Start by marking “Drowned (Drowned, #1)” as Want to Read:
Drowned (Drowned, #1)

Drowned

(Drowned #1)

Coe is one of the few remaining teenagers on the island of Tides. Deformed and weak, she is constantly reminded that in a world where dry land dwindles at every high tide, she is not welcome. The only bright spot in her harsh and difficult life is the strong, capable Tiam—but love has long ago been forgotten by her society. The only priority is survival.

Until the day their
Published June 24th 2014 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Drowned, please sign up.
Amy High School. I thought it was okay for middle school, until I got to the part where Coe saw herself for the first time in a mirror. Naked. And the…moreHigh School. I thought it was okay for middle school, until I got to the part where Coe saw herself for the first time in a mirror. Naked. And the author decided to describe her boobs. -_-(less)
YA Novels of 2014
1,545 books — 9,147 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareHeir of Fire by Sarah J. MaasThe One by Kiera CassThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanCress by Marissa Meyer
2014 YA Must-Haves
308 books — 737 voters

More lists with this book...

Tara Goodyear
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Robert Frost once debated whether the world will end in fire or ice. Well, for Nichola Reilly, the world will end in water. Drowned is Ms. Reilly's first post-apocalyptic young adult fantasy filled with a bleak, damp future for Corvina Kettlefish, or Coe as she is called, and the rest of the dwellers on the island of Tides. Sea monsters and human nature set out to destroy Coe and those she loves, but Coe is resourceful and much more important than she knows.

Each day, the shrinking population of
hayden
Aug 27, 2014 added it
I will not be rating this book, because I don't think it's fair to rate books I haven't completely finished.

Drowned, by Nichola Reilly, is the first book in a while that I have not finished, and below, I will tell you why.

It's hard to get into a book, to sit back and let it envelop you, when you can't deal with the main character. At all. Because let me tell you: Coe has a major Mary Sue Complex.

"Can she be talking about me? It's hard to believe that someone so ethereal and special ever thinks a
Michelle Rebar
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Drowned is a gorgeous, post-apocalyptic fantasy that has it all. There is adventure, mystery, romance, danger, action and a touch of fantasy. Readers will be pulled under by, and blissfully drown in, this harrowing tale of the rising tides and the possible end of the world. The writing is so vivid and fluid that at times I forgot I was reading and I became a part of the story. The beautiful, descriptive details made it feel so real, a perfect moving picture was painted in my mind. Drowned is equ ...more
rachel ❀
DNF 38%

After the mess that was Sleepless, I decided to give Balog a second chance. It did not go very well.

There was something about the writing style that did not click with me; same with the characters. Our protagonist, Coe, was so blah. While I do not think every character has to be strong or badass, I do think that if you write a meek character, you just have to give them more personality than mere meekness. Balog obviously disagrees. I also disliked that way that Coe was bullied for her ap
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I was sent this book early by the author to read and give an honest review. Receiving the book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Lauredhel
Drowned is set in a surreal postapocalyptic world, in the end days before the floods completely cover the planet. At first I thought this was a fantasy book - and it's categorised as Fantasy on Goodreads - but slowly I came to realise that it is actually probably maybe cli-fi science fiction, set on Earth, with some magicalish biological elements, but not necessarily fantasy as such. Or something. It's a fun thing to puzzle out, so I'm looking forward to the next book!

Several hundred humans rema
Tonyalee
See this review and more on my blog, Lilybloombooks

I have said it a thousand times, and I will probably say it a thousand times more; but I love stumbling on books that I have heard next to nothing about and end up loving.

Drowned is nothing like anything I have read before. Sure, it's a dystopian. But the world, the characters and the horror of it all mashed together makes it an awesome read.

