Start by marking “All The Things You Are” as Want to Read:
All The Things You Are

All The Things You Are

About to turn forty, her youthful dreams of becoming an actress abandoned, there's no doubt in her mind that suburban wife and mother-of-two Clare Taylor has settled. A wild week in Chicago may have shaken things up a bit, but as she turns her key in her Madison, Wisconsin home on the eve of Hallowe'en, she knows that what happened with her ex was nothing more than a distr ...more
Published June 1st 2014 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about All The Things You Are, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Imagine coming home to your house expecting to be greeted by your husband and your children. Instead, the house is empty, no family no furniture’s and the dog lies dead in the garden. That is what Claire Taylor finds when she comes home after a week in Chicago. Suddenly her life has turned upside done, but that is just the start.

Something happened thirty-five years ago, that changed four boys and a little girls’ life, something bad. And the past that the boys tried to forget will not be forgotte
Ionia
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Do you love those books that give you that creepy kind of "I should keep looking over my shoulder feeling?" If you do, and you enjoy super suspenseful novels, then you can't miss this one.

This is a book that it is impossible to figure out until you are at the very end. There are a lot of different things going on in this story simultaneously, yet the author manages to draw them all together like puzzle pieces making for a complete picture. Although there are a lot of different story lines, it w
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book had me hooked. A fabulous suspense plot that kept me wanting to turn pages. This is the first Declan Hughes book I have read but certainly won't be the last.
Wulfwyn
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading this author. It was a library book.

I chose this book thinking it would be a spooky read for Halloween and the readathons. It was set at Halloween, both past and present. I liked Claire and Danny, even when I was unsure about who and what they really were. I even liked Donna and Charlie, maybe because they were, at least, honest and accepting of who they were. The plot was fairly twisty with lots of potential suspects and nobody to truly trust. Then came the explos
Harvey
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of Hughes' Ed Loy PI series so I was disappointed in this "thriller" effort.

The basic plot holds promise: who seeks revenge from the events of Halloween night 35 years ago. And the dynamics of a stagnant suburban marriage are presented well.

But the twists and turns and keeping score became too much after awhile.

And points off for so many "britishisms" in a book that takes place in Madison, Wisconsin and Chicago; surprisingly sloppy.

I will look forward to Hughes getting back to wha
Billy
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This book started out pretty slow, but by the end I couldn't put it down as I wanted to see how it played out. It had a bunch of twists and turns and walked you through the story in the eyes of a number of the characters in the book.
Nattie
Jun 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: incomplete
I thought this would be good, and I did enjoy the fall weather descriptions, but what I read was a rambling mess. I have no desire to even make a decent attempt at finishing it.
Patty
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
The plot wasn't bad but too unbelievable. It needed some editing, also.
Lola
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
First book I've read by Declan Hughes, and his writing was good enough that I will go back for more, even though in some ways I found this book unsatisfactory. The book is part mystery, part thriller, and almost horror-like in tone.

Hughes is wonderfully skilled with his language, so there are some gorgeous sentences here. His portrayal of a marriage gone stale and the POV of the main characters is really spot-on. And the book begins with an opening scene that absolutely grabs the imagination.

The
Stephanie A.
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
At first only my appreciation of the setting (Wisconsin in late October -- which is when I should have read this -- and a family home nestled within a university arboretum) kept me going, but pretty soon I was maddeningly sucked in and had to stay up until midnight to see what the big climax was going to be. I expected something otherworldly from the setup, curses or maybe alternate dimensions, and it turned out the answer was actually just sociopaths, but sociopaths + SUPER DEADLY HOUSE FIRE fr ...more
J
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Spoilers are all relative. One man's spoiler is another man's simple summary. So I rarely hide my reviews.

One minor quirk to this story - it's set in Chicago but the author is Irish. Every once in a while, a Brit phrase turns up that seems out of place. (Can't recall a specific example, but it might be something like saying "lift" instead of "elevator.") Anyway, it happens several times.

I'd classify this as a psycho-crime story.

