Start by marking “The Prize: Vermont (Tales from a Revolution)” as Want to Read:
The Prize: Vermont (Tales from a Revolution)

The Prize: Vermont

(Tales from a Revolution)

Caleb's father is serving with Ethan Allen's Green Mountain Boys as the long-anticipated open war against the British rages up and down the length of Lake Champlain. Between his duties on the family farm and constant worry about his father's safety, the young man's attentions are already fully occupied when a fateful encounter with an unlikely neighbor changes everything. ...more
ebook, 2nd Edition
Published October 1st 2013 by Brief Candle Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prize

Noah
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!
Since Ii have a camp right on Lake Champlain and have a perfect view of Carleton's Prize (The Prize) i could see everything unfold. I could see the battle here right on the lake. Who thought a 15 year old boy and a pirate could perform a friendship to become family, when the boy (Caleb) marries Captain Mallet's daughter, Lunette. I only reccommend this book if you have been to Lake Champlain, so you can get the full affect of the whole story. I could see Caleb, Lunette and M
Kate
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely wonderful. Having grown up in that area or Vermont I found it extremely easy to picture the settlement and the lake which created a lot of nostalgia for me. Great balance of fact and fiction. I was slightly disappointed in the ending but perhaps I just wasn't ready to let the characters go so quickly.
Troy Ciesco
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this was a very good book. I absolutely loved the characters, and the author's use of historical context was incredible. Since the historical context was what I was searching for, and the author made me feel like I was in Vermont during the American Revolution, I gave it five stars.

However, I wasn't a huge fan of the plot of the book. One problem with historical fiction in general is that there's only so far you can stray from history. Even given that concession, though, I felt like the
Malia
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to Historical Fiction, I always wonder how much of the novel will be historical facts.

This novel had the perfect mixture of fact and fiction to create an entertaining story and at the same time piqued my interest in learning more about the Revolutionary War.

I highly recommend this novel. It grabbed my attention from the start and kept it. Now I can't wait until the next book comes out.
Michelle Isenhoff
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the border between New York and Vermont lies Lake Champlain, like a 125-mile-long wedge cleaving the two states apart. Its northern end has access to the all-important St. Lawrence River; its southern end nearly reaches the Hudson River. During the centuries in which water travel was far superior to overland, this waterway was invaluable. In years of conflict, a contest for control was inevitable.

Lars Hedbor has crafted a superb novel set on the Vermont shore of Lake Champlain at the outset
Jessica Bronder
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This takes place around the time the colonists are starting to settle America. Caleb and his family live on Lake Champlain. His father, Elijah, has joined the Green Mountain Boys and is helping fight off the British. That has left Caleb, his brother Samuel, and mother Polly to run the family farm. Caleb has taken to watching Lake Champlain for British activity and reporting it to the local town.

On one of his trips, he runs into the French Captain Mallett. Captain Mallett wants to know what Caleb
Amy Rosenkoetter
Lars Hedbor is a dear friend of mine, so I have to admit that my own reading may be a bit biased, but I don't really think so. I received nothing in exchange for my review. As a lifelong reader, I am very critical of books with unfounded backgrounds, or poor grammar, or a lack of subject knowledge. While my primary interests are mystery and the paranormal, I have really enjoyed this foray into historical fiction. The characters read as very real, and the situations in which they find themselves ...more
Lisl
One thing I like best in the world is the ordinary. While fascinated with history and, indeed, some of the figures who played pivotal roles in certain events, I know too there were others whose parts, even when as witness alone, are precious in the memory of our nation. Imagine if others whose lives we know little about had somehow been able to record (or have recorded) events as they saw and lived them—imagine the greater understanding we would have of their time, how much closer we could be to ...more
Miranda
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well depicted tale interwoven with the fabric of true, historical facts. I thoroughly enjoyed this read.
zakhro
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very interesting and easy to understand. useful for those who is interested in world history and independence in America.
it only takes one night to read!
Donna
I was anticipating more of an historical and detailed accounting of what was going on at the time and I chose this book based upon others' reviews inferring the same, so I was somewhat disappointed. It was a nice story nonetheless, just not the story I thought it would be; it read more like a love story between Caleb, the young Vermont man in the story, and Lunette, the French settler's daughter.
Kat
I think it's time to admit that I'm just not going to finish this one. Perfectly decent historical set in the days of the American Revolution--but too much talking and not enough battle for my taste. (There was a ship on the cover, see, so I was hoping for some awesome nautical warfare.)
Clark
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very well researched and well-written novel about the little-known revolutionary battles fought on Lake Champlain in Vermont. Four Stars!!!
Julie
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Too short for my taste, but good period history that I didn't know much about. I didn't find the dialogue very realistic, which is why the 3 stars.
Jackie
Dec 23, 2016
Sonia Cassell
Oct 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Young Adult Book ...: New YA Historical Fiction - American Revolution 1 6 Sep 22, 2011 02:39PM
What made the American Colonists turn their back on their King, and fight for independence? How were they different from us–and how were their hopes and fears familiar to our own hearts?

These are the sorts of questions that I think are important to ask in examining the American Revolution, and in the pages of my novels, I suggest some possible answers.

I am an amateur historian, linguist, brewer, f

Tales from a Revolution (9 books)
  • The Light: New Jersey (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Smoke: New York (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Break: Nova-Scotia (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Declaration: South-Carolina (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Wind: West-Florida (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Darkness: Maine (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Path: Tales From a Revolution - Rhode-Island