Start by marking “Between the Devil and Ian Eversea (Pennyroyal Green, #9)” as Want to Read:
Between the Devil and Ian Eversea (Pennyroyal Green, #9)

Between the Devil and Ian Eversea

(Pennyroyal Green #9)

She might look like an angel...

The moment orphaned American heiress Titania “Tansy” Danforth arrives on English shores she cuts a swath through Sussex, enslaving hearts and stealing beaux. She knows she's destined for a spectacular titled marriage—but the only man who fascinates her couldn't be more infamous...or less interested.

...but it takes a devil to know one...

A
Published March 25th 2014 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Between the Devil and Ian Eversea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between the Devil and Ian Eversea

Jilly
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh hell to the no!
Hello, my name's Jilly, and I'm a masochist.
*now you say:* Hello, Jilly!

I stayed up till 5:30 am reading a book that was so stupid that I know that I would just lay in bed seething if I don't write out my rant-review and lay this puppy to rest before even trying.

Why am I so pissed off? Let's start with the easy stuff: The heroine, Tansy, and the hero, Ian, are both assholes. Vapid, vain, game-playing assholes.

She flirts with every male she comes across and immediately hates any
Heidi Hart
Toxic Heroine, Manwhore Hero, a Little Casual Racism Thrown In For Good Measure... I have enjoyed what I've read so far of Julie Anne Long's Pennyroyal Green series, but Between the Devil and Ian Eversea really didn't work for me. I formed a visceral dislike of the heroine--well, both main characters, really, but mostly the heroine--very early on, and it took most of the book for me to overcome that animus enough to root for her happy ever after.

Titania "Tansy" Danforth is an orphaned American
Racquel
Edit: Just as amazing as I knew it would be!!! I loved Tansy, and Ian of course.

I love the entire series and I've enjoyed every single book but here's where the books stand:
1. What I Did For a Duke
2. Like No Other Lover and How the Marquess Was Won and It Happened One Midnight and Between the Devil and Ian Eversea
3. A Notorious Countess Confesses
4. Since the Surrender
5. I Kissed an Earl
6. The Perils of Pleasure

I know I shouldn't have 4 books in 2nd place but that is a testament of the books' ama
Iliada
Unfortunately, I don't have time to write a review, but JAL is such a great author! I'll never stop saying that. I've said in the past that I have a special rating for Lisa Kleypas's books, which means that a 4-star LK book is like a 5-star book by any other author. I realise that it's the same with JAL. This has been such a lovely book and a really wonderful reading experience! But I know JAL can do -and has, in fact, done- even better than this, hence the 4-star rating. Now I have no books lef ...more
Dina
3 1/2 stars (rounded down to 3 stars, because I couldn't stand Tansy for the first 2/3 of the story)
Beanbag Love
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the first half of the book I really didn't like the heroine. Of course I knew she'd been through terrible loss and there should be sympathy, but her POV was so shallow. She puts forth a vapid personality to others, but we don't get much better from her inner thoughts. Later we see more of the real her and she's much more likable, but it's a tough slog if you don't trust this author. I do happen to trust Julie Anne Long, so it was ultimately worth it.

This book reminded me a lot of book two in
LuvGirl
It took me a while to finish this book as I wasn't enjoying it as much in the beginning. The heroine came off as being too immature for my taste and I couldn't see a man like Ian falling for her. I gave it a break for a while and just decided to pick it back up.Luckily it all came together nicely and their relationship and banter started growing on me. I appreciated the fact that Ian also took time to fall for Tansy and wasn't smitten by her right away like all the other men. It made the coming ...more
Caz
Dabney and I did a Pandora's Box at All About Romance on this one here.

I haven’t read all the books in this series (so far) but I really enjoyed the one before this (It Happened One Midnight) and gave it 4.5 stars.

I was looking forward to a similar experience with Between the Devil and Ian Eversea, but unfortunately, I came away from it feeling a little disappointed.

