Start by marking “Hidden (Dragonlands, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden (Dragonlands, #1)

Hidden

(Dragonlands #1)

Alternate Cover Edition can be found here.

The mystery enshrouding Hutton’s Bridge is as impenetrable as the fog that descended at its borders eighty years ago. Each year, three villagers enter the mist searching for answers. No one ever returns.

Then a dragon falls from the sky to the town square, dead—the first glimpse of an outside world that has become nothing more than
Published May 2014 by 80 Pages Incorporated (first published December 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden

Dana
Sep 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 20%

I hate putting down stories, but at the end of the day life is just too short for bad books.

I was annoyed right off the bat with this, from the stilted dialogue to the dumb "romance" my patience wilted quickly. I do think that the concept is decent but the writing is just too amateur to pull it off. 1.5/5

I will concede that the cover is pretty though.
Joey Woolfardis
Mar 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
It's a nice idea with good imagination, but it is executed very poorly. The story begins nicely and sets the scene for what should be an intriguing read, but sadly the terrible writing (put down the thesaurus, no one has emerald eyes) and the shoddy characterisation really dampens any enjoyment.

The romance is obvious and annoying, but there are little aspects of the way these people live that are interesting. The fog is a nice concept, but there are no little hints here and there to urge you to
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Megg Jensen, All Night Reads, and NetGalley.)

This was an okay story, but I lost interest.

Tressa was an okay character, and I felt sorry for her in the way she had lost everyone and everything important to her. I liked that Tressa found friendship in Connor and Bastian, but I wasn’t 100% happy with her relationship with Bastian considering that he was married!

The storyline in this just began to drag afte
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
****I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from the author.****

For a short period of time, I was a bit turned off from the fantasy genre. I still liked it, but it was overshadowed for me by dystopian and contemporary novels. Hearing so many incredible things about Megg Jensen's books, I jumped at the chance to review HIDDEN and am so happy I did. This story was awesome and well told - not only did I love it so much I couldn't put it down, but it also renewed my interest
Mikayla
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This book has so much potential, but because of the middle of the book being slow and uneventful, I was slowed down considerably when reading this book. Though some parts were good, there was room for improvement.

For me to carry on with the series, I have to be blown away by the first book. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I wish it was just that little bit better an I would've carried on.

So, this book gets more of a 2.5 stars than a 3, and so far my reading this year had be uneventful.
Lola
I got a copy in exchange for a honest review

Basically I think the author has a nice idea, but for me it didn't work out. The first half was so full with plot holes, bad character descisions and lack of world building it was almost funny. The second half was a whole lot better, but it was still way out there. It just didn't make sense and it just felt like there wasn a thought out logic missing behind it. But the basic idea of the world, which we find out pretty late in the story was kinda nice.

T
Ali
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for free in exchange for an honest review.

Where do I start with this? So many different things I liked, things I didn't.

Cover art - Check. Loved this, I have a feeling it's what initially drew me in (which is really quite terrible of me as you should never judge a book by it's cover).

Map - Check. I love a good fantasy with a map! I like to see how everything's laid out and I think it gives the reader a good sense of direction.

Now... Hidden is the fir
Abbie
Sep 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

Hidden started out pretty good, but i lost interest.

I felt really sorry for Tressa, as she had lost everyone/everything in her life that she loved or wanted.
I should have been happy for her when she found romance, but i didn't like it at all. I hate cheating, so Tressa sleeping with a married man wasn't a romance that i could like.

The first 30% of this was quite good, but it went downhill after that. The p
Rik
Aug 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
With a great book, I can't wait to read more and never want it to end. With Hidden, I couldn't wait for it to end so I didn't have to read more.

The book started well enough, setting up an interesting scenario albeit with some clunky dialogue. About one-third of the way in, things dropped off dramatically. The writing - especially dialogue between characters - remained as awkward as ever, switching between 'olde worlde' and American high school student on a whim.

Key events were skipped over, wit
Ana

"He'd seen enough to know he had to suspend disbelief."

Yes, that line is actually in the book and that is exactly what I felt was being asked of me time and time again. Ironic, ey?

The book started with such an interesting premise in the prologue. A 13-year-old kid wakes up to a village where every single adult disappeared and they are now surrounded by fog. However, in general, the book was very disappointing.

It has been a while since I have read somethin
Kim
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hidden is the first in a new series, the Dragonlands, and it is fantasy of epic proportions. If you have read any of her Song of Eloh Saga series, you know the kinds of worlds that Megg creates. She is genius at creating fantasy worlds and this latest word treat is no different. It is a very different world than Eloh, although just as filled with magic, intrigue, and mystery. And dragons, there are dragons!

