Start by marking “Mosquitoland” as Want to Read:
Mosquitoland

Mosquitoland

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  23,384 ratings  ·  3,578 reviews

After the sudden collapse of her family, Mim Malone is dragged from her home in northern Ohio to the "wastelands" of Mississippi, where she lives in a medi
Published March 3rd 2015 by Viking Children's

To ask other readers questions about Mosquitoland, please sign up.
Sarah The to-do about the character donning "war paint" when she's feeling vulnerable, and how she derides people who exaggerate their Native American…moreThe to-do about the character donning "war paint" when she's feeling vulnerable, and how she derides people who exaggerate their Native American heritage (admitting that she had done it herself when younger), means that there are people who haven't read the entire book and take these elements out of context for their own political agenda. Teens will relate to Mim's struggle for identity and sanity in a world where she feels lost and tossed. And there are a number of great questions that can be presented to the group, including the nature of psychology, unreliable narrators, the definition of family, feeling of entitlement, and, yes, defying stereotypes. (less)
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,377 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,466 books — 8,868 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: John Green fans
"I am a collection of oddities, a circus of neurons and electrons: my heart is the ringmaster, my soul is the trapeze artist, and the world is my audience. It sounds strange because it is, and it is, because I am strange."

Before anyone wants to tell me - yes, I know that John Green did not invent a new style of book. But he is well-known enough that he's good to use in comparisons.

So I'd say you would like this if you enjoy John Green's books, particularly TFiOS. This is the kind of book where
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5) still not sure how I feel about this one yet...
Whitney Atkinson
I really enjoyed this book for what it was-- a book about a girl going on a journey to find herself, both physically and mentally. Mim is such an interesting character because she is crazy in the most indescribable way, yet she's relatable and rational and witty and intelligent and a perfect main character. Watching her journey is addicting and you grow to love her, even though you can blatantly tell she has her flaws. I was in love with this book because the writing was incredible. It takes a l ...more
Adam Silvera
100 out of 5 stars.

I have no words right now to capture how I feel about this book, but damn, I almost cried at the end when I realized my time with these characters was over. David Arnold is The Real Deal.
Steph Sinclair
3.5 stars.

Writing reviews for contemporaries are the hardest for me, especially the ones that involve Important Topics About Life. Mosquitoland is such a novel, so if this review seems lacking, it's because of my inability to properly convey thoughts. But I'll humor you.

The running motto of Mosquitoland is "Mim is not okay," and she really isn't. She's a hot mess, if I'm being perfectly honest. The girl has had a rough life, one that many teens her age have to deal with: she's watched her famil
Eve
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books
UUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH.

What have I done to deserve this, universe? I'm a decent person! I take short showers! I preserve water! I eat healthy! I donate to charities! I floss every night!

----

Dearest David Arnold,

I understand the attractiveness of becoming the "next John Green". Writing powerful stories that touch the hearts of thousands, nay, millions of readers between the ages of honey boo boo and betty white. Your books being adapted into films, those films starring up and coming actors, those
Matthew
What a weird yet kind of wonderful little book.

It is a coming of age story dealing with broken homes and medicated minds. Of running away only to find out you are running home. Of facing a society with many dangerous perils, but where a few genuine diamonds in the rough more than make up for it.

Sometimes it felt like the book was trying to be too whatever it was trying to be, but I think the characters you meet and the experiences they have more than make up for it.

If you love YA. If you love ro
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Hey look, it's a book everyone else is rating 4 or 5 Stars. That means I'll love it, right?

Commercial Photography

I guess I missed the memo that stated orange is no longer the new black. Apparently orange has been replaced with mental illness. Mosquitoland was (unintentionally) the third book I've read in two weeks that tried to tackle the "crazy" . . .

Yeah.

However, there is one thing that seems to always earn a 5 Star rating from me:

Road Trip!!!!! I
Becky Albertalli
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to begin. This book is as weird, wonderful, and unforgettable as its title. Mim is such perfectly drawn teenager: whip-smart, hilariously observant, and almost heartbreakingly vulnerable. Her voice is irresistible, and it will be singing in your head for weeks (months? years?) after you finish this ridiculously awesome book. One of my all-time favorites.

Jeff Zentner
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If we judge the quality and success of novels by how completely they allow us to temporarily step outside ourselves and inhabit a new skin, then MOSQUITOLAND is an incredible book and a tremendous success.

