Start by marking “Oltre ogni sospetto (Anna Travis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Oltre ogni sospetto (Anna Travis, #1)

Oltre ogni sospetto

(Anna Travis #1)

Tutto comincia con l'omicidio della diciassettenne Melissa Stephens, bella e di buona famiglia, capelli lunghi che le cadono sulle spalle e un sorriso dolcissimo. Negli ultimi dodici anni, altre cinque donne erano già state uccise in circostanze analoghe, ma tutte molto diverse da Melissa: prostitute già avanti con gli anni, devastate dall'alcol e dalla droga. La ragazza è ...more
Paperback, Elefanti bestseller, 473 pages
Published April 29th 2010 by Garzanti Libri (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Oltre ogni sospetto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oltre ogni sospetto

Gary
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having recently read and enjoyed Lynda La Plante's Jane Tennison books I decided to purchase the Anna Travis series of books this being the first.
Anna Travis is a new female detective who is about to work on her first murder case. The gruesome murders are identical and the women's backgrounds are very similar in that they are all prostitutes. When the seventh body is found, the murderers method is the same but the victim this time is a sweet young student. Anna stumbles on a vital piece of infor
Pat
Dec 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly done..I picked it as the "murder mystery between serious reads" and it's pathetic..mediocre writing, a plot with no momentum, shallow characters, and, most disturbingly, the climax of the story is simply the gruesome confession of the suspect to all his murders, which comes across as salacious and (even for a crime novel) in the worst possible taste. Yuk. With so many other , better written and character-rich mysteries out there, don't waste your time.
Rebecca McNutt
Not at all a bad book, but I found Above Suspicion to be rather unoriginal and the way Detective Anna seems to form a weird affection for the guy suspected of murder is very strange and unrealistic.
Debra
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-a-book
Not a bad thiller considering you know right off the bat who the killer is. It's not a matter of ID'ing him...it's a matter for cracking him.

I'm not sure I get all the rave about Lynda La Plante. It was a decent enough book, but not one I wld recommend. I found the female lead rather needy, wishy washy and easily swayed. And just because she ends the book by deciding against a relationship w/ Langton doesn't suddenly make her a strong character.

The liner for the book summed it up, "Anna stumbl
Carol
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In recent weeks I have become interested in the career of Author Lynda La Plante. I am finally getting on board with her critically acclaimed and award winning TV series Prime Suspect. I thought I might also watch Above Suspicion but why not read the book first.

Above Suspicion is the usual serial killer thriller introducing Rookie Anna Travis. Travis is less interesting on paper than Jane Tennison of Prime Suspect fame. This is not quite fair as this is not an apple-to-apple comparison. Travis
Linda  Branham Greenwell
New Detective Anna Travis, daughter of the late Detective Chief Superintendent Jack Travis is the main character. Anna is chosen by Detective Chief Inspector Langton to join his team investigating a series of murders of prostitutes. There is almost no evidence identifying anyone as the killer, but the team continues to dig until they uncover puzzling clues pointing to a famous and handsome movie star. It seems unlikely that this famous man is the murderer, but the team continues to follow the cl ...more
Joyce
Just goes to prove that sometimes middle-aged bitches like DCI Jane Tennison really are more interesting than young sweeties like DS Anna Travis... and that sometimes great TV shows really are more interesting than mediocre novels. There's more life and depth in one shot of Helen Mirren as Jane Tennison than in almost 400 pages of dreary writing about Anna's wardrobe, crush on her boss, and chirpy musings to the photo of her sainted dad before she falls asleep every night.
Fiona
First completed book of 2010!

There isn't much to really 'review' about this book other then it was a satisfactory crime story. I already knew the story unfortunately as I've already seen the TV drama last year in March, which was very good. Unfortunately for me the sequel to this book is being shown on the 4th of January so I have to pull my socks up and read The Red Dahlia by 9pm on that day.

This is my first book by Lynda La Plante, who is more famously known for writing and creating the Prime
Jann Barber
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How have I read mysteries for so many years, yet never heard of Lynda La Plante? Seems she's also responsible for the "Prime Suspect" books on which that BBC series starring Helen Mirren is based.

A friend had me watch several series of another BBC series, and I noticed that this series was based on novels by Lynda La Plante. I checked three of them out from the library and just read the first one.

"Above Suspicion" is an excellent start to the series with young detective Anna Travis serving on he
Shaun
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Okay...so maybe not amazing, but still a five star in my book.

