Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints (Encyclopedia Brown #16)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  705 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews

Who hid the blond wig in the trash can near the Yacht Club...why does Tyrone Taylor have a black eye...and what about the mysterious handprints outside Mr. Heiden's cottage?

Who knows? Encyclopedia Brown, of course! America's Sherlock Holmes in sneakers is back, with ten brand-new solve-it-yourself mysteries to challenge and amaze his fans. You can match wits with the ten-y

Published September 16th 1985 by HarperCollins (first published 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints

Brady
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My read-and-review-one-book-a-week resolution is getting desparate, as you can see. Unwilling to read the 148 pages I have remaining in Life of Pi by tonight, I nabbed this book from my little brother's shelf.

I loved Encyclopedia Brown when I was the age for him, and I love him now as well. He's living proof that no knowledge is useless, and his viciously snarky and unabashed attitude mixes with his expansive brain to create the perfect kind of mini-sleuth. And the one-liners are great, and the
Eric
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mystery
When I was in third grade I discovered Cam Jansen and Encyclopedia Brown. I read all of these mysteries, and once I got used to the styles was solving most of them with the title characters. These books started my love affair with mysteries and my love of interactive books (In a few years I would discover the Choose Your Own Adventures and the Lone Wolf books, which in turn would lead to my love of RPGs....).

My wife found one of the old 1986 Bantam Skylark books of Encyclopedia Brown at one of
Alex
No matter how many of these I read, I still can't manage to solve even half of the cases. I'd feel dumb, but I'm pretty sure no one on earth could solve all of them, since EB sure uses a lot of circumstantial evidence and far-out theories to explain his "solutions".

I would love to see one of the villains just laugh in his face and say he's proved nothing during EB's holier-than-thou speech on why he, and he alone, solved the case.

That being said, man this is fun re-reading these and snarking o
Nam
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am ashamed to admit that I did not uncover the answer to any of the stories. Interesting answers, but I cannot rate highly because of my own incompetence in this specific book.
Amy "the book-bat"
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of mysteries
I found this book at the library book sale and just had to read it. What a pleasant blast from the past! I remember reading the Encyclopedia Brown books back around 3rd or 4th grade and loving them. After reading this one, I still love them. I was surprised at how something written for grade schoolers holds up so well. I was also surprised at not being able to solve the "mysteries" without turning to the solutions. Then I was like "duh, that's so obvious!" LOL Anyway, if you like childhood myste ...more
Marc
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
It was ok, though I thought the explanation for The Case of the Stolen Tools was a bit crazy. I don't see how a police officer would accept the explanation of a telescope that is pointing at the moon to solve the mystery.
Partridge Public
Canavan
✭✭ ...more
Rkb 2015
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of children's mysteries
Recommended to Rkb by: Amy
Shelves: usa-maine

I had to do a search to find out where the town of Idaville was supposed to be.
Tim Ganotis
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't tell if I am solving the mysteries based on the clues, or because the solution is tucked away in my brain from reading these as a child. Either way, quite enjoyable.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Encyclopedia Brown series as a kid, tho' I could not get any of my kids fired up about them
Mas5thgrade2011
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5b, boomer7
cool book
Katie
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great childrens series about a younf boy detective. He solves the mysteries that go on in his town with the help of his friends and insight from his father the police officer.
Mskychick
Place keeper for re-read of Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs
Matt
Oct 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Even twenty years later, I still get stumped.
Andy
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was a blast from the past
Melissa
Krystal
Jun 09, 2014
Mitchell Stewart
Feb 19, 2015
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Circus Clown (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #7)
  • Detective Stories
  • The Case of the Runaway Dog
  • Louis Braille: The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind
  • The New Year Dragon Dilemma (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #5)
  • The Mystery in Washington D.C. (Boxcar Children Mystery & Activities Specials #2)
  • The Mummy Case (Hardy Boys, #63)
  • Horrible harry and the Mud Gremlins
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Search in the Great City (Bobbsey Twins, #9)
  • The Missing 'Gator of Gumbo Limbo (Ecological Mystery, #2)
  • 名探偵コナン 36 (Detective Conan #36)
  • The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #3)
  • The Frog Who Croaked (Platypus Police Squad, #1)
  • The Phantom of the Post Office (43 Old Cemetery Road, #4)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)