Start by marking “Whispers from the Abyss” as Want to Read:
Whispers from the Abyss

Read Book

Whispers from the Abyss

(Whispers from the Abyss #1)

On the subway, during lunch, or even under the fluorescent glow of your cubical—there is no escape! Now your slow descent into madness can follow you through the day, as well as the night. The WHISPERS FROM THE ABYSS ANTHOLOGY is the first ever H.P. Lovecraft inspired collection created specifically for readers on the go. All 33 spine-chilling tales are concentrated bites ...more
Published October 11th 2013 by 01 Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Whispers from the Abyss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers from the Abyss

Start your review of Whispers from the Abyss
Dan Schwent
Whispers from the Abyss is a collection of 33 tales inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

When Kat Rocha hit me up on twitter about Whispers of the Abyss 2, I checked out the lineup and plunked down my money, receiving this one as well in the bargain.

It seems everyone and their Deep One cousin puts out a Lovecraftian anthology these days. The thing that separates Whispers from the Abyss from the squamous pack is that the tales are pretty short, 2-10 pages, designed to be swallowed whole in a
David Watson
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
01 publishing has more than one book that is inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Whispers From The Abyss is an anthology edited by Kat Rocha that contains 33 stories that were influenced by Lovecraft. I have to admit that I haven’t read a lot of Lovecraft but being a horror fan I still enjoyed a lot of the stories in this book. What really surprised me was how different all the stories were.

Not all the stories here were gems but there was some good ones including Death Wore Greasepaint by J
Nick Nafpliotis
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one was really hit or miss with a few gems here and there. But then you get to the last story, 'Death Wore Greasepaint' by Josh Finney, andthat's a whole other level of good.

I've never read anything by the guy before, but that's one of the scariest short stories I've ever read. Worth a star on the rating by itself.
Nick
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of short horror fiction, Lovecraftian fiction
The mythology borne of the dark imagination of American author H.P. Lovecraft, known as the “Cthulu Mythos”, has made an indelible mark on the horror and fantasy genres. While widespread fame did not arrive until after Lovecraft’s death in 1937, his legacy is continued by emerging and established authors.
Even the likes of Stephen King, in his short story N., have referenced and depicted the tentacle-faced “Great Old One” Cthulu and his return from the depths of the ocean. Throughout the work of
Tarl
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lovecraftian, horror
A collection of short lovecraftian/mythos stories, Rocha promises us a bunch of rapid fire stories that will chill us no matter where we are reading the book.

And there's a lot of them. I actually didn't realize how many stories were in this collection until after the first four or so stories and realizing that they were only a couple pages long each. Because of there being so many, I won't go into detail with each story, but rather will review the anthology as a whole.

Rocha has collected a lot o
Jaffa Kintigh
This anthology solidly delivers an array of Lovecraft inspired tales. Accordingly, horror and the supernatural permeate the collection, though humor and historical fiction are well represented, too. Thankfully, most tales share a fresh perspective rising above mere Lovecraft fan fiction. The best of the bunch carve their own path through the mythos to great effect.

I've separately reviewed and rated each of the collection's component stories, giving top honors and 5 stars to Erica Satifka's "You
Gavin
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it
I've posted mini reviews/comments on each short via Twitter (@gjkendall).

Search for #WhispersFromTheAbyss to get the run through.

I will say this was an enjoyable collection that relied more on imagery than out and out storytelling. That's no bad thing but those that want stories may be a little disappointed.

Saying that, the two strongest entries to the anthology were superb stories.

Firstly, an author I'm not familiar with, Josh Finney, knocked it out the park with Death Wore Greasepaint and seco
Netanella
As a set of 33 modern Lovecraftian horror tales, Whispers from the Abyss is better than most of the collections I've read recently. There are a few stories that delved into the realm of WTFery, but these were blessedly in the minority.

There were, however, some stellar stories that made this collection stand out from the rest. "Iden-Inshi" by Greg Stolze, opens the book with a tale of illicit biomedical research for North Korean kidnappers. You know it can't end well. "Nation of Disease: The Ris
Hal Bodner
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I hate Lovecraft. I really, really do. Though I've often tried, I've never been able to wade through even a single one of his short stories from beginning to end without tossing the book aside. That being said, I'm amazed that I enjoyed WHISPERS OF THE ABYSS, an anthology that was inspired by Lovecraft's work.

