Start by marking “The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1)

Read Excerpt

The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  65,287 Ratings  ·  9,041 Reviews
An untested young princess must claim her throne, learn to become a queen, and combat a malevolent sorceress in an epic battle between light and darkness in this spectacular debut—the first novel in a trilogy.

Young Kelsea Raleigh was raised in hiding after the death of her mother, Queen Elyssa, far from the intrigues of the royal Keep and in the care of two devoted servant
Published July 8th 2014 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of the Tearling, please sign up.
Krystyna It is both actually. If you are a mature young adult that can handle issues like rape and violence (there isn't as much as people make it out to be,…moreIt is both actually. If you are a mature young adult that can handle issues like rape and violence (there isn't as much as people make it out to be, but still prominent), you can read it. Most teenagers I know are actually really good at handling reading issues about such things.(less)
Clara Hi! I don't think I would call it like Game of Thrones. It has a lot of politics in it, and the consequences of everything the main character chooses…moreHi! I don't think I would call it like Game of Thrones. It has a lot of politics in it, and the consequences of everything the main character chooses to do as a queen. It has some violence, but you can't really compare it to the show, it's not gory. I loved this book! It was so interesting and so realistic, I had really high expectation and it did not disappoint!(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
What does [that lady] see when she looks in the mirror? Kelsea wondered. How could a woman who looked so old still place so much importance on being attractive? Kelsea saw now that there was something far worse than being ugly: being ugly and thinking you were beautiful.
Because how DARE anyone ugly have confidence in themselves.

When I die, I want inscribed on my gravestone "She Read The Queen of the Tearling." Call me unambitious, but that shall be counted among my proudest accomplishments,
Navessa
WARNING: RAGE RANT

First of all, to the shitstick in the PR department that labeled this the “The Hunger Games meets Game of Thrones”:

Second of all, FANTASY NOVEL FAIL.

Look, I’m a hardcore fantasy fan but I’m not a snob. High fantasy, light fantasy, urban fantasy, science fantasy; I’ll read it all. What I look for in the world an author builds, in the story that they tell, is creativity, believability when it comes to what they’ve created, accuracy, consistency, and COMMON FUCKING SENSE. Because
Kat O'Keeffe
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A bit on the slow side, but I loved the political intrigue and the super interesting world! Kelsea was such an awesome protagonist and there were lots of other great characters, each with their own interests and conflicts. I still have so many questions about the magic system and the history of this world--I kind of liked that not everything was spelled out directly and given to us, though I do hope we get more answers in the sequel. Will definitely be continuing with this series ASAP!
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Well, clearly I'm going to be kicked out of the cool kids' club, because I fucking loved this book. A good reminder to always try things out for yourself to see what you think.

The pacing and more introspective heroine will likely be issues for some readers (and I fully admit that I think this would have worked better as pure historical fantasy, rather than middle-ages-in-this-weird-future-time period), but I can tell you that these were not problems for me at all, being that I devoure
Regan
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it!
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
so. good. just wow, i have no words to describe how awesome this book was.
Anne
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
$1.99 today on Amazon!

Definitely one of the Top 10 of my 2014 favorites!
Word of warning, though...
I'm seeing tons of 1 star reviews. Evidently, this is one of those Love it or Hate It books. I've pawed over the other reviews, and I'm honestly not connecting with any of the other reviewers' problems with this one.
I didn't think the heroine had low self-esteem.
I didn't think parts of it were far-fetched or full of plot holes.
I didn't think it resembled other books (maybe because I haven't read th
Christine Riccio
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Really interesting plot, but went a little slow for me! Here's my full booktalk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DtCU...
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
For the most part I enjoyed this story. I think it was a solid start to this series, but I do feel like it was missing something. I'm interested to see where this trilogy goes!
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, fantasy, adult
This was super intense and super enjoyable!
manda
28 Feb '14
blog | goodreads
Disclaimer: This is a review of an uncorrected Advanced Reader Copy.

Long rant ahead, folks. Don't say I didn't warn you.

So some time in the future of earth, when the world has gotten so messed up and irredeemable, a man named William Tear gathered up his people along with doctors, scientists, and other citizens of some value, and took them on a huge boat.

With the intention of building a new democratic civilization founded on world order and... socialism(?) William Tea
Katerina
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
“You win your people or you lose your throne.”

Fantasy.Adventure.Politics.Plots.War.Magic.Outlaws.Corrupted priests.Betrayal.And a young,plain girl in between.You've gotta love The Queen of the Tearling!

