kitchen, which made it really enjoyable for me. It started out more closely to a cook book, but slowly went to self-help and autobiographical advice. I found it to be a very funny and engaging read. I actually ended up reading it in one sitting. Overall, I think that if you like My Drunk Kitchen you will like this book. The same humor and understanding that Hannah has in her videos can be found in this book. If you haven't seen an ...more
Maggie Baird
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm so proud of Hannah for publishing this book, since she is my number one favourite YouTuber and just a generally amazing person. I really liked the book, but I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped. I wish it was more focused on one idea. Each recipe is supposed to have a life lesson, and I wish she had spent more time connecting the recipes to the lesson, because that's really where I thought the book shone and had a really unique perspective. The sections where she just wrote without recipes ...more
Rachel
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I read this to fill a space for non-fiction about food/drink. This was a difficult space for me to fill at all and I can only hope there's something out there better for someone else to pick up. I'm befuddled by the high ratings. Reading this book is like being the sole sober person at a party of drunks. The drunks are amusing at first, but within five minutes, they are just annoying and all you want to do is go home. None of the recipes are edible. I'm obviously not the intended audience, but I ...more
Heather
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hannah's a big damn deal these days but she has managed to stay so grounded and true to herself despite her astronomical rise to fame. This book made me laugh out loud a lot and think thinky thoughts. I loved every page of it. I think you should pay your dollars for it because Hannah Hart works her ass off. None of what she's accomplished has come easy. And she's one of the good ones and I think we should all be supporting artists who are the good ones.
Dana Gisser
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think my only problem with this book is that I really wanted the tiramisu without calling someplace (or going down to Presti's, which should be the place anyone in Cleveland goes for desserts). The book was great for laughs, and actually a few ideas of food despite the fact it's really a joke-cookbook. I don't actually watch Hannah Harts youtube, and honestly I grabbed the book because John Green had written the forward, but I think I may check out her youtube too!
Ashley
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After going viral and big in the world of YouTube, youtuber Hannah Hart is best known for her "My Drunk Kitchen" videos (which are hilarious!). Her book is full of recipes that turn Into life stories and become a mess of happiness and laughter. You also get get advice in everyday situations. This book will make you laugh and smile so read it!
Melanie
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This is everything I hoped it would be, a short, funny pun filled joyride with one of my favorite YouTubers. Kind of kooky, totally genuine and endearing just like Hannah :)
Adrienne Pettinelli
"You think that a delicious jelly snack is ever crippled by self-doubt? Nope. And you shouldn't be either."
Lindsay
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
In a word? Quirky.

Like the Hannah in her videos, the voice in this book is at times VERY cheesy, punny, Hart-felt, and quaint. I DID learned that bananas are good for anxiety. And I think a slightly (rebellious? anti-elitist? youthful? poverty-stricken?) side of me loved this book because of how much my boyfriend hated it. It doesn't offer glossy prints of high quality, impressive food. Instead, it smashes genres together with the casual gracelessness of a drunk person making a grilled cheese a
Ashley
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty much exactly what I expected: extremely silly, full of puns and references to sex and eating (and drinking, duh), and some frankly disgusting sounding recipes (Also: some fucking genius recipes. Pizza cake? Come on! That's GENIUS.) But she also opens up a little and talks about some real stuff and some scary stuff. But that part is also funny, so don't worry.

Mostly, I kind of want to cook everything in the book and blog about it extensively, just to see if some of these recipes actually w
Renee Cusick
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book greatly. But then, I had been watching the show for some time (a little over a year?) on YouTube and I knew the big secret: It's Not About The Food.

Seriously, if you're a foodie looking for fancy new recipes, for heaven's sake, do not read this book. Depending on your brand of comedy, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as straight-up hilarity, either. It's kind of a Zen practice of making a mess and loving yourself anyway--and Hannah Hart teaches it with more gusto and, wel
Liz De Coster
Funny and personal, but maybe suffers from trying to do too much? I haven't been following Hart's YouTube channel very long, so I can't say if the content is repetitive, but I think the book is engrossing enough that it might turn readers into new fans, so I think it accomplishes its goal in that regard.
Shannon
Dec 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
How this book ended up classified as a "cookbook" I have no idea. I never found 1 recipe within the author's scribbles and musings on life lessons that I would ever consider making or tasting. This book is simply put, a mess. By all means drink while you cook and get creative in the kitchen but skip this book and if you need a laugh check out her YouTube channel instead.
Rebecca
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining but so, so random. About what you'd expect, if you're at all familiar with Hart. If you're not at all familiar with Hart...why are you reading this book? You didn't actually expect edible recipes, did you?
Alexandra
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Easily the best cookbook I've read that really about being in your 20s and not quite having it all figured out. Also the only cookbook I've read that includes a recipe for ordering Thai takeout.
Joannemarie O'Donnell
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I give this book four stars as an adorable look into the mind and heart of "Harto". Her positive outlook on life and her courage and drive for a better life, for herself and everyone she touches comes through here, just as well as in her addictive and enjoyable You Tube web series.

