Start by marking “The South Forsaken” as Want to Read:
The South Forsaken

Read Book* *Different edition

The South Forsaken

Boxing Day was supposed to be dedicated to sleep, and recovery from the over indulgences of Christmas feasting. When a new virus takes root in Geelong, beers have to be set aside in favour of running for their lives.
Published (first published May 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The South Forsaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The South Forsaken

Tracy
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy

A book about the zombie apocalypse set in Australia? With zombie central beginning in Geelong? How could I not read this!

For those of you non Australian readers - Geelong is a regional city not too far from Melbourne that is the butt of numerous jokes along socio-economic lines. (Too cryptic – think about it, you’ll figure it out.)

The South Forsaken by Rachel Drummond centres around Sarah, a nurse, her friends, family and a disparate group of strangers they meet in their various battles for su
Jacinta Maree
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually read the book The South Forsaken by Rachel Drummond a while ago but forgot to post my review, so I'm sorry that my memory has faded a bit.

But, what hasn't faded was my initial feeling and response, not only to the heart pounding adventure that our protagonist, Sarah, is forced into but also Rachel's world building and in-depth characters. The concept of zombies have been around for a while, and it's getting hard to not walk the same beaten track many have before but I'm pleased to sa
Michael Donner
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
So once again I get to be proven wrong. I keep saying how tired I am of zombie fiction and yet I keep getting it sent to me and I keep enjoying it despite myself. So it is with another great read from first time author and her debut novel “The South Forsaken” by Rachel Drummond.
OK the first thing I have to mention is that the biggest novelty of this book was that it was set in the author’s home of Australia. As with another author from across the pond there were some language issues because we
Melissa
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love zombie books. There are very few zombie books that I have read that I have not liked. I'm still not sure about this book. There are parts that I liked, and parts that I didn't like.

What I did like, was that the main character Sarah, was a horror fan, so she was already prepared for a zombie apocalypse. I like that. I've never read a zombie book where the main character (or any character for that matter) had t
Charlene Whitlock
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I purchased a pre release copy at SupaNova on the weekend. i bought quiet alot of books but this was the one i wanted to start with. At the beginning i struggled to get into it in all honesty, but suddenly the style of writing changed, becoming more detailed and dragging me in further, once this happened i couldn't put the book down. Rather then following the same footsteps of the standard zombie stories the writer successfully brought in her own unique elements such as the mentally ill twists a ...more
Holly
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Zombies are a bit passe, now that Hollywood has done them to death, but Rachel has tried to work her magic and bring a new spin to the issue. It reads like an action movie, with the suspense to go with it, set in Melbourne. It doesn't read like Hollywood, it reads more like Australian cinema - and for those of you who have seen Priscilla, Mad Max or Wolf Creek, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Good characters and good work tying the many threads of characters together.

While this is an intere
Nettie
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I honestly dont know why it too me so long to read this book since its less than 200 pages and absolutely brilliant. Its action packed from the very first go. All the characters are believable. And theres no dancing around the fact that there are zombies and people have seen movies so know how to act. I cant wait to read the next one.
Polly Krize
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Although not overly descriptive, this is the first installment in the proposed series by Rachel Drummond. As an uncontrollable virus turns most humans into zombies, bands of scattered survivors try to survive against insurmountable odds. Well written.
Brenton
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book that I couldn't put down which meant a few sleepless nights for me. The best part was that it felt real and grounded in reality dispite th zombies. You could easily relate to to the locations, the people and the conditions. I am so glade i bought the second book at the same time seen as the ending was a heart breaking place to finish ( though fitting).
Galen
Oct 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Did not finish.
Jenni de Gille
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't normally like zombie fiction, but I could barely put this book down. I wanted to get to the end to find out what happened, can't wait to read the next one!
MeganTheNinja
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An awesome read! Huge fan of zombie fiction and this book is definitely one of the best! Brilliantly written and fully loaded with kickass characters, 100% recommend!
Mawson Bear
Badseedgirl
Aug 05, 2016
FeeMac
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The South Forsaken is set in Australia and if you are looking for a zombie fix then look no further. This book has an original concept for the onset of the zombie virus but, I have to say how did the virus spread so quickly? For me, a little more information on the initial spread would have made the story more complete. The virus went from the Dad to his son then suddenly seemed like it was everywhere. As there were a lot of characters within the storyline I discovered that although I liked them ...more
Andy