Start by marking “Very Wicked Things (Briarcrest Academy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Very Wicked Things (Briarcrest Academy, #2)

Very Wicked Things (Briarwood Academy #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  4,174 Ratings  ·  504 Reviews
Born on the poor side of town...

Ballerina Dovey Beckham is a scholarship student at Briarcrest Academy, determined to prove she’s more than just a girl with the wrong pedigree. She does whatever it takes to succeed in her endgame, even if it means surrendering her body…but never her heart.

Published May 13th 2014 by Little Dove Publishing (first published May 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Very Wicked Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Very Wicked Things

Alexis *Reality Bites*
REVIEW may contain mature content reader discretion is advised.
4.5 STARS out of 5
Genre: New Adult Romance
Full Review Posted on 5-8-14

photo VWTCOLLAGEFINALPIC1_zps137296a1.jpg

Cuba Hudson is famously nicknamed Hollywood by his class mates at Briarcrest Academy. His friends all think that his life is 'perfect' They have no clue. Cuba’s dream is to help people by becoming a doctor; he loves football and is well known for his position on the field. He’s all smiles and a big flirt at school yet it’s all a facade. The real Cuba lives with gui
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo FreeBlxBbysb_zps2dd6ac5d.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (3/1/2015)

BLURB:
Born on the poor side of town...

Until the day she meets him, and he rips apart all her well-laid plans. Suddenly, the girl everyone thought unbreakable might just shatter.

Born into wealth and privileg
Jessi
Apr 11, 2014 Jessi rated it really liked it
description

Cuba, star football player, class hottie and well known player, sets his sights on Dovey, a girl from the bad side of town, beautiful and shy. She is attending his private school on a dance scholarship, she doesn't fit in with the rest of the rich snobs at BA. Cuba catches sight of her and decides he must have her. The same night Dovey finally gives in and gives him her virginity, tragedy strikes Cuba and causes him to pull away and cast Dovey aside.

"I gave you my heart, and you destroyed it.
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
3.5-3.75 Stars

My emotions are all over the place - before, during and after reading this. I was extremely impressed with all the emotions I felt for Cuba and Dovey, but some parts of the story really bugged me. I'll explain more (if I can) in my upcoming review...

-------

HOLY SHIT! This is Cuba's Story. Oh yea....come to momma!

photo CubafromVeryWickedThings_zps6d0f51c1.jpg
(Photo image obtained from Ilsa Madden-Mills Facebook page)
Pearl Angeli
Sep 07, 2014 Pearl Angeli rated it did not like it
(I received an ARC of this book last year from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)

I tried so hard to like this book because of its lovely and promising synopsis. And of course, because of its gorgeous cover. I realized one thing: looks and high ratings can really deceive. The book gave me a hard time liking it. Why?

1.) There must be something wrong with the author's writing style, I could not connect with everything the book narrates.

2.) The characters, especially Cuba “Hollywood” Huds
Ilsa Madden-Mills
Oct 22, 2013 Ilsa Madden-Mills rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Releases May 12, 2014!

The PREQUEL NOVELLA is called VERY WICKED BEGINNINGS and is ON SALE for .99 cents. ALL May proceeds benefit the Keith Milano Memorial Fund!

First Excerpt from Very Wicked Things (unedited and subject to change)

Cuba’s POV
Not exactly a meet-cute…

The room closed in, making me sweat. I hadn’t talked to Dovey in over a year, and now here we were, face-to-face. Two ex-lovers who hated each other.

I had to get away from her.

She gave me a scathing glare. “Leaving so soon? Yeah, go
Jessica *The Lovely Books*

Oh my me my...

Let's see. I think we need to wait until I'm able to catch my breath. Or my heart. If you thought Very Bad Things was an emotional roller coaster, think again! I think Very Wicked Things takes the icing on the cake for that one lol.

description

From the novella we all know I loved Cuba but my second thought as soon as I started VWT was "omg he's such an asshole!!!". Don't believe me, ask Ilsa lol. All jokes aside, I thought Cuba was a huge ass.

But...

Yes, there's a but. BUT, I couldn't help bu
Kerri McLaughlin
Oct 22, 2013 Kerri McLaughlin rated it it was amazing
Ok, I am a HUGE fan of Ilsa Madden Mills. As soon as I finished her debut novel Very Bad Things I was harassing her about what was coming next. VBT was one of my top 5 reads of 2013 and i wasn't sure how she was going to top it, but she DID! Very Wicked Things exceeded my expectations. It was so different from VBT, yet I fell in love with her writing even more. Ilsa covered a very difficult topic in this story with great care. Very Wicked Things is a beautifully written, emotional, and powerful ...more
Michelle
After the tease of Very Wicked Beginnings we finally get the full story to Cuba and Dovey. I can honestly say it was nothing like I expected. We begin this story about a year after we saw Cuba notice Dovey, the wooing stage but we start off not with a happy couple, but a broken hearted girl. Dovey isn’t sure what caused Cuba to break things off or not even look her in the eyes. She thought she fell for the guy that would be her white knight. Her soulmate. But in the end, she was cast aside while ...more
Paula
Oct 23, 2013 Paula rated it it was ok

DNF... sort of. I skimmed the rest of the book starting at the 66% mark. This book just didn't work for me. :(

I felt disconnected from the characters once I hit the 40% mark. Then the chemistry between the heroine and hero started to fall flat, which made me grow bored with the story.

