Start by marking “Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)” as Want to Read:
Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)

Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  21,167 Ratings  ·  2,414 Reviews
In the first in Tessa Dare's captivating Castles Ever After series, a mysterious fortress is the setting for an unlikely love . . .

As the daughter of a famed author, Isolde Ophelia Goodnight grew up on tales of brave knights and fair maidens. She never doubted romance would be in her future, too. The storybooks offered endless possibilities.

And as she grew older, Izzy cros
Published January 28th 2014 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Romancing the Duke, please sign up.
BJ This is a safe author and this book in particular is just charming. The H is deliciously grumpy and he just loses his mind when he falls in love with…moreThis is a safe author and this book in particular is just charming. The H is deliciously grumpy and he just loses his mind when he falls in love with the h. He becomes her knight in shining armour. There are sweet loves scenes, no smut here, just true love. (less)
Chelsea So far there's been no tie-ins with the other books, so I don't think we should hold our breath. =( Maybe there will be a final volume where all the…moreSo far there's been no tie-ins with the other books, so I don't think we should hold our breath. =( Maybe there will be a final volume where all the goddaughters meet each other, but I don't think we'll see much of them overall.(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
...and Khanh's heart grew three sizes that day.

This book makes me smile. It left me with a goofy grin and eyes misted over with stupid unshed tears. It makes me want to believe in starlit kisses, in moonlit romance. It makes me want my own fairy tale.

Goddamn it. This book was just too fucking cute.

Yes, I realize that the cursing is completely uncalled for!! Let me curse!! I need an element of foulness in order to retain the vestiges of my usual anger and bitterness. This book has left me a silly
Navessa
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I honestly don't even know if I can be trusted to seriously rate historical romances. Mostly because where certain trends and tropes seriously piss me off in EVERY SINGLE OTHER GENRE, in HR...

In fact, I actually look forward to certain HR tropes. They're like mental check boxes, and the more of them are checked off, the higher I'm likely to rate the book.

Take this book. It had witty banter, hilarious moments, a disheveled duke, a virginal yet non-prudish female lead, hate to love relat
Jill
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Release the ermine!"

description

Isolde (Izzy) Ophelia Goodnight. Motherless. Fatherless. Homeless. Penniless. Friendless. Plain, twenty-six year-old Izzy, who has never been kissed let alone courted, inherits Gostley Castle. With her pet ermine and little else, she travels to Northumberland to seize inherit the castle.

When she arrives she's surprised to find Ransom, Duke of Rothbury (and former owner) still in residence. Seven months ago, thirty year-old Ransom was injured in the face in a duel and has bee
Anne
Wanna read a story about a moody blind guy who pushes everyone away from him?

description

Scarred heroes aren't my thing. They tend to be angry pricks, and I'm just not turned on by mopey and/or dark dudes.
Guess I'm just funny like that...
However, humorous historical romances with plucky heroines are my thing, and that's what made Romancing the Duke a big win for me!

description

This story? Well, it's filled to the brim with stuff that I hate.
Handsome blind hero and plain/ugly duckling woman..
Hero is physically & em
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4.5 Goodnight Stars

Romancing the Duke is my first Tessa Dare book and I loved it. I really enjoyed her writing style. Her hero Ransom was a foul mouth, damaged, sexy, asshole. The heroine Izzy was a funny, spunky, outgoing woman that I couldn't help but love and root for. Ransom and Izzy had a cute romance and the smexy time was hot! I laughed a lot while reading this book. I love any book that can make me laugh! I loved the plot and I loved the ending. I am so glad I give this book a change an
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
*melts into a puddle on the floor* smutathon is off to a GREAT start 🤤
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

I will always credit Tessa Dare as the author who got me hooked on historical romance. If it wasn't for her Spindle Cove series, I might have gone the rest of my life thinking that historical romances were not for me. How VERY wrong I was!

I listened to this book on audio, and I shelled out big bucks for it, something I rarely do. However, I listened to all of the Spindle Cove books and feel totally in LOVE and so I didn't want to ruin a good trend.

The narrator of this book was Carmen
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
07/01 : LAST WEEK OF THE YEAR = In need of laughs/smiles/swoon = Reread of Izzie's story! Verdict? EVEN BETTER! Still 4.5 stars but I round up at 5.

After reading a crappy romance : anti stalker effect guaranteed! Meet Ransom-the-hilarious-grinch instead :p

“For God’s sake. Don’t do that.”
“Don’t do what?”
“Smile.”
“How do you know I’m smiling?”
“I can hear it. Hell, I can feel it. It’s all warm and sweet and . . .” He scowled. “Bah.”

