Start by marking “Finding Mother” as Want to Read:
Finding Mother

Finding Mother

(The Guernsey Novels #2)

Prepare to be swept away by a heart-warming tale of family relationships and love
Three women. Three generations. Sacrifices for love…
Who is she really? Nicole is about to find out as she searches for her real mother; the woman who gave her away at birth. With her marriage in tatters, she sets out from England: travelling to Spain, Jersey and Guernsey before the extraordi
Published October 21st 2013 by Sarnia Press (first published October 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Mother

Start your review of Finding Mother
Jody
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicole Oxford was adopted as a baby and brought up by her two loving parents on the island of Jersey. She is now happily married, has a great job, and a lovely home on the mainland of England. However, when Nicole unexpectedly discovers that her husband Tom has been unfaithful to her, her world comes crashing down. Feeling the need to get out of England, Nicole travels to her parents in Spain for a much-needed holiday and she finds herself starting to wonder about her roots, her biological famil ...more
Helen Baggott
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
You can't beat a bit of romance mixed with some family intrigue - and that's exactly what Anne Allen's cooked up with Finding Mother.

There's a beautiful balance between the idyllic setting of the Channel Islands and a story that reflects on three generations of a family.

Anne writes with a keen eye for detail - it's clear she has a passion for the location. I found myself swept along with Nicole, the main character, as she explored and rediscovered her childhood home. Although it's not a direct s
Elizabeth
Jéssica
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I could say that a lot of things intrigued me in this book. I don't want to spoil anything, so if you want to talk about the book, message me and we can go into specifics.

This book follows Nicole as she goes looking for her biological mother. Yes, she was adopted by a wonderful couple that loves her very much, but after she discovered her husband betrayal, she goes on a journey to find some answers and to finally meet her birth mother, and discover and understand her family roots.

As the book kee
Joyce
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was easy caught reading the first book of Anne Allen's Guernsey seties; quickly began Finding Mother. Though, immediately wondered reading the first few pages where was the connection to the isles in the Channel. Took a few chapters to get there.

Overall a good Mother/Daughter; make those plural Mothers/Daughters stories. Somewhat predictable, though still nice stories and easy-reading.
Jess Bickerton
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I was attracted to the cover of Finding Mother when I was first sent the request to join the book tour. It inspires intrigue about who the woman on the cover is and the setting is so beautiful you want to read the book to find out where she is.

Finding Mother follows the story of Nicole Oxford; adopted by two incredibly loving and caring parents, and having grown up to become a strong woman who has a great job and husband. Or so she thinks! When Nicole discovers that her husband has been unfaithf
Anne
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Successful TV journalist Nicole seems to have it all, from the outside her marriage to Tom appears to be perfect. They are both doing well in their careers, their house is beautiful, they have the world at their feet. When Nicole discovers evidence that Tom has cheated on her yet again she makes a decision that will alter her life.

Nicole tells Tom that their marriage is finally over, she can't take any more of his cheating and his lies. She flees to Spain to visit her parents in their retirement
Karen
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was the first of Anne’s books that I had read (although I do have Dangerous Waters on my bookshelf waiting its turn patiently) and I found it a very enjoyable story.

It seems that Nicole Oxford has it all. A successful TV career, a handsome husband and a beautiful house; however a discovery about her husband leaves her life in shreds. She has always known that she was adopted and decides that now is the time to try and find her birth mother and to find out who she really is and where her ro
Jo Barton
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nicole’s escape from her philandering husband takes her into a quest to find her roots. Adopted as a baby by a loving and devoted couple, and brought up on the island of Jersey, Nicole has always felt loved and cherished, but her longing to find out more about her birth mother leads her first to her adoptive parents in Spain and then to the island of Guernsey, and into a treasure trove of long buried secrets.

Finding Mother is the second in the series of Guernsey Novels, and as we have come to ex
Joan
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brought up by her lovely, caring, adoptive parents on the island of Jersey, in her adult life Nicole has built herself a wonderful life with a caring husband, a fabulous home and a `to die for' job.

