Start by marking “ATLAS (Atlas #1)” as Want to Read:
ATLAS (Atlas #1)

ATLAS

(Atlas #1)

Rade Galaal enrolls in the hardest military training known to man to become a member of the MOTHs, the most elite fighting unit in the galaxy. MOTHs are tacticians, corpsmen, snipers, astronauts and commandos rolled into one. They also happen to pilot the atomic-powered ATLAS mechs, specialized military hardware that brings new meaning to the phrase "one-man-army."

When Sp
ebook
Published December 28th 2013 (first published December 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about ATLAS, please sign up.

Kayla Eklund
*NOTE: This is my husband, Seth's, review as he is helping me with my giant review tbr*

4.5 Stars.

Hello again one and all. I have once again read a book for my lovely wife, and as such I am happy to give a review for said book. The one in question for today is a series rather than a single book. It is the Atlas series by Isaac Hooke. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this series. I’m pretty sure it was the reason I didn’t sleep for several days in a row. The story starts out small, following R
Michael
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
TL;DR:
In a nutshell it's a modern version of Starship Troopers minus the political commentary and plus a healthy dose of military camaraderie. It doesn't break any particularly new ground in the genre, the writing is a bit rough in places, and there are a number of inconsistencies and holes throughout the plot, but it's overall an enjoyable read with comfortable characters and a consistently engaging story.

Full Review:
I picked up ATLAS this morning and finished it in a single sitting. The first
Dave Chesson
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
At first, the author spent too much time in the "now" discussing the characters progress in BUDs. However, once he joined the team and went on missions, the booked picked up pretty quickly and finally felt more like a good military sci fi book. The author is no Scalzi or Scott Card, but he tells a good story.
Jim
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Isaac Hooke is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. I’ve already read and reviewed three of his “A Captain’s Crucible Series” and now I’m heading towards reading everyone of this “Atlas Series”. This one is kind of an introduction to the main character, Rade Galaal, and his journey to become a MOTH. You would be familiar with that term if you had read the “A Captain’s Crucible Series”, since Rade shows up in it and does his usual thing. But, the short answer to, “What is a MOTH?”, is just t ...more
Casey Hampton
Jul 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sf
So, military SF. It's kind of like a cheeseburger. And when I say cheeseburger, you pretty much know what I'm talking about, yes? There is a patty of beef, a bun, some lettuce, onion, tomato, pickles, a sauce, and of course cheese. With me so far?

Military SF is a cheeseburger. Sometimes it is a good cheeseburger, and sometimes it's the kind of cheeseburger you'll get at a greasy spoon on your way from one place to another.

My point is that military SF is what it is. Sometimes it is delicious and
John Purvis
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“ATLAS” was published in 2014 and was written by Isaac Hooke (http://isaachooke.com). Mr. Hooke has published 7 novels, this is the first of his “ATLAS” series.

I obtained a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I would categorize this novel as ‘R’ as there is Mature Language and Violence. The novel is written in the first person from the view point of Rade Galaal. The story is set in a future where Earth has mastered space travel through out the galaxy.

Galaal makes
Karla
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enjoying this book so far. I like military based books read authors who have been in the S.A.S the likes of Andy McNab, Chris Ryan and Bear Grylls.

Basically I get the thrill of all the training and action from the safety of my couch.

I do see similarities between Starship Troopers and this book. All books contain similarities. I loved the film in fact it was my first date with my now husband 17 years ago. My choice of film.

I am finding the book entertaining the writing style is good, however I
brian andrews
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version of this book.
The premise of the book is nothing new in the sci-fi genre, solder enhanced fights on other planets.
The story has a decent pace, plot keeps you interested, slow moving love interested intertwined to keep it grounded and not full blown military fiction.
Its part of a series, so there is ongoing character development.

For the audio book, the narrator, oh what a pain, really goes into too much into it, found by the second book, I was ready to delete the a
Walt Mccluskey
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atlas

Atlas

Excellent sci-fi written in a style reminiscent of Heinlein or Asimov. The story moves in the fast pace of today's action movies so you find yourself hating to put it down and get some work done. I plan to get more of Hooke's work to see if the pleasure remains.
Conal
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun military sci-fi story that I enjoyed quite a bit. The author does not really cover any specific new ground in this story but he does keep you entertained with lots of action throughout the whole story. This will definitely be a series that I keep on reading.

4 stars for a fun read. Recommended for fans of military sci-fi with lots of action.
spikeINflorida
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Reads more like a YA story...just too much corn and cheese. Spot on descriptions of bootcamp and special warfare training. Unnecessary and mushy love tryst. Very interesting and scary aliens. Engrossing action sequences. The main character is a little too Gary Stu. A fairly fun read but I will not be picking up part 2.
Jarryd Kalideen
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Alldredge
Storyline not bad grasp of physics horrible

Author writes as if these fleets are tooling around in lake Michigan. No idea of how big space is and how it would affect the ships and characters. In one scene the enemy ships are "barely in sensor range" and the main character sneaks in in a spacesuit at Mach 8 Pleassse either the sensors are really bad or it would take months to get there. At least try to make it believable
MetaPsyche
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Titanfall

As a fan of Titanfall, I am so happy that this guy writes about what a Titanfall pilot would probably experience in his life. OH, AND YEAH MY FAVORITE MECH IS THE ATLAS! :)
Gary Carter
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read.