“The shipment nears,the cages fill,
A voice rings out across the Tear,
The cages burn,the Keep Lawn still,
The Tearling weeps,the Queen is here.”

Kelsea was raised by the Glynns,hiden away from her ambitious uncle and the Red Queen in a desperate effort to keep her alive so that she would clai
Pouting Always
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a long one and I spent all day today reading it and wow I'm so upset that it's over and if I didn't have such a ridiculous amount of books already I would buy the sequel and read it now. I've seen a lot of people reading the third one so I'm not sure how many people haven't read this one or aren't familiar with it, but the book is about Kelsea who was hidden away as a child for her own safety and is now being taken back to the kingdom to reclaim her thrown. The writing unfolded slowly a ...more
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Jul 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Buddy read with the bombastic Figgy! I'd also like to dedicate this review to her, because without her support and lovin', I sincerely believe I'd be in a boredom-induced coma.

I received this book in the Goodreads First Read giveaway.

And because of that, I can safely say I'm glad I didn't spend any money on this. This is the most boring, dumb, confusing book I have read so far this year, and I've read a lot of boring, dumb and confusing books.

For the record, when someone gives me a book and tell
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

First and foremost, you need to know that The Queen of the Tearling is NOT a YA Fantasy. As far as I can tell, HarperCollins is not marketing the book that way, but when I read this, "Young Adult" was listed as the second shelf on the Goodreads' genre list (which of course means that Goodreads users are labeling it that way), but it absolutely isn't--Kelsea, the MC, is 19 y.o. and an adult, there is language that at times borders the obscene, and there are circumstances a
Bookdragon Sean
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, y-a, 2-star-reads
Don’t you just hate book labels?

Many other reviews seem to centre on the point that this is labelled as a cross between The Hunger Games and A Game of Thrones. I’m just absolutely sick of hearing such things. Anybody who has read more than ten pages of either will realise the statement is completely untrue. It’s quite an annoying comparison. Certainly, you could say it’s like The Hunger Games insomuch that it has a female character as the protagonist. Such a parallel isn’t it? And I suppose you
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
(2/5/17)
After this reread, I definitely have to bump up my rating to a full 5 stars. Kelsea is one of my all-time favorite characters, and I have spent so long over the last few days gushing about how much I love every part of this book. The character development: amazing. The world: original and fantastic. The political elements: EVERYTHING I WANT IN POLITICAL FANTASY.

I could honestly gush for hours about this book. I can't wait to finish the series.

(11/13/15)
4.5/5
Absolutely fantastic, I des
Nasom
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian, fantasy
I decided to read this on a whim even though I had no idea what it was about, and I really loved it!!!!

The mark of a true hero is that the most heroic of his deeds is done in secret. We never hear of it. And yet somehow, my friends, we know

What I liked

- Although this isn’t high fantasy, it read like a high fantasy book, and I think that is why some people found it boring. It was mostly planning and plotting but I never found it boring for some reason. There were also some action parts thoug
Will M.
After 6 months, I've finally found a novel worthy of 5 stars. It took me that long to finally get out of the dreaded reading slump. It should've been obvious though, because one of the options to get out of the slump is to go back to your roots. My roots being Fantasy. I shouldn't have looked elsewhere.

There is a bit of a story when it comes to why I bought and eventually read this novel. Let me try to keep things short though so that I can jump in to the review.

I was having a normal day, brows
Steph Sinclair
Well, this was terrible. I hated everything but the cover.

I’m proud of myself for finishing this The Queen of the Tearling even though it’s turned out to be one of my most disappointing reads this year. HarperCollins was really pushing this title marking-wise, and while it’s not considered YA, they did offer it to quite a few YA bloggers for consideration for review. I had to be the special person to request it. I wish I hadn’t have done that.

The Queen of the Tearling tried to do a lot of things
Simona Bartolotta
"We don't always choose, Majesty. We simply make the best choices we can once the deed is done."

•I'll start with the bad because yes, I am that obnoxious. The book is set in this kingdom, the Tearling, which, along with other kingdoms and empires, was born and grew on a previously unknown land after the so-called Crossing. We are told very little about this event: we only know, basically, that said Crossing was made by the Americans, and that some bits of the late America's culture still last. M
Cait • A Page with a View
I really like the book's potential, but wasn't that into the actual story.

