Start by marking “Before You (Before & After, #1)” as Want to Read:
Before You (Before & After, #1)

Before You

(Before & After #1)

Some say love is deadly. Some say love is beautiful. I say it is both.

Faith Watters spent her junior year traveling the world, studying in exquisite places, before returning to Oviedo High School. From the outside her life is picture-perfect. Captain of the dance team. Popular. Happy. Too bad its all a lie.

It will haunt me. It will claim me. It will shatter me. And I don't
Published July 29th 2014 by K-Teen

Start your review of Before You (Before & After, #1)
Keeley
I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Before you is an an amazing young adult contemporary read from an outstanding new voice. Amber Hart has given us characters to fall in love with and a plot that had me hooked.

Before You is a tale of two star-crossed lovers. Everyone thinks Faith and Diego shouldn't be together, she is a respected daughter of a pastor who doesn't want to ruin the reputation of her dad and he is an ex gang member from the wrong side of the tracks,
Jeraca
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this free eARC novel in exhange for my honest review.

Wow. This is another version of Romeo and Juliet where they are star crossed lovers not to be together because of society issues. But man does the chemistry fly off of the page. And I love Diego so much. Such a bad boy with a soft heart. And he tried to stay away from Faith so hard, but she was a persistant girl.

And Faith. Wanting to be the perfect daughter for her dad and thinking she is failing after her slip up. Honestly, even
mythicgeek
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
No, for real though. Read this book. I don't often like 1st person, I don't often like alternating POVs, and I almost never read straight-up contemporary romance. And yet I couldn't put this book down. Perfect for the We Need Diverse Books campaign. It's on sale on Tuesday July 29th. Make sure you get it and read it!
Erika Skaggs
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hart's brilliant blend of moral, emotional and sexual tension made this impossible to put down. I can't wait for the sequel.
Chrissy T
Aug 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
As a Latin woman, I felt a little offended with how Latin males are portrayed in this book. I wanted to really love this story because of the cultural differences both of the MC's had; but honestly it didn't work. At all. The author tried to include Spanish words in every single dialogue scene Diego had, and it was awful! I don't think you need to be Latin in order to speak Spanish, but it was very clear the author doesn't speak the language. Not that it's a requirement in order to write about a ...more
Aimee
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Faith is perfect on the outside and broken on the inside. She wears a mask to make people think that she's the predictable pastor's daughter everyone expects her to be.

Diego just moved to the US from Cuba to escape his past and to try and start a new life on the straight and narrow but trouble keeps finding him.

This book reminds me a lot of Perfect Chemistry and also another book I just read called One, Two, Three. It's the classic good girl meets bad boy concept with a twist. Faith and Diego
Mari
Jun 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Visit The Sirenic Codex for more!

So disappointed.

As a huge fan of Simone Elkeles Perfect Chemistry, Im always on the lookout for the next best thing. When I saw Before You, I needed to have it. The synopsis was so intriguing and I loved the mysterious pasts and bi-racial relationships. Too bad the excitement waned after the first few pages.

I may have psyched myself out of this one, because there is nothing I can say except I was disappointed. My problem wasnt with the writing, Ms. Hart is
Alannah Clarke
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
Not a bad book, I just could not put the book down at all. Amber Hart manages to create brilliant and realistic characters as well tackling as tackling some very tough topics, Hart gave me some information about Cuba and gang life.

Overall, I thought it was a great book overall and I would recommend it to everyone.
Celeste
loved. full review very soon!

This book was originally reviewed on The Book Hookup.

**I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher, but that did not influence the review**

4.5 stars Sweet lawd my heart. I really loved this story and Im still trying to recover from it.

This story started off a little slow and reminded me of Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles (which is a very good thing), but soon enough I was churning through the pages like it was my job and I couldnt get enough of
Christy
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Characters: First, I want to talk about Diego. I absolutely LOVED him. He's had a hard life, and he's seen things that no one should ever see, but especially someone his age. He's also survived things that I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't, and while I don't agree with most of the stuff in his past, I can understand why he did them. Everything he done, he done for his family, and I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing in his shoes because I would do anything for mine.

Faith
Emma
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After one minor wtf moment where my brain was slow to catch the twist - I must be tired :) Before You is a poetic look at cultural stereotyping mixed with a simmering romance.