I loved every minute of my time dwelling in the consciousness of Mary Iris Malone, MOSQUITOLAND's compulsively puking, half-blind, world-judging, odyssey-going, often-infuriating, wounded, vulnerable, precocious, hilariously quirky heroine. I loved learning her private vocabulary and seeing th
Taylor Knight
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It took me a little bit to get into this book but when I did, I fell in love with the characters so much. Mim was so original and different and everyone else was just as interesting. The writing style is insanely awesome and I can't wait to read more books from this author. The overall road trip aspect was fairly unrealistic but I didn't think that was a big deal. I was so engaged in the characters and I loved the story.
Overall, I loved this book. I was so sad when I finished it because I wante
Sana
Breeding with my favorite person ever on my favority favoritest website (goodreads) ever!!!

Honestly, I just laughed and cried throughout this entire book.
may ❀
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to may ❀ by: prag ♻
Full review posted:

Just trying to explain to you what mosquitoland is, is probably impossible bc the book is like someone got the letters of the alphabet and threw them in the air and just shrugged and walked away BASICALLY I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE BOOK IS

- It’s about a quirky, edgy teenage girl that is //not// okay
- Mim is honestly a collection of oddities, from her defiance of following rules to camping out with homeless boys to throwing up on demand, honestly no one knows what on earth she’s pla
Abby Johnson
Mar 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so not only did I just intensely dislike the main character (I don't think you're supposed to?), but there are some extremely problematic issues of cultural appropriation in Mim's use of "warpaint" (justified because she's "part Cherokee") and debasing of a homeless teen with Down syndrome, whom Mim and her friend actually take to a veterinarian when he gets sick and the nearest clinic is closed. It's distressing to me that so many reviews are ignoring these issues.

Aside from those proble
Daiane
Booooooooooooring zzzz
Details of how bored I was coming soon. :/
Theresa
More like 4.5 stars. "Mosquitoland" is UNCONVENTIONAL. Unlike any other young adult novel I've ever had the pleasure of reading. "I am Mary Iris Malone, and I am not okay." She might not be the most "normal" girl in the world but she's definitely the bravest. There were some minor incidents/details that irked me (like Mary's crush on Beck) but overall, I thought "Mosquitoland" was a beautifully-written coming-of-age story full of sass, wit, and unexpected warmth.
P.S. I love Walt! He's the cutes
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Overview:

In a word: quirky.

Just so, so, so quirky.

(Was there more going on? I couldn't understand it between Mim's rambling metaphors, whimsical lists and other quirks.)

Pros:

Surprisingly, I liked this writing. Independent from the story, I really love several paragraphs and sentences. Most of them are really beautiful and well-constructed metaphors. Some of my favorites:

Matthew Hernandez
I love this novel. A road trip book about a wild child girl named Mim Malone....self-discoveries, philosophical thoughts and spoken word, human observations and interactions, trails and tribulations, and realizations and revelations of oneself...embark on one unforgettable journey to Cleveland, Ohio to see ailing mother from Mosquitoland aka Mississippi.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Mar 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
I so badly wanted to love this, but I just didn't. I couldn't get into the writing style at all and I found a lot of the things that happened to be too unbelievable to enjoy. Womp womp :c
Mary Deacon
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mim Malone lives in a small city in Mississippi called Mosquitoland where nothing happens. Mim's parents are divorced with her mother living in Ohio and Mim living with her dad and stepmom. Mim is not the most outgoing person per say but knows when to do something that is right. Mim does not agree with her new stepmom and has always admired her mother who is back in Ohio. When Mim is in school, she overhears that her mother is sick. When Mim heard that she knew that she had to go back to Ohio an ...more
Dana

Whelp...that was adorable. I'm just going to go curl into a corner now and try to process my feelings. I am usually very picky about road trip novels but I did like this one. The main character is quirky without morphing into a manic pixie dream girl.

The plot was a little sparse but still enjoyable,your typical coming of age novel. I thought that the portrayal of mental illness, and the stigmas surrounding it were well portrayed. Mim's relationship with her dad was unfortunately very realistic.
Diane S ☔
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fell in love with the young MIM, who sneaks out of school after overhearing her dad and step mother talking about how ill her mother is. She is fearless, feisty, and so likable. So, this sneak peak definitely did what it was supposed to do, give is enough of the story to go out and get the book. And I will.
Whitney
This is an amazing book. So worthy of 5 stars!

Mary Iris Malone (aka Mim) is probably one of funniest narrators I've ever encountered. Her voice is HILARIOUS, I was laughing out loud for the majority of the book. That being said the humor of this book goes hand in hand with the tough situation that Mim is facing. The author created a really satisfying mix of humor and seriousness that was so realistic and also relatable.

"I am Mary Iris Malone, and I am not okay."

This book starts off with Mim l
Rebecca
I don’t read a whole lot of YA, but the voice of this one captured me right away. Like Hazel in The Fault in Our Stars, Mim (Mary Iris Malone) is a lovably sarcastic oddball – she describes herself as “a young Ellen Page” à la Juno – with some hidden issues that come out over the course of the book. Here Mim’s journey takes the form of a road trip from Mississippi, where she lives with her father and new stepmother, back to Ohio to be with her sick mother. She meets a kooky cast of secondary cha ...more
Stefani Sloma
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Mosquitoland,

Reasons are hard. Trying to put into words the reasons why I love you is hard, but I’ll try.

Reason #1: You are weird. Like, SO weird. But you’re that special kind of weird that I absolutely love. You’re unique and strange and beautiful and funny and emotional and just brilliantly weird in the best possible way.

Reason #2: David Arnold’s writing is incredible. Like, mind-blowingly incredible. I cannot believe you are his debut novel. How is that even possible? I cannot wait to se
Kai
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
As simple as it sounds, I think understanding who you are - and who you are not - is the most important thing of all Important Things.

2.5/5 stars

When I stared this book I was sure that I was going to like it. Maybe even a lot. That's true, but only for the first 100 pages. And then the author lost me completely.

The main character is an extraordinary girl. She's sassy, she's weird, she's on a mission. But - and here's one of the main reasons for the rating - she's not relatable. Mim and the whole
Elise
5 'I am not okay' stars

This book hit me hard. I could really relate to Mim and a lot of what happened to her hit quite close to home.

Her experiences and her reactions to them felt realistic to me and I appreciated that. I liked that the whole Poncho Man thing wasn't just something that happened one minute and then completely forgotten about the next. It stayed with her her. That whole plot-line was written really well, so cudos to Arnold for that, because it felt real.

So, there are people in t
Donalyn
I added a 2015 Nerdy Book Club shortlist shelf (6 weeks early) just so I could put this book on it. Mosquitoland is an incredible book because of the voice of its protagonist, Mim, who is maddening, strange, hilarious, and honest. A funny book that will make you cry. An emotionally heart wrenching book that will make you laugh. Memorable.
Renée Ahdieh
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book from an astoundingly talented writer. Look out for this one, guys. It will knock you down and drag you around. By the heart.
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
More like 4.5 but I felt weird giving it just 4 stars but a full FIVE is something I rarely hand out.

From the "Final Thoughts" section on my review:

Mosquitoland was just delightfully offbeat in the most charming of ways. Mim is a heroine wherein no adjectives can quite pin down the essence of Mim. She will test your patience but you cannot help rooting for her on her journey. And the writing?! It made me up my dog-earring game! Gut-bustingly funny at times, punches you in the gut at other times
Mim Malone 3 11 Jul 22, 2018 03:56AM
That Ending - Spoilers 2 12 Jul 21, 2018 10:33PM
  • The Alex Crow
  • Denton Little's Deathdate (Denton Little #1)
  • The Porcupine of Truth
  • The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B
  • The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen
  • None of the Above
  • Calvin
  • Trouble Is a Friend of Mine (Trouble, #1)
  • Read Between the Lines
David Arnold lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with his (lovely) wife and (boisterous) son. He is the New York Times bestselling author of Mosquitoland, Kids of Appetite, and The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik; his books have been translated into over a dozen languages. Learn more at davidarnoldbooks.com and follow him on Twitter @roofbeam and Instagram @iamdavidarnold.
“I am a collection of oddities, a circus of neurons and electrons: my heart is the ringmaster, my soul is the trapeze artist, and the world is my audience. It sounds strange because it is, and it is, because I am strange.” 169 likes
“Every great character, Iz, be it on page or screen, is multidimensional. The good guys aren't all good, the bad guys aren't all bad, and any character wholly one or the other shouldn't exist at all. Remember this when I describe the antics that follow, for though I am not a villain, I am not immune to villainy.” 99 likes