Start by marking “The Velveteen Rabbit” as Want to Read:
The Velveteen Rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit

(Rabbit Ears ~ A Classic Tale)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  201,004 ratings  ·  3,084 reviews
Nursery magic is very strange and wonderful, and only those playthings that are old and wise and experienced like the Skin Horse understand all about it.

Like the Skin Horse, Margery Williams understood how toys--and people--become real through the wisdom and experience of love. This reissue of a favorite classic, with the original story and illustrations as they first appe
Published September 1st 2013 by Top That! Publishing plc (first published 1922)

·  201,004 ratings  ·  3,084 reviews

Rachel C.
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and deeply touching. At Meredith's wedding last year, her brother and sister read a passage from this book, including the below - an inspired choice.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
Bill
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, favorites
A terrific book, even as an adult, but it gave me quite a scare as a little kid. See, I actually managed to get scarlet fever in the first grade, and because of The Velveteen Rabbit, I was terrified that someone was going to come in and force me to burn all of my toys like the kid in the book had to when he was sick. Thankfully, though, medicine advanced beyond toy burning in between the publishing of this book and 1982, so my G.I. Joes were safe.
Elyse Walters
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I wrote a review about this book on this site at one time or another.......

The review may be lost ---my memories of this book never are!

I own it.......
Its a children's favorite!

*Thanks Duane --for re-visiting of memories from when you recently read it!
Duane
Shame on you "Toy Story", you knocked off "The Velveteen Rabbit' and didn't even say thank you. Of course this was published in 1922, seventy-three years before Toy Story, so most of today's children haven't read this, which is a shame because it's a sweet story, soft and gentle like the little rabbit.
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Regine
Shelves: childrens, given-away
The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real by Margery Williams Bianco (1881-1944) was originally published in 1922 when she was 41 years old.

Tonight is my first time to read this book. Shame on me. It only took 15 mins to read it and at first I was totally not impressed. I thought I already saw the theme of previously-cherished toys being discarded either in favor of a newer or more hi-tech toy or when the child becomes an adult used in Disney/Pixar's movie Toy Story. I also thought I already
Florencia
This review was written months ago. A mix of Christmas, children, family, presents and literature brought it to the surface.
Dec 19, 18

After watching another Friends marathon I noticed that The Velveteen Rabbit was mentioned twice. First, in a 1997 episode, "The One with the Dirty Girl" and four years later in "The One with the Halloween Party" since it was Chandler’s favorite childhood book. (That's not how a geek sounds.)

I wrote on some review that I wasn’t particularly fond of rabbits. When I
Hilary
Beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story about how toys become real when you love them enough, we knew that of course but we suspect some might not realise this so it has a very important message.

There are some sad bits and it was hard to read aloud in places, but a happy ending!
Carol
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First published in 1922, a REAL gem of a classic!
Sylvain Reynard
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some children's books should be read by adults. This is one of them. It examines the transforming power of love.
Agir(آگِر)
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Agir(آگِر) by: Christy
What is REAL?’ asked the Rabbit one day…
Real isn’t how you are made,’ said the Skin Horse.
It’s a thing that happens to you…

But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly

description

Aryn
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book scarred me for goddamned life. I still can't get rid of a stuffed animal. Do you have any idea how many stuffed animals live in my basement because of this book?
Terence
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My nieces
Recommended to Terence by: Maevisvintage
This is my teddy bear:

His name is “Teddy” and I have no recollection of getting him, but he has been with me for over 35 years. I can’t say that he and I were (are) as close as the Boy and his Rabbit. I have no memories of sleeping with him nor of fervently clutching him when afraid nor of making ersatz bear dens for his comfort but he was always on the periphery of my life. Lurking on top of my dresser, carelessly tossed on the bed or (today) carefully packed away with a few other childhood tre
Manybooks
A simple but profound story of how one small toy velveteen rabbit becomes "real" (through so-called nursery magic and because the velveteen rabbit is perceived as being real by the young boy who sleeps with it every night and plays with it every day), but I do have to admit that I am actually more than a bit glad I did NOT encounter Margery Williams Bianco's classic as a very young child (for I did indeed and very much akin to the Boy own a stuffed rabbit toy that was in many ways exactly the sa ...more
Maggie Campbell
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
Emily May
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
What a beautiful and touching story. I was truly blown away by it's originality and subtle message... there is nothing much else to say: it is a heartbreaking story. I cried and cried and just wanted the opportunity to love the Velveteen rabbit forever.
Wendy Darling
My favorite book of all time . . . .with timeless themes of love and loss. If you've never heard Meryl Streep pitch-perfect reading of this book, or seen David Jorgensen's beautiful drawings, you've never really experienced it properly.
Pramod Nair
There was once a velveteen rabbit, and in the beginning he was really splendid. He was fat and bunchy, as a rabbit should be; his coat was spotted brown and white, he had real thread whiskers, and his ears were lined with pink sateen. On Christmas morning, when he sat wedged in the top of the Boy's stocking, with a sprig of holly between his paws, the effect was charming.

