Start by marking “Girl on the Run” as Want to Read:
Girl on the Run

Girl on the Run

When seventeen-year-old track and field star Jesse Collins’ dreams of a full scholarship are shattered after the sudden death of her dad, she leaves home to work as a summer camp counselor to escape the small town nosy stares... and her own secret guilt.

After a mix-up at registration, she’s put in charge of a boys’ cabin, and the head counselor, Kirk, predicts she won’t
Paperback
Published September 21st 2015 by Nimbus Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Girl on the Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl on the Run

Start your review of Girl on the Run
BookWorm 221
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, arcs-2015
www.bookworm221.tumblr.com

I couldn't stop reading! I started this book at about 5pm and by 12:24am I was reading the last page, and take into consideration that I took about a 2 hour brake for dinner and a bit of tv.

This book just hit me really hard, it was so easy for me to get into Jesse's mind set, her problems, her fears and her pain, there were many similarities between us that at times I felt like I was reading my own journal.

This book centers around Jesse, she a track and field runner at
Veronica of V's Reads
4.5 Stars for this contemporary teen novel.

Jesse Collins is an exceptional runner who will not even don her track shoes since her father died three months ago. She was so devastated by his loss, in a terrifying and tragic incident for which Jesse feels guilty, that she's sworn off running. This upsets her mother, grandma, and best friend Chloe something fierce, and they are all relieved that Jesse has decided to work as a summer camp counselor, thinking that the break will give her the chance to
Fafa's Book Corner
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Carlene Inspired
Jesse had big dreams, until the death of her dad had her putting away her running shoes and putting on a fake smile to please everyone. With a lot of guilt on her chest, Jesse heads off to be a counselor at a summer camp. Fate seems to have it out for Jesse though and she's listed as a boys counselor. Determined to see the summer out, Jesse faces their pranks and the growing attraction she has for fellow counselor, Kirk, with drive, embarrassment, and a journal full of her thoughts. Along the ...more
Ida
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
“There’s no such thing as a safe bet. You might be the fastest runner in the heat, but that doesn’t mean you’re going to win the final race.”

Seventeen-year-old Jesse Collins has big dreams for the future, which include university and a track and field scholarship. As a proven track and field star, those dreams are very much within reach. However, after the sudden death of her father and the circumstances under which it occurred, Jesse gives up running and suddenly her future is not that certain.
Charity
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For full review please go to: 5girlsbookreviews.blogspot.com, Twitter @camartinez and Facebook "5 Girls Book Reviews"

REVIEW BY: Angel, age 13 years

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

This novel was fascinating and a true page-turner all at the same time. This book had me hooked from the start!

My favorite character is Jesse because she is like me in many ways! My favorite part is when she is at camp because it all sounds so fun.
Patty
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Girl on the Run by B. R. Myers is an emotional, fun, and delightful YA contemporary romance. I love this genre, even though I am far from a YA. There is something so innocent about first loves. I love the quirky people and situations in this book, and watching the characters grow over their summer at camp. I found this book to be a quick read, and recommend it to all YA romance readers, young and old.

I received this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Sarah Butland
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Myers had me fall in love with the characters immediately and I had empathy for the main character, Jesse, for many aspects of her life. A typical teenager in many ways, she was trying to reinvent herself after suffering a devastating loss doing what she loves - running.

Jesse has found the perfect friend who, too, is on a quest to find the best kisser. Her friend, Chloe, however is trying to do so much faster than Jesse wants to. At seventeen years old, Jesse had it all just a few months
Voyage
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
C'est l'histoire d'une adolescente canadienne, Jesse, nommée d'après le célèbre athlète Jesse Owens, et qui comme lui a pour passion la course à pieds. Mais depuis un triste accident, elle a abandonné. Pour se remettre du chamboulement arrivée dans sa vie, elle part animer une colonie (un "summer camp") pendant deux mois d'été, et espère que cette pause, au milieu de gens qui ne savent pas ce qui lui est arrivé, lui permettra de reprendre sa vie d'avant.

Bien que je ne comprenne pas toujours la
Josie Shinkfield
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I RECEIVED A COPY OF THIS BOOK FROM NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR MY HONEST REVIEW*

Jesse is a superstar athlete. Well, she was. But after the tragic loss of her dad she decides not to run anymore.

This summer, Jesse is a camp councillor at Camp Krystal Lake - but there is a mix up, and she has been given a cabin of boys.
Not one to back down from a challenge, Jesse is determined to make it work - which makes for some hilarious reading.

