Start by marking “The Kid Who Climbed the Tarzan Tree” as Want to Read:
The Kid Who Climbed the Tarzan Tree

The Kid Who Climbed the Tarzan Tree

It's 1944. A little boy and his sister find themselves the wards of strangers in a cavernous children's home. Their mother assures them that their stay will be but a few months. Nearly six years later what they thought was to be a "stay" ends with their placement in a foster home. While this sounds like a chapter written by Charles Dickens in one of his darker moods, it is ...more
Published October 2013 by Little Creek Press

To ask other readers questions about The Kid Who Climbed the Tarzan Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kid Who Climbed the Tarzan Tree

Arlene
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story of only one hundred pages leaves us longing for more details about this author's six years in an orphanage. As a reader, it is difficult to decide which is more unique -- the author's childhood experiences or the impressively progressive orphanage that was his home for six years. This orphanage's methodology should have served as the model for the public and private elementary schools across the country. The proof of its success can be seen in this author's lifetime accomplishments.
Lucy Grimm
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure to meet D.W. Rozelle, and decided I had to read his book!
This story reminded me of the golden years of my own childhood adventures. Today, this 1872 Taylor Orphan Asylum Home would have been an historical landmark. I was sad to hear it was demolished. It would’ve been fun to climb the Tarzan tree. Thanks! D. W. Rozelle for giving us a brief glimpse into your life in the Home. I enjoyed reading this book of memories with its wonderful illustrations by C. A. Grooms.
Kimberly Yoghourtjian
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This is an interesting look inside the Taylor Orphanage by a boy who lived there. It is not only a story of his life and that of his sister's, but a story about the orphanage itself.

I live in Racine where the Taylor Ave. Orphanage was located. The orphanage has touched a very, very small part of my life because I went to Mitchell Elementary School where the children from the orphanage also attended in the 1960s.

It was a beautiful, old orphanage in the gothic style that could look a bit intimidat
Julie Johnson
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
This little book is a big read. Each story will either have you crying or laughing. It is a healing balm too. David takes us through his childhood in a foster group home back in the 1940s. And what will surprise you is how he and the other children cherished this place and time. He will take you up the Tarzan Tree with him and you won't want to come down. I recommend this book for a good winter read (and a great holiday gift).
Bexa
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
While this could have used a few more edits before being published, this is an interesting book about the life of a child at the Taylor Children's Home in Racine, WI. Filled with short stories about events in his life, and a brief history of the Home and of Racine area, it provides a different look at orphanages and how they were not scary terrifying things that are often portrayed in media. Fun illustrations and a happy ending made this a quick and enjoyable read.
Monique
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
For the most part, these are uplifting memories of life in an orphanage which I assume is rather unusual, but then, this orphanage that was in Racine, Wisconsin seems like a rather unusual orphanage and I'd like to know more about it. For the author, the time at "the Home" was better for him than the periods when he was with his mother, so "the Home" was very much a sanctuary. The illustrations in the book are by an acquaintance which added to the interest for me.
Alicia Gasser
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is literally my backyard....literally, my backyard is the Taylor Homes. What an amazing story---great writer, quick read & I would really like to meet the author.

Thank you for sharing your childhood. It was a great story---amazing that it happened so close to home. I have shared it with others that know Racine well.
A. Freeman