Really enjoyed this police procedural. Was looking to experience a new author in the mystery genre, when I came across this book in my local library.

Stylistically, this is different from many of the books I usually enjoy. The writing is pretty basic. Heavy on dialogue. A little detached and distant.

That said, I enjoyed the characters and the systematic unraveling of the mystery, which is less about who-done-it and more about how-to-p
Audrey
A terrible book but a good read.

Terrible for the wet-blanket heroine who every male in the vicinity likes to grab / scoop up / describe in childlike terms while she tries to determine how attracted she is to them rather than whether Miss Knee should have a quick word with Mr Groin.

Terrible for the too-vivid descriptions of the crimes and the corpses, and the casual way everyone agrees that sex workers are terrible people who deserve horrible deaths.

Terrible for a plot that demands an unfamilia
Kimsandara
Above Suspicion is a decent thriller.
There was little doubt that the major suspect was the murderer, only the journey to prove that he was guilty constituted the plot.
There are a few red herrings here and there but nothing serious.

Anna Travis was interesting enough and if she seemed rather weak in the first part of the novel I did like her in the second, where she came to play a major role in the identification of the killer.

Another good point was her relationship with her boss. It was clear fr
Vivisection
Since this was British, I can say I quite enjoyed this hearty tome of police procedural derring-do! Rather old chap.

As it's the first novel in a series, the strands that are woven seemed a bit overwrought and needlessly complex. I mean, one doesn't need daddy issues, mommy issues, rookie nerves, boss crushes AND solving mysteries allinonenovel! But one can see how they will be used later in the series as the characters and story lines develop. I am not sure the author needed to lay quite so much
Gary Van Cott
I am going to give this 3.5 stars. At first the writing style seemed to be rather simplistic but I didn't notice it after I got into the book. The main character seemed quite similar to Barry Maitland's Kathy Kola.

I think that when English authors write scenes in the US they should let an American look at it. There is no Orange County Police Department (California). There is a Orange Country Sheriffs Department and police departments in the many incorporated cities in the country. Also American'
Chavonne
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan of Graphic Police Procedurals
Recommended to Chavonne by: Book Club Selection
I read this book in order to prepare for my first experience in a mystery book club. I enjoyed this book enormously for the first 300 pages--the novel moved quickly and easily held my attention and imagination. Then came the unnecessary sex scene, the nightmare-inducing descriptions of the serial killer's actions, and a justiceless (my biggest pet peeve of some of Christie's novels) end left very much to be desired. I'm sure that I will read the next installment of this series as I like Anna Tra ...more
Rachel L
Apr 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Margaret
I had looked forward to reading this book, as I had heard good things about the author. Unfortunately, the writing is uneven. Characters will be having a conversation and then abruptly seem to be across the room or out the door. It's like watching a stop motion film with some of the frames removed. I wasn't irritated by the main character's naïveté, like many of the reviewers. The other characters in the book seem to see her as unprofessional, too, but it's hard to tell because you are getting e ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
Very competent police procedural. Even though the antagonist is Anna Travis, rookie to Homicide, the story reads exactly like the TV show Prime Suspect, the original British series. I loved Jane Tennison played by Helen Mirren, one of my favorite actresses. However Travis is starting out on her career and does not have Tennison's veneer of knowing how police and politics are intertwined yet. She is living the dream of following in her beloved cop father's footsteps and tears up at the thought of ...more
The Wee Hen
The Wee Hen's mother was a devoted and loyal mystery reader for as long as one can remember. And I do remember well her love for the Prime Suspect series both in books and the british tv productions. So I decided to dive right in and what a delight I found. Anna Travis is wonderful- young, green, super keen, vulnerable but smart and with brilliant instincts, La Plante gives you everything you want in a good, solid police procedural and her heroine is a revelation. Travis finds herself on her fir ...more
Lorraine
Young Anna Travis has just made detective, and with her new Cooper Mini, travels to her first murder scene, a ditch in the country where a woman's strangled body was found. The investigation is harrowing and distressing, but Anna works hard and come to the attention of her supervisor, Detector Chief Inspector Robert Langton, and soon they become lovers. Anna begins to investigate clues without informing the team, and is severely reprimanded for doing so, but eventually she's the one who find the ...more
Katie
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story line was intriguing, I was rooting for Langton and Travis since the start of the book but unfortunately things didn't turn out as I had wanted them to.
There were certain parts in the book where I just had to keep reading and even got a little scared when certain things would happy.
I would take the book with me when I would make a cup of tea so I could carry on reading!
It made me laugh and made me shocked sometimes and certain sentences that one of the characters would say.
It was truly
Diane Dickson
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Lynda La Plante's books that I have read. I have been aware of her work of course, through the television. I was very impressed. The main character a rookie detective was human and fallible and believable. There was a love interest, a team of mixed characters for her to work with and a dark and despicable villain with a complicated past. I enjoyed it immensely and read it three days which is fast for me nowadays with all the other writerly stuff I'm trying to fit it. I won't ...more
Zoe Hall
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Wow, wow, wow! This book is a roller coaster of a ride. It takes you full throttle through the tumultuous task of catching a serial killer. The prime suspect is a well known actor who, if wrongly accused, could ruin not only his own career but also those of the officers investigating him. An absolutely brilliant book, with excellent writing and wonderfully rounded characters. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a well-rounded and excellent crime novel. An excellent 4 stars!!
The Book Posh
Chris
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes the murders were horrific and the suspect was an extremely devious emotionless sociopath. Even so, this is an exceptionally well written, novel with a very interesting and enjoyable character. I thoroughly enjoyed Jane Tennison of Prime Suspect, and Anna Travis appears to be another great and endearing character to follow up with. I love how she honors the memory of her deceased father, a well liked detective and loving dad. I look forward to reading on in the series.
Afsana
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book and it shows how Anna first meets langton.

