Start by marking “Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4)” as Want to Read:
Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4)

Manners & Mutiny

(Finishing School #4)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  11,280 ratings  ·  1,452 reviews
If one must flirt...flirt with danger.
Lessons in the art of espionage aboard Mademoiselle Geraldine's floating dirigible have become tedious without Sophronia's sootie Soap nearby. She would rather thwart dastardly Picklemen, yet her concerns about their wicked intentions are ignored.

Who can she trust? Royal werewolf dewan? Stylish vampire Lord Akeldama? Only one thing i
Published November 3rd 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Manners & Mutiny, please sign up.
Sydney There is very little romance. This book is more about adventures, heart racing action and quick thinking.
Kate I have no doubt it will be on Audible. Gail has said in interviews that she feels like her books are meant to be heard more than read. As for when,…moreI have no doubt it will be on Audible. Gail has said in interviews that she feels like her books are meant to be heard more than read. As for when, usually the day of the books releasing (so November), but usually you can pre-order the audiobook a month ahead. (less)

·  11,280 ratings  ·  1,452 reviews

Lindsey Rey
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
[4.5 Stars]

THE PARASOL PROTECTORATE FEELS ARE STRONG Y'ALL!
Maria V. Snyder
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe this is the last book! SOB! I loved this series. I've listened to all four on audio - the narrator, Moira Quirk is fantastic and she has read all of Gail Carriger's audio books - well, all the ones I've listened to - Finishing School and the Parasol protectorate series (and the Prudence series, of which I listened to the first book).

The books are just plain fun and they're set in the generation before Alexia and her Parasol. I had a long drive to upstate New York and home, and th
Sanaa
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-favorites
[5 Stars] Loved it. Can't say it was entirely perfect, but I love everything Gail Carriger writes. Can't wait to read what she has in store for us next!
Ferdy
Spoilers

The prequel series has mostly been a let down, it has none of the charm and humour and adventure as the The Parasol Protectorate books. The best thing about the series has been the great friendships and some of the secondary characters. The overarching plot on the other hand has had very few points of interest, the whole picklemen thing was too silly and boring for words. Worst of all Sophronia was an unlikeable dry bore, she had no spark whatsoever. It didn't help that she was paired wi
Megan Andrews
Apr 04, 2015 marked it as to-read
Can there please be more Felix Mercey action! I do not fancy Soap all that much!!!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

It is with a heavy heart that I say goodbye to Gail Carriger’s Finishing School series, albeit knowing without a doubt that this wonderful author will give us so much more to enjoy.

It was very easy to fall in love with these characters and their quirks yet again. Each of them is a small work of art, an unforgettable combination of oddities and personality traits. Sophoronia in particular is very easy to love, and so very competent to boot! I loved her in this book more than I ever loved her be
Horsegirl275
An absolutely topping ending to a fantastic series. Plus, this installment gives us insights to many characters introduced in her Parasol Protectorate series, which is delightful. All in all, one of the best books I've read this year.

*****************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

WE HAVE A COVER! ALERT, ALERT, WE HAVE A COVER! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

*Cries with happiness*

Alexa
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, fantasy, ya
Around 3.5 stars.

This was a good conclusion to the series.

Contrary to the previous installments, the plot actually made sense, and Sophronia isn't super special and doesn't save the day on her own.

It was almost sensible!

However it also means that I found it less fun, we still have tons of gadgets and gizmos, and whozits and whatzits galore. But the silliness that characterized this series in the beginning seems to ebb.

The romance plot also comes to a conclusion, with our leading lady finall
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Now I'm REALLY looking forward to the Parasol Protectorate books. And since the second Custard Protocol book comes out this year, well... that goes without saying ;)

For some reason, I am SO turned on by the Soaphronia pairing. I don't know if it's the class differences or just the way Moira narrates Soap's voice, but GAWWWD. I mean, they're up there with Anna & Charles from Alpha & Omega, if that tells you anything. I would read ALL the Soaphronia smut. And I'm not a smut reader by any m
Minna
I declare you properly finished.
Jenny - Book Sojourner
Jan 02, 2015 marked it as to-read
Want it, need it, gotta have it!
Allison
This was just so much fun. I laughed. I wished for more at the end. What more can you say?
Kristen Cansler
Dec 14, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-print

Bee (Heart Full of Books)
You can definitely see the progression of the characters as they get older, and although I miss the more school-orientated feel of the first two books, and the plots got a bit formulaic, I'm really happy with how it ended!
Shima
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was somewhat disappointed by the first half of this book, but in the end it all turned out ok.

I don't have much to say, the plot, I believe wasn't completely up to par compared to the last ones, and Felix and Soap both came off as somewhat unlikable in this book.

I also believe Felix, Dimity and Agatha didn't get the endings they deserved. In the end the author went on to explain what the teachers and some other minor characters ended up after the series, along with tidbits about Sophronia an
Sara (Freadom Library)
THIS WAS SO GOOD!