I really hated the fact that the hero was written as a manwhore, which is basically how the first hero in the first book was written. I wanted a different hero this time around.

Also, I had a hard time believing th
Erin
May 01, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing

VWT was beyond amazing! We get to see who Cuba and Dovey really are and I was just in awe! We go on this really emotional, heartbreaking and beautiful journey with them as they grow into themselves and figure out who they are and who they may or may not be to each other. This was a very emotional read for me. I was sucked in from the very beginning and couldn't put it down until I finished! This one had my heart and soul gripped so tight that I felt I was right there with them.

And in that mome
Kayla at MyBookMuse
Feb 25, 2014 Kayla at MyBookMuse rated it it was amazing
When we met Cuba in Very Bad Things he was the stuff that mothers warned their daughters about. Player. Heartbreaker. Manwhore. It’s not that Cuba is a bad guy, actually that is far from it. He never offers anything more than a good time. But even knowing who he is, Cuba still manages to leave broken heart-ed girls in his wake. One of those girls happens to be Dovey.

Dovey is the girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Studying at the infamous Briarcrest Academy on a scholarship, Dovey is determi
Mallory
2 stars

Have you ever read a book that you went into pretty much knowing what was going to happen, but hoping against all hope that you'll somehow end up liking it? Very Wicked Things was that book for me. I knew that Cuba was a dick and that something obviously happened to tear them apart... but I trudged on thinking I could grow to like him and this book. However, that didn't happen.

Cuba was an asshole of epic proportions. And even taking his troubled past and feelings into account, I still saw
Ali *The Black Heart*

Very Wicked Things is probably my most anticipated read of the year.  I fell in love with Ilsa Madden-Mills' writing when I read Nora and Leo's story in Very Bad Things.  She delivered heartfelt story surrounding an ultra privileged High School, that read nothing at all like a Young Adult novel. It also introduced us to numerous other characters, all deserving of much more attention.

VWT focuses on one of those characters. Cuba. A guy that came across as not much more than a complete man whore
Red Cheeks Reads
May 06, 2014 Red Cheeks Reads rated it it was amazing
To read about the characters Cuba and Dovey check out my review of Very Wicked Beginnings, the prequel novella HERE!

"Bad guys are always the prettiest, but then pretty is an understatement when it came to him. He was simply more."

I want to start this review by saying that I was completely taken by this story. Very Wicked Things had so many twist and turns that I was constantly in awe of the imagination of Ilsa Madden-Mills’ mind. I am a huge fan of the first novel in this series, Very Bad Thi
Elizabeth (Liz)
4.5 Stars!

Well, well! Ilsa Madden-Mills, I love to be surprised, and you certainly accomplished that!

Very Wicked Things is one of those stories where the reader is gifted with a taste of several genres. First and foremost, though, VWT was a second-chance-type love story about two high school seniors--wealthy, Briarcrest Academy football star, Cuba, and scholarship student/ballerina, Dovey, product of one of Dallas' worst neighborhoods. Their brief, emotional relationship during junior year was
Tantalizing
May 10, 2014 Tantalizing rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Omg! I thought Very Bad Things was emotional...wrong! Very Wicked Things, spun me round and round on a carousel of emotions.
Dovey and Cuba were together in the past and needless to say their breakup was pretty brutal. Nothing makes getting your heart broken like being humiliated in front of the entire school.

Needless to say after that the two avoided each other like the plague. Each
We like it big book blog
Oct 22, 2013 We like it big book blog rated it really liked it
Ilsa Madden-Mills

( I was provided an ARC for an HONEST review)

When I love a book, I love hard and the days that follow soon after finishing, I find myself in a book slump because I'm still hung over and unable to get past it. That's exactly what Ilsa's debut novel, Very Bad Things did to me. So when she announced that the follow-up to this series would be coming, I was booming with excitement. However, the thing about follow ups is this-- when a reader such as myself who had fallen so deeply for
The Real Housewives of Romance Book Blog
Review by Heather:

Welcome back to Briarcrest Academy folks! I could NOT WAIT for this book. To say that I loved Very Bad Things is a vast understatement. I fell in love with these kids and I fell in love with Ilsa! It is one of the BEST debut novels I have ever read and I had very high expectations for this follow-up, Very Wicked Things. I am very proud to say that Ilsa did not disappoint.