BAHAHAHAHA. I loved him even more the second time around
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog

Review at Of Pens and Pages.

Romancing the Duke was a fun hate-to-love read with a bit of a Beauty and the Beast feel to it. It was whimsical, entertaining, and romantic to the core. Definitely not your conventional pair either. Here we have a flawed man and a woman immortalized by her father's stories.

Isolde Ophelia Goodnight, made famous through the stories written by her father Sir Henry Goodnight, learned at a young age that fairytales and fiction are nothing close to reality. Left destitute
Felicia
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars for me, but it got 4 because it has some yummy steamy stuff in it. If you are intrigued by the idea of a period romance with LARPers in it? This could be your jam! We read this for Vaginal Fantasy and it was overall really enjoyed by all!
Ally
This was a re-read or in this case, I listened to it the second time around

loved it

Series: Indeed

Sexy times: Seriously, some of the best HR sexy times ever. Should win awards in my most humble of opinions.

princess

Plan on reading more by the author: Hell yes.

Synopsis
Isolde ends up penniless and hungry at the door of a castle where Duke Cranky Pants catches her when she faints. He takes her inside and treats her with love, adoration and perfect manners, NOT. Whereupon she finds out she is now the owner of said
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

5 "Bright, brilliant, life amid the ruins" stars!

There are just so many things I love about this story! There were kisses that made me smile, touches that made me tremble, starry nights that gave me goosebumps, and confessions that made me want to weep! From the first page to the last, I was swept up into this delightful, romantic, sexy story, and "Doubt not, my lady, I shall return!" for more of the Castles Ever After series!!

A copy of this story was provided by Avon Books and in return I ga
Paula

Romancing the Duke is the first installment in Tessa Dare’s newest historical romance series and… WOW! Just WOW! This is a spectacular start to another brilliant series. In my eyes, Tessa Dare can do no wrong. I’ve been enchanted by Dare’s unique, captivating writing style for some time now and she has become my go-to author for super sexy and charming historical romances.

Isolde “Izzy” Ophelia Goodnight is a twenty-six year old spinster who has never been kissed, thinks she’s an ugly duckling,
Robin (Bridge Four)
I absolutely adore books about the slightly quirky unconventionally pretty girl who becomes the object of affection for a scandalous man. I don’t care how many times I read it, there is always something about it that calls to me.

Izzy has been immortalized in stories as a child think Fred Savage in The Princess Bride. Her father wrote a selection of stories that have a huge active following the historical fiction equivalent of LARPing and Izzy remains a child to all of them even if she is twenty-
Jilly
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A young girl who is made famous by a book by her father. He gets rich off of her, but leaves her penniless. This never happens!!

okay, maybe rarely...

okay, maybe often.

Izzy is stuck in the mold that her father made for her. She has lots of fans, but they want her to be the little girl from the stories, not a grown woman. One older fan dies and leaves her a broken-down old castle because the child in the story lives in one.

Cool! A castle, right?

Maybe not so much. A couple of problems arise. First,
Nicola
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This is only my second Tessa Dare read and proves that my instant love of her writing after the first was for a reason as I loved Romancing the Duke.

description Should I address you as ‘Your Grace?’”
“I don’t see the point of it. Within a few hours, I hope you’ll refer to me as ‘That ill-mannered wretch you importuned one rainy afternoon and then never pestered again.’ ”

With a flawed, stubborn, impossible man, a very persevering, willful, funny lady and no shortage of humour, verbal sparring and
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I didn’t think anything could possibly match Tessa Dare’s fabulous Spindle Cove series but her new series, Castles Ever After, promises to be just as wonderful. The first book, ROMANCING THE DUKE is enchanting, romantic, sexy and funny and I was totally captivated from the first page to the last!

I love Tessa Dare’s writing… so rich in warmth, emotion, and humour. She brings each scene to life with such vivid imagery. This is one of my favourite descriptions:

It started to rain. Fat, heavy drops o
Mo
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it

[image error]

And as she grew older, Izzy crossed them off. One by one by one.

Ugly duckling turned swan?
Abducted by handsome highwayman?
Rescued from drudgery by charming prince?

I found it hard to get into this one. Not sure why. A new author for me. Had got get used to the
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Here's the book most of my friends praise. While it's very funny and lovely, I could not help feeling like it's a parody of the HR genre. Some things were over the top.

