Start by marking “The Making of Star Wars (Enhanced Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Making of Star Wars (Enhanced Edition)

The Making of Star Wars

(Star Wars: The Making of #1)

This enhanced eBook transforms The Making of Star Wars into an immersive multimedia experience worthy of the original film. It features exclusive content pulled from the Lucasfilm archives by author J. W. Rinzler:

• 26 minutes of rare behind-the-scenes video*
• 29 minutes of rare audio interviews with the cast and crew
• New bonus photos and artwork not found in the print
Published October 22nd 2013 by LucasBooks (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of Star Wars

Start your review of The Making of Star Wars (Enhanced Edition)
Jack Herbert Christal Gattanella
"This film has been murder." - George Lucas

"I told George, 'You can't say that stuff, you can only type it.' But I was wrong. It worked." - Harrison Ford (in a quote that's been sort of taken out of context for years)

If you're a major Star Wars fan (more than I am, and I like the films quite a bit on the whole, yes even the prequels to greater or certainly lessor degrees), you've likely already read this, and probably own it as well since it's been out for over ten years. The people I'd like to
Andrew
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that would have changed my life had I read it as a 14-20 year old, causing me to pursue a career in film.

Having just completed it as a 37-year-old, I'm still highly inspired by the persistence, creativity, leadership, teamwork, and raw determination displayed by so many who collaborated on this film. Simply the making of this movie is as dramatic as the story itself, and highly worth the reading.

This is for fans of Star Wars, movie buffs, film historians, and - for the right per
Horza
I was after a big excavation of the prehistory and contingencies of the beast and this has it in spades.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
J.W. Rinzler is an excellent, meticulous researcher who is able to present his information in a clear, interesting manner. He has the talent to do this for both books like this one, that are "out of universe" and for "in universe" books like the Star Wars blue prints series. For die hard fans, he's a real treasure. This is a fantastic book, filled with wonderful details about the making of my favorite movie, ever. It's fun to read, and has great photographs, but it also makes a great reference b ...more
Luke
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, it was the start-up of movies and movie-making. Amazing to read about all the hard work, detours, and battles fought to make this. Star Wars fans or film fans should definitely check this out. Definitive.
Geoff Gresh
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few Star Wars books that avoids staring through the rose-colored glasses and shows Lucas & Co as what they were: a bunch of 20-something prodigies who could have just as well made a huge sci-fi flop as they could a media empire. Most of the interviews were culled from the time of actual production, so there's not much revisionist history. An excellent read with lots of awesome photos of people in 70s dress. ...more
Diz
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film, star-wars
This is an amazing book that delves deep into the history of Star Wars. It shows you how the script developed, how Lucas convinced the studio to take a chance on it, and how it was made. It also includes a lot of interviews and quotes from the creators of the film. This is one of the best film books in my library.
Dave Donahoe
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cinema
So much behind-the-scenes info. It's a fanboy's paradise. Loved it!
Andrés
It is a credit to the book's author that upon reading The Making of Star Wars I felt exhausted, yet exhilarated, as if I had participated in the entire process myself, from pre-production to editing.

Another thing that surprised me about this making-of book is that it's incredibly honest and doesn't seem to hold back anything about the ordeal that was making Star Wars come to life. You'll learn about Lucas' tough negotiations with Fox, who were anxious and dubious about the project (even Alan La
Scott MacBurnie
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is an exceptionally good book about the making of the original film, and by using quotes and interviews that were conducted at the time - it eludes the pitfall of having people (much later) remembering the moments through the sort of "of course we always knew that we were making a masterpiece" self-congratulatory tripe that sometimes colors books about famous films. It is made exceptionally clear, here, just how big of a gamble (and how likely a failure) the film really was, and how close to ...more
NickM
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So we'll just get this bit out of the way now: if you're a Star Wars fan that loves knowing behind the scenes stuff, then this is the book to read. It's cobbled together from Lucasfilm archives, and thank the gods someone had the foresight to store these things away or some elements of the story would have been lost forever.

This book is a trove of information that, I personally at least, didn't know all of from the numerous making ofs that I've seen of the original film over the years. You get a
Craig
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Any Star Wars fan will love the photos in this coffee table book.

But if you decide to read the story of how the film was made you may feel bogged down.

All the important people who made the film are mentioned but since I’m not a Hollywood insider, and very little time is spent with each of them, I found it difficult to remember who was who. If you are not familiar with film production then the description of how the special effects and camera work were made is difficult to follow.

I did enjoy th
Phillip
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Exhaustive

I found the history of George Lucas’ struggles producing the movie and getting sustained support from his studio an insightful view into just how enormous a task movie making can be- even if you have a strong vision and determination to match. That Star Wars even came together as cohesively and wonderfully as it did makes me marvel at the amount of talent, vision, and tenacity it takes to make films- especially good ones.