However her world starts crumbling when she discovers her husband has been unfaithful to her. They separate and Nicole sets off to visit her parents in their villa in Spain with a heavy heart. There she breaks the news that she would like to find out more about her roots. Mindful of the hurt this may
Lindsay Townsend
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Holiday Read

'Finding Mother' is a sensitive, heart-felt novel about families, identity, adoption, family relationships, second chances at love, forgiveness, reconciliation, new love and choices, especially the often difficult choices women have to make in families and in relationships. Written in a flowing, vivid style, the story sweeps from Bristol to Guernsey, with that beautiful island and the island of Herm revealed in an intimate, natural way - I felt to be travelling around these
Pat
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it

This story is Ms. Allen's second novel centered around Guernsey. A place, after reading these novels, I would really enjoy visiting.
Nicole Oxford has just left her cheating husband, took a leave from her career, and is looking for what is next in her life. She realizes as an adopted child, she really needs to know more about her past, before she can face her future. Her journey takes her to Spain to visit her parents where they have retired, and she hopes to make them realize how important they
Rabid Readers Reviews
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anne Allen has a talent. She is an author who writes a story seamlessly melting past and present together with a sense of real lives lived. In “Finding Mother,” Allen plays on the idea that we all have things we might have changed given the chance.

One of my favorite things about Allen’s writing is the care with which she writes her characters. We’re able to feel softness for each of them because no one is purely good or purely bad. The characters are simply real. Allen writes real people trying
Jane
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Finding Mother by Anne Allen

5 Stars

Finding Mother is a touching and emotional drama about Nicole and her search for her birth mother. After discovering her husband has been unfaithful she wants to end the marriage but finally agrees on a trial separation. Once her contract is up at work she decides to get away and go back to Guernsey to search for her biological mother.

I really felt for Nicole’s adoptive parents in this book, I could totally understand how they would feel insecure once she annou
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
Before I go any further I have to say without a doubt that I absolutely loved this book. I was taken in from the very first page and I just could not put it down as I was curious to find out the answers to the following questions:
1. How Nicole's relationship with her husband Tom was going to end up?
2. How meeting and getting to know her biological parents would help her to really understand herself?
3. What effect would her meeting and knowing her biological parents have on her relationship with
Bodicia
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anne Allen tells a heart warming and very readable tale of Nicole who feels the need to seek her birth mother after her husband’s cheating leaves her at an emotional loss and with the need to find out where she came from. This is such a lovely generational story. I loved Eve, Nicole’s newly discovered Grandmother, whose humour made me laugh out loud. I found myself having the odd sniffle too as Eve shared her memories of a love lost.

I particularly enjoyed the setting of the story in the Channel
Julie
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book by Anne Allen although I didn’t realize this initially as it easily stands alone. Having read this book I am now determined to read the first one as I found it excellent.
The story of three generations, it deals with the subject of adoption as Anne tries to trace her birth mother. It is such a sensitive story dealing not only with her journey but the effects on her adoptive parents as well as the relationship with her new family.
It also looks at the chance of romance secon
Elizabeth Bailey
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a really enjoyable feel-good story. Such a pleasure to read something that is not saturated with misery and horrid happenings. Of course there are moments where Nicole's journey is threatened, and there are ups and downs in mood. But that's what makes it so true to life. You feel that Nicole and her two families are real people with recognizable dreams and troubles, just like the rest of us.

Anne's lyrical descriptions give a wonderful sense of place, making it easy to mock up the pictur
Two Nerds With Words
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicole is a woman in her thirties whose husband has proven unfaithful…again. She knows she is adopted and decides that this is the time to find out who she really is and what she wants out of her life. So she finds her birth mother and her journey begins.

