Start by marking “Endangered” as Want to Read:
Endangered

Endangered

The one secret she cares about keeping—her identity—is about to be exposed. Unless Lauren "Panda" Daniels—an anonymous photoblogger who specializes in busting classmates and teachers in compromising positions—plays along with her blackmailer's little game of Dare or . . . Dare.

But when the game turns deadly, Panda doesn't know what to do. And she may need to step out of th
Published April 21st 2015 by Harper Teen

To ask other readers questions about Endangered, please sign up.
Cassandra 13-19? Protagonists are about 16 (from memory)
Kathleen No; there is a plot point about the main character and her ex and questionable relations between a student and a teacher, but there is no romance.

Start your review of Endangered
Sarah Elizabeth

“How do you get the color Gray? Throw a Panda in the blender and turn it on.”

There was nothing wrong with this story, I just didn’t really enjoy it, and the above quote is pretty gross.

I liked ‘Panda’ and I thought that her heart was in the right place. While what she was doing was wrong to a point, she was doing it for the right reasons, and I appreciated that
AH
About 3.5 stars.

This book had an intriguing premise and one that should appeal to young adult readers. Lauren "Panda" Daniels is a high school student with many talents. She is an aspiring photographer. She has stealthy (sneaky) skills. Lauren was once bullied in high school and decided to get even. She photographed the offender in a compromising situation and posted it to her blog, Gray. When she takes a photo of a teacher and student having sex in a car, things change drastically. Lauren has a
Kira Simion
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't quite hate that Panda/Gray is an annoying MC at the beginning because she does try and redeem herself when her friend Ocie tells her to her face how she feels. I like that. I want to follow Ocie's steps and tell those who think they're better than someone what I really think. (Though I luckily don't know anyone who does that 100% of the time.)

While Panda/Gray may not be humble, she is what a human is. She makes mistakes (though she doesn't want to admit it) and she wants to be liked.

Over
Elise (TheBookishActress)
2.5 stars. My feelings on Endangered might be a case of “it's not you, it's me” because this book had some good traits, but for some reason it didn't really grab me.

Panda is a good main character with an interesting arc. She's sarcastic and funny, a bit unlikable towards the beginning but getting more likable over time.
Endangered also deserves kudos for the lack of romance and A+ racial diversity.

Pretty much the only solid complaint I have is the writing style, which seemed amateurish and sim
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-zed
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Endangered started off great with witty, diverse characters and a dangerous mystery but the second half of the book was a let-down.

Opening Sentence: I’ve haunted my school for the last three years. I’m not a real ghost; this isn’t one of those stories.

The Review:

This book had so much potential, I honestly thought it was a solid 4-star read, until I read the last few chapters.

The writing was witty, the characters were interesting and there was pl
Dayla
Review first appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

I received a copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating: 2.5

Endangered by Lamar Giles is a young adult thriller that actually has a pretty great premise, and having loved Giles's last book, I was very optimistic about this novel. In being optimistic, I broke one of my own personal rules: Never go into a book with expectations. While I loved the concept and I even liked the protagonist, Lauren, or more affectionately cal
BookLoversLife
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing

With it's engaging and diverse characters and captivating plot, Endangered is a must read!!

When Laurens ex makes fun of her in front of the entire school, she decides to get back at him. Why should she be humiliated and not him? She takes a photo of him and engineers a blog called Gray. She posts the photo and everyone sees it, score one for Gray. Lauren then figures, why not try to humiliate the people who bully us! She then proceeds to take photos of the wrong doers and posts them on the site
Taylor Knight
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it

I've always been interested in the YA genre that has hacking and computer thriller types of things in it so I was pretty excited to read Endangered. I didn't read any reviews before starting this book so I kinda went in blind. I'm not really disappointed per se but I was really hoping for more.

This book started off really quickly and never slowed down. However, it started so quickly that I was never able
comprehend what was happening. And nothing was really fully explained.