That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the book – I did. There is plenty of humour in the exchanges between the hero and heroine and be
ARomanceLover
When Tansy comes to Sussex she wants to settle down, preferably with a duke. Ian Eversea wants to leave Sussex and travel the world. Their story of coming together and falling in love is beautifully written and executed by Julie Anne Long. I actually cried when they were sure to be parted and laughed many more times throughout the book. Of course there is a shocking development with Olivia Eversea and I can't wait to see how Julie unravels that story. Definitely another spectacular addition to t ...more
Manda Collins
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Loretta Chase, Eloisa James, Julia Quinn
Utterly sigh worthy. Made me laugh and cry. Definitely worth the wait.
Tin
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Disclosure: I received this ARC through Edelweiss. Thank you to Julie Anne Long and to Avon for the opportunity. Yes, this is an honest review.

* * *

I had to rewrite this review because I wasn't quite satisfied with what I had written the first time. There was one question that stayed with me when I was reading Julie Anne Long's latest instalment in her Pennyroyal Green series: Who is Tansy Danforth?

It amazes me how well Julie Anne Long has maintained the "freshness" of her series by injecting it
Megan
Amanda
UGH.

It took everything in me to finish this book. I just could not find one honest to good thing I liked about it. Julie Anne Long’s prose and the appearances of past characters were not enough to save me from utter boredom.

I knew Ian would be a self centered douche due to his previous actions in What I Did For a Duke and he was utterly unchanged here. Tansy wasn’t much better. I just could not connect with her. Their supposed motivations and reasons behind their actions were so paper thin that
Melanie
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m still deliberating with myself why I didn’t love this story. This series started off with a bang, literally and figuratively. But as the series moves on, I find myself loving, liking and “meh” the stories that came after that first book.

We met Ian early on in the series and he was a bad boy that was still likable and I wondered about the heroine that would have the task to “reform” him and set him on the right path. That heroine needed to be made of stern stuff, and what I got was a brat tha
Coral
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was kind of disappointed with this one. The first few books in the series were average but the last few ones no. 6-8 were great reads and I was hoping the momentum stayed the same. I wasn't able to connect with both the lead characters and it seemed they had like a personality transplant in the 2nd half of the book. I love the ending however I'm not surprised if readers get frustrated at the lead characters in the beginning of the book.
Kate
2.5 stars. The second half was significantly better than the first, but once again this felt sloppily edited. Entire verbatim repeated sentences within paragraphs of each other, repeated words, and sentences with four or five and clauses.

Proper review to come.
Angie
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
Glimpses of Falconbridge and Genevieve? A++

The rest? Meh. I start to glaze over when literally everyone in town is instantly besotted by a beautiful stranger.

And Ian? You are truly my least favorite Eversea. I mean, it's possible I am permanently prejudiced on Alex's behalf. Just maybe. Nevertheless. I still feel like Tansy deserved better.
AerinLuvs
Erotic Scenes descriptiveness: 5 stars
Erotic Scenes frequency: 4 stars
Emotional Arc rating: 5 stars
Denouement: 5 stars

This is the very enjoyable 9th installment in the Pennyroyal Green series. If there is one book that you should probably read before this one, it would be What I Did For a Duke. Many beloved Evers
Amy
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barely four stars for this new Pennyroyal Green novel but solidly.

Tatiana Danforth has returned to the land of her birth after the death of her parents and brother so that the Duke of Falconbridge can assist her in finding a suitable husband, preferably a duke. She’s a beauty, indeed, and manages to charm every man she meets, except one. Is he immune to her charms or so like her that he knows what she’s truly about?

Ian Eversea is no fool when it comes to women, even though he doesn’t always mak
Kelly_Instalove
Loved the story much more than Jonathan's book, but the absolutely glaring and appalling editing gaffe is the one thing that I will remember most about this title.

PREPOSITIONS ARE *~*NOT*~* THE SAME AS POSSESSIVE PRONOUNS. There's NO excuse for that. None. Sheesh.
SidneyKay
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
Maya
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kissy-kissy
Nothing inherently bad with this book. It was simply boring throughout.
Carole
Heroine is soooo annoying. DNF'd - just could not get into it with her as the main character. Toasted from my Ebook Library.
Marilyn Rondeau
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Titania “Tansy” Danforth appeared to have everything! The poor little orphan was blessed with dazzling beauty, amazing wealth, intelligence, and wit. Becoming the ward of the Duke of Falconbridge she knows she will be destined to be married to a spectacular title. However, the only man she’s met who has truly gotten her attention and isn’t one of the swarm of eligibles kneeling at her feet is the man most likely her guardian, the Duke of Falconbridge is sure to keep her away from!