Hidden had a fantastic set of characters, some of whom I loved and some of whom I hated. T
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Plenty on offer for all readers:

Take a village mysteriously surrounded by a thick fog that no one can escape from, a heroine who will do anything to protect her people, and throw in some dragons and a couple of witchy-tree people, and there you have what I think is a fantasy novel that ticks all the boxes. This is the first novel I have read by Megg Jensen and I loved every minute of it.

From the start you know that Tressa, our heroine, is not someone who will shy away from protecting those she l
Tnt Reviews
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The town of Hutton’s Bridge is surrounded by fog. No one has ever returned after venturing into the fog. Every year, three people are chosen to enter the fog to search for answers and a way out. They never return. The dead are also cast into the fog. Hutton’s Bridge has become self-sufficient. You must have a purpose or you will be chosen to enter the fog. Families are formed in a ribbon choosing ritual. Men and women are paired by
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

This book sure had me hooked on the first chapter. It was intense, and very interesting. An exciting fantasy world for sure. It’s brutal too, and had bits that to me were a bit scary. It sounded scary when describing the fog and how the village is surrounded by it, and that no one would come back alive from the fog. It’s completely blinding and there are creatures in it. Deadly ones. So, this had reminded me of a Stephen King movie I watched many years ago, called the Mist. That movie was very c
Kristina
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
What I Loved
Characters
Tressa: My favorite type of female character, she struggles with what she must do, but when she needs to stand up and do the hardest things she gets it done. She is willing to make sacrifices for the good of her people and willing to sacrifice her happiness and self for the ones she loves. I'm really excited to see what happens to her in the next book, and I wonder what she will be doing next to save her village again.
Fantasy
I love fantasy, I love new and different worlds t
Shay West
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was drawn into this book from the first chapter I read and the action didn't stop. Jensen gives a unique take on dragons that makes me super eager to read the rest of the series! I loved the characters, especially Leo :) I feel so sorry for one of the main characters, Tressa. She's had it pretty rough but that gives her the strength she will need to fulfill her destiny. The only problem is, she doesn't know what that destiny is. Jensen introduces an interesting love triangle revolving around T ...more
Shirley
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received Hidden in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Oh how I have missed Megg Jensen’s fantasy books. Megg first caught my attention with her Song of Eloh Saga which includes both her Cloud Prophet Trilogy and the Swarm Trilogy. The world building in those books was full of magic and mystery. Even though I really enjoyed Shucked (her fun and adventurous Young Adult mystery) and am finishing up her Hell Bent/Heaven Sent compilation that she first wrote under the name Isobel Lucas, I miss
Susan Heim
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tressa is a feisty character due to the events that have shaped her life thus far. She is orphaned at a young age and raised by her grandmother, who seems kindly and yet insists that three people enter the fog each year, most certainly to face death. Tressa experiences another disappointment when the young man she falls in love with, Bastian, is forced to marry another woman. With nothing to lose except her own life, Tressa becomes determined to unravel the mystery of the fog. Though married and ...more
Shelly Wygant
This was a great start to a fantasy series. You are introduced to the characters living in Hutton's Bridge that is surrounded by fog. You get to know Tessa, Bastian and Connor as they set out in the fog to seek the adventure of the outer world. I loved the characters. You personally got to know them.

Megg Jensen captivates you from the beginning of this story. The way she describes the world so that you feel like you are there. She makes you feel like you are exploring the for right with the cha
Kelly Akemann
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to say I am not normally one for a dragon story. I was constantly surprised and thrilled while reading this story. Just when I thought I had things figured out, a different twist would occur. And not a twist that had me cursing the story - one that had me excited to see what else could happen. I have to say I was disappointed in my need to stop reading just to be able to attend a meeting. I really enjoy Tressa's character and that of Bastian. I look forward to the next one to see where th ...more
Kaitlynn
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
This has to be one of, if not the, worst books I’ve read this year.

The prose is simplistic and abuses adjectives, adverbs, and simile, and particularly tired old ones at that. There is far more telling than showing, with the two occasionally at odds with each other, showing one thing and then telling another. On the odd occasion when showing is done well, the author, not trusting the audience to get it, tells us anyway. The language of the novel can’t seem to decide what tone it wants, leaving
Joana Veríssimo
It started better than it ended... I really enjoyed the beginning, and then just went off the rails... and it really became not my thing... It's still a high three stars, so not all bad...

