Start by marking “The Odd Sea” as Want to Read:
The Odd Sea

The Odd Sea

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  596 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
A teenage boy is missing. His younger brother searches for him and in the process finds himself.
Published July 13th 1999 by Delta (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Odd Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Odd Sea

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This is a short but powerful story that won the Hackney Literary Award for a first novel. There's a quiet earnestness in Frederick Reiken's writing that I find very appealing. I see some similarity with Brad Kessler's work in the way Reiken's characters use art, music, literature, and love of nature to soothe their grieving hearts.

Two things about this book stay with me. First is the way the Shumway family members support and encourage each other throughout the ordeal rather than having it dest
Megan Rogers
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Odd Sea is a book that I never would have heard of, let alone read, if it wasn't for the fact that I got it for free from a local college professor that was unloading hundreds of books in order to move across the country.
Written by a local author, The Odd Sea takes place in rural Western Massachusetts. It follows Philip, whose older brother Ethan disappears one summer morning. In a span of right around 200 pages, several years are covered, but this is not a fast paced story. It wanders and
Nov 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
This is a book about a boy of 16 named Ethan who just disappears one day. He just mysteriously vanishes and no one has any clue why. This concept sounds more interesting than it actually is. Not much happens in this book. It is told from the point of view of Ethan's younger brother Philip. Even though it is mildly interesting to see how Ethan's many siblings, parents and ex-girlfriends deal with his unexpected vanishing, the book doesn't really go anywhere or have a solid storyline. Nothing real ...more
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books, own

I'm. I'm so confused? And also dissatisfied? The book was good but at the same time the ending left me with countless, niggling questions. It drives me INSANE, that there's no proper explanation. This book made me feel so many things. The only reason my rating isn't any higher is because I'm honestly left so speechless that it's frustrating, but in a good way.

If you're in for a mystery that never actually gets properly solved, this is definitely the kind of book for you.
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
What I find most remarkable about this book is that he described the breasts of every. single. female character, but there was a picture of a naked guy at one point and I didn't get a description of his business. Not fair. -eyeroll-

It was a well-written book, which is why it got two stars instead of one. That's all it has going for it. There isn't really a plot. He talks about boobs and there's some casual almost-pedophilia, so I guess that is what makes it deep. They cut some trees down, too. I
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The main reason I rated this five stars is because I think it's amazing that I have spent the two days since I've read it swinging violently between wanting to give it one star, and wanting to give it five, thinking of giving it three just as an average, or giving up and just leaving it unrated. I mean, waffling about a rating is something I do, but not like this.

If a book has me thinking about it this much, my opinion of it swinging so crazily from one extreme to the other, my feelings so engag
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-changing
This small literary triumph written by an author no one has ever heard of when I bring it up has been in my top five best modern novels list since I first read it years ago. And I read a lot people.

I quote the New York Times review a lot when I try to explain how good this book is.

"A haunting first novel that takes a horrifying family calamity and turns it into a form of magic."

One quiet summer day 15 year old Ethan Shumway disappears. In the days, months, and years that follow the reader follo
C.B. Wentworth
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
When sixteen-year-old Ethan Shumway walks down the driveway towards Baker's Bottom Pond, no one in his family could have known it would be the last time they'd ever see him. Both tragic and resilient, The Odd Sea follows the story of a family coping with the sudden loss of a son and brother.

Ethan's younger brother Philip watches helplessly as his mother descends into manic depression and his father throws himself into manual labor as a means to deal with his grief. Meanwhile, Philip's sisters de
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Odd Sea is the story of a young boy named Ethan who vanishes from a small western Massachusetts town. That's how it starts, anyway.

Despite the cliche of 'lost kid story' and the blatant reference to the Odyssey, cracking the first few pages pretty much means commitment to reading the entire work in one or two sittings. The story is addictive, both for its maintained tensions and its ability to create meaningful relationships amongst characters. Most of these tensions and relationships are f
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mahala Helf
Jun 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
How can such a short book seem so wordy and redundant?
Part of it that most of the female characters besides the parents, whether past forty or under 20 are similarly mystified as arch and spout what's meant to seem deep and meaningful, but sounds as overblown and/or oversimplified as the meant to be unreliable teenage to college grad narrator. The narration as well is MEANINGFUL.
Another reason is that the hints & teases and conclusions are endlessly repeated. You can see the scaffolding of
Lindsey Gustad
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Dalton Oligschlaeger
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty well heartbreaking. It covers the story of an innocent child, who awakes one day to basically watch his brother dissappear around a corner before his eyes. Him and his family have no clues, no lead, and no idea. All they have is his music school and teacher and friends he had there, some of which end up being much more involved than the family would have ever guessed. The book isn't usually vivid and sometimes, details are sometimes spared, but it's hard to put down, simply ...more
Shalonne Halstead
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was hesitant to start reading this book because it involves a missing child - as a mother, that's one of my worst nightmares. But something about the cover drew me in, and I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did!

It's told from the POV of the missing boy's brother who seems to be a naive, innocent type of boy. His teenage brother goes missing inexplicably one day. Just...gone. The book is about how the rest of the family copes and survives this horrible tragedy.

