Start by marking “Bright Kids Who Can't Keep Up: Help Your Child Overcome Slow Processing Speed and Succeed in a Fast-Paced World” as Want to Read:

Do you find yourself constantly asking your child to "pick up the pace"? Does he or she seem to take longer than others to get stuff done--whether completing homework, responding when spoken to, or getting dressed and ready in the morning? Drs. Ellen Braaten and Brian Willoughby have worked with thousands of kids and teens who struggle with an area of cognitive functioning ...more
Published July 18th 2014 by The Guilford Press (first published July 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bright Kids Who Can't Keep Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Kids Who Can't Keep Up

Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick and easy read that provides a good introduction to processing speed deficits. I did not realize all of the different aspects of life that slow processing speed can impact, particularly social interaction! There are some good basic strategies for helping kids with slow processing speed both at school and at home.

Given the title, I was disappointed that it did not address higher IQ kids who have "average" processing speed, but a huge discrepancy compared to their other scores...though averag
Angie
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
After my son's counselor mentioned "slow processing speed" and I realized it was an actual thing, lightbulbs are going off in my mind. This book was like putting the pieces together for me, and it feels good to know we are on to something that can be further examined and hopefully accommodated.
Morag Gillespie
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This was reassuring in so far as it could've been written about my child, so many examples were relevant to her. It confirmed the diagnosis we have received. However, there wasn't too much information about how to proceed from here, tips to generally speed up etc. maybe I need a higher level book for that though.
Lynn
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-r
Interesting book on the subject. Makes me a fan of home schooling.
David
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, loved it, loved it. Reading this was like like discovering a missing, much needed instruction manual. I wish I could instantly download this information into everyone who interacts with our young child who is super smart, but likely struggles with slow processing (undiagnosed) that this book so perfectly describes. We've experienced it in all the places this book details: the dragging pace of getting ready in the morning, longer adjustment school and needing more time to complete work, ...more
Red
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did not agree with many of the author's opinions that teachers always know what's best for your child. They are the professionals but it's been my experience that many are not always properly trained or tuned in enough to recommend therapy and medication. Sometimes the child or teacher might be having a bad day or I am sorry to say that some teachers are biased as they just do not care for the child. The child and parent picks up on this.
On the other hand page 108 pinpointed traits of 'slower
Jamie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If your child is diagnosed with slow processing speed, read this book. I found it extremely illuminating and informative. I realized things about my child and put together aspects of his struggles that I hadn't realized were related to his slow processing speed. The book gives a solid general introduction to processing speed and then covers slow processing speed as it relates to school, home, and social situations. I glossed over the last chapter "Pulling It All Together" because my child has al ...more
Helen
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was helpful! I have a child who was diagnosed with slow processing speed, and the information in this book was useful in understanding that diagnosis. I liked the recommendations for collaborating with teachers, and ways to help children through certain situations. I did not like how the authors sometimes referred to processing speed "weaknesses" instead of maybe a word that's more indicative of this being a matter of neurodiversity - maybe processing speed "differences" or "variations". Ov ...more
Tramaine Gillus
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read on a topic that not many parents or educators are aware of: slow processing speed. Parents of children who are challenged with various cognitive deficits need three things: 1) information so that they are aware of the challenges and their impact on the life of their child, 2) accommodations that can help to level the playing field for their child to better ensure their success, and 3) reassurance that their child will ultimately be okay; this book is provides all three.
Rebecca
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful resource for an often-overlooked problem for our kids. Processing speed might be one of the last issues parents or educators would explore, but it affects a kid in so many areas that it's worth considering. Now that I'm aware of different processing speeds, I wish I could go back and redo my practicums and student teaching days. I based many classroom games--say nothing of my judgment of a student's learning ability--on high speed, quick witted skills.
Jennifer Parent
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Helpful to have an awareness of what affects my child. Some helpful strategies to consider. Definitely helpful for someone who has never considered processing speed as being an issue. Leaves me wanting more information/direction to how to help an intellectually bright child with slow processing speed to thrive in our current educational system. This supports some of the reasons that I have chosen to home school.
Diana Nelson
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though my child's processing speed falls within the average range, relative to his other abilities it is quite low (by two standard deviations on the WISC-V). With that in mind, this book was very instrumental in helping me see that some of his puzzling behaviors can be attributed to slow processing speed, and some of the solutions Dr. Braaten provides are helping relieve frustrations for him and for me.
Sharon
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book for professionals and parents

