Start by marking “Setting the Record Straight: Blacks & the Mormon Priesthood” as Want to Read:
Setting the Record Straight: Blacks & the Mormon Priesthood

Setting the Record Straight: Blacks & the Mormon Priesthood

For over a century The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints prohibited the ordination of men who had Black African ancestry to offices in its priesthood. This "priesthood ban" was lifted in 1978 to the delight of most Church members, but puzzling questions and folklore surrounding the origin and reasons for the ban have lingered in Mormon popular culture.
Published August 1st 2007 by Millennial Press

To ask other readers questions about Setting the Record Straight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Setting the Record Straight

Alexis
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great example of wisdom when something causes such hard feelings between people. He has an amazing attitude and grasp of what truly applies to this big question mark in the LDS culture and history.
Britt
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This author has amazing insights, knowledge and attitude.
Jeffrey
Sep 30, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: No One
Shelves: owner
Yesterday I frequented our local “Bountiful Book Store” to purchase some Boy Scout item for my son. As I was walking in I saw an advertisement for a new book series called “Setting The Record Straight”. This is a 5 part series sub-titled “The Book of Mormon”, “Mormons & Polygamy”, “Mormons & Masons”, ”Joseph Smith & The Mormon Prophet” and “Blacks & The Mormon Priesthood”. I decided to purchase the latter book just to give the series a chance to prove itself first.

As I read the j
Randall Kempton
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Helpful and interesting personal perspectives and research on the topic.
Ryder
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Relative to other books of the same series, this particular book leaves a lot to be desired. While the subject matter is certainly interesting enough, and more so that it's from the point of view of an active, black LDS professor, it does nothing to answer questions.

What I mean is that he simply recognizes each common rumour and misconception about the priesthood ban and debunks it with distorted logic. He does offer some hypothesis as to the possible reasons for the ban, but none are satisfacto
Susan
Jun 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mom, Carmel and Bud
I loved how this book explores and explains the ban on the priesthood for blacks. It's great that it's written by a black member of the church who is also a great scholar. Everything he says is personal testimony or explained within the context of doctrine. It's a short book but maybe not described as a "quick read."
Roy
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very well worded book! There really is no absolute answer for why blacks were denied the priesthood, but the main point now is that it is all in the past and God will reveal it to us when the time is right, so why continue to beat upon the subject.
Logan
Feb 12, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction, history
I'm interested about this book since one of the reviewers explained a lot about the book that make it seem like it doesn't do much good. I wonder how it compares to things like the documentary, "Nobody Knows..." hmmmm
Bryce
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well-researched, with some great insights, but not the most exciting read. That said, it will be my standard go-to book from now on whenever someone has a sincere question or strong (but shallow) opinion about this important, but somewhat nuanced, topic.
Jennie
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Didn't provide some of the historical context I was interested in, but there were some good perspectives from the author, who was affected by the ban.
Tonya
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds
I learned some things from this book and appreciated the author's story and insight about being black and a member of the LDS Church pre-1978.
Ethan
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, powerful read. I readily recommend it to most, if not all.
More on the blog...
Tricia
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very insightful!!
Karen
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This was GREAT. Learned a ton. My favorite is the last paragraph. It is also important to read in conjunction Darius Gray's Standing on the Promises series.
Mormon Heretic
Oct 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
It was ok. Martins tries to make this a scriptural, spritual book. It's not very historical, but there was some interesting info about Ham.
Anita Williamson
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked his insights. I would have liked more information on how the ban started since he seemed to assume that the reader already knew that.
Tyler Tatton
Oct 22, 2011
Rebekah
May 29, 2008
Kristy
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I thought this book was really well written. Written from a black priesthood holder's view and one that had to wait until the ban was lifted. He wrote it without personal bias as he dispels all the myths of the "why's."
Aaron
Sep 25, 2017
Camilla
Aug 29, 2010
Sarelle
Jan 26, 2012
Colleen
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very good, lets you decide.
Nephi