Everything was just SO PAINFULLY SLOW. I called this book a DNF earlier this year because it just wasn't going anywhere. Nothing was bad... it was just boring. I'm glad I finished it now because the second book seems like it will be interesting, but the pacing really never picked up. Like they spend the first 1/3 of the book just... traveling. And then more standing around and thinking ensues. SO MUCH USELESS DESCRIPTION.
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
Edit : 25/12/2017 : I have a copy of the second book but I have no interest in reading it. So I'll just abandon it.

3.5 Stars rounded down to 3 Stars

When Kelsea Raleigh was a baby, She was smuggled out from the palace for her own safety and since then she was fostered by two servants who pledged their lives to raise her and protect her until she claimed her throne.
when she was 3 year old her mother, Queen Elyssa Raleigh died and Kelsea's uncle, Thomas Raleigh was in charge since then.
sixteen y
Mohammed Arabey
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I, as Emma Watson also said, devoured it in less than a week, couldn’t put the bloody thing down..,

I wanted to end it, yet for me, for a different reason.
Like her, I couldn't hate it, but can't love it either..

They called it "Feminist Alternative To 'Game Of Thrones'"!!
Come on, it's a "Mini-Game of A Throne" full of feminism, Rant, and even out-cursed GOT.

The Story
A Queen is back when she's turned 19...She must claim her Throne from her evil Uncle/Regent..
She must look for her Kingdom, The T
Vane J.
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm warning you: This is a rage rant.

Let me present you the future:

No, really. That's the future according to this book – I'm not shitting you. Our future is a freaking Medieval town.

Kelsea was raised alone with two guardians. She believes herself plain and ugly and totally unimportant. Tunrs out she's a special snowflake: She's the long-lost heir of the Tearling. Now she's the queen and she's getting back to “civilization.” (haha, what civilization?)

The synopsis didn't cat
Faye, la Patata
This book has rendered me speechless. Oh, my bloody god. If you could see me now, I'm already having withdrawals, because the moment I finished, the first thing I blurted out was, "I need book two. STAT."

I avoided this book like the plague. Shortly before its release, one star reviews were popping out left and right, many from my trusted friends who share the same likes and dislikes as me. Because of that, I didn't want to read it. It was absolutely at the bottom of my TBR, but the other day, I
Misstdennis
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5000/5 stars

“The Queen held up her hands for silence. At that moment, Javel knew for certain that she truly was the Queen, though he never knew why or how he knew.”

Holy shit. That was the most beautiful thing I've read in such a long time.
How is it possible that my heart feels broken and whole at the same time?
My eyes wont stop watering yet I can't help but smile like a Cheshire Cat.

I had put this book off for so long and I'm kicking myself for not picking this up sooner!
Seriously Taylor, what t
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔
First things first, more Fetch please.

Review also found at the Dust Off Your MacHalo blog.

Here we have a book that dares to cross genres. It’s a fantasy/dystopian blend that is mostly-vague about the origin details. We know there was a world very similar to ours, same country names, technology, books, and culture. Then, “something happened” in an event known as The Crossing and we lost technology, electricity, advanced medicine, and were reduced to living in a world with torches, swords, archery
Maureen
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it

I really enjoyed this book! The concept was great though it wasn't without its problems. Full review to come soon :)
Nick T. Borrelli
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad that I don't weigh other people's reviews heavily when I decide whether or not I am going to read a book. If I had, I probably would have never tried this series. As it happens, what I discovered was a deep, complex, interesting, and engaging post-apocalypse fantasy that I flew through in four days. It also shattered my expectations and made me want to immediately start book 3. Erika Johansen is one heck of a writer and I am anxious to see where she takes this series. Reading an int ...more
Fantastic Books a...: May 9 5 May 30, 2018 09:46AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Queen of the Tearling Series by Erika Johansen - Restarting April 19th 2018 157 246 Apr 30, 2018 04:32PM
The Left-Overs: The Queen of the Tearling series 2 16 Dec 28, 2017 12:10PM
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • The Ring and the Crown (The Ring and the Crown, #1)
  • Endsinger (The Lotus Wars, #3)
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
  • Empire of Shadows (Bhinian Empire, #2)
  • The Glass Sentence (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #1)
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • Salvage
  • Illusions of Fate
  • Avalon (Avalon, #1)
  • Daughters of Ruin
  • The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight, #1)
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
  • The Inventor's Secret (The Inventor's Secret #1)
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Hope and Red (Empire of Storms, #1)
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)

The Queen of the Tearling (3 books)
  • The Invasion of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #2)
  • The Fate of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Even a book can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and when that happens, you blame the hands, but you also read the book.” 399 likes
“Carlin often said that history was everything, for it was in man’s nature to make the same mistakes over and over.” 115 likes