Start by marking “Dragonfly Warrior (The Mechanica Wars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragonfly Warrior (The Mechanica Wars, #1)

Dragonfly Warrior

(The Mechanica Wars #1)

The Mechanica Wars: Savage Machines Are Afoot...

At the age of twenty, Kanze Zenjiro's bloody footprints mark the bodies of those who stood in his way to protect the throne of Nihon. Now, the tyrannical Iberian Empire is bent on destroying his kingdom, and they send their steam-powered giants and iron spiders against him.

Zen embarks on a quest that takes him on the most
Published January 6th 2014 by 4 Wing Press (first published December 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonfly Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonfly Warrior

Start your review of Dragonfly Warrior (The Mechanica Wars, #1)
Terence
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
The Nation of Nihon is preparing itself for war with the Iberian Empire. The Iberians have advanced weaponry that few could hope to match. In order to survive, Nihon is attempting to unify the feuding states on its continent. King Hideaki sends his son, the warrior Prince Zenjiro, on a quest to find a legendary blade that's key to uniting the remaining states in rebellion.

Dragonfly Warrior was a mixed bag. The story was solid as Zen enters the world and immediately started doing good deeds that
Rusty
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prose, fantasy
Hmmm... well, I'm not sure how to talk about this book. First, I suppose, is that I read this as a physical copy. Not an e-version. I think that is significant because it was a beautiful book. Yes, we've all seen the cover, but the layout of the book itself was a thing of art. This was put together with care. It made an impression on me right from the moment I opened the package and held it in my hands.

The choice of font, of the graphic that heads the chapters, the scene breaks... they all have
Jenna Howard
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
I'm not a fan of Steampunk. I don't get it. And the last time I read anything with a Samurai was when I read a Ninjago book to my nephews...so to say I'm the target audience would be...not correct.

However....

This book was freakin' amazing. Between the plot which was always go-go-go-go and the characters, this was an impressive first book from debut author Jay Noel. Even in the breather moments between action scenes (and boy howdy does this book have action) I was never really able to catch my
edifanob
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books, 2014-reads
I read the book in just two sessions.
After reading the first six chapters I thought by myself that the story was not bad but predictable. Fortunately that was not true. The introduction of new characters during Zen's travel heaved the story to another level.

Well done Jay Noel. I look forward to the next book in the Mechanica series.
Tyrean
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Excellently written, character-driven, tightly woven prose with perfect plot pacing. I want to read the next book now! I'm serious. Jay Noel is an extremely accomplished writer.
Madeleine Holly-Rosing
I love reading novels set in different times and places which is probably why Im such a huge fan of steampunk, science fiction and fantasy. DRAGONFLY WARRIOR, Jay Noels first novel from 4 Wing Press, is a solid and enjoyable story set in an alternate steampunk Asia.

Prince Kanze Zenjiro a/k/a Zen has become an exceptional warrior at a very young age. The son of Lord Hideaki, he was raised with privileges reserved for royalty yet will not hesitate to risk his own life to defend his brother
Michael Offutt
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent, well-written, error free, and served as my first introduction into a fully realized world of steampunk awesomeness infused with Japanese flavor. Though most of the book is told from the perspective of the main character, Zen, we also get to know a great many other characters who are extremely important to the story: Enapay, Neva, and Neva's son Marcel "Machine Boy" Bouvier.

Marcel in many ways drives the actions of this story as he's got a supernatural ability to be able
Rubin Carpenter
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A true original a fast paced action adventure
Not what I expected at all very well done have not gotten this involved with a story in quite awhile this was a great read !
Stuart Thaman
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am a big steampunk fan. I really hate British-theme steampunk, which is almost everything out there, so this book rocked. The cover is amazing and the writing is nearly flawless. Noel proves his skill with this fast-paced steampunk adventure of epic proportions. A great read!
Melissa
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is first steampunk novel I've read and it was great. It went way beyond my expectations. I related to the characters and the story was interesting. I will continue the series.
LadyDamonayde
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun foray into alternative universe steampunk.
Patrick
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A caveat here: this is the first steampunk book I've read. I'm not a fan of the genre by any stretch. I guess my main problem is it relies so much on hindsight, people taking stuff we have now and reverse engineering it to 19th Century technology. I tend to think if they could have made a giant walking spider back then someone probably would have.

My point then is I was prepared not to like this book, but I did. Since I haven't read any steampunk before what it actually reminded me of is Star
Lili
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazon has this wonderful way of luring in book addicts by offering free e-books...most of them being the first book in a series. I periodically browse the free books and pick up ones that look interesting, and so I picked this one up on a whim. Oh man, I am so glad I did too!

This is probably going to be listed as the best novel I have read this year, still got the rest of December, but wow, this book left an impression. The setting is steampunk, but not. Instead of the usual Victorian
Christine Rains
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Iberian Empire is slowly making its way across the land, mercilessly defeating one country after another, and Zen's beloved home is in their path. Kanze Zenjiro is the Dragonfly Warrior, his people's best Samurai and prince to the throne. To help win his kingdom allies, Zen goes on a quest to find the mystical Sky Blade. His journey takes him to a wild land that could destroy this young and honorable warrior. Zen believes Fate will direct him to the right path, but does he have enough faith ...more
Eve Gaal
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once the main character, Prince Kanze Zenjiro utters, I accept this Sacred Quest, the reader travels on an amazing voyage traversing across continents into heavily guarded cities by airship, locomobile or submersible. Drawn deep into pirated oceans and dusty deserts youll be mesmerized as you follow Zen in his quest for The Sky Blade that will unite his nation with other nations against the threat of the Iberian Empire. Fortunately, he has purity, a belief in fate and a magical talisman called ...more
Tara
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Dragonfly Warrior combines ancient ninja warriors and steampunk inventions in a creative, distinct, epic fantasy adventure that was hard to put down. This well-written historic-type fantasy transported me back to the honorable China dynasty ages, where deceit can creep in and seemingly normal objects can guide to hidden magical relics. The characters have heart and determination, good or bad, they fight for what they want. And Zen, the brave and often underestimated Prince will wrap you ...more
Jay
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dragonfly Warrior is now only 99 CENTS for a limited time. Now is the time to get my steampunk adventure at this low price.

Amazon

Barnes & Noble
Joe
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Was a good book ideal for kids or young teens, but not a bad read for an adult.
Kim
Apr 20, 2016
Scott Schmidt
Jun 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
USA Today Bestselling Author...Jay Noel studied to become an English teacher, but it didn't work out. Medical sales ninja by day, writer by night, Jay is determined to do it all...AND keep his sanity.

The Mechanica Wars (3 books)
  • Shadow Warrior (The Mechanica Wars, #2)
  • Iron Warrior (The Mechanica Wars Book 3)