Start by marking “Compliments of a Friend” as Want to Read:
Compliments of a Friend

Compliments of a Friend

Published November 12th 2013 by Open Road Integrated Media

To ask other readers questions about Compliments of a Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compliments of a Friend

Margitte

So, Vanessa Giddings took round about thirty Xanax pills, got her manicured -, pedicured -, presumably botoxed -, boob-jobbed -, and liposucked self into Bloomingdales and just died among her favorite Prada and Gucci delights. The Panache mogul had enough, said her suicide note.

Not so, thought her acquaintance-cum-friend and neighbor, Judith Singer, a history professor and amateur detective.

“....why in God’s name would she choose to die in Bloomingdale’s? Why would she be buying shoes in the fi
Dianne
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Did the beautiful, vain and wealthy divorcee commit suicide or was she murdered? The police seem to think a suicide note is sufficient to call this a clear case of suicide, but friend, neighbor and amateur sleuth, Judith Singer thinks otherwise. Compliments of a Friend by Susan Isaacs is a quick and witty read that showcases Judith and her delightfully sarcastic and down to earth suspicions that all is not as it seems.

Susan Isaacs has created an entertaining world, light on drama, heavy on wit a
Betsy Karpenkopf
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I enjoy reading Susan Isaacs's books when a certain mood strikes me. They are fast moving, chock full of delightful characters and basically fun to read for a change. I read "Compromising Positions" years' ago, so when this book came out recently, touted as a sequel, I looked frorward to reading it. The heroine, Judith Singer, may be older, and recently widowed,but she's just as fun to read about. Judith's zany behavior, faithful friends and cute wisecracks keep the story rolling.
The problem lie
Angie Boyter
To avoid confusion, readers should know that this is a short story about Judith Singer that was written and takes place between Compromising Positions and Long Time No See.
Gabby
**Compliments Of A Friend** by *Susan Isaacs*

Reading Susan Isaacs for me has always been like reconnecting with an old friend. I read **Compromising Positions** when it was first published, and after that I made it a point to keep an eye out for any new Isaacs novels. Back in those days there were 3 authors I looked forward to reading with each new novel they published: Susan Isaacs, Stephen King, and Sidney Sheldon. I didn't care what the subject of the novel was; I could depend upon those auth
Rikki
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it

It's a long time since I read a whole book at one sitting, but Susan Isaacs makes compulsive reading. Set in Long Island amidst the well heeled and successful residents, Judith Singer, a historian, becomes intrigued by the apparent suicide of a friend in Bloomingdales shoe department. It's so totally out of character that this highly successful woman should be buying shoes whilst she waited for the pills to take effect.and she can't let go of the fact that if it wasn't suicide a it must have bee
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
Short short story!
The words flow on the pages; the writing appears effortless but alas this short, short story ends without a real conclusion and that was disappointing. I was enjoying the witty conversation between Judith and the rest of the cast, I was enjoying getting to know this canny investigator and could see the threads of this investigation starting to come together to form a solid basis for the case. But I was hoodwinked – this story was really just an introduction that allowed
Ivonne Rovira
Although released in 2013, Compliments of a Friend takes place shortly before Long Time No See, the second novel in the Judith Singer series. Unlike the other two books, novel length and real page-turners, Compliments of a Friend is barely a novella and barely worth reading. Meh.
Erin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ordinarily, I rate Susan Isaacs’ books very highly - 4+ stars. However, I’m rating this a meager 2 stars. First, it is not categorized correctly - it is a novella, not a full novel. Second, it contains entire passages already found in Long Time, No See. Susan’s first Judith Singer novel was published in 1978, so I assume that she penned this brief story before committing to a full-on sequel. Rather than being a third installment in the Judith Singer “series”, it is a brief story with an abrupt e ...more
Jane
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story only, and I expected a novel. Sometimes my Kindle fools me. Still, Judith Singer is fun both in short and long form.
Joanne
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Where's the rest of it?
Sheri Humble
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Excellent work for a first short story

