Start by marking “Wishing Game” as Want to Read:
Wishing Game

Wishing Game

The Earl of Westbridge is dying, and without a male heir. His daughter Mary will lose her home if she does not marry before her father passes. She has already turned down two men while holding onto the hope of finding true love. In her desperation, she plays the wishing game, a childhood folly devised to chase away fear during thunderstorms.

Avery is the unwilling heir to
Published June 6th 2016 by A.S. Fenichel (first published March 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Wishing Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wishing Game

Start your review of Wishing Game
Elaine
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant story. Sweet, no steamy bits. 3.5-4*.
Annette
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary's father is near death. He is an earl and their home, all their properties and a great deal of money are all entailed. Because there is no direct heir, the only way Mary can stay in her home is to marry and her husband can inherit the title and wealth.

Avery is a direct heir. He is a third cousin and he has never met either Mary or her father.

Mary plans to dislike him because he is a vulture. Unfortunately, he is no vulture, he is kind and charming and caring. It would be so much better if
Margaret Watkins
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Regency romance is well written and highlights the unfortunate circumstance facing women in that era, where entailed properties and titles were handed over to men, many times leaving women destitute. Mary found herself having to make a choice to either marry to ensure that she didn't lose her home, or throw herself at the mercy of relatives. Her heart longed for love and romance but a youthful betrayal had left her mistrustful of men in general. Avery is the Earl of Westbridge's heir and de ...more
Aud
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Wishing Game" by A.S. Fenichel
An easy sweet clean Regency romance read.. a short story that I thoroughly enjoyed! I was one lucky lady to receive a free copy from the author.. I hope you enjoy your time with Mary and Avery as much as I enjoyed my time in this story.
Gaele
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed

A delightful heroine, the only daughter of an ailing Earl, Mary is the highlight of the story. Unmarried, and thus at peril as laws will not allow her to inherit lands or title upon her father’s impending death, she is approaching the crisis point. Her father’s illness has left him severely weakened, and while he is loath to leave his daughter untended, there just may be no chance.

Solutions are many: she could marry her first cousin James, a good friend. But Mary wants more, James is not interes
Angieleigh
I received a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

I love the Blush line from Ellora's Cave and am so glad I requested to read this.

Mary is about to lose her home due to not being married and her father on his deathbed. She could marry anyone she likes, but like most women, she wants to marry for love, not just because she wants to keep her home.

I have never understood why it was always encouraged for first cousins to marry. It just seems a bit too...incestuous to me. Mary has been en
Andrea Guy
If you are a lover of regency romance and in need of a quick bedtime read, Wishing Game definitely should be on your list of must reads.

Its a short novella, around 80 pages long and totally sweet.

Mary needs to marry before her father passes or she will lose her family home.

She's had offers, but she's had her heart broken once before and she really wants to marry for love.

Enter her two suitors, Avery, the heir to the Earldom and her cousin James. There's no romance between James and Mary, but y
C.D. Hersh
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mary is the only child of the dying Earl and will lose her home when her father dies. She cannot inherit without a husband and up to now has rejected all suitors. Just before the holidays she learns of the impending arrival of a distant heir. This threatens to remove the joy she has always gotten from the holidays.

Avery, a distant heir to the estate, arrives in the dead of the night, during a thunderstorm. Throwing the household into turmoil with his arrival, he quickly wins their hearts with hi
Jess Schira
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm always excited when I learn that A.S. Fenichel has another sweet romance on the market. Her sensual stories are good, but her sweet romances have a lovely quality that I have an easier time connecting to.

Wishing Game didn't let me down. The plot was unusual and authentic. There was plenty of chemistry between Mary and Avery, and unlike most romance novels, every single character was likeable. Like all of Fenichel's books it was well written and fast paced.

Wishing Game is a great choice when
Sara Gerhold
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read

Ms. Fenichel takes us back to an era where house parties, fairs, and neighborhood celebrations were the thing. Add in a dying Earl, a spinster daughter, and entitled property for a romp through the early 1800's. Mary makes a wish, and away we go on our adventure.
Julia David
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the characters in this story. Mary is considered a spinster and has turned down several marriage proposals. Her father is dying and if she doesn't marry, the estate will go to a distant cousin. When that distant cousin shows up, Mary wants to hate Avery, but he is a good person and everyone likes him. Avery wants Mary not to be so appealing, but she is. The two of them get close very quickly, but Mary doesn't trust too many people and Avery is afraid to show his true feelings. Wit ...more
Leena Aluru
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I loved it.

And innocently started comparing it to Christmas Bliss written by the same author. And lo and behold, they are absolutely the same. Simple plot line where te dashing hero comes to the rescue of our distressed damsel. Good supporting and encouraging side cast. The epilogue is also the same. Yes, the names, locations and the cause of distress are different. And that's where the differences end. That's why it lost out on the 5th star.(:0

Unfortunately, Im a complete sucker and
Dmcl
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency Romance fans
This is a sweet story of simmering passion in a time when even using someone’s first name was considered improper. Imagine the scandal surrounding a stolen kiss or a quick embrace! Mary and Avery literally vibrate with desire, and it’s great to read how they finally get their HEA. A great, quick read for lovers of Regency Romance.
Donna
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary's father is dying and she cannot take over the estate being a woman. If she does not marry, she will lose her family home. She is stubborn and will not marry, unless it is for love. She goes back to her childhood game of a wishing game. Hoping that her wish will come true. Her cousins, James and Avery try to convince her she needs to marry to save her home. Will her wish come true? ...more
Patty
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple and enjoyable story.
ρυηүα [Punya Reviews...]
May 30, 2019
Jacob
rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2016

• Smitten by the Brit (Sometimes in Love, #2)
  • Born to Be Wilde (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #3)
  • The Bride Who Got Lucky (The Cavensham Heiresses #2)
  • Christmas with a Soldier (Soldier, #1)
  • Dragon Unleashed (Dragon Point, #3)
  • When the Duke Found Love
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • No Other Duke But You (Playful Brides, #11)
  • Highland Crown (Royal Highlander, #1)
  • All the Colors of Night (Fogg Lake #2)
  • Becoming Dragon (Dragon Point #1)
  • Dragon Squeeze (Dragon Point, #2)
  • Shadowed (Dark Protectors, #6)
  • The Woman Left Behind (GO-Team, #2)
  • Knight Awakening (Scorpius Syndrome #6)
  • Dragon Reborn (Dragon Point, #5)
  • Winter Igniting (Scorpius Syndrome #5)
  • Dragon Foretold (Dragon Point, #4)
A.S. Fenichel (Andie) gave up a successful IT career in New York City to pursue her lifelong dream of being a professional writer. She's never looked back.

Andrea adores writing stories filled with love, passion, desire, magic and maybe a little mayhem tossed in for good measure. Books have always been her perfect escape and she still relishes diving into one and staying up all night to finish a g

News & Interviews