It doesn’t
Minna
Uuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhh Julie Anne Long, you're killing me. Someone as talented as you, with such a gift for witty dialogue and hilarious situations, who uses such generous dollops of characterization, and whose books I generally fall over myself to get hold of, should SURELY have been able to do better than Tansy.

Titania "Tansy" ("Titsy") Danforth, AKA the heroine of this book, is the kind of woman who will go through life with no female friends except for those forced by familial obligation to
The Lusty Literate
4 Stars | (Some) Hot Steam

I simply treasure Julie Anne Long’s brilliantly written and always enchanting Pennyroyal Green series and couldn’t wait to read Ian and Tansy’s story. Though slow to build, I was delighted by this sweet, surprising and sultry romance.

Ian and Tansy are an entertaining and complex pair. Apart, each possesses uncommon beauty, charisma and charm enough to enslave the masses. Alone together, however, they are uncharacteristically awkward and bristly towards one another.
Cerian
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

Immediately these characters immerse you in the world of Pennyroyal Green, home of the Everseas.
Tansy arrives in Sussex after losing both her parents and her brother. The Duke of Falconbridge is now her guardian and she arrives determined to reclaim her place as Queen Bee after reigning supreme at the New York social scene. Tansy has a mask in place that hides all her vulnerability and shows the world a carefree, happy woman who charms all men....except Ian
Cecilia
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Julie Anne Long doesn't have a reputation for being particularly rigorous in the development of the "historical" aspect of the genre, but I generally find her books entertaining. This was no exception.

What I particularly liked about this book was the heroine: she's basically the 'evil other (very young) woman' that you often see - a beautiful, rich, well-connected, and manipulative attention-seeker. However, she's not really evil; there's genuine kindness behind some of the actions that earn her
kreekree
As another reviewer mentioned, the second half of the book was definitely better than the first half. The heroine, Tansy, is portrayed as a woman who goes around breaking hearts without a thought. The problem, I feel, is that the author took too long to endear us to Tansy and give us a sort of explanation as to why she was behaving that way. The author even didn't have to give us an explanation so much as "hints" as to Tansy's turmoil, despite the fact that we were in Tansy's head a lot of the t ...more
Barbara
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In yet another delightful addition to the Pennyroyal Green series, we have the young and beautiful American heiress Titania Danforth arriving in England where her guardian, the Duke of Falconbridge, will find her a suitable husband, and the unrepentant rogue, Ian Eversea, who just happens to occupy the bedroom next door. There can only be numerous complications from this situation, and it was a delight to see them all play out. Of course Ian isn’t the Duke’s favorite brother-in-law, so there’s t ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Feb 27, 2015 10:37AM
  • The Duke of Dark Desires (The Wild Quartet, #4)
  • My Beautiful Enemy (The Heart of Blade Duology #2)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston Book 1)
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • The Captive (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • One Naughty Night (The Scandalous St. Claires, #1)
  • Rogue Spy (Spymasters #5)
  • The Duke and the Lady in Red (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #3)
  • Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Tempting Bella (Accidental Peers, #2)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6)
  • The Marigold Chain
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it ...more

Pennyroyal Green (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
  • The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)
“The message was sealed with a blob of wax but no press of a signet. She slid a finger beneath to crack the seal, and read: I apologize if I’ve ever behaved like an ass.

It was the most romantic message she’d ever received. All other messages would strive to live up to it for the rest of her days. She was convinced of that in the moment.”
7 likes
“Not every man will make you want to do anything he wishes because the moment he touches you your body is his to command. Not every man is capable of making you scream with bliss in every imaginable position, or knows where to touch you or listens to your breath and your sighs to know precisely how to touch you, so that the pleasure you experience is the most intense. Not every man will make you see stars every ...single... time.” 2 likes