This world is depressing. It's a small Island, in which the residents have to stand on a platfor
Jess
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and NetGalley*

In a future Earth that is now mostly covered in water, Coe lives on an island called Tides which is slowly being taken over by the ocean. The other inhabitants shun Coe who lost a hand from a scribbler attack.
Her life changes when the King falls ill and Coe becomes Princess Star's hand maiden.
With no male heir who will replace the King when he dies?
Can the people of Tides escap
Rachel E. Carter
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-paperback
Loved this novel. Nichola did a brilliant job telling her tale and I would love to see her series someday portrayed as a movie -the descriptions of this post-apocalyptic sea town are so beautiful and I was really able to relate to the protagonist. I can't wait for the sequel and I fully intend to read any future YA novels by this author -can't wait for the sequel!
Hazel Thomet
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

For thousands of years people thought about how and when the world would end.

But I don't have to wonder. I know it is going to happen in my lifetime.

High tide is approaching, the waves coming closer. Soon everything will be underwater.

Coe is one of the few remaining teenagers on the island of Tides. Deformed and weak, she is constantly reminded that in a world where dry land dwindles at every high tide, she is NOT welcome. The only bright spot in her harsh and difficult life is the strong, capa
Brea Johnson
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drowned is set in a futuristic setting after the oceans has risen and humans have been living on a small island for a very, very, very long time. The sea level is so high that it covers the entire island at high tide every day. Our MC, Coe, is a young girl on the island who is disliked by most and is doing her best to survive when she suddenly gets noticed and becomes the princess’s hand maiden.

In general I enjoyed the variety of characters is this book. Coe is a fantastic character and I grew t
paula
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some postapocalyptic worlds are more miserable than others, and the world of Tides, a tiny island surrounded by rising water and man-eating fish, is “day after day of misery, of waiting to die. Every day you wonder what the point is... and the longer you go on, the more life seems like a game you’re meant to lose.” Coe Kettlefish is the most miserable inhabitant of Tides. Small, pale, and pink-eyed in a world of blue-eyed tanned people, she is missing a hand and destined for a short life on the ...more
Whitney
I have no words. I have no words. I have no words. I have no words.
Maybe if I keep writing this, the words will come...maybe not.

Some books I have had the pleasure of reading, albeit VERY few, are so phenomenal that I am actually terrified to describe/review them because I feel that to do so would actually do the book a disservice. THIS IS ONE OF THOSE BOOKS.

To say that I have read Drowned is quite an understatement; I have experienced it. And it was mind-blowing. And heartbreaking. And beautifu
Holly
*I received a copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
*Full review can be found at Part of that World.

I've been wanting to read this one ever since I heard of it! Like, no joke, it's been one of my highly anticipated summer releases. So, I was really excited when Harlequin Teen approved my request! And I had to start it as soon as it appeared on my kindle. :)

Rating: 4 Stars!

I wasn't totally sure what to expect from this novel, went into this completely blind and only knowing
Greta
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all the cool people
Shelves: favorites
Thank you to Goodreads Giveaways for providing an advanced reader's copy!

[warning: I don't promise that this review will make any sense. It's 2 o'clock in the morning, so I am just going to air out my feelings in a nicely(?), organized(?), typed fashion and see how that goes.]

Okay, so first, I am going to list my qualms with this book, so that way we can just get it over with and move on to the cool bits of this book.

Qualm #1: I really have no sense of the tides. Don't get me wrong, I like how
Angela
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

The synopsis of this book was extremely intriguing to me. I had not heard of anything remotely like this before. I was hoping that it was a good book and it would hold my interest based on the synopsis. I know this may seem odd, but I generally don't pay much attention to reviews when picking a book. I look at them, but if I get a feeling about a book or the reviews aren't all gushing about how awesome the book is, then I will usu
Marni
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I would like to thank the author for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Scouts honor, if the first 150 pages of this book would be condensed to about 30 pages, this book would be a solid 4 star. There were some points that went on during those pages, but they could have been made as a whole and gone on from there. During those pages, not only is it drawn out but nagging questions appear that are never answered. A condensed version would have had the reader maybe le
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
I need the sequel NOW. This book is sooo good and such a surprise because it's unlike any other book out there. It's weird, it's unique, and it will pull you underneath its pages. I hope you know how to swim!