VWT is Cuba's book. Cuba is the resident bad boy. We got to know him in VBT and honestly I wasn't sure h
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
3.5 Stars

I was delighted to find that my review copy of Very Wicked Things also contained a surprise prequel novella, Very Wicked Beginnings. I absolutely loved every bit of that prequel, getting tons of insight into who Cuba and Dovey were before they met, how they grew up, their early family lives... and how their initial relationship developed. Reading that novella was crucial because Very Wicked Things opens up with Dovey and Cuba, a year after their breakup. As a reader, I was so taken with
Jen [BestSellers & BestStellars]
Very Wicked Things by lIsa Madden-Mills

Review by Jen (BestSellers & BestStellars)

Very Wicked Things was such an amazing story! It really is a great follow up to Very Wicked Beginnings. We get to see how the continuation of Cuba and Dovey’s story, after what happened in Very Wicked Beginnings. I loved reading more about Cuba and Dovey and you really get a lot more background on them in this story. There were times I laughed, cried, and then there were times I wanted to throw my kindle I was s
Nadine Hook Me Up Book Blog
Apr 17, 2014 Nadine Hook Me Up Book Blog rated it really liked it
4-4.5 Stars
What a sweet angsty story

I've actually read the whole book until this morning 4am, in 1 session, including the prequel - yeah I got 3hrs of sleep. I can honestly say that besides Jennifer L. Armentrout, Ilsa's young MC I'll def continue to read. I really enjoyed them :) Make sure you read my review for the prequel, Very Wicked Beginnings first!

Ooooh Cuba, what have you done? Why did you hurt our girl like this? It's not always the right choice pushing the people away who could actua
-Ya
May 15, 2014 -Ya marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Dnf at 31%.
Cuba was a man-whore and an asshole. The drama was just ridiculous and pissed me off. The storyline didn't work for me:(
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Apr 18, 2014 Donna ~ The Romance Cover rated it really liked it
Very Wicked Things (Briarcrest Academy #2) by Isla Madden-Mills
4 stars!!

“He was off-the-charts, no-holds-barred, freaking going to make-me-lose-my-mind-right-there, delicious. And I had no idea how to handle him. Because I was way out of my league.”

This is book two in the Briarcrest series and follows Cuba “Hollywood” Hudson and Dovey Beckham, I have to admit, I was hooked from the first till last page, this book was a page turner for me and I didn’t want to let their beautiful yet heart breakin
Carrie Richardson-horton
May 01, 2014 Carrie Richardson-horton rated it it was amazing
So the time is finally here! We get Ilsa Madden Mills second book Very Wicked Things! I was so excited about this. Her first book Very Bad Things was amazing, so I knew we were in store for another amazing read from this author.

Dovey Beckham isn't your usual rich girl from Briarcrest Academy. She's quite the opposite in every way imaginable. Dovey is there on a scholarship. As a child Dovey lived in poverty. With a prostitute for a mother and a father who never cared, or was there. Dovey's life
Nasha
Jan 04, 2014 Nasha rated it it was amazing
Are you excited?
Cause I can't way for this to be out already!

Book Gifted by the Author for honest opinion
Since I finished Very Bad Things I couldn’t wait to read either about Sebastian or Cuba, I was very exited to know more about either of them, when I found it was Cuba I got really really excited cause I really wanted to know who is this sexy guy.
When I received the book I was screaming and going all excited and immediately start reading it, to say that Ilsa blew my mind is not compared to
Tracie
Oct 22, 2013 Tracie rated it it was amazing
I totally feel in love with Dovey and her EMOTIONAL
journey that she took me on.
From everything that she goes through ,everything that she feels it is all so RAW.
Loving the ballet....and being at the B. Academy she will to learn to take the good with the bad. She will have her heart ripped apart more than once.
People aren't always what they seem and finding out what and who they are really about will prove to be a challenge for Dovey.
This is her story. Dovey will meet Hollywood . It's their sto
S.R. Grey
Jan 13, 2014 S.R. Grey marked it as to-read
I LOVE this cover!!! Can't wait to read this installment!

photo tumbiMa6msRMz7v5x_zps2d44bc9b.gif

Kim
May 16, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Denise - Shh Mom's Reading ™
Full review to come soon
Powerful w a range of emotions
  • Avarice (Alfonzo,#12)
  • All the Pieces (Pieces of Lies, #3)
  • Something like Normal (Something like Normal, #1)
  • Vol.1 (London Brown, #3.5)
  • Freed (Unlovable, #2)
  • Past Imperfect (Perfect, #2)
  • The Madam (VIP, #2)
  • Rewired (Progress, #3)
  • Fast Forward (Second Chances, #2)
  • Soul Resurrected (Sons of Wrath, #2)
  • Shadows of Deceit (Sin City Heat, #5)
  • Sex Snob
  • Nearly Mended (Nearly, #2)
  • Unbearable Guilt (Breathe Again, #2)
  • Lily of the Springs
  • Secrets Unveiled (Secrets, #2)
Wall Street Journal best selling author Ilsa Madden-Mills writes about strong heroines and sexy alpha males that sometimes you just want to slap.

She's addicted to all things fantasy, including unicorns and sword-wielding females. Other fascinations include frothy coffee beverages, dark chocolate, Ian Somerhalder, astronomy (she's a Gemini), and tattoos. She has a degree in English and a Master's i
More about Ilsa Madden-Mills...

Briarwood Academy (3 books)
  • Very Bad Things (Briarwood Academy, #1)
  • Very Twisted Things (Briarwood Academy, #3)

“The sun may be gone, but the stars are still there, waiting, always giving you light.” 3 likes
“Italian food trumps ex-boyfriends every time,” 3 likes