Start by marking “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came” as Want to Read:
Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Written in 1855 and first published in the collection "Men and Women", Browning's narrative poem later served as the inspiration for Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series.

The poem tells the tale of Roland, a knight, who comes as last to the object of his quest: the Dark Tower. His comrades have all fallen, and he is the last. He endures, marching on and on, until he comes at
Published (first published 1855)

To ask other readers questions about Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Dan Schwent
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
For the past decade or so, one of the ways I find books to read is to see who or what influenced some of my favorite writers. I discovered P.G. Wodehouse after he was mentioned by Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, and Christopher Moore, for example. One of Stephen King's influences for the Dark Tower saga was this poem by Robert Browning.

I've been a Dark Tower junkie for somewhere between twelve and fifteen years at this point but I never read the poem Stephen King drew inspiration from until today.
Claudia
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, poems
After my experience with "The Star", I remembered this poem I listened/read almost two years ago and I had to repeat that. Got goosebumps once again ;))

----

The poem which inspired Stephen King' series "The Dark Tower".
I read it while listening this marvelous performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY3oMR...
Simply amazing.
Shriya
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First off, I want to meet those critics of Robert Browning, who said he was "nothing more than the husband of a famous poet, Elizabeth Barret."

I want to point it out to them that while they may be factually correct and got the relationship right, they couldn't be more mistaken in assuming that he was "nothing more" than her husband.

I'm sorry, bring me a poet who captures the psychology and the variations of human mind better than Browning! And no, I'm not just talking about the obsessive, neurot
Sandi
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had pretty much skipped over and forgotten about Robert Browning. Mostly due to English classes where we dissected one of his poems and talked about his relationship and love letters with Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I wasn't ready for either love poems or much good poetry at that time in my life.

Now I find it pretty ironic that I have Stephen King to thank for rediscovering the other poetry of this man. After having read the inspiriation for King's books I can see how part of the gunslinger se
Feliks
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, classic-brit
One of the top ten poems of all time, surely. Certainly in my top 5 favorites. Its a poem that not only provides goosebumps along the way but when you reach the end your nerves are tingling; your eyes are misty; and you want to leap out of your damn chair and roar out a hurrah!
Jesse Field
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was just thinking of Stephen King, and adventure stories, and how confusing I always found this poem, since first looking at it so many years ago. Reading again, along with Adam, was amusing, if not much more illuminating of Roland’s world and the purpose of the tower.

One has to be a little older, perhaps, to fully appreciate the emotional core of the poem, a feeling of minimal hope, or not even hope, not “hope rekindling at the end descried, /So much as gladness that some end might be.” We sear
Mike Harnish
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this at the end of Stephen King's Dark Tower, and while not a fan of Browning, I actually myself enjoying it. And reading some of the other reviews was surprised at the other works that this influenced, and with pleasurable results.
Dana West
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I only read "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came". I read this every few years to remind me why Stephen King's The Dark Tower series is so damn good.
Keith
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, classics, fantasy
"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came", is said to have inspired Stephen King's "The Dark Tower Series" according to Wikipedia.
Alejandro Mariñez
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even though I'm not into poems, I have my top 5 poems and this one has just made it into my list.
Jennifer M. Hartsock
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Doug
SCAM ALERT!

MORE RECENT NOTE: After reviewing the reviews below, I'm struck by the apparent confusion some seem to have regarding the e-book this is about. First, I'm thrilled that those who only had acquaintance with Roland via Steve's books, have come to read the poem and gain insight into the Browning influence for the Dark Tower series. Second, you need to look closer at this. We're really not talking about Browning but about a guy named Chris Cromell who names himself "editor" of this "Inte
Steven
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, poetry
An interesting poem that is, at this time for me, mostly relevant as it engages with The Dark Tower. It stands on its own but it is bolstered by Stephen King's adherence to its main motifs.

As I'm in the final novel of the series, I see many of the allusions and parallels between the tales (I am also reading the "Childe Roland" fairy tale written down by Joseph Jacobs to further bolster the allusions). In King's version, Roland has no horn--it has been lost on a battlefield--yet he reminisces ab
Danny Sifonte
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Reading an excerpt from the story of Childe Roland definitely introduced me to another world unique compared to what books today are like. The writing that the authour chooses to use definitely makes you think back tithe roots and meaning of words along with adds complex rhyming scheme and great use of show and not tell. The story is perceived by the viewpoint of the so called "hero" childe who has a quest to travel to the dark tower while facing many dangers along the way. Though most of the te ...more
Dallass
Oh, where do I start? I read this for the #dtproject17 that I wanted to complete before The Gunslinger film is released this July. However, I probably shouldn't have read this while stuck in bed with strained rib muscles as there was nowhere to run from this tedious poem. Quickly read through all 34 stanzas, and to be quite honest my mind just wasn't in poetry appreciation mode - nor is it now - so I may have to read this again when I'm in the right mood. That's the unfortunate thing about a rea ...more
Darrell
I decided to read this because I'm a fan of Stephen King's the gunslinger series and wanted to read the inspiration for the story. I've always struggled with poetry so this wasn't the best read for me. I did read the entire poem but I feel that I might not have gotten the full value out of it because of my poem struggles. I know that Browning is highly regarded it just wasn't a read for me.
Shelly
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I actually haven't read this edition, but I just read the poem reprinted in the back of The Book of Lost Things. I'm so glad I finally stumbled upon it. It's so dark and vivid and beautiful and terrifying. I love it.
Sam Snyder
It was a difficult read and I appreciated the interpretation. It was mentioned in another recently read book and of course a large influence for Stephen King's Roland Deschain and The Dark Tower series
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, shivery, fiction
One of the creepiest, most goose-bumpy poems I've ever read. Not knowing if the nightmarish lands Roland warily passes though are real or just all in his head makes it all the more chilling. And the classic final line of the poem reverberates with the ominous promise of the unknown.
Marissa
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
beautifully constructed poetry. after having read the dark tower series by stephen king (several times over) it only makes sense to have this in ones collection.
Mckinley
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, travel
The thoughts along the way are what's important here.
torque
Jan 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. I have a hard time reading poetry. This was no exception.
Lasse Gravesen
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Was part of The Dark Tower book 7.
Igor Kostiuk
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent, especially the ending but quite hard to read 'cause English isn't my first language.
Roberta
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, poetry, award-winner
This relates to Stephen King's Dark Tower series; he mentiones it as an early inspiration. As such, it is fun to read!
GONZA
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I should have read this poem before reading S.King!

Avrei dovuto leggere questa poesia prima di leggere il ciclo della torre nera di S.King!
Dmitry Butsenets
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Дорога к Темной Башне - бездорожье"
Мощно!!

• Eclipse 3: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Fernando Pessoa and Co.: Selected Poems
  • The Dark Tower:  The Sorcerer
  • She Walks in Beauty
Robert Browning was a British poet and playwright whose mastery of dramatic verse, especially dramatic monologues, made him one of the foremost Victorian poets.

Browning began writing poetry at age 13. These poems were eventually collected, but were later destroyed by Browning himself. In 1833, Browning's "Pauline" was published and received a cool reception. Harold Bloom believes that John Stuart
“One taste of the old time sets all to rights.” 13 likes
“My first thought was, he lied in every word,
That hoary cripple, with malicious eye
Askance to watch the working of his lie
On mine, and mouth scarce able to afford
Suppression of the glee, that pursed and scored
Its edge, at one more victim gained thereby.”
10 likes