I liked the idea of t
Bang Bang Books
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Overview
Panda (Lauren) is a photographer whose mission is to expose the secrets of the assholes at her school. It's initially fun until a mysterious classmate exposes Panda's secrets.

The protagonist in Endangered is a Black girl and she's on the COVER!!!! Several of the characters are minorities and none of them live in the ghetto, become pregnant, live with a single mother (well one does but that's statistically sound), and they all speak proper English. YAY!

Endangered focuses on the secret of
Stacee
A very interesting premise, but it lacked the tension I was expecting.

Lauren was a decent enough MC. Her inner monologue was just okay. The best part was her passion for photography, that really came through. There are a few secondary characters, but Lauren keeps everyone at arm's length, so I didn't feel like we got to know anyone.

I loved the idea of a revenge/karma photo blog and the repercussions of being found out. Sadly, the "dares" weren't that shocking and the reveal wasn't surprising.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars

Fun, light-hearted YA suspense with a Veronica Mars style main character. I liked the inclusion of a biracial character and parents who are, refreshingly, in love. Amateur detective stories always require some suspension of disbelief. Overall, it was a fun read.
Erica Alyson
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by this author. I loved it!!! Great mystery when you don't see the end coming!
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss. Too young adult for middle school-- starts with a fairly graphic sex scene. Disappointed, because my students really enjoy Fake ID.
Alex (Briennai)
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Lauren is a photographer named Gray who secretly runs a blog about people in her school. She takes pictures of students who she deems deserve to be exposed. Some of the pictures aren't exactly what they seem, but as long as the picture makes the bully/bad student look bad, Gray will post it. No one knows that she runs this, but the whole school is always tuned into this blog to see who will be posted next. Then she posts a picture of a mean cheerleader having sex with a coach, and it absolutely ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Photographer and self-appointed teen vigilante Lauren "Panda" Daniels runs a website to avenge teen and faculty misdeeds. When Mean Girl Keachin steals a disabled girl's crutches, Panda exposes Mean Girl in a car with their gym teacher. Then Keachin is killed. Panda races to discover the culprit, who may be the same person stalking her.

Lamar Giles has a talent for creating strong, multidimensional, kick-ass female protagonists. Lauren is such a great character because she also has a strong narci
Julia
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Two and a half stars. I guessed the villain as soon as he/she showed up.

I read the acknowledgments first and was put off by the fact that the author said "without further adieu" instead of "without further ado." Why do editors continually drop the ball like this?
Hoa
Apr 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
The main character has good intensions, but doesn't think of the consequences to her actions. The book had me frustrated in the "dumb" choices she made, but than again, I am not surprised.
Bless
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent way to keep suspicion!!! A fun mystery read indeed!
J. Taylor
Not exactly fleshed out and the writing wasn't superb but it was engaging mystery.
Lulu (the library leopard)
Eh. I appreciated the interesting premise and the snappy pace/writing, but this just didn't do it for me.
Ms. B
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, ya, mystery
What happens when the game Lauren and her secret admirer are playing turns deadly? Can you figure out who wants to kill high schooler Lauren's (aka Panda, Gray) classmates and friends before she does in this story about karma (aka what goes around comes around and what comes around goes around)?
Rich in Color
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on Rich in Color in August 2015

I had heard only great things about Lamar Gile’s latest book so I had high expectations and they were surely met. Endangered is a fun summer read that I picked up at just the right time. The novel moved at a quick pace as Panda tried to discover who the Admirer is, while her life spins out of control due to her own actions. I am often a bit wary of mysteries because I try, like most readers, to figure out “who done it” before the main character
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher via Edelweiss.

Diversity Rating: 3 – Closer to Reality

Racial-Ethnic: 5 (Lots of racial diversity)
QUILTBAG: 0 (Mention of gay kid, but he doesn’t appear)
Disability: 2 (Character with cerebral palsy)
Intersectionality: 4 (Mixing of identities everywhere)

(Note that my diversity rating may not be accurate this time because I read Endangered ~2 months ago. Working off memory and notes here.)