But maybe this camp is just what Jesse needs to forgive herself
Plainsboro Public Library
Jesse Collins was good at running. In fact, she was on her way of achieving a full scholarship for track and field. But all that crashes to the ground when her father suddenly dead. Instead, feeling broken and guilty, she leaves her home and works as a summer camp counselor. When she’s accidentally put in charge of a cabin full of 12-year-old boys who are intent on ruining her life, Jesse manages to keep a grip on them, all the while, finding a growing attraction towards Kirk, the head ...more
Sharon
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, young-adult
Review: 3 out of 5 stars

Our main character is seventeen year-old Jesse Collins, a girl with a proven record as a track and field star; she had high hopes of going to university on a full scholarship but everything comes to an end with the death of her beloved father; she quits running and puts all of her dreams on hold.

Jesse heads off to Kamp Krystal Lake for a breather and is mistakenly put in charge of four twelve year-old cheeky boys; it’s predicted that she won’t last a week by the head
Rebecca
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had lots of heart and laughter. Jesse is still reeling from her father's death and summer camp is the easiest way to hide from the guilt of what happened. What happens that summer was totally unexpected. Great YA read and first time for me with this author.
Saptarshi Prachi
*** I was given a review copy of this book from YA Bound Book Tours in return for my honest review ***

This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but there were definitely a few things about it that I loved. One of my favorite thing about this book was Allie. I loved her determination to keep going no matter how hard things got. I could list all the horrible things she went through and faced, but then the list would never end. No matter how challenging things got or how much humiliation she
Chandni
***I received this book from Goodreads FirstReads.***

This is a really different type of book for me. I don’t read many young adult contemporary novels because they don’t usually appeal to me. This isn’t a premise that would ordinarily interest me and I wouldn’t pick up this book on my own, but it seemed like an easy read. I won this book in a contest and since the author is Canadian and the book takes place in British Columbia, I decided to read it. Unfortunately, it didn’t surpass my
Pam
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was extremely frustrated reading through the first part of the story because a teaser on Jesse’s secret guilt kept popping but provided very little information. Then again, if it was revealed right away, it would not have been fun reading the book, right?
The story and the characters developed really well and there were many revelations that surprised me because I did not see them coming. The story itself was a fun read and there was constant action (rowdy boys — what do you expect?) so you
norcalgal
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Who talks like Jesse?! Verbal diarrhea girl who spouts whatever comes to mind, no matter how badly it reflects on her.

Completely unrealistic romance between her and Kirk. For someone who had almost zero interest in guys, it's such a complete (and much too fast) reversal to be all-in for Kirk, a guy she just met and for whom she immediately had negative feelings.

I also call BS that Lacey's actions were all in an effort to get Ben back. Just way too many contrivances to make it seem otherwise.

One
Stephanie
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I have some concerns with the message of the book. Is the message of the book that after something tragic happens you should quit everything you love and run away to find a boyfriend? (I realize toward the VERY end she has to face the truth, but it took too long to get there). I could not keep the characters straight – there were too many male semi-boyfriends. The main character was harassed at work – which is illegal – and actually got punished for it. The story is aimed at a female audience. I ...more
Lauren Wallace
"But no matter what happened at Kamp Krystal Lake, I couldn't quit. Chloe was expecting Old Jesse. I had to figure out how to pull that off by the end of the summer. This job was a chance for me to create a new life, even if that meant faking it every single second" (30)

I would like to thank Nimbus publishing for an advance copy of this book!

This is just one of those books you just can't put down from start to finish! I feel in love with the characters and I couldn't wait to see what they got
Peggy
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
**SPOILER FREE**

Pretty impressed with this book... When taking it on for a review I had mixed feelings but the author delivered. Well written with a smooth flow to the story. Lessons to be learn and obstacles to overturn... But which is what and what happen depends on you...

*Received for an honest review*
Jane Lebak
Oct 29, 2015
Tissy
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports-roms
A quick and easy read. The writing was good but it lacked any real depth especially on the supposed emotional/dramatic moments. To be honest the most enjoyable aspects were the MCs interactions with the young boys she was in charge of. The romance was meh and as predictable as the majority of the book. It's a light fluffy read - even though it wasn't trying to be.
Libby
Jan 19, 2020

• The Pretenders (The Similars, #2)
  • Divided (Setenid Blight, #2)
  • Uncontained: Setenid Blight Book Three
  • Devil's Ballast
  • The Dating Dare
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • The Revolution of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #2)
  • Ever the Brave (A Clash of Kingdoms #2)
  • Once a King (A Clash of Kingdoms, #3)
  • Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
  • The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #1)
  • The Similars (The Similars, #1)
  • False Future (False Memory, #3)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • Collide (The Taking, #3)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Hover (The Taking, #2)
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
Always in the mood for a good scare, B.R. Myers spent most of her teen years behind the covers of Lois Duncan, Ray Bradbury, and Stephen King. Her YA contemporary coming of age novel, GIRL ON THE RUN, was chosen by the Canadian Children's Book Centre as a BEST BOOK for TEENS for 2016.

When she's not putting her characters in awkward situations, she works as a registered nurse. A member of the