Start by marking “Mr Archimedes' Bath” as Want to Read:
Mr Archimedes' Bath

Mr Archimedes' Bath

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  972 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Revisit an age-old theory in a fresh new way. Age 2+

Every time Mr Archimedes has a bath with his friends, the water overflows. Somebody must be putting extra water in the bath. Is it Kangaroo? Or is it Goat or Wombat? Whoever it is, Mr Archimedes is going to find out. ∗Commended, Children's Book Council Book of the Year Awards 1981 Ages 2+
Published September 20th 1991 by HarperCollins - AU (first published November 27th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Mr Archimedes' Bath, please sign up.

Shelli Archimedes Takes a Bath by Joan M. Lexau, - was done better. Also I enjoyed The Fly on the Ceiling: A Math Myth by Julie Glass, introducing young…moreArchimedes Takes a Bath by Joan M. Lexau, - was done better. Also I enjoyed The Fly on the Ceiling: A Math Myth by Julie Glass, introducing young readers to Rene Descartes. (less)

Jamie
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
When reading this to a small group of children, some of them enjoyed this, others thought it just silly and a couple thought it to be on the lame side. So a very mixed reaction.

Those that liked it got a kick out of Mr Archimedes trying to figure out what was happening with the bath water. One child kept laughing because the man is naked (and if you do not want your children seeing a naked cartoon guy avoid this book) and sent the kids on some giggle fits. Others were bored with the repetition. T
Elma Branigan
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Mr Archimedes’ Bath by Pamela Allen

Mr Archimedes’ bath is always overflowing and he is left to tidy up the mess. But he cannot figure out who is causing the bath to overflow. He accuses Kangaroo, Goat and Wombat of overflowing the bath but then he realises that they are not causing the problem. They all take turn in getting in and out of the bath, making the water go up and down. Finally they realise that it is Mr Archimedes who is causing the bath to overflow. In the end, everyone jumps into th
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jack Kirby and the X-man by: Babyshower
This book is a great introduction to the world of science for a young child.

It is inspired by the story of the original "Eureka" moment, when Archimedes stepped into the bath - the displacement of the water gave him the idea of how to solve a problem for the king.

In this picture book version the problem is that that the bath keeps overflowing. Who is causing the problem - is it the goat, the kangaroo, the wombat or Mr Archimedes himself? The Eureka moment is that Mr Archimedes discovers (throug
Deanna
Mar 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science
Good for the very basic principle discovered by Archimedes regarding buoyancy. Very basic. I wouldn't let my kids look at the book while I read it however because Mr. Archimedes was naked jumping in and out of the bathtub with his kangaroo and other other animal friends. I can't begin to express how absurd this is to me.
Tara Calaby
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
It's been so long since I read this that I can't really remember the details.
Sally Edsall
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By the author of 'Who Sank The Boat?' This is a fun way of learning about Archimedes Principle. He hops in and out of a bath with, variously a kangaroo, goat and wombat, examining the water level each time, and trying to understand why when ALL the friends are in the bath it always overflows.
Well illustrated. And, yes, he shouts "EUREKA!"
Michelle McBeth
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
At first, this book seems sensible. The bath keeps overflowing and Mr. Archimedes wants to know why. So he measures the water before taking a bath. Then he has one animal at a time get out of the bath to see who is causing the overflow. He remeasures the water each time.

But pretty quickly we are introduced to Mr. Archimedes' very gross naked backside. I could not think of one reason why this was necessary for this story. And why was he taking his bath will all of his animals? The math lesson of
Emkoshka
I have the vague feeling that I learnt about Archimedes and his 'Eureka!' moment as a child from reading this book. Bathtime was never the same again! As an adult, this book strikes me as somewhat perverse. Blobby wobbly naked old man jumps in and out of the bath with a kangaroo, wombat and goat. And yes, there's plenty of backside nudity. Sorry, but I found it gross.
Linda
I'm considering NOT reading this to my inquisitive kids... in...out...in...out...in....but why deny them a eureka moment of their own? Off now to read it to Connor.

Oh well - C (6) told me what the funny man was doing to the bath water by page 3. The Eureka moment was mine.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-1001

Every day it’s the same story: Mr. Archimedes, the goat, the kangaroo, and wombat climb into the bathtub and the water spills over the tub. Mr. Archimedes is determined to get to the heart of the problem. Funny little take on an old story.

Shelli
May 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This is an odd introduction to Archimede’s discovery about water displacement. It was just o.k. for me. I don’t think young readers will understand the concept since they will be too focused on giggling at the naked weirdo jumping in and out of the tub.
Susan
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I'm all for making science fun and accessible and understandable but this book was silly. I also had no appreciation for the 'whose fault is it?!?' accusatory tone of the book.

p.s. I seriously doubt Archimedes ever came across a wombat, never mind shared a bath with one.
Best_books
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny book which also helps explain a basic scientific principle. Made even more enjoyable for adult reader and child listener when the animal characters overflowing the bath are given different voices/accents ... Hours of fun!
Mckinley
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
He bathes with a bunch of Australian animals.
Ryan
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Mr archimdes found out that,when the water went up,he was the one who make the water go up and down.
Sophie
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A Pamela Allen classic. To be read and re-read by children of all ages.
D.peabody
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a old book now but still a great yarn. And where does that water come from?? A great science lesson within a picture book.
cy
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
We read this for maths...
Heidi
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute story, introduction to volume and liquid measurement.
Janine
A fun way to introduce a science principle.
Suzie Bookgirl
Sally
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
OMG, I remember absolutely loving this one SO MUCH! I'd totally forgotten about it until I just randomly stumbled across it two minutes ago!
Kettlestitch Press
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A superb exploration of scientific principle for two-year-olds.
Tammy
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Made me laugh out loud.
Hope
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, children
Water level in the bath going up and down and Mr. Archimedes blaming the animals. Favorite book for children.
Krystal
Oct 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
Ummm...weird. What in the hell is Mr. Archimedes doing bathing with all of these wild animals anyway? Bizarre. :)
Tracey Hull
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat
  • Dirty Bertie
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Ten In The Den
  • Wombat Divine
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Window
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Gorilla
  • The Animal Boogie
  • Cat and Fish
  • Edwina the Emu
  • Lotta's Bike
Pamela Allen, born in April 1934, in Devonport, New Zealand[1] is a children's writer and illustrator. She has published over 30 picture books since 1980, when she moved to Australia. Eight of her books have been adapted for the stage by The Patch Theatre Company and performed at the Sydney Opera House. Pamela currently lives in Auckland.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_A...)
More about Pamela Allen...