Before You is another story I cant help but compare to Perfect Chemistry. The basic elements of the good, caucasian girl with the gang linked latino boy all add up to a compelling storyline.

While the basics are the same I have to say that Before You ups the ante in the level of gang involvement. How in some cases there is
Missy
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story from start to finish! A unique love story, one that captured me from the beginning! After her Mom walked out, Faith tries so hard to be someone she's not to keep from hurting her Dad. I found myself relating to her so much, especially at her age.
Diego's trying to escape from his past in Cuba where he was involved in a gang. He's steamy & tattooed up, but still has a good heart. I loved the occasional use of Spanish and how very different their worlds are.

I definitely
Nika  ♥Marie♥
Jun 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libraryreview, jul
I can't do all these books that are telling me how to feel instead of letting me develop those feelings.
Miguel
Jul 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014, dnf
DNF at 71% Bad just bad. Do not recommend at all.
Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)
I've been looking forward to this book ever since I saw that gorgeous cover! The summary reminded me of Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, which I love. I had high hope for Before You and while I did really enjoyed the story, the little things that bugged me started adding up. Most of the time I was reading this, I was having deja-vu moments from Perfect Chemistry. But this wasn't my main issue, because books are similar to each other all the time. My biggest issue was with Faith and her ...more
Genesis Sheli (Whispering Chapters)
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Simone Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry
I accidentally deleted my review for this book. This review was originally published on Latte Nights Reviews.

You can also click the image below to view my reaction video:

First of all, Ill start by saying that if you are a Simone Elkeles fan and you love her Perfect Chemistry series, then you will DIG, LOVE, ADORE, ENJOY Before You by Amber Hart! I finished this book while taking a bubble bath and I remember I sent a text to my mom, describing how I was feeling. It was in Spanish because Im
Michelle
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This quick read boldly written novel, told in alternative first person narratives: "before you" is authored by Amber Hart. This coming of age story is sentimentality combined with the power of young first love, the racial/cultural differences of language, social standing, economic status, and former gang affiliation.

Faith Watter's appeared to be living a great life, she was pretty, popular, and attended Oviedo High, also her minister father's church, with her boyfriend Jason of several years.
Inah
Jul 19, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: new-adult, 2014-reads
*Copy received from the Publisher via Netgalley in exchange of honest reviews*

I was really enticed by the cover and the blurb of this book that's why I requested the title on Netgalley. After I finished the other book that I was reading, I immediately jumped onto reading this one because I'm excited to see how the story goes.

The last book I've read with a POC as one of the protagonists was Simone Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry Trilogy and I really loved those books. This book reminded me of Perfect
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley.)
18-year-old Faith is a pastors daughter, but shes not quite as perfect as people might assume.
18-year-old Diego is from Cuba, and has also made some mistakes in his life.
Will Faith and Diego be a match made in heaven? Or will they be better off apart?

This was an okay story, but something just didnt sit right with me.

Faith was an okay character, and it was nice that she
Emily
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Before You is the story of Faith, the respectable daughter of a pastor, who doesnt want to ruin the reputation of her father, and Diego, an ex-drug mule who has come to escape his past.
This story was okay It was an easy read, and the writing was good, but the story didnt grip me. I found the main story line predictable, it was the characters backgrounds that interested me.
Faith was portrayed to be the stereotypical good girl, a dance captain and dating the star quarterback, but as the book
Cheryl
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The alternating perspectives in chapters allows the reader to invest in both characters deeply. The characters are complicated have depth and genuine likable traits that hook the rader from page one until the very last page in the book. Fans of Katie. McGarry's books will love this book! I look forward to more stories in this world and more books from this author! Read it.....you will not be disappointed!
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

Review:
I don't remember where I first saw this book but I was really excited to read it.  Before You is the first book in the Before and After series by Amber Hart (see the reading order below).  I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by this book.  There were things that I liked in this book but unfortunately, I disliked more things than I liked.

Before You is told in dual points of view, every chapter alternating back and forth between the hero and heroine's points-of-view. Our
Audrey Graser

Original Publishing Date: July 29th, 2014

Series: Before and After #1

Where I got it: Netgalley

Main characters: 3.5/5

Faith starts off as a "good girl"; the preacher's daughter who is so very concerned with appearances and reputation. I personally couldn't relate to her concerns about reputation so much, but the idea that Faith felt that she was trapped in this "fake" life seems like it's a feeling
Genesis pimentel
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
As Published on : http://sparklingbooks.wordpress.com/

Tittle: Before you (Before and After #1)

Author: Amber Hart
Length: 320 Pages

Publisher: K-Teen ( Kensington Publisher)

Release Date: July 29Th

Gender: Romance, young Adult, contemporary,fiction.