In short: A married couple who've grown complacent renew their commi
Shorty6904
Jun 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
First chapter was great and I thought wow this one's gonna have me hooked but what a disappointment. I ended up reading only half the book as it was so boring.
Diana Maslowski
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Ending picked up and made me glad I finished it
Bruce Rogie
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Irish noir in Madison WI and Hughes writing internal dialogue with the best of them!
Shannon
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good page turner...
Cynthia Raleigh
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
The opening drew me into the story right away with the type of bewilderment and confusion none of us would ever want to encounter. The story kept me in suspense and wanting to return to the book. By the time I was on the last few chapters, I think I was grumbling, "I'm reading the end here...." to family members if they tried to talk to me. Many of the author's references were to things from my own period of growing up: mentions of television shows, music, very subtle "insider" jokes that someon ...more
Judy Lesley
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, suspense
Under normal circumstances this novel should have been one that I would not have chosen or, indeed, even liked. First, the description of the book felt as if it had given away the entire plot. Second, once I began reading I found the style was that of an unnamed narrator, which definitely is not a favorite literary style for me. Initial impressions can be deceiving, though; in this case they definitely were. The description of the book does give quite a bit of the plot away and yet there is so m ...more
Stephanie
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the Militant Recommender Book Review Blog: http://militantrecommender.blogspot.com/
Danny Brogan was eleven when he and his three friends burned down the house of a kid, Jackie Bradberry, who had been bullying him. It seemed like the perfect Halloween prank, setting some fires on the lawn of their home, to scare him and his older brothers. Somehow, things went horribly wrong... or did they? The whole family, the brothers, parents and two little kids who watched from the window as the fires g
Alan Taylor
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. It is fast paced, breathless at times. I loved Declan Hughes' Ed Loy series although I thought the last one, City of Lost Girls, was weaker than previous. This passed me by though and I discovered it by fortunate accident. The novel is a departure from the excellent Irish-noir of the Ed Loy books, an American-set domestic thriller similar in may respects to those of Linwood Barclay or Harlan Coben. The book is well-written and Hughes' choice of words is almost poetic at time ...more
Irenic
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a story that jumps backwards to the 70's when the characters were children collectively involved in a prank turned tragic, to the 21st century where they're adults still grappling with ripples from that tragedy. Dan and Claire are a Midwestern couple who, to all appearances, have the perfect family and the perfect life. However neither of them have been entirely forthcoming with the other. After a week away, Claire comes home to Madison, WI and finds their house almost completely emptied ...more
Robert
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I like the authors writing style and the story was pretty well twisted up for a relatively small cast of players. For that I stretched this out to a three star review of this tale of the past coming back to bite someone on the butt. The beginning was real good and I thought the author had a good start. Then the book kind of went into blah mood for a ways. At the end the author was able to save himself a bit and bring a few nice turns to the table. A big itch of mine is the technical details. If ...more
Lindsey Finney
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Monica
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a decent thriller, but...

It doesn't have the complexity and the nuance the I have liked in Hughes' other books. The horrendous events that overtake Clare Taylor and Danny Brogan and their kids all date back to what happened one night when Danny was eleven.

The jealousy and anger that infected his little group of boys lies dormant for thirty years then erupts in a series of extremely violent events aimed at retribution. It's a bit far fetched but it does move along pretty well.

The Madison an
Sandra
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Thus far I've loved everything I've read by Declan Hughes, and automatically added this (paperback version, but too-tightly bound for comfort) to my wishlist on hearing it was out.
But for me it was hugely disappointing. Not the writing, no doubt as accomplished as ever, but losing its impact when describing characters too bubble-gum, vapid American, acting out a plot far too contorted and cartoon-chase. The only person who could be believed to be real was Detective Nora Fox.
Sorry, and I hope the
Karen & Gerard
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This one kept me interested all the way. Imagine coming home from a trip and finding your husband, children and most of your furniture gone! This is what Claire, the female lead in this novel, comes home to find. Is her family safe, and who did this and why? Where did they go?

This is a good book that went back in time to set the scene. It skips around some, which many people on Amazon had a problem with, but I did not. I enjoyed this book and liked the ending too!
(Gerard's review)
Marina Sofia
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Very intriguing start to this novel,and some great twists and writing throughout. Great portrait of a marriage in which people feel it is 'best to leave things well alone' and long-festering secrets which can become dangerous. I did think it strange that virtually all parents were portrayed as alcoholics or otherwise irresponsible. Maybe there is nothing else to do in small towns like Madison? It does get a bit messy and predictable towards the end, but it's still an exciting read.
Joan
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I would not normally give more than 2 stars to any book that kills and mutilates a dog in the first chapter, which was totally unnecessary to the story or plot. However, I was forewarned in the pre-release press and cover flap and everywhere else, so it's my own fault. Other than that, it was well done, suspenseful and unfortunately like that last book I read, not all that hard to figure out.
Mary Crawford
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Great opening chapter of woman returning home to find her family an belongings gone. Thought the characters were wel portrayed especially the married couple who are central to the plot. Some interesting twists and turns but too many yeah thought that would happen to give higher rating. Am keen to read more.
Lynn
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Jessica
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Couldn't make myself finish it. Too slow of a build up and in the end, I just didn't care enough to keep reading. I'm a pretty fast reader so if I can't finish a book over a three day weekend then it is not interesting enough to me. I did enjoy the Chicago and Madison locations though.

• Havelock
  • A Safe Place for Dying (Dek Elstrom #1)
  • Princess Princess, Volume 03
  • No Cure for the Dead (Florence Nightingale Mystery #1)
  • Stray
  • Sweet Tooth: The Bittersweet History of Candy
  • Tiny Confessions: The Secret Thoughts of Dogs, Cats and Everything
  • Absolute Zero Cool
  • Kamikaze Girls (Manga)
  • Zombies at the Door, Planning for the Inevitable
  • Gunslinger Girl, Vol. 3
  • La casa dei sette cadaveri
  • The Third Squad
  • The Halloween Orgy Massacre
  • Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet, Vol. 02
  • Shifter's Destiny
  • Starers
  • Unspent Time
Declan Hughes has worked for more than twenty years in the theater in Dublin as director and playwright. In 1984, he cofounded Rough Magic, Ireland's leading independent theater company. He has been writer in association with the Abbey Theatre and remains an artistic associate of Rough Magic. He lives in Dublin, Ireland.

Series: