Start by marking “Wolfsangel” as Want to Read:
Wolfsangel

Wolfsangel (The Bone Angel #2)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  157 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Seven decades after German troops march into her village, Céleste Roussel is still unable to assuage her guilt.

1943. German soldiers occupy provincial Lucie-sur-Vionne, and as the villagers pursue treacherous schemes to deceive and swindle the enemy, Céleste embarks on her own perilous mission as her passion for a Reich officer flourishes.

When her loved ones are deported t
Published October 17th 2013 by Perrat Publishing (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wolfsangel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolfsangel

Brenda
The happiness that Céleste Roussel had taken for granted with her family on their farm had disappeared with the occupation of their small village of Lucie-sur-Vionne by German soldiers. Her father had been taken to a labour camp early in the occupation, so running the farm was left to Céleste, her mother and brother Patrick. He and his best friend Olivier quickly became part of the French Resistance, doing all they could to drive the Boche from their lives.

Céleste soon took the eye of a certain
Ace
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A story told through the eyes of a young 20 year old french village girl, Celeste, during the second world war. Times are tough in the village and across France and Europe, including in Germany, but the Germans have occupied France and in this village the resistance movement is well underway recruiting Celeste into their ranks.

This story highlights a horrendous massacre in French history and stands as a reminder that we should learn from our history and avoid war at all costs.
Michael Schmicker
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it

Brown-nosing the Nazis (Book Review)

Before I swiped the first page of Liza Perrat’s captivating novel of Occupied France, I already knew I would enjoy it.

“Wolfsangel” is in my wheelhouse.

I’m fascinated with World War II, familiar with the sordid story of French Marshal Petain and his puppet Vichy government’s collaboration with the Nazis, and lived two months in the Rhone-Alpes region of France where Perrat sets her colorful roman-a-clef.

In 1967, I was an American college student determined t
Elaine
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of this book from the author herself, which I have to admit put a bit of pressure on me as I was worried I wouldn't like it enough or do the book and Liza justice in my review. I needn't have worried. Liza Perrat has written an incredible novel about a small village in France occupied by the Germans during WWII. According to the author this book was inspired by true events. Ms. Perrat holds nothing back in this moving and heartbreaking story. She doesn't t ...more
Terry Tyler
This is the second of the Liza Perrat's Bone Angel trilogy to be written, but the latest in historical period; it takes place during the Nazi occupation of the village of Lucie-sur-Vionne in World War Two. I think it's the best of the three.

The trilogy's theme of medicine woman and herbalist continues in the form of the mother of twenty-year-old Celeste, the main character. At the outset of the book, Celeste is dealing with the occupation of Lucie with the same quiet fear and anger as the other
Zoe Saadia
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read "Wolfsangel" in only a few sittings, as this novel was very difficult to put down. Besides the wonderful writing, depicting lifelike, very likable, characters that I came to sympathize with from the first pages, I found its theme extremely refreshing. I love unusual historical settings and France of the WW2 period is not a setting one meets too frequently (not to my knowledge). It may serve as the background for the other WW2 stories (the Germans washing over Europe in the beginning of th ...more
Mirella
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Admidst the death and destruction of World War II, the tiny village of Lucie-sur-Vionne, finds itself occupied by the German army. They have pillaged, seized, or requisitioned homes, farms, animals, and food. Celeste's family is adversely affected when her father is sent to a work camp. When she stumbles upon a Jewish family, she hides them in her home. Bit by bit, she is drawn in by the secretive French Resistance, and handsome young German officer who falls in love with her. But in a world whe ...more
Jacqueline
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wolfsangel is the second book in the L’Auberge des Anges series although I read it without having read book one, Spirit of Lost Angels set during the French Revolution. Liza is currently working on the third book.

This is a page turning, passionate historical novel set amidst the hardship and secrecy of a village in German occupied France.

Céleste Roussel has to grow up fast. Her father has left to work in the German camps on the promise of wages to be sent home – money the family never receive. H
Patricia Sands
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We first meet Celeste at the age of 89, still tormented by memories of the unspeakable horrors of the German occupation almost seven decades earlier. In the second chapter, we are transported to 1943 and, with her powerful story-telling skills, Liza Perrat takes us on the young Celeste’s journey as we experience life in her village and the fateful choices she makes as her young life is ripped apart by war.

Deftly crafted, with twists and turns leading to an unexpected ending that cannot fail to i
Kathy
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loving these Liza Perrat books that I decided to start my 2018 year off with. Wolfsangel is the second book in the L’Auberge des Anges series but in saying that you do not have to have read the first book as it does not follow on. It is just set in the same village as The Spirit of Lost Angel’s with a few reminders of past events. The first historical novel was set in the French Revolution – this one set in WWII when Germany occupied France. Celeste Roussel is a fabulous character as ...more
Chris Curran
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Occupied France in WW2 has understandably proved fertile ground for novelists and film makers. We’ve come to expect tales of SOE agents parachuting in with fake identities to mastermind dramatic acts of sabotage, while radio operators dash from hideout to safe house on the run from the Nazis.

Wolfsangel is something rather different: yes it is exciting and there is drama aplenty. Characters face enormous dangers and are forced to come to terms with tragedy and to witness and experience terrible
Bookworm
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wolfsangel by Liza Perrat is the second in the L'Auberge Des Anges historical series but can be read as a stand alone novel. The novel starts off with nineteen year old Céleste Roussel living in Lucie-sur-Vionne during the German occupation in the 1940's. Céleste lives with her mother and her brother. Her sister is a nun who lives in a convent and her father has been taken to work for the Germans.

The writing is rich and descriptive and I felt transported as I read. Liza Perrat does a fantastic j
Ana

*Copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review*

WOW! Now this is what I call a powerful book! And not only that, it's probably one of the best historical books I've ever read (right next to Pope Joan and Mistress of Rome).

This book is BEAUTIFUL! It's the sequel to Spirit of Lost Angels and gosh, I loved that book so much( read my review here). To be completely frank, though my expectations were high (since I was already familiar with Liza's writing style) I totally didn't expect THIS!
Gaele
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of many stories that I have read that explore WWII and the occupation from the perspective of those who were there. Liza Perrat has written from the perspective of Celeste, a young French woman who lives with her family in a small village. Her brother, a truism for many families of the time, worked with the Resistance, although he won’t share information with her or tell her how she can be involved as he is trying to protect her. Also, not an uncommon hurdle for women of that day to ...more
Jo Barton
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wolfsangel is the second book in the L’Auberge des Anges trilogy and opens as elderly Celeste Roussel commemorates a tragedy which happened in the French village of Lucie-sur-Vionne some 68 years earlier. This emotional opening chapter sets the scene for a powerful and dramatic story, which takes the reader back to 1943, and to a dark time in France’s history, when the German occupation of this tiny French village had a profound effect on those who lived and worked under the shadow of cruelty an ...more
Vanessa Couchman
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-ii
I should mention upfront that the author sent me a copy of the ebook version of this novel. In that case, one is always afraid of not liking the book. However, I’m very pleased to say that my reaction was quite the opposite and I very much enjoyed Wolfsangel.

World War II is a happy hunting ground for authors and I have to declare an interest, since I am working on a WWII novel of my own. I was, therefore, particularly interested to see how Liza Perrat approached the subject of living under forei
Maryline M's Bookshelf
Expectations were high for "Wolfsangel" after reading the brilliant "Spirit of Lost Angels", but Liza Perrat met all of them and more. Her wonderful storytelling catapults you back in time. The Second World War is still very present in our collective memories: monuments, memorials, tributes,... but "Wolfsangel" takes you to the people and the villages beyond the front, away from the trenches and into the lives of people living in occupied France.
Because of the synopsis and the prologue, I couldn
Valerie
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. I have no hesitation in recommending this novel set in WW2 in occupied France. The author has well researched the time and place and worked her novel around some historical events. She well describes the life in the village and the tensions created by the German occupation. The relationships between the characters evolved throughout the course of the book, with the underlying tragic events, and this book provided me with ...more
Naomi Blackburn
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Blog review in progress.

+ I didn't think Ms. Perrat could out do herself after Spirit of Lost Angelsyet she has.

+Wolfsangel is a dynamic stunner that moves FAST. The characters are incredibly developed with a storyline that is beyond engrossing. She does a fantastic job of making the reader feel that they watching the story from a window. I love when an author is able to accomplish this.

+I had to force myself to put it down due to other reviews needing to be done.

+ I can't wait for the next in
Eileen
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in a small village in France during WWII, Wolfsangel captures beautifully the tenor of the times. The frustrated townspeople watch helplessly as their homes, food and livestock are requisitioned by the occupying Germans. Neighbors and loved ones are seized and sent off to work camps or worse. The protagonist Celeste looks on enviously as her brother and friends carry out missions of sabotage in their work for the Resistance. Plans that go awry result in imprisonment, followed by heroic measu ...more
Maria
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour in exchange for a fair and honest review.

A story about a woman’s journey to self discovery during a time of war, Wolfsangel by Liza Perrat, is a gripping tale based on real events. Showcasing both the highs and lows of human character, Ms. Perrat’s book is filled with well developed characters, plenty of action and heartfelt emotions. Set mostly in a small town in the French countryside, Wolfsangel is a book I won’t soon forge
Lindsay
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
'I glance across at my granddaughter, who wears the bone angel necklace these days. She's gripping the pendant between her thumb and forefinger as I used to; as countless kinswomen of L'Auberge des Anges did before us. I touch the spot where it once lay against my own breast, feeling its warmth as if I were still wearing the little sculpture.
I wonder again if my daughter and granddaughter truly understand what that heirloom endured with me through those years of the occupation...'

I really enjoye
LindyLouMac
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted to obtain a copy of Liza Perrat's second novel as I thoroughly enjoyed her début novel Spirit of Lost Angels and as soon as I finished it, was already looking forward to the next in the series. Although written as part of a planned series entitled 'L'Auberge des Anges' featuring the 'Angel Talisman' this can still be read as a stand alone novel. However I highly recommend you read both as this second novel met my expectations and once again I am left looking forward to the next o ...more
Alison
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The disruption of normal life and the sheer presence of tight control, almost imprisonment in your own life, is shocking to us in Western countries today. Liza Perrat’s story of the German occupation of a small French village in1943 gives us an uncomfortable taste of this.

Perrat draws the village characters deftly and highlights the high level of resourcefulness, inner strength, and sometimes lies, that were essential if you were to survive.

It was a tension-loaded read. We know from education an
I was pleasantly surprised to find this was a semi-novelization of the Oradour-sur-Glane massacre in France. It's such an important historical event that I've never seen before in fiction. The author does a fantastic job in capturing the horror of that event, giving us an array of possible reasons for it, and just creating this world of oppression in Nazi-occupied France. My knuckles went white more than once while holding my Kindle and devouring this novel.

I really enjoyed the main character's
T.B. Markinson
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Céleste is a young French woman living in a small village in France during World War II. German soldiers are living in the village and most of the French residents are not happy with the occupation. Céleste’s brother is a member of the French resistance. Céleste wants to join the cause, however, her brother won’t let her in an effort to keep her safe. However, when her brother is arrested, she feels that she has to join the resistance to help him escape.

You would think this is enough stress for
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Wolfsangel" is a historical fiction tale set in France during World War II in a small town called Lucie-sur-Vionne. This book is the second in a series about one family filled with incredibly strong females who have passed a bone angel talisman through many generations. Although "Wolfsangel" is the second book in this series, you can most definitely read this book without reading the first book, which takes place during the French Revolution.

Now I absolutely loved the first book in this series,
Gwenda
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read and loved Liza Perrat's novel, The Spirit of Lost Angels, and have waited impatiently for the second of the trilogy. I did not think she could better the first book, but this is simply brilliant. It is so beautifully written and full of tension that one cannot put it down. And when finished reading you feel at a loss because you want more! We now have to wait for the third in the series!
Set in German occupied France in WWII, Liza Perrat's historical fiction gives the real sense of how dif
Tracy Terry
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having had the honour of reading and reviewing Spirit of Lost Angels last year it was a privilege to receive a copy of Wolfangel, the second book in the L'Auberge des Anges series.

A series revolving around an angel talisman passed down through the generations by the women of the Inn of Angels. Though this has all of the qualities that made Spirit of Lost Angels such a good read it is a quite different novel in that it sees the now occupied village of Lucie-sur-Vionne a hotbed of resistance durin
Blodeuedd Finland
This is actually the second book read about Lucie-sur-Vionne in a year. And again it makes me wonder, why did they do it? Why? That whole village, everyone...

This is the story of Celeste. Her family has lived in the village for ages, and there are books about well at least 2 ancestors that I can think of. The women in her family are healers, but Celeste does not care for that.

And we get to see daily life, the daily life if an occupied village where Germans threaten and bully. And where the resis
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Unravelled: Two Wars. Two Affairs. One Marriage.
  • Saying Goodbye to Warsaw
  • The Last Innocent Hour
  • Against the Wind (Zion Diaries, #2)
  • Taking a Chance
  • Like Birds In Black and White
  • Barbara's War
  • Raw Material
  • Anna's Bear: 5 Days of Moral Conflict And Pursuit, Nazi Germany, 1939
Liza grew up in Wollongong, Australia, where she worked as a general nurse and midwife for fifteen years.
When she met her French husband on a Bangkok bus, she moved to France, where she has been living with her family for twenty years. She works part-time as a French-English medical translator, and as a novelist.
Since completing a creative writing course ten years ago, several of her short stories
More about Liza Perrat

The Bone Angel (3 books)
  • Spirit of Lost Angels (The Bone Angel #1)
  • Blood Rose Angel