“stalker” DING, I’M IN.
Erika
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
What I liked about this was the idea of a secret identity, one where everyone knows you. In this book, Lauren (aka "Panda") is one of those completely invisible girls at school. But by night, she dons her other alias, "Gray," who runs a photoblogging website that exploits people's secrets. Everyone in school knows about Gray, knows how Gray is able to catch supposedly good people doing compromising things, like selling drugs and such. But it isn't until someone catches takes a picture of Panda d ...more
Jazmen
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This started out as a non-stop, unputdownable novel--but once the "reveal" came into play it fell flat.

Endangered tells the story of Lauren aka "Panda", half-black, half-white teen ( I mentioned that because, hello, diversity. YES!) is a photoblogger, who exposes those holding dark secrets. Everything is all well and good until things turn deadly. Panda has an admirer that is a little too overzealous about her work.

Okay, I obviously loved the fact that this novel was diverse. I mean, hooray. I l
Annette
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Endangered grabbed me right away and did a great job of pacing that kept my interest.

Lauren (aka "Panda") is invisible at school. She wants it that way. All she's interested in is photography -- and she puts her skills to use anonymously on her blog. She uses terms like "avenger" and "vigilante" and "karma" as she goes after people who have wronged others. She finds them in compromising situations and posts these pictures. The consequences can be huge, like losing a scholarship, or maybe just so
Noah B
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The name of this book is Endangered by Lamar Giles. This books theme is treat others the way you want to be treated because if she treated other people nicely, the girl might have not got in as much trouble. The genre of this book is mystery.
This book mainly takes place in her house or school. In this book, their is a girl named Panda. She makes this website called "gray scales", in this blog she tries and rune peoples lives because they did something mean to her. When she exposes one big secre
Nara
If you're looking for a book with diversity: this is definitely one of them. It's the good kind of diversity as well- the kind where it's not thrown in your face. In particular, "Panda", our protagonist, is half black, half white (hence panda), and her best friend is an Asian. Also really commendable is that when things get really serious, Panda actually goes to her parents. TO HER PARENTS. Who instantly ground her, but still. This is something that never happens in YA! Yay for parents!

Predictab
Saruuh Kelsey
DNF at 19%

I didn't know what to make of this book at first. It was great in terms of diverse representation, and I'd heard some pretty awesome things about Lamar Giles, so I took a chance on it. I don't usually read contemporary thrillers so I don't know if a slow first quarter is to be expected but I got to 19% and I was just bored. I wanted something major to happen and it seemed like the only big plot things were emails and pictures sent to the MC from a creepy stalker blackmailer - who she t
Melanie
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Endangered was a solid 3.5 book. I've not read anything like it and that made it special in many ways and more enjoyable. Being a YA mystery I found it had just the right amount of adventure, intrigue and fun. I was also quite pleased that for once in these books romance took a back seat.

Granted some of the subjects in this book aren't all suitable for the younger YA reader, however even the language in this book was reasonably ok and most middle and upwards teens would be find with this book.

I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Three Truths and a Lie
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Homeland (Little Brother, #2)
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Girls Society
  • Ten
  • Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr. Monk, #1)
  • Jackpot
  • This Story Is a Lie
  • How She Died, How I Lived
  • Con Academy
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
  • Dangerous Girls
  • A Tyranny of Petticoats (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #1)
  • Sisters of the Perilous Heart (Mortal Heritance, #1)
  • Clap When You Land
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
Lamar "L. R." Giles writes books for teens and adults. FAKE ID, his debut Young Adult Thriller, will be published by HarperCollins in 2014. He is represented by Jamie Weiss Chilton of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency and resides in Chesapeake, VA with his wife.

News & Interviews

“Am I radiating openness? Do you feel the warmth of the springtime sun when I'm near? If so, please understand that sensation is actually my fiery disdain.” 6 likes
“Change isn't like a shutter click. It's never instant.” 2 likes