While it is a stretch to consider this a cookbook, it is definitely a wonderful guide to growing up. I think there are so many young adults who can find out a lot about themselves and their place in the world by readin
Jillyn
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I really like Hannah Hart. I used to watch a lot of her My Drunk Kitchen videos in college. I appreciate her quirky sense of humor, her optimism, and (although fairly unrelated to the book at hand) her openness about being LGBT. I was so happy when she got a Food Network show, and I was bummed that it didn't work out for very long.

Unfortunately, I don't think this book is a good representative of her. Or at least, she doesn't translate well into book form.

Calling this a "cookbook" would be very
April
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2017
Hannah Hart seems like a lovely person and I wish her every success, but I think I'm about 20 years too old for this book.
Laura I.
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, favorites
I meant to buy this right when it came out, but I really thought it was a cookbook! I mean, with some cute little puns and funny recipes etc, obviously, but mostly just a regular cookbook marketed to MDK fans. But it's not at all! I'd say it's about 85% memoir/advice and 15% cookbook. And every line of the recipes is WRITTEN to be funny/cute/completely 100% in Hannah voice. It's really like watching her videos, but with shockingly personal and thoughtful tidbits/mini essays thrown in (so sorta l ...more
Mary
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Drunk Kitchen, by Hannah Hart
Hannah Hart secured her fame with her YouTube Channel and offers her fans a witty and raucous compilation of her favorite recipes. Hart’s cookbook is broken down into four sections: Kitchen Basics, Adultolescence, So This is Love, and Family and the Holidays. As stated in the introduction, Hart strives to “show her readers a different way of looking at things. Cookbooks especially.” This is one of those books you read for fun, not necessarily because you think you
Lauren
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hannah Hart is effervescent. If you've ever seen any of her YouTube videos, you know that puns, wine, and inexorably deep self-awareness define her channel and, truthfully, her person.

Sure, the concept might seem simple: get drunk, cook, make a few puns, give some advice and call it a day. However, through her presence on YouTube and now in the form of this absolutely stunning Cook/Self-Help book, Hannah shares the key personal thoughts and experiences off which she bases the advice given throu
Cheryl
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
To be perfectly honest I did think that this was a full cookbook with lots of recipes and pictures. This is not that type of book. It is more of a play by play rulebook to different stages of life:Making the Most of What you Got, Adultolescence, Relationship, and Family and Holidays. Also, Hannah teaches you how you can cope with it in a fun way with food and alcohol. Don't forget the alcohol! Reading this book it appears that Hannah's logic is "Everything just seems to go better with alcohol". ...more
Danielle
I've only ever seen a few episodes of Hannah Hart's YouTube show on which this book is based, so I'm probably not her target audience. I found it to be a somewhat amusing book, but I was hoping that the recipes would be more interesting rather than disgusting sounding. I would definitely not cook/eat pretty much anything in this book. I'm not really sure that's the goal. I guess some of the things would be fine for people who really never cook, but for someone who actually cooks this is not real ...more
Justine
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5/2.75 Stars out of 3 Stars

I really wanted to like this book - and I did, don't get me wrong - but I did not like it as much as I wanted too. In fact, after reading this I walked away feeling that I like Hannah Hart more than the actual book (if that makes any sense). While too cutesy at times, I really liked hearing (reading) what Hannah Hart wanted to say ... she writes with a great outlook on things.

Oh also, if you're looking for a cookbook ... this isn't really a cookbook. But I think tha
Amber
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't gush enough about this book! Buy it now for everyone you know!

To see my full review, and some GREAT pics where I renew my vows while being read to from this book - dressed only in things I found in my kitchen...click here: http://www.memyshelfandi.com/2014/08/...
2017 Reading Chal...: My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking and Going with Your Gut by Hannah Hart 1 11 May 08, 2015 01:42PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #2 - My Drunk Kitchen 1 5 Jan 05, 2015 10:56AM

• Binge
  • Grace & Style: The Art of Pretending You Have It
  • I've Got This Round
  • The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire
  • Tom's Daily Plan: Over 80 Fuss-Free Recipes for a Happier, Healthier You. All Day, Every Day.
  • The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School
  • The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • In the Company of Women: Inspiration and Advice from over 100 Makers, Artists, and Entrepreneurs
  • Tout Sweet: Hanging Up My High Heels For A New Life In Rural France
  • Primary Colors: A Novel of Politics
  • Le Divorce
  • The Last Time They Met
  • Dan and Phil Go Outside
  • Friday's Child: A classic Regency romance
  • Our Stories, Our Voices: 21 YA Authors Get Real About Injustice, Empowerment, and Growing Up Female in America
Hannah Hart is a Youtuber, comedian, author, actress and somewhat of a chef. Her Youtube channel MyHarto features her weekly My Drunk Kitchen videos. She has also collaborated with a multitude of other Youtubers including her best friends Mamrie Hart and Grace Helbig. Hannah, Grace and Mamrie also co-created the movie Camp Takota where Hannah Hart plays a supporting role of Allison Henry.