I work in schools and found this book to be a helpful description of slow processors. I think that this is a book that would be helpful to parents and professionals who are looking to become more familiar with this concept.
Holly
Apr 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not very helpful - case studies seem to mimic each other. Repetition of information - lacks depth regarding sustainable mechanisms to build self-esteem which is an issue with kids with LD.
Gina Coppolino
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
We have the diagnosis but I didn’t really know what it meant. This book filled in some gaps for me, like sports, Friendships, family games. Etc
April
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book I'd recommend to any in the special education field
Kris Sondermann
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book gave a lot of insight into impaired processing speed and tips and tricks for handling it.
Misty
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really eye opening... To see all of the issues together really made an impact on me
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this for school. Lots of good ideas. Zero discussion of how other identities might interact with slow processing.
Karen
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really helpful input for parents of children who are bright, but move through life at a slower pace. Things that were helpful to me include the bullet-point lists of clues that help you identify if your child is a slow-paced person in any number of life areas (social, academic, visual, audio, motor skills, general, etc.); recommendations for how to shift your tone of voice, words, and approach at home so you're not unintentionally slowing him down further; ideas for how to interact productively ...more
Sally Martin
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Detailed focus on one piece of the neuropsych evaluation. This was an area where my DD was relatively week so I wanted to learn more. Lots of specifics here, including examples of reports for a couple of very different kids. Helped me think very concretely about my child's current situation and come to some decisions.
Becky Kondritz
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Contains some good ideas for parents as a starting point. Concerned some parents will use this book as permission for inappropriate behavior. Slow processing speed is not a diagnosis for every mis-behavior or social awkwardness in every child. Great starting point for parents Who have been told their child has slow processing speed. Goes into social implications as well.
Rachael
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed some of the tips in this book, while I'm not sure that my son could officially be labeled as "slow processing" it was a nice reminder that he very much needs a little more time for some things both in school and at home.
Sarah Cassavaugh
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book as reference or informational about children who have slow processing speed. It may be combined with a variety of other causes. It helps to break down an understanding and have ideas of how to help.
Ylva
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting-etc
Fast read, informative, reassuring and offered some specific ideas/advice. Was expecting a bit more but a good introduction. May refer to again...
Mark Thomas
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Too much of a phd dissertation and how to get your child tested. I needed more tools to handle the situations.
Issac
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
not bad. excellent resource for parents- a bit on the simplistic side for professionals (but that's not who the book is geared to).
Andrea McDowell
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: brain-stuff
Fairly helpful introduction to the topic. A bit general to earn a 4* rating in my opinion, but overall Frances and I both got a lot out of it.
Toy
Sep 10, 2019
Gayle Juneau-Butler
Mar 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Looking for more book to read on slow processing speed 1 1 Jan 27, 2017 07:15AM

• Late, Lost & Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly about the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • The Anti-Romantic Child: A Story of Unexpected Joy
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Integration Issues
  • Strengths Based Parenting: Developing Your Children's Innate Talents
  • The Child With Special Needs: Encouraging Intellectual and Emotional Growth
  • Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous and Independent Children
  • The Art of Roughhousing: Good Old-Fashioned Horseplay and Why Every Kid Needs It
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life
  • Baby Signs: How to Talk with Your Baby Before Your Baby Can Talk, New Edition
  • Jo Frost's Toddler Rules: Your 5-Step Guide to Shaping Proper Behavior
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level
  • Quirky Kids: Understanding and Helping Your Child Who Doesn't Fit In- When to Worry and When Not to Worry
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • Appetite for Life: The Thumbs-Up, No-Yucks Guide to Getting Your Kid to Be a Great Eater--Including Over 100 Kid-Approved Recipes
“Because children with slow processing speed have trouble taking in information and retrieving information that they already know, it is common for them to miss the big picture.” 0 likes
“Good teachers tend to be empathic, and it’s really important for children with slow processing speed to have teachers who can empathize with their difficulties.” 0 likes