This book belongs to that class of books
Ashley MYeRS
i didn't like this book because you never found out where Ethan was. i wish that the book could have told you more about where Ethan is other than the assumption of his family because when i was reading this book i felt like i didn't understand the moral of the story. if i where the author i would have thought of a more creative way to end the story because i think that there where a lot of unanswered questions such as: what ever happened to Ethan? how long has he been missing? did he even make ...more
Elisabeth Zguta
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was very interested in this story since I grew up in the area it took place, and in the same time frame that this story talks about. The writer brought forth some good characters, the thoughts and feelings of those touched by the loss and/or the abduction of his brother. No one knows of course how they will react when we lose a loved one, but the most frustrating aspect of the entire cast of characters was their inability to understand and make peace with 'not knowing' what happened. The artis ...more
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a look into a family suffering a tragic loss without any confirmation of that loss. I think the most heart-rending thing about it was the lack of evidence that something happened to Ethan. An honest portrayal of what a young boy might be feeling when his older brother just goes missing. The entire story is seen through the younger brother's point of view and the stories he creates to keep his brother alive are remarkable. There is little action in this story which is mostly told through ...more
Feb 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Short, redundant, boring, anti-climatic. Need I say more? I was bored to tears from the beginning. I get that the story was about the grieving process of losing someone you love. Never knowing what happens to them, but come on! There was only a slight grieving process, mostly from the mother who doesn’t even have a voice in the book. On top of all that – there was no ending! I’m not sure what people are saying when it is a “literary classic”.
Overall, I give this book a D, maybe even a D-
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
If I could, I'd give it three and a half stars...One of my favorite books of the last few years is this author's Day for Night; I'm not sure why it took me so long to get around to his first book, a coming-of-age story about a young man processing and coming to terms with the disappearance of his much-beloved older brother. For a first novel, it was really excellent. The writing style and use of symbolism/metaphor is lovely. I also appreciate an author who doesn't need to wrap things up neatly a ...more
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book countless times since high school; it's one of my top three favorite books. Ethan Shumway is sixteen when he disappears - literally disappears: his younger brother, Philip, sees Ethan at the end of the driveway one minute, then he's gone. The book is Philip's searching for (or "not-finding", as he calls it) Ethan. There is something about Reiken's writing that makes the whole story vague and mysterious, yet complete enough to be satisfying, regardless of what the resolution m ...more
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love this book like crazy, and it's not even my favorite of Reiken's books. The tone of this one is gorgeously ethereal. That mist on the cover? Kind of sets into your brain when you read it, pushing everything else out. This one is also set in rural western Massachusetts, where I grew up. I'm a little biased toward Mr. Reiken. Everyone in town claims the author as a friend of a friend, and who could blame them.
Brian Foley
Nov 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Rick was a writing teacher of mine at Emerson. He wasn't particularly great, but i wasn't writing anything particularly exciting either. I read this on a Christmas break before taking his class. Out of so many other books I've read, this one still stays with me. I might have been overly impressionable, having not read much at the the time. Or it may be Im a sucker for disappearance narratives.
Finely paced, not overly eccentric or saccharine. It all felt very myserious and suburban.
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A remarkable book by a remarkable storyteller. This one has stayed with me for the last 4 or 5 years. There's something transcendental about the characters and the storyline which together elevate this book beyond just another good read. Surprised this still hasn't been picked up for treatment as a movie.
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
This looked different from what I usually read, so I checked it out.

A very interesting fictional memoir from the point of view of a man whose older brother went missing when they were teenagers. I thought this was a really interesting story of grief and loss, but also of healing and acceptance.
Sarah Sullivan
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fare
Short, lyrical and sad, Frederick Reiken's view into a family shattered by a missing child is insanely readable. I was particularly taken by the title, "The Odd Sea" a child's misheard name for "The Odyssey" which becomes an extended metaphor for Ethan's loss. I'm sad that now I've read everything Reiken's written, I hope he comes out with something else soon.
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This novel about a family struggling to come to terms with the disappearance of their teenage son is a quiet but haunting book. The author shows the reader enough to come to their own conclusions about what happened but is able to retain enough ambiguity so that the reader is left slightly uncertain.
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A story of loss and grief and how a family , particulary the brother, deals with a missing member . Very insightful, especially showing how grief changes over time, without lessening one bit. I forgot that this author also wrote Day for Night, one of my alltime favorite books. Short, but powerful.
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Janice by: It was a reccommendation on the Malapropos website.
I read this book in one sitting, after work one evening. It is the story of a family coping with the unexplained disappearance of the oldest child. Even though he has disappeared, Ethan's character is revealed in extreme clarity. The emotions of Phillip, a younger brother and the narrator, are very believable. I highly reccommend this book.
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite tense and heart-wrenching, but culminates in one of the most disappointing endings I've ever read. On the whole, it reminded me quite a bit of The Lovely Bones. Sadly though, it definitely does not pack as much punch as that book did. This isn't a waste of time, but I've read better.
  • Realms Of The Red Rabbit: (Realms Of The Red Rabbit Series, Book 1)
  • Stalemate: A Shocking True Story of Child Abduction and Murder
  • Along Comes a Stranger
  • The Shadow Walker (Inspector Nergui #1)
  • Tattoo Girl
  • The Night of the Moonbow
  • Leaving Home
  • Fast Courting
  • Piece of Work
Frederick Reiken is the author of Day For Night (2010), The Odd Sea (1998) and The Lost Legends of New Jersey (2000). His short stories have appeared in The New Yorker. He has worked as a reporter and columnist and is currently a member of the writing faculty at Emerson College.
More about Frederick Reiken...

“We loved our father for the poet he'd become.” 2 likes