♥Rachel♥
So utterly delicious! The writing was beautiful, and wickedly sensual! Izzy was a thoroughly likable and determined heroine who wanted her own HEA after being immortalized as an innocent child in her father’s beloved writings. Ransom was the devilish, bad-tempered, scarred rake with a tender heart underneath all the rough and gruff. At first he wants to drive Izzy away by being rude, suggestive, and shocking. Little does he know that Izzy has dreamed of being debauched!

The banter between Izzy a
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical Romance

One of the best, wittiest historical romances I’ve read in quite a while. I loved it from start to finish! 5 utterly enjoyable, charming stars!
Sophia Triad
To be honest I am not an expert in historical romance. But I know what I like and I know what I don't like.
And this book, I liked it. I liked it a lot.
When I finished it, I had a huge smile on my face, tears in my eyes and I had difficulties landing back to reality.

...the name Isolde Ophelia Goodnight also suggested romance. Swooning, star-crossed, legendary romance. And for as long as she could remember, Izzy had been waiting—with dwindling faith and increasing impatience—for that part of her
Grecia Robles
***4 STARS ****

Este es el segundo libro que leo de la autora y uno de los muchos que voy a leer de ella, me ha encantado como escribe, con una mezcla de conversaciones ingeniosas, divertidas y con momentos de mucha sensualidad.

El libro que había leído de ella que por cierto es mi lectura anterior puso el listón muy alto por que me encantó y es que su protagonista es tan aslfisojfssjos fangirlie bastante por él, mi punto es que aunque este libro me gustó mucho no le llegó al otro.

En sí la histor
Zain Otoom
3.5 stars.
This book was just so cute! With a couple of sexy scenes as well ;)
My only complaint was how fast the relationship was moving. But other than that this was pure fun! Just what I needed to catch up with my goal for the year.
Amy (Foxy)
Romancing the Duke was a great audiobook. A good story can either be enhanced by a narrators ability to make the story pleasing to the ear or ruined by the way the narrator portrays the story. Luckily, for me, this one worked and had me listening to it in my spare time.

The story was a Beauty and the Beast, sort of, retelling which captured my curiosity. Izzy Goodnight finds herself in a castle with a wounded duke who wants nothing to do with her or the outside world. Prior to ending up in the d
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Hero - blind, scarred, recluse.

Heroine - more plain, adorable, so confident.

They meet at a ruined castle. There is adorableness. There is sexiness. There is more adorableness. There is much more dirtiness ;)

Sweet, funny, romantic, sexy.

A truly fabulous romance book.
KatLynne
4.5 Magnificent Stars!

photo dreams_zpsf2e56169.jpg

Tessa Dare has once again fed my addiction and provided an afternoon of pure delight with her first installment in the Castles Ever After series. The story centers on Isolde (Izzy) Ophelia Goodnight who grew up dreaming of knights, castles and damsels in distress. She believed in fairytales and the kind of love that leaves one swooning…..

photo 21ba9659-b823-4fab-aaa8-05544d13cc66_zps1cc605c9.jpg

However, the lessons learned from the harsh realities of life have dashed those childish dreams. Having neither friend nor family, her f
Warda
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
[4.5]
Oh gosh, this story was the cutest!

THANK YOU ZAIN FOR INTRODUCING ME TO THIS! 😍
Mei
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This is such a funny, fanny book!

I loved the main characters: Izzy and Ransom! Both of them were excellent in their own way!

Izzy, with her disillusions, with her very derogatory view of herself. But with her wit and her smarness she's very able to face everything life throws at her.

“Why must this be so mortifying? Oh, that's right. Because its my life.”

She know what she wants: her castle and she's not afraid to go against a very angry duke. She challenges him at every turn, until he's forced
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • The Captive (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston Book 1)
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellen
More about Tessa Dare

Castles Ever After (4 books)
  • Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“For God’s sake. Don’t do that.”

“Don’t do what?”

“Smile.”

“How do you know I’m smiling?”

62 likes
“Astonishing. In the morning, when she sat working at that table of correspondence, silhouetted by sunlight . . .

Her hair truly did look like an octopus.

It was the way she wore it, he thought. Or maybe the way it wore her. It all sat perched atop her head in that big, inky blob. And no matter how strenuously she pinned it, dark, heavy curls worked loose on all sides, like tentacles.

Of course, it was an entrancing, strangely erotic octopus. Ransom worried this might be how fetishes developed.”
52 likes