Start by marking “The Sentinel (The Sentinel #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sentinel (The Sentinel #1)

The Sentinel

(The Sentinel #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  248 ratings  ·  48 reviews
WHAT IF SAVING THE WORLD MEANT LOSING EVERYTHING?

When Eve is rescued from a horrific coach crash by her teachers, she is shocked to discover they possess super strength and speed. But what happens next is even more harrowing.

In the aftermath of the crash she discovers that everyone in her life from neighbours, doctors, dentists, teachers, shop keepers and even her family
Published October 15th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Sentinel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sentinel

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Sentinel (The Sentinel #1)
Elaine
From the coach crash start to the very end this is an enthralling, action packed fantasy adventure in which seventeen year old Eve Jones discovers that her nothing in her life so far has been what she’d assumed. With super strong guardians protecting her against foes she’d never known about, it is a race for Eve to develop her own powers to help prevent the world as we know it being totally destroyed.

As she learns more about her real origins, the prophecy concerning her future and that of those
Jack
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Sentinel begins as a bus crash leaves a coach load of school-goers teetering on the edge of a cliff (think the finale of The Italian Job). However, there are no laughs here because violent death seems all but inevitable. That is until Eve’s teachers go all Clark Kent and rescue her from the inside of the vehicle. Somewhat annoyingly though, the teachers seem prepared to let everyone else on the coach die in order to keep what’s happened a secret. Queue a super-turn from Eve herself to preven ...more
Sharon Sant
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The opening of The Sentinel leaves you almost as bewildered as the book's protagonist, Eve, as she is suddenly hit by a million revelations about what and who she really is - revelations that will shatter her life forever. But then the story settles into a pace that takes the reader on a journey of discovery along with Eve, where she begins to make sense of her new world and discovers more about the huge weight of responsibility that is hers to bear. It's a supercharged, superfast, superhero sto ...more
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Eve is a normal regular teenager…or so she thinks. After Eve is rescued from a horrific crash on a school trip, she discovers that her teachers have super human speed and strength that they used to save her. But the shocks don’t stop there, as Eve then discovers that people around her – teachers, neighbours, even her family and friends are Guardians with super strength that have been sent to protect her. And they all have one final goal in mind: that Eve must be kept alive at all costs. As Eve s ...more
Joana Hill
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Read more reviews on my blog, Words and Tea Bottles.

A free e-book copy was given to me in exchange for a review.

There was a lot to be covered in The Sentinel; at its heart, I feel like it’s a good book, or at least a good premise. It takes place in our world but has an entirely new one that we need to be introduced to in order to understand what’s happening. This is done by way of the main character, Eve, who’s special to this world but doesn’t know it. Even though she was being raised by guardi
Rebecca Stonehill
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter could not put this book down - she was completely engrossed. We will definitely be checking out further books in the Sentinel Series - well done Holly Martin!
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

A YA paranormal romance, "The Sentinel" begins with the romance already established, the plot movement comes from Eve learning, fighting, and challenging everyone around her to improve.

Read full review in the 2014 February issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Pama
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Story about a 17 year old teenager, Eve, who's destined to save the world. Downloaded the book based on the reviews, but not my usual genre of reading. From the beginning it draws you in, I was unable to put it down until I finished. Fast paced with plenty of action. Can't wait to read the sequel.
Pat Elliott
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
The action in this book drew me in immediately. A page turner that kept me enthralled. Twice I had to put it down to sleep, but as soon as I could, I was back for more. Looking forward to the next.
Katie Jones
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's no easy introduction in this story, from page one you're immediately dropped into the action and mystery that is Eve's life. There's a lot of characters, it took a couple of chapters to get my head around who was who but each character has a part to play and they're all interesting to read. I particularly like Eli and Lucas. Looking forward to reading more.
Lina
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok. So the beginning was a bit off. Way to quick to me. It all happened so fast that by the first couple of pages i was rethinking reading it. But later on, it became really interesting. The plot line is different and pretty well explained.
Lets see what book 2 shows.
Kelly Jarvis
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice introduction to the series a little confused at the beginning with all the characters and different types of people but I picked it up in the end, different to Holly's normal writing which is nice, looking forward to the next in the series
Loz
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Holly's writing, it's so easy to read, but I did find this a bit too fast paced with too much happening. But I shall likely read the rest because the world in it is very interesting.
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/2...