I gave three stars because while this work was competent, there were a few glaring shortcomings like a rushed and lackluster ending,definately an anticlimax to the buildup. When one considers that she had never written a short story before and also managed to pop it out in two days under severe deadline, it actually highlights her competeence as a writter. As always, her chsracters are so alive that she could write about them taking a trip to McDonalds and t
Elizabeth Webber
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-freebies
I really enjoyed this short story and will be looking for more of Isaacs' books. It did seem to conclude very quickly, and I found myself looking for more pages. The pacing was great and suspenseful throughout, then it suddenly resolved. I do not read many short stories, so this may be common for the genre, I just don't know. As for the story, it was very entertaining. Plenty of fashion and intelligent women mixed with a bit of suicide... or was it murder (insert dramatic music here). A fun and ...more
Lauri Rottmayer
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a book by Susan Isaacs in a while but have loved her work in the past.

This was a fun, short story reprising characters from her earlier book, Compromising Positions. The author states at the end of the book that she had never written a short story before. Nor does she read a lot of short stories.

I'm the same way. I really like a story I can get involved with and have time to grow to love the characters.

But this was fun and fast and I liked it a lot. I'm planning to go back and s
Nick Turner
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: now, mystery
When Vanessa Giddings faints in Bloomingdales, nobody blinks. But when the founder and CEO of Panache, the largest employment agency on Long Island, is found to be in a coma, and dies, neigbour Judith Singer can't believe the official ruling of self-harm. Who takes an overdose then goes shoe shopping?
The author confesses to never having written a short story before. In real life detectives face many dead ends but in the story Judith can't take a shot in the dark without hitting on evidence. With
Emily
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, netgalley
*Copy provided by Netgalley for an unbiased review.*
How lovely to return to Judith Singer! I read Compromising Positions long ago, and have read several of Susan Isaacs' books since, always enjoying her writing style and her sense of humor. This short story was no exception. Warm, witty, a nice way of reminding the reader of what had happened in Compromising Positions. And now I can't wait to read the further adventures of Judith & friends in "Long Time No See".
Rose
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, nypl, chick-litt, nook
The wasn't a book, it was a short story. Isaacs has written some wonderful books and writes brilliant dialogue. The problem, as she acknowledges in her authors notes at the end, is that she is not a short story writer. There is an art to the short story, and sadly, she has not yet mastered it.
Paula
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I put this on my kindle not realizing it was a novella and as I started to read it was shocked at how fast it was moving along, only to be bummed it wasn't a full sized novel. I LOVE the Judith Singer series - she writes them so amusingly and while it was short and sweet, it was great and I hope she writes more!
John Wood
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This one is a fun read, especially if you like amateur sleuths. Suicide or murder? Where is that Xanax bottle? Motive? Who? Why? How? All sorts of questions need to be answered. Susan Isaacs knows how to spin a good yarn.
I received my copy free from netgalley.com.
Ellen
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A short novella from Netgalley, bringing back Judith Singer, a Long Island woman with a hobby of investigating. I hope thus is a prelude to a full novel length return of Singer and her cop love interest.
Gillian
Sep 30, 2015
Kimberley Wray
Apr 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • The Seduction of Miriam Cross (A Delilah Percy Powers Mystery, #1)
  • The Candidate
  • The Deal
  • Clean Burn (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #1)
  • The Tenth Circle (Blaine McCracken #11)
  • The Vicar's Wife (Tales from Goswell #1)
  • Delaney's People: A Novel in Small Stories
  • The Brim Reaper: A Samantha Kidd Humorous Mystery
  • Thanksgiving
  • What It Was Like
  • The Salinger Contract
  • The Difficult Sister (Emma Golden Mysteries, #2)
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • Finding Sky (Nicki Valentine Mystery, #1)
  • Whack Job (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery, #2)
  • A Swollen Red Sun
  • No Time for Tears
Susan Isaacs is the author of fourteen novels, including Compromising Positions, Shining Through, After All These Years, and As Husbands Go. Her newest novel, Takes One to Know One, will be published in October 2019. She is a former editor of Seventeen and a freelance political speechwriter. Susan is chairman of the board of Poets & Writers and a past president of Mystery Writers of America.