Read for free from GooglePlay, through BookBub :)
Megan Daws
May 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
I won’t say I hated this book. I did enjoy it, particularly at first. The concept isn’t something I’ve seen before – it takes place in a village surrounded by a dangerous, possibly poisonous fog that no-one ever returns from. The villagers have no contact with the outside world and are kind of looking for a way to escape the fog but mostly just getting on with their lives, with no idea what lies within the fog or how it came to be there. I do like this premise, and I like the idea of creatures l ...more
Catina Lewis
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

(I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

When I read the synopsis I was really really interested in the book so I had to read it. Right now I am just at a lose for words really. I liked the book, but I didn't like the book, if that makes sense. At one point I got so frustrated around 40% I just wanted to stop reading this in general, but I can't just stop reading a book I have to finish it so I know what happens just in case I do enjoy it.

In the begi
Cynthia HALL
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Megg Jensen writes an epic fantasy that has a bit of something for everyone. Tressa, the female protagonist, is an outcast in her community. She's a strong and positive role model--a protagonist that the readers will enjoy from her weak beginnings to her triumph victory. Bastian, Tressa's love interest, is a man who has his own journey. From being ruled by the village and his wife, Bastian finds the courage to break free and become the man that he is destined to be. Jensen creates all of her cha ...more
Lady
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series must be read in order. This is the first book.

Tressa has been unhappy ever since being uncoupled with Bastian. Even more unhappy when Vinya became with child by him after only a month. Now her Granna Sophia is dying and can do nothing. She was chosen with her friends Connor and Geoff to venture into the mist and try to find a way out and back... No one EVER comes back. She was dreading this death sentence but her Granna was supposed to be there to see her off! No one knows how the fo
Maghon Thomas
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this start of a new series! The world building is so full of intrigue and mystery and magic! This one will keep you glued to the pages from the start and it'll leave you wanting so much more.

So there's this big fog that surrounds the village. It's been there for so long, no one knows why it's there or how it came to be. It controls everything though. Food can't be brought in or out. People have to have their genetics traced so not to inbreed. No one gets love, you get a line breeding.

T
Myra (Pieces of Whimsy)
Review first published on my blog, Pieces of Whimsy

2.5/5

This book was very different than what I'd expected and even as I continued reading the story it kept going down paths I didn't expect. I love stories that keep me guessing but unfortunately I didn't connect with story and though it did get better later on, the start left me feeling quite detached.

There were two main characters in this story and though they weren't two-dimensional, stock-standard characters, I couldn't connect with either o
Pelin
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I cannot explain how happy I am to have been recieved this book. It was beyond my expactation. I read lots and lots of diffrent fantasy books and after a while it gets a bit dull. Nothing seems interesting or impressing but this book was awesome in one word. I was travelling when I started this book and it was over in a day.

Our story begins at Hutton's Bridge where there's mist around the town that no one can leave or enter and the last living person that was alive when the mist wasn't there is
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
I received this book as a gift from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

What happens if, at thirteen, you wake up and all the adults from your village have disappeared? What happens if you are suddenly surrounded by a thick, dense, immoveable fog? Is it there to keep you in... or others out?

This is the riddle that Sophia and the rest of the children are faced with early one morning. Then time skips on and you meet Tressa, Sophia's granddaughter. She is someone who has had to deal
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
  • Darkspire Reaches
  • Spirit Walker (Serpent Catch, #1)
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • The Camelot Papers
  • Redheart (Leland Dragon #1)
  • Sleepless (Curse of the Blood Fox, #1)
  • Seeing Red (Ambassador, #1)
  • EverFall
  • Remnant
  • New World (New World #1)
  • The Book of Deacon Anthology (The Book of Deacon, #0.5, 1-3)
  • Shadowborn (Light & Shadow, #1)
  • Shadow of the Winter King
  • Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1)
  • Empires of Moth (The Moth Saga #2)
  • An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • Blood Bonds (City of Dragons, #1)
Megg Jensen is a two-time USA Today bestselling author of epic fantasy.

No stranger to top ten lists on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the iBookstore, Megg's novels have garnered millions of downloads, attracting fans from all over the world.

She lives in Chicago with her husband, kids, and two insane miniature schnauzers.

Dragonlands (5 books)
  • Hunted (Dragonlands, #2)
  • Retribution (Dragonlands, #3)
  • Desolation (Dragonlands, #4)
  • Reckoning (Dragonlands, #5)