I didn’t like that many of the quotes, from original sources (ie
Tess
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caleb Sommerville
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely exhaustive collection of literally everything to do with the production of 1977's Star Wars.
And when I say exhaustive, I mean actor interviews, journals, paperwork, Polaroids, accounting documents, storyboards, anecdotes, studio political intrigue, internal memos, and so forth.
It took me quite a long time to read half because of its...well, dryness (but that's the whole point of the book, so I can't fault it for being academic) and it's physical size.
This is a biiiig book.
Plus, n
David Halford
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book was recommended by a friend as “the ultimate history book for you” (meaning me) and he was right. It’s incredibly detailed and gives a lot of insight into how Star Wars went from an idea to a movie, and it’s a fun read. I read the digital special edition which has a bunch of video and audio added to it, from early dailies to voiceover recordings of Alec Guinness telling Luke to use the Force, and giving me goosebumps in the process. If you are at al interested in Star Wars above t ...more
Jodie Troutman
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
An absolute triumph of a "making of" book, using countless rare and unheard interview material from during the film's production. This is a warts-and-all retelling, without the benefit of revisionist history or rose-colored glasses. It truly captures just how much nobody thought Star Wars would actually amount to anything, for the studio to the people who were actually making it. Lucas's despair is palpable in some passages. This was a reread, and I'll probably read it for a third time at some p ...more
Tim Milligan
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is a very well-written, very detailed look at the making of Star Wars, from George Lucas saying "I want to make a Flash Gordon movie" to "I am retiring from directing and setting up a company to make the sequels." You should only read this book if you want to learn everything about how that movie was developed, written, rewritten, designed, filmed, edited, assembled, etc. But if that does interest you, definitely read this book.
Aaron W. Roberts
Giving this five stars for sheer quantity of info and pictures, however, for readability I'd give this four stars. It was a bit of a tough slog early (lots of lawyers doing lawyer stuff), but after about 100 pages it is quite riveting. Making films is such a massive collaborative undertaking and this book shines best in showing that process.
Wesley Pesley
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really exceptional piece of work. Contains all the information a geek could want, as well as wonderful photos and interesting audio/video clips. I'm a massive fan of Star Wars, and now a fan of Rinzler as well.
Jesse
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. Everything you would want from a "Making of" book. Lucas's accomplishment feels thrilling once more after hearing the first hand accounts collected during the actual filming of the movie or shortly thereafter. Highly recommended.
Megan Kammeyer
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, although there is apparently at least one deliberate inaccuracy in the book for an interview with Lucas, which Lucas apparently requested. This is disturbing for the novel, but it appears that everything else with the book is alright.
Wes Thompson
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing read. Required reading for anyone interested in the history of SW or moviemaking in general. I have a much better understanding and appreciation for George Lucas after finishing this book.
Tim
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the definite edition! Must-read if you're a star wars fan like me.
Trent Hutzenbuhler
Officially the best Star Wars "making of" book. A must read!
David  Despain
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A
Albert Chessa
The be-all-end-all source of information on Star Wars, the 1977 film. Excellent book.
Doug Penikas
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Truly fascinating what George Lucas went through to get the film made.
Michael Legge
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shame he dies in the end.
Ed Dougherty
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my daily B reading book for a week or so. I had heard for years it was great, but thought I had had enough of Star Wars. Well it was great! Now I’ll probably read the rest of them. Dammit
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  • A Long Time Ago in a Cutting Room Far, Far Away: My Fifty Years Editing Hollywood Hits—Star Wars, Carrie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Mission: Impossible, and More
  • The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #4)
  • Thirty-Seven Days of Peril
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 3: Remastered
  • The Art of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  • Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Vol. 1
  • Darth Plagueis
  • Batman, Volume 5: Zero Year: Dark City
  • Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
J. W. Rinzler has authored over 20 books including two New York Times bestsellers and a #1 best-selling graphic novel. With more than 600,000 copies in print, his books have been translated into seven languages.

J. W. Rinzler grew up in Manhattan, New York City, and then in Berkeley, California. He fell in love with old monster films, such as Dracula and Frankenstein, as well as Robin Hood and othe

Star Wars: The Making of (3 books)
  • The Making of The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars:  The Making of, #2)
  • The Making of Return of the Jedi (Star Wars:  The Making of, #3)

News & Interviews

“I think Disney would have accepted this movie if Walt Disney were still alive. Walt Disney not only had vision, but he was also an extremely adventurous person. He wasn’t afraid.” 0 likes