I don't really get what she sees in him-rude, has a temper and no patience bt each to their own.

Thought th lead up to who did the deed and why was good and it was a bit worrying how willing langton was to use anna as bait

The only issue I had was anna is described in the book as a red head and he once refferred to her as his carrot top but in the front cover the lady hasa blond hair!
Kelly
I really enjoyed the investigation aspect of this book, and the killer, though known, was creepy enough to keep it interesting without the mystery. What ruined this book for me was Anna Travis as a character, I found it difficult to relate to her and by the end of the book was annoyed at her constant need to fly solo and kiss Langton's butt. The series increasingly concerns itself with Travis to the detriment of plotlines and other characters who are introduced.

Vivian
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a new to me author in print, although I'm familiar with her work because of her excellent Prime Suspect and Trial and Retribution British TV series. This first book in the Anna Travis series is as taut, well plotted and well written as her TV work. I've already started book two and pleased to have added La Plante to my growing list of favorite British authors.
Patricia Doiron
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lynda La Plante is the queen of tell don't show. Her writing may well translate to tv but in books reads basically like a laundry list of things that happen. Anna Travis is about as believable a character as Santa Claus and far less interesting. How these books get published while talented, credible writers never do is the real mystery here.
Emily
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally a good book but had the potential to be so much better.
I found the protagonist, Anna Travis, to be fairly irritating at times with her obsessiveness about minor things (what was the many references to her car about?!) and her romantic interest James Langdon. Having taken these things out I feel I would have enjoyed the book so much more.

• The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #3)
  • City of Lies
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
  • Playing With Bones (Joe Plantagenet, #2)
  • Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)
  • Lazybones (Tom Thorne, #3)
  • The Chameleon's Shadow
  • The Dead House (Fiona Griffiths, #5)
  • Silk
  • Deadline (Tina Boyd #3)
  • Nightlife
  • Fisherman's Bend (Jane Bunker Mystery #2)
  • The Night Ferry
Lynda La Plante (born Lynda Titchmarsh) is a British author, screenwriter, and erstwhile actress (her performances in Rentaghost and other programmes were under her stage name of Lynda Marchal), best known for writing the Prime Suspect television crime series.

Her first TV series as a scriptwriter was the six part robbery series Widows, in 1983, in which the widows of four armed robbers carry out a

Anna Travis (9 books)
  • The Red Dahlia (Anna Travis #2)
  • Clean Cut (Anna Travis, #3)
  • Deadly Intent (Anna Travis, #4)
  • Silent Scream (Anna Travis, #5)
  • Blind Fury (Anna Travis, #6)
  • Blood Line (Anna Travis, #7)
  • Backlash (Anna Travis, #8)
  • Wrongful Death (Anna Travis, #9)
“Langton, believing Anna’s silence was due to distress about” 1 likes