This is an absolutely lovely story about family, adoption and secrets and how they’re passed down from generation to generation. This story made me cry and made me wistful. It also made me smile and feel hope. I am not very good at geography, b
Margaret Madden
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
A lovely warm read, light and full of fantastic descriptions of the Channel Islands. The story moves along nicely and the reader is drawn into the worlds of Nicole, her birth mother and grandmother. I really enjoyed the description of the house in Guernsey, it's quirkiness and could imagine sitting on the terrace enjoying a glass of wine, while admiring the garden and views. Actually, in almost every chapter, the characters are enjoying wine......Maybe I should up sticks and move to Guernsey!
I w
Victoria Brinius
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finding Mother by Anne Allen is a book that shows the reader how important family is. Nicole is about to embark on an exciting and wonderful journey to find herself. She has always known that she was adopted and now seemed like the perfect time to look for her first parents. Her journey to find herself results in changing other people's lives forever. This story is about generations of women who show how strong they really are. I give this book a 4/5. I was given this book for the purpose of a r ...more
Gillian Jackson
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another lovely story from Anne Allen set on the enchanting island of Guernsey. It tackles the difficult issue of an adoptive child seeking her birth parents and looks at the issue from all angles and in a sensitive way. The gentle love story is delightful and the setting evocative. I really enjoyed this book!
Robin
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've read from this author and must say she is fast becoming one of my favorites. The characters seem so real. This story is about a young lady who finds out her husband cheated on her. She decides its time to leave him. She starts her journey to finding her birth mother and discovers so much more.
Louise
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful storyline which was written with senstivity and made you really feel the emotions which the characters were feeling. It kept me feeling the need to read on so that I knew what happened next. The story flowed well and kept your attention well.
Penny Bolton
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Anne Allen's writing style. Any story that takes place n the island of Guernsey draws my attention and she does not disappoint. I like the way she brings in characters from her previous book "Dangerous Waters."
Rachel Bustin
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time reading one of Anne Allen’s books. I have never been to Guernsey so that was one of the reasons I wanted to give one of her books a go. I have always fancied the idea of island living so getting stuck into Finding Mother was perfect for me.

When the main character Nicole’s marriage falls to pieces, she decides now is the time to find her real mother. Nicole had it all, the house, marriage and a glittering TV career until her husband Tom cheated on her. Nicole leaves him back
Sheila
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicole was adopted as a baby and grew up on Jersey. She has married and moved to England but after she discovers her husband, Tom has had yet another affair, she decides she has had enough and tells him she wants a divorce. She travels to France to stay with her parents in their summer home while she figures out what to do with her life. She tells them she wants to find her birth mother. Her mother gives her the background they had that led to the adoption.

When Nicole finds her birth mother, in
Cheryl Schenk
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have fallen in love with the idea of Guernsy. This is the 3rd book in this series that I’ve read so far. I find these novels enjoyable, relaxing, and an easy read. Sometimes that’s just what a person requires at the end of a busy day. I know that Anne Allen will lure me back to Guernsey in future.
Carol Randall
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book for the Guernsey setting - real places, shops and hotels named - I could visualise it absolutely. However I found the plot a little predictable with conflicts resolved so easily! I know I will continue to read this series and imagine myself in Guernsey.
Wendy
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicole decides to find her birth mother with the support of her parents. She finds her in Guernsey and moves there to be close to her and her grandmother. She falls in love with the doctor, finds her birth father and they all live happily ever after.
Free Books, .99, ...: .99 Countdown deal 1 2 Oct 19, 2017 08:17AM
Free Books, .99, ...: Romance, family drama, 2 4 Aug 25, 2016 09:59AM

• The Oceans Between Us
  • Her Last Promise
  • Jackie and Maria: A Novel of Jackie Kennedy & Maria Callas
  • Find Me at Willoughby Close (Willoughby Close, #3)
  • True to Me (By the Sea)
  • His Perfect Lies
  • Chasing Rabbits
  • Love
  • The Scandal at Bletchley (Hilary Manningham-Butler, #1)
  • The Darkening Hour
  • Red Clover
  • The Last Letter from Juliet
  • Sworn Secret
  • The Cowboy Wins a Bride (The Cowboys of Chance Creek, #2)
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • The Language of Sycamores (Tending Roses #3)
  • Love is a Rebellious Bird
  • The Last Train to London
Anne Allen lives in Devon, by her beloved sea. She has three children and her daughter and two grandchildren live nearby. She was born in Rugby, to an English mother and Welsh father. As a result she spent many summers with her Welsh grandparents in Anglesey and learnt to love the sea. Her restless spirit has meant a number of moves which included Spain for a couple of years. The longest stay was ...more

The Guernsey Novels (7 books)
  • Dangerous Waters (The Guernsey Novels, #1)
  • Guernsey Retreat (The Guernsey Novels, #3)
  • The Family Divided (The Guernsey Novels, #4)
  • Echoes of Time (The Guernsey Novels Book 5)
  • The Betrayal (The Guernsey Novels Book 6)
  • The Inheritance (The Guernsey Novels Book 7)