The story takes place on a tiny island known as Tides. Supposedly, it's the last bit of earth that hasn't been completely covered by the floods. Each day when the tides rise, the habitants are forced to line up on a platform according to their number and wait for the tides to lower if they d
Mina
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing

When I first heard of this book I was very thrilled to read it, but I didn't know that it was this captivating and good! The main character is tough and strong, though she thinks she is weak I'd see from the very first chapter that she was one of those strong female heroine. Even if she has feelings for Tiam, she knows how to survive by herself and how to keep doing things because she wants to
Kirsti
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Five wonderful stars for being a unique and awesome book that I foolishly didn't see the ending of coming. What an end! The story itself was absolutely captivating, and for it to end there was heartbreaking. Then there are the characters! Gah, indescribable.

So basically the world as we know it no longer exists. Humans have become stranded on an island, comprising well, not much. Each human has a job that determines where they stand when high tide comes in. If you're assigned a cruddy number, th
Steven Sutherland
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to say Nichola Reilly has me on a ride and it's more than I bargained for. I feel helpless where she has taken me and I want to help and I want to help and I'm not sure how-so I read on. the world is unfamiliar and the characters seek hope in a hopeless place. I will buy this novel and finish the journey. Oh, what a ride. I love, love, love it~Steve!
Kimberly Miller
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Drowned was one of the best books I read this summer. This page turner kept me guessing at every turn. The plot is unique and the characters will win your heart. The worst part of the book? Having to wait until 2015 for the next one in the series. Truly one of the best books written in 2014 and it is definitely going on next years summer reading list for my students!
Annie Stone
I feel so lucky to be reading this one for the third time as I work on edits with Nichola! A heart-wrenching adventure of a novel.
Xoi Lawrence
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really like this author and I want to read more of her books. I have not read this book, but I feel like it is going to be a great book.
Andrew
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the story. Now to buy book 2.
a & e
I enjoyed this story and am looking forward to read the next installation in the series. It was really interesting and unique, at least to me, since I've never read another book like this before.
Sarah Kalaitzidis
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia
Gah that ending!!!
That's all I have to say really but this was an awesome book I cant wait to read book 2.
Elly Herrmann
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quiet-ya, reviewed
This review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Coe has been shunned her entire life. She lives on a small island, probably the last bit of humanity left, where the ocean's tides threaten to wash them away. Every day they have to climb up onto a platform until the tides go out with the 400 or so other members of her clan. She is shunned because she is weak and deformed. Missing one arm means she'll never be very useful. She can't fish or fight or scavenge in her condition. Al
Tessa Lillie
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Drowned is one of those books I find hard to put my thoughts into words since I feel deeply divided by it. The story is both intriguing and brilliant, but thing is, I did not get carried away right from the beginning, nor did it keep me completely enthralled. I felt as if the plot was lacking something although the book was totally unputdownable.

Coe, the main character in Drowned, turned out to be one of the most fascinating and unique main characters that has ever existed in YA literature. I am
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Run To You Part II: Second Glance
  • Wordless (Words Made Flesh, #1)
  • Foretold (Sisters of Fate, #1)
  • Apparition, (Apparition #1)
  • Follow Me Through Darkness (Boundless, #1)
  • Dark Days
  • The Haven
  • Deliver Me
  • Reckoning (Silver Blackthorn, #1)
  • Raven (The Legends Saga, #2)
  • Until You Find Me (Untamed, #1)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Fury (The Cure, #1)
  • Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • Riot
  • The Girl Who Never Was (Otherworld, #1)
Cyn Balog is a normal, everyday Jersey Girl who always believed magical things can happen to us when we least expect them. She is author of young adult paranormals FAIRY TALE (2009), SLEEPLESS(2010), STARSTRUCK (2011), TOUCHED (2012), and her most recent release: DEAD RIVER (2013).e. She lives outside Allentown, Pennsylvania with her husband and daughters.

She also writes under the pen name Nichola

Drowned (2 books)