Rating:★★★★ (4 OUT OF 5)

How I got it?: Netgalley

Pre-Order it on:

Amazon

B&N

Ibooks

Some say love is deadly. Some say love is beautiful. I say it is both.

Holly
*eARC kindly provided by Kensington Books via NetGalley*
*Full review can be found at Part of that World.

What first put this book on my radar was K.A. Tucker telling everyone that they'll want to read it (or something of that variety). I love YA contemporaries, so when I read the synopsis I knew I had to have it. And I was so excited when K-Teen approved my NG request! Also, I adore that cover!

Rating: 4 Stars!

Before You is told in dual, first person POVs. And can I just say how much I love both
Southern Belle Book Blog
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amber Hart. You dont even realize it because weve never spoken, but I just went through an entire relationship with you. Ups and downs, falling and hitting hard, convinced Im breaking up with you, and then suddenly I love you again. Geez, Im tired just from reading a book, but it was worth it. Youve officially shot onto my new favorite list.

Okay so super short summary Youve got Faith, who lives a lie. Shes fake and only shows the side of herself that she feels the church and community thinks
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
Its true! I didnt like Perfect Chemistry that much. Sorry guys! I read it about 2-3 years ago and wasnt a huge fan. I wish it had had a little more culture in it and was a little less about the HS drama. I read the synopsis for Before You and thought perhaps Perfect Chemistry was just not for me at the time; perhaps Ill love this book since I love me some star-crossed romances; perhaps Ill love it and fall in love so madly that Ill want to re-read PC and love it too. While those things didnt ...more
Kim
Oh it's difficult for me to put my thoughts about this one into words. I liked the book. Portions of it really held my attention, but at other times I found myself almost skimming because things were moving too slowly for my liking. I read it in an evening, though, so kit definitely engaged me to some amount.

On the surface, I liked the characters and the storyline. Faith was strong and relatively likable. She was tired of all the pressure of being perfect, and who can't relate to that on some
Becca
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Click here to check out this review and more at my website!

There are moments in life set apart from the rest. The before this moment, and the after this moment. Diego is one of those moments for me.
I just cannot seem to get out of this reading slump that I have been in lately. I am not sure if its me or if its the books I am choosing I am sort of torn after reading Before You. There were things that I liked and things that I didnt. I am still unsure of the rating that I gave it, because I
maia
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange of an honest review. (aka hello, thank you, Netgalley + K-Teen!)

This novel came to me in the perfect time. The last I read before finishing this novel was good, but happened not to be my cup of tea and so I have started to look for a contemporary novel with a substance. And was I amazing at making the decision to read this next.

Before You is a young/new adult contemporary romance novel about star-crossed lovers Faith Watters and Diego Alvarez. Faith is like your
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • When It Happens
  • Only a Breath Apart
  • The Player Next Door
  • Win Some, Lose Some
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • In Another Time
  • Unapologetically (Brighton Academy #4)
  • Finding Perfect (Finding Perfect #1)
  • Dangerous to Know & Love
  • The Key
  • Puddle Jumping (Puddle Jumping, #1)
  • The Lies About Truth
  • Delicate (Wicked Hearts #1)
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Love In Touch
  • Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road, #1)
  • Obsessed
Author of:

WICKED CHARM, young adult standalone romantic thriller, Entangled Teen 2018

UNTIL YOU FIND ME, (Untamed series #1) new adult contemporary romantic thriller, Penguin Random House 2014

CAPTURED BY YOU, (Untamed series #2), Penguin Random House 2015

BEFORE YOU (Before & After series, #1), young adult contemporary romance, Kensington 2014

AFTER US (Before & After series, #2), Kensington

Before & After (2 books)
  • After Us (Before & After, #2)

News & Interviews

“No puedo devolver el pasado. Todo lo que puedo hacer es tomar mejores decisiones en el futuro.” 1 likes
“Y el momento infinito se siente bastante como volar libremente, y con alas rotas rehechas.” 1 likes