The characters seemed alive for me. The pace of the story worked for me. I found myself rooting for everyone to make it into the Moths. The ending was .... you will just have to read it for yourselves.
João
Mar 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a good book. It reads like a YA novel, which was very disappointing. The stereotypical cardboard characters behave like high school children through the boring and derivative non-plot. Not worth it.
Lance Stewart
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start to the series

Found Isaacs writing from his most recent book this is my second and I enjoy his writing style and intend to read all his books kindle unlimited is really filled with slot of gems!
Rhett Price
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent 1st book in the trilogy. Good background story, love interest, action and adventure, all wrapped up a man seeking to change his life, and finding out he's more than he ever thought he could become. A great sci-fi read. Don't forget to continue the series!
Jerry Farley
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read reminiscent of starcraft in some regards

Good read this author really held my attention. Great action writing! Would definitely love to read more by this author
Raja Velloo
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was not for me. The romance was unrealistic. The storyline could not hold my interest. Certainly a well edited book nevertheless.
James Thomann
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read and lots of fun. Looking forward to next two books! Book 1 has a real twist at the end!
Chris
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book. lots of action
Alain Allemeersch
Oct 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really do not understand that anyone that has a love for SF can rate this book any higher than maybe 2 or 3 stars. All those people that rate this higher must have never read any descent SF books.

This is set in the far future but the lack of imagination shown is stunning, amazon drones deliver pizza's, the training is basically training for navy seals, cities are called 'New San Antonio or New Great Lakes area', really? That is the best you can come up with? Illegals are crossing the borders i
M
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
* disclosure: I got this as free copy for review on NetGalley.com *
first off, I did enjoy this…
It’s not a revelation, neither in style nor in plot, but it is an enjoyable read, if you like future war type novels like Haldeman’s Forever War (it feels a bit more current and less hard SciFi), Heinlein’s Starship Troopers, from which, I find it takes a bit feeling and atmosphere, and of course the baddies at the end.
In terms of plot it’s a typical future war story: cocky guy from bad background sign
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's full Atlas audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

If you like military novels set in the future, you will likely be drawn to Atlas. More than half of the book is spent showing the intense military training of the main character, first through basic, then Special Forces. Along the way he stays with his friends and a girlfriend he met in basic training. The world is set 2500 years in the future, with the earth divided into two halves, one side rich and lazy and t
John Margolis
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
The book in two words: Mary Sue

While this is a serviceable novel, it falls flat in every place it could have excelled. This book is a very bland version of Starship Troopers.

Setting: America is rich and advanced, but can't recruit enough flesh and blood soldiers to fight. So, it allows illegal aliens caught by law enforcement to sign up. Why not just open a recuiting center in Juarez? A mildly interesting hook that goes no where in the story.

The MOTHS: OK, these are space SEALs, we get it. The
Emerson Jesseler
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novel is military scifi with a heavy emphasis on the military. The hero, Rade, signs up for Navy special forces. Nearly the entire first half of the book is taken up with detailed descriptions of the elite "training" he is subjected to. Said training seems to consist mostly of making the trainees as miserable as possible to weed out all but the most fanatical. It's basically page after page of physical and emotional abuse -- the usual macho stuff. If you can't tell, I didn't enjoy it that m ...more
Beau
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I agree that the overall plot is quite similar to Starship Troopers, but I was especially happy with the beginning. As the protagonist, Rade, progressed from the barrio to basic training to MOTH school, I realized that each setting had its own flavor. The barrio parts felt fresh to me, and by the time that Rade was emigrating to the UC, I felt like I'd been there.

One personal pet peeve. I don't like the idea of chips in the wrist. This isn't the only book that has them, but I'm convinced that w
Mac Briggs
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

What does it mean to be more than a man?

Just finished “ATLAS”, awesome read. Quite possibly the best book I’ve ever read. One of the best books I've read in a long time besides the author’s other novel, “The Forever Gate”. Glad I got the chance to read it.

“Around me, I heard the rapid, repeated staccato of firing pins striking primers as my platoon brothers opened fire. It was a beautiful sound. An orchestra playing what could very well be its last symphony…”

Unlike so many of the other reviewers
David Hersh
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was fun...

Given that most of my books come from KU, I almost never get to write a 5 star review. I'm thrilled to say this one is worth every star. First, the obvious stuff. Unlike many KU authors Mr. Hooke obviously knows something about the English language. His story is well written, easy to follow, and he doesn't use words he doesn't understand. Yes, it sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but Oh, the terrible books I've read through KU.

The story itself is excellent. I haven't read all

• A Sword Into Darkness
  • The Mark of Koban (Koban #2)
  • Fermi's War (Battlecruiser Alamo, #2)
  • The Synchronicity War Part 4
  • Alarm of War
  • Admiral's Tribulation (Spineward Sectors, #3)
  • Exploration (The Catherine Kimbridge Chronicles #3)
  • Azula Carver  (A Galaxy Unknown, #10)
  • This Corner of the Universe (TCOTU, #1 )
  • Gehenna Dawn (Portal Wars #1)
  • The Knights of the Black Earth (Mag Force 7 #1)
  • Death's Head: Day of the Damned (Death's Head #3)
  • Storm Assault (Star Force, #8)
  • On Silver Wings (Hayden War Cycle, #1)
  • Rebellion (Warstrider, #2)
Isaac Hooke is the best-selling author of the Ethan Galaal series of thriller novels, as well as the SF-themed ATLAS trilogy. When Isaac isn't writing, publishing, and blogging, he's busy cycling and taking pictures in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. He has a degree in Engineering Physics.

You can follow Isaac on Twitter @IsaacHooke and his website http://IsaacHooke.com.

Atlas (3 books)
  • ATLAS 2 (Atlas #2)
  • ATLAS 3 (Atlas #3)
“When you're used to having nothing, nothing becomes your everything, and you never really want for anything. But it's a double-edged sword, because there's the danger of becoming complacent, becoming too happy with that nothing, because you've never known anything better. Complacency is the death of dreams, and freedom.” 12 likes
“ship within a ship within a ship.” 1 likes