With one, lonely exception (which I shan't distinguish by name) all of the stories in this volume are good. In fact, some of them are VERY good. Even better, you don't have to be a fan of L
Alex
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This collection of short fiction inspired by Lovecraft’s mythos is good, solid fun and a worthwhile investment of your time. As with most anthologies, few readers will be amazed by all the stories, but everyone will find something that whispers to them in the dark. The first one that started the muttering in my ear is “Nation of Disease: The Rise and Fall of a Canadian Legend” by Jonathan Sharp. I have a distinct love for Industrial and a passing appreciation for Noise. I can absolutely see band ...more
Dave Versace
A very uneven collection of modern Cthulhu Mythos short stories. It contains some outstanding stories - Nick Mamatas' 'Hideous Interview with BriefMan' is one of the best pieces of short fiction I've read in the last couple of years; the opening piece of diarised horror by Greg Stolze 'Iden-Inshi' is excellent; and I had a special fondness for the H.P. Lovecraft/Hunter S. Thompson mashup 'Fear and Loathing in Innsmouth: Richard Nixon's Revenge'. A few others are almost as good, and as you would ...more
Alex Neilson
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some quite excellent short stories, some less good. Very good over all.
Danforth Spitzer
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cosmic-horror
Whispers from the Abyss: Volume One is a wonderful anthology of dark fiction/horror based in the shared literary world of HP Lovecraft, know that first.
This anthology is a marvelous collection of weird fiction, some of it of a violent brutal nature. Some of it told in a clever manner as a series of text messages, or the classic gothic/lovecraftian journal entry trope. Stories of fish people, ancient gods and extradimensional space aboud. This is a wonderful read. I highly recommend this ebook.
Tone
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-fiction
This is a brilliant idea for a Lovecraft Mythos collection, mostly flash fiction. I don't think anything in here is longer than ten pages, just enough space to show off whatever variation on the mythos the author had in mind, without having to pad it out with character arcs or plot. Neither of which were Lovecraft's strong suits.
Also, it's a great commuter book. I ride the bus to work and had never had to stop mid-story.
Book lover
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This anthology delivered what it promised and more. Each unique tale brings to life its own version of H.P Lovecraft mythos. All the stories maintained their originality that would appeal to non Lovecraft fans as well. I recommend this read to people who like their stories a little weird. This book I not for the squeamish.
C.L. Phillips
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: collections, horror
Better than many other anthologies. A lot of mediocre stories with a sprinkling of pretty good stuff. Too many typos and errors throughout. This is common in anthologies, I've noticed.
With that said, there are some of these stories I will read again, but for most of them, once was plenty.
Ross Holmes
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Like almost all modern anthologies of Lovecraft Mythos stories, this is a very mixed bag. Most of the stories were entertaining enough to hold my interest without provoking any sort of strong reaction. Some were truly interesting. A handful were so bad that I felt robbed of the time I spent reading them, even when that was only ten minutes.

As far as the latter stories are concerned, I get the feeling that the editing standards for this collection were not particularly high. I see no reason why "
Gavin
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of "meh", in this collection. I'm struck by the continued injustice of Moreno-Garcia and Stolze's relative obscurity, as everything they write is reliably terrific.

A lot of authors don't seem to realise if you're going Short short fiction you can't do a classical beginning middle and end affair without it all seeming comically rushed.
Jordan Anderson
This anthology is ok. It's better than some and worse than others. When it comes to the whole Lovecraft thing, it holds up on its own, but not very tall when compared to better collections like "World War Cthulhu" or "The Book of Cthulhu".

I don't know how many stories there were here, but most of them were just so-so. Never really bad, but never really all that good. At best they were standard but forgettable. Although, thankfully, none ever took very long to read.

"When Death Wore Greasepaint",
Patrick O'Duffy
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
A disappointing collection of stories that mostly use Lovecraft's tropes and ideas to no great effect.

So many of these stories follow the same pattern - regular person encounters the Mythos and is quickly killed/driven mad/changed. There's no tension or uncertainty to draw you in, none of the suspense and invention that made Lovecraft's fiction work in the first place - just lots of fish men and repetition of FTAGN.

That said, there are several good stories in here - those by Greg Stolze, Nick M
Daniel Cloutier
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sehr kurzweilige Anthologie von Lovecraft inspirierten Kurzgeschichten, mit angrnehmer Bandbreite zwischen wenigen Seiten (im Extremfall sogar nur ein Tweet) und ganz am Ende einer Novelette. Letztere war in in ihrer anarchich-derb-humorigen Art mein Highlight. Einige Geschichten waren wir immer bei so Sammlungen schwach, zwei oder drei hatten nichts mit Lovecraft zu tun, aber insgesamt eine starke Auswahl.
Carlos
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable collection with some real gems, though two of the stories were marked by unfortunate contempt for rural working-class whites.
Galleywampus -
May 06, 2015
Sara Elizabeth
Feb 28, 2018
Brandon Barrows
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Droydicus Malojan

• Army Of Darkness: Ash In Space
  • Army Of Darkness: Ash Gets Hitched
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 5: Magic Bus
  • Imaginary Drugs
  • Drive (The Expanse, #2.6)
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies Issue #245
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies Issue #246, Special Double-Issue for BCS Science-Fantasy Month 4
  • The Butcher of Anderson Station (The Expanse, #1.5)
  • La Fille de Vercingétorix (Astérix, #38)
  • Gods of Risk (The Expanse, #2.5)
  • Ringworld (Ringworld, #1)
  • Java by Comparison: Become a Java Craftsman in 70 Examples
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
Creator, Entrepreneur

Kat began her publishing career as a collaborating artist on such projects as UTOPIATES, a CATWOMAN story for BATMAN 80pg GIANT for DC Comics and TITANIUM RAIN. She produced numerous concept designs for Spartan Games and has had work featured in Interzone magazine. She began her own comic series entitled LD30: The Adventures of a Swinging Robot in 2010.

In 2011 Kat founded 01Pu

Whispers from the Abyss (2 books)
  • Whispers From The Abyss 2: The Horrors That Were and Shall Be

News & Interviews

“Centers of trade and colonialism—which tend to develop near large bodies of water for reasons both obvious and occulted—tend toward the polylingual and toward the development of pidgins (generally "simple" languages that develop when adults lack a common language with which to communicate) and, later, creoles (stable languages that evolve from intergenerational transmission of pidgins).” 0 likes