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 4.5 out of 5 stars
I don’t know what else I can say about these book without starting to sound repetitive, so I’m just not going to try, okay? The plot is action packed and totally entertaining. I was a bit taken back with how it flowed and what ended up happening but it was a good surprise! This story is intense, powerful but definitely a lot of fun. The romance is finally a bigger part o
Kopratic
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a delightful read! The characters, the setting, the humor...all of it just worked so well. It didn't quite engage me enough to warrant 5 stars, though. But still one I'd definitely recommend to those looking for a nice, light-hearted Fantasy of Manners book.
Ian
Gail Carriger can be hit and miss.
Some of her books are great, some feel aimless.
Manners & Mutiny is in the 'great' column.
It's a fun YA steampunk adventure set in the 19th century.
An enjoyable conclusion to the Finishing School series.
K.
12/9/2016
This wraps up the series so wonderfully. The shippiness is totally adorable. I still love all the references to the Parasol Protectorate series. I have a lot of feelings about (view spoiler)

Basically? This world is delightful. The characters are wonderful. I ship it like whoa. The end.

6/11/2015
4.5 stars.

Excuse me while I flail forever. I love
Simon Brading
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good end to a thoroughly entertaining series
Maarja
So, this was the final part of the Finishing School series. While the first book was more suitable for the middle school age group (the characters were still rather childish), as the series has progressed, the characters have grown into young women, and this book is definitely of the YA variety, with a strong romance storyline (which started in the previous book already). (view spoiler) ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

MANNERS & MUTINY is a wonderfully action packed and fun end to a very unique series. One thing I loved about this book was how it so neatly melds into the Parasol Protectorate series as a precursor to that series' story. I knew there would be a connection obviously with some of the same characters appearing in both series but the way it makes it so you could start with Finishing School and then pick up Parasol Protectorate right away was very cool.
Yasmin ✨
Normally I love or at least really like Gail Carriger's books, but I just couldn't like this one.

I guess I was a bit bored with the story of this series; it was dragging a bit and I didn't think it was all that interesting anymore. The characters are really what make me love Gail's books so much but in Manners and Mutiny they weren't as funny or well written as usual. I did like some of the side characters, but I honestly couldn't stand Sophronia anymore and I hated reading about her. Soap also
Book Riot Community
This is the fourth and final book of Gail Carriger’s Finishing School series, and there was much squeeing. After the first three holding my attention but not being as much to write home about as the other two series in the same universe, I was overjoyed to have a compelling, enticing ending to the set. And now maybe I need to go read Soulless again… — Jessica Pryde

from The Best Books We Read In January: http://bookriot.com/2016/02/01/riot-r...
Ailish
Jan 09, 2015 added it
Me:*oohh cover*
Me:*ahh!! Yellow!*

I don't like yellow :( but I love this series so much it doesn't really matter!
Medini

**Exhales deeply**

Well… finally that’s done. Whew. I wasn’t expecting that whirlwind at all!

SPOILERS AHEAD

While the first three books in this series were a tad childish and silly at times, this one is a lot more serious and fast paced. In Waistcoats & Weaponry, we saw Sophronia, Dimity, Soap and Felix take on a train, fighting their arch nemesis, Monique, ultimately realizing that the real enemies were the Picklemen.

Manners & Mutiny reveals the Picklemen’s twisted plot: They want to co
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gail Carriger brings the Finishing School series to a finish with Manners & Mutiny and I must say, things do go out with a bang! Sophronia has had a time of it all while attending Mademoiselle Geraldine's, but a proper lady knows not to complain as such!

While I could never really fully get into this series as a whole, I have enjoyed it on some level! I guess, it's just been too long since I read the first book and even binging the remaining books continued to leave me befuddled as to a few
Lexxi Kitty
And so this specific story comes to an end. A story that I had originally avoided because I'm not really into reading young adult books set back in the 19th century England set in a finishing school. And, yes this part is particularly important, mixed up somehow with 'Steampunk' (a genre I've rarely liked (the exception to that 'rarely liked' is, oddly enough, that prior series I'd read by Gail Carriger (which this series here, Finishing School, is a prequel).

My reasons for avoiding the series w
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

The beginning of the story is a bit slow, though I never felt bored. It focuses more on the girls and the fallout from their 'adventures' in the last book, particularly in dealing with Sophronia's love life and the issues therein.

My main complaint about this section of the book is just that it was too repetitive, especially with the "I like Soap, but we can never be together" stuff. Also, I didn't feel there was a lot of actual intelligencing going on, and whatever Sophronia discovered was m
C.P. Cabaniss
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed listening to this and had fun with it, but the series was just lacking something for me overall. There didn't seem to be much depth to the plot or characters, and although I found them fun, it just wasn't brilliant.

One thing that was off for me in this one was the perception of time. I don't feel like the explanations for when things happened really matched up with previous installments. And while the story had an overall satisfacory ending, I would have liked to know more about some o
  • Brilliant Devices (Magnificent Devices, #4)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels, #2)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
  • The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles, #4)
  • The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • Ether & Elephants (Gaslight Chronicles, #8)
  • The Friday Society
  • A Clockwork Heart (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #2)
  • Renegade Magic
  • The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)
  • The Sumage Solution (San Andreas Shifters, #1)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

Finishing School (4 books)
  • Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
  • Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
  • Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)
“A lady must always be prepared. Snacks are an essential part of espionage.” Sophronia” 30 likes
“He wants to know why my marks aren’t better. Why I don’t speak fluent French. Why I can’t kill a fully grown man with a nutcracker.” 13 likes