The Sentinel was insanely good.I mean, INSANELY insanely good. More so because I don't usually enjoy fantasy books and this was completely out of my normal genre range.And do I regret it? Hell to the no, because The Sentinel by Holly Martin rocked my freaking world.

Firstly, the whole idea behind The Sentinel was amazing. I swear, the imagination of Holly Martin was phenomenal. She creates the craziest scenarios, adds her ma
Jess Bickerton
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The fantasy genre is quite new to me, so when Holly offered me the chance to review her novel I was extremely excited. And I am so glad that I did because The Sentinel captured me entirely. Holly has produced an absolute masterpiece and I am still finding it hard to believe that this is her debut novel. It has left me with an insane book hangover, but the brilliant news is that there is more... hurry Book 2! I NEED YOU!!

The Sentinel opens with a dramatic scene where Eve's life is hanging in the
Kirsty & Erin Muir
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is unlike anything I have ever read before.

Firstly, thank you to Holly for sending me a copy of her book The Sentinel to review. I was having a bit of a slump with reading and I ended up putting the book I was reading down, and looking for something else. I had a scroll down my kindle library and when I saw this again I thought I would start it and see if I could get my reading mojo back.

The Sentinel is about main character Eve. Eve lives in our world; she is just a normal girl. Except she
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is rapidly dawning on me that I have wasted a huge chunk of my life by refusing to read fantasy novels. And this book is just one example of why.
Eve is a normal seventeen year old girl on her way back from a school skiing holiday in France. Everything is seemingly average until the coach she is travelling on ends up dangling over the edge of a cliff. Two of her teachers rush to help Eve to safety but Eve is confused: why are they so focused on rescuing Eve and no one else on the bus? Things
Bethany
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review of The Sentinel by Holly Martin

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5 stars

This is a story about a young women named Eve who is thrown into a magical world where things she couldn't have ever imagined exist. She is a sentinel and has been guarded her whole life by guardians because of her destiny. However her life is in danger every step of the way by those who do not want to see her destiny fulfilled. And with the help of her guardians she has to learn this ne
Charli - To Another World
Read more reviews and other posts at To Another World!

Where do I start with The Sentinel? I don't think I can do it justice, in all honesty. Ok, let me start at the beginning, then. The beginning of the book is descriptive, and I'd fallen in love with Martin's writing style by the third page. She manages to introduce the fantasy of the book within the modern, descriptive action scene in the first few chapters, and all of the action scenes are excecuted amazingly.

The book has a perfect balance of
United Indie Book Blog
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a story about a young woman named Eve who is thrown into a magical world where things she couldn't have ever imagined exist. She is a sentinel and has been guarded her whole life by guardians because of her destiny. However, her life is in danger every step of the way by those who do not want to see her destiny fulfilled. And with the help of her guardians, she has to learn this new world and her place in it while at the same time try
Janet Emson
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book starts with a bang, literally and continues at the same pace. Eve is 17. Her world changes when the coach she is travelling on is involved in a horrific crash. As the coach teeters on the edge of a cliff she watches as her teachers seemingly do the impossible - they pull the coach to safety.

She soon finds out that she is The Sentinel, created to save the world and that all the people she has ever known are her Guardians, pledged to protect her from those who don't want her to fulfil he
Emma Star Crossed Reviews
This review was originally posted on Star Crossed Reviews OMG WHAT A BOOK!!!!!

So I was in need of an epic fantasy novel and I had hear so much chatter about this book on twitter and Jo (@cometbabe) had been telling me to read this book for a while so I had high hopes for this book. I am VERY glad to say that it did not disappoint. I hope this review can do it justice but I very much doubt that.

This book begins with Eve on the way  back from a skiing trip in France and she selflessly and heroical
Sharon Chapter One, Page One..
Thank you to Holly for sending me an ARC copy of her excellent debut novel The Sentinel, to read and review.

My rating for this great debut novel is **** stars.

The Sentinel is a young adult/fantasy which isn’t my usual kind of genre, but I found myself gripped from the start and couldn’t put it down.

This was such an enjoyable read that drew me in with its imaginative script and fast paced action, it was easy to be captivated from Chapter One.