Originally published in 1922, The Velveteen Rabbit (or How Toys Become Real) is a classic children’s story by the English-A
Audrey
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful beautiful story. During my second year of teaching, I started taking 30 minutes or so on Fridays to read a children's story to my juniors, and then we'd discuss it in the context of a shared letters project that was ongoing through the year. It never failed that I would cry every time I read this story -- the whole concept of being real as it is explained in the book just moves me so much. When you are shabby and well-worn and your whiskers are rubbed off and your fur is patchy, ...more
Tisha
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It's one of my hobbies to read the books which come up in movies or tv series. I don't know why it makes me happy! So, for this one, I have to thank Chandler Bing from FRIENDS! :D

I totally loved this book! It reminded me of 'Toy Story' though, my all time favorite animated film!
Awwww, the velveteen rabbit! My eyes were almost teary until the fairy came! :'(

Beautiful book with some beautiful writings! ^_^
Ronyell
Velveteen Rabbit

“The Velveteen Rabbit” is Rabbit Ears’ first classic story that is based off of Margery Williams’ popular tale and it is about how a toy rabbit learns the true meaning of being real. With Meryl Streep’s tender narration, George Winston’s soft music and David Jorgensen’s beautiful illustrations, “The Velveteen Rabbit” is an instant classic that children will watch over and over again.

What made this video truly memorable was Meryl Streep’s tender and soothing narration. Meryl Streep gives the st
Shirley Revill
My children and grandchildren loved this book and I must admit I loved it too.
A wonderful classic children's story. Recommended.
Ammara Abid
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath.

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

Sloan
This is by far my favorite book from childhood. My mother read it to me countless times. I really can’t express what this tiny book means to me. It brings me to tears every time I read it. It also makes me pull out my own version of "a velveteen rabbit," which is a little gray bear that I have had since the day I was born. It's funny but when I pull that bear out and hold him in my arms it brings a rush of comfort and a feeling that everything is right.

This story is a classic that should be rea
Paul Nash
Didn't everyone read this as a child? I sure did and I made my mom read it over and over. I saw a post of this today and was like, "holy shit! I forgot all about this book"...
So here is my small review on such a wonderful children's book! 5 stars
booklady
I've lost track of all the times I've read this wonderful sweet story. But my favorite was when I copied and sent the following portion of it to my very REAL mom in a birthday card/letter to let her know how much she is loved:
“What is REAL?” asked the Velveteen Rabbit one day... “Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?”

“Real isn't how you are made,” said the Skin Horse. “It's a thing that happens to you. When [someone] loves you for a long, long time, not just to
Bob
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I've ever read this before and it was ever read to me as a child I don't remember it. This is another great book in my search for good reading and stories for my grandchildren.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
One of the earliest books I can remember...special place on my "childhood shelf."
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Babar the King
  • Socks
  • Make Way for Ducklings
  • Pat the Bunny
Margery Williams Bianco was an English-American author, primarily of popular children's books. A professional writer since the age of nineteen, she achieved lasting fame at forty-one with the 1922 publication of the classic that is her best-known work, The Velveteen Rabbit.

Rabbit Ears ~ A Classic Tale (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Mose the Fireman (Rabbit Ears)
  • Annie Oakley (Rabbit Ears)
  • Brer Rabbit and Boss Lion (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Story of Brer Rabbit and the Wonderful Tar Baby (Rabbit Ears)
  • Davy Crockett (Rabbit Ears)
  • Pecos Bill (Rabbit Ears)
  • Stormalong (Rabbit Ears)
  • Princess Scargo and the Birthday Pumpkin (Rabbit Ears)
  • Aladdin and the Enchanted Lamp (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Bremen Town Musicians (Rabbit Ears)
“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
1631 likes
“Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.” 345 likes