The story revolves around Eve and how she discovers tha
Deborah
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Eve Jones is forcibly introduced into a world of special powers, Deus, Guardians, Putarians, Reapers, Zeki, Donum and Shape Shifters during a terrifying near-death experience on a ski trip. And that's just the start; it's hard to keep track of how many times someone tries to kill her. While she escapes most of them intact, her loved ones aren't so lucky. And why is everyone after her? Because it's prophesied that she's going t
BestChickLit.com
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you’re a book hoarder like me, you’ll know what I’m talking about when I refer to a read that’s been sitting on your Kindle for an age; a book that you really want to, and keep meaning to, read but something always gets in the way. And then you finally get to dive in and find yourself completely blown away. That, my friends, is the exact story of me and The Sentinel by Holly Martin.

Starting with a bang, the opening scenes prove to be the catalyst of change in Eve’s life, as everything she’s e
Lisa Forester
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Sentinel is the kind of book that starts with action. There are no underlying mutterings that manage to stir enough interest to make you turn the pages until you finally reach the action packed crescendo at the end... No, The Sentinel is completely action packed from start to finish, and I cannot recommend this book enough!

It begins with a coach crash. Yep, within two pages you are practically witnessing a coach load of kids teetering over the edge of a precipice - staring death in the face!
Joecool Review
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a fantastic story!! This is my favorite type of series......It is intense and fast-paced, but there is a satisfying conclusion at the end! It didn't leave me hanging at the end!! Now it didn't wrap up the entire story, there is still definitely a lot to resolve, but we are given that satisfied feeling at the end. That is until I read the small blurb for the second book! WOW is about all I can say!

So Eve is 17 years old and just found out she is the supposed "Sentinel" that is going to s
Kelly
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what can I say? I was hooked from page one, in fact blown away would be more accurate. The book starts with a coach crash, in which Eve is involved, as far as she is aware she is just an ordinary teenage, but following the crash her whole life changes when she discovers she is The Sentinel. Everything she thought she knew is thrown into disarray as she discovers she has a multitude of powers and is the one to save the world. Throw into the mix Quinn, Eli and Seth, plus the rest of the guard ...more
Lisa Veldkamp
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Now my hearbeat has come down to a normal rate again, I'm able to write a review that will do justice to this utterly amazing book.

If you think you've read more than a dozen fantasy adventure books, think again! The Sentinel brings you a whole new world. Beings you never heard of, creatures you never heard of, powers that are just described beautifully. The main character, Eve, is just about to discover them all and we're along for the ride, discovering it with her.

You will feel anxious with her
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is based around Eve, a girl specially created to save the world from a prophecy. The main groups in the book are Guardians, who are Eve's protectors and other species who are trying to kill Eve. The book follows Eve's journey and the people around her.

I picked this book completely at random because I wanted to read a pretty traditional fantasy book. I ended up reading the book that night, in just three hours and immediately downloaded the second book in the series.

Nothing in the book

• A Home On Bramble Hill
  • The Cafe at the Loch (Loch Lannick, #4)
  • Fireworks over the Loch (Loch Lannick Book 3)
  • The Castle by the Loch (Loch Lannick Book 2)
  • Tied Up with Love
  • Sad Poetry
  • A Short History of the First World War: Land, Sea  Air, 1914-1918
  • The First World War: The War To End All Wars (Very Short History Book 17)
  • Travelling Eye (Tiger's Eye Mystery #0.5)
  • For a Ghost-Free Time, Call
  • Anne Boleyn: A Very Brief History
  • Bride for the Alien Warrior
  • The Headmaster's Office: An Erotic Teacher Student First Time Story (Dorm Room Dares Book 1)
  • Eye of the Storm (Tiger's Eye Mystery #5)
  • Coming Home to the Loch (Loch Lannick #1)
  • The Restaurant
  • Shopping for an Heir (Shopping for a Billionaire, #10; Inheritance, #9)
  • Nantucket Neighbors (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove, #2)
Holly lives in a little white cottage by the sea. She studied media at university which led to a very glitzy career as a hotel receptionist followed by a even more glamorous two years working in a bank. The moment that one of her colleagues received the much coveted carriage clock for fifteen years’ service was the moment when she knew she had to escape. She quit her job and returned to university ...more

The Sentinel (4 books)
  • The Prophecies (The Sentinel #2)
  • The Revenge (The Sentinel, #3)
  • The Reckoning (The Sentinel, #4)