Start by marking “Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose” as Want to Read:
Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose

Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose

Go Ask Alice was a hoax. But Dear Nobody is a true teen diary so raw and so edgy its authenticity rings off every page

"I am a freak."

The words and drawings of Mary Rose present a gritty, powerful, no-holds-barred true experience of a teen girl so desperate to be loved, so eager to fit in that she'll go to extremes that could cost her her life.
Published April 1st 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Nobody, please sign up.
Cole Benventano I am 14 and reading this book, how ever, I would probably say age 15 or up

Amanda
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, own
You can also find my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose is a story of a girl struggling to escape her demons. It is a very raw story of a very real girl who suffered through some traumatic issues and tried to find an escape through drugs. Mary Rose was handed a shitty hand of cards and tried to play them the only way she knew how. Having read Go Ask Alice I expected something like that, but this book is in a whole different league.

I found this book to be absolutely heartbreaking, as no/>Dear
Sydney
Mar 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
In my opinion, this story was almost pointless.

I'm not entirely convinced that it WAS a true story to begin with, especially since "Go Ask Alice" was once true. Which leads me to conflict. IF it is true, then her life sucked. She knew that. I like how she focused on living instead of dying from her disease, but the editing of this story was awful, assuming it's true. It was just a diary as it was advertised, and a very whiny one at that. The pacing of the story was odd and made it seem that she
Alice Atorly
This review first appeared on The YA Buzz .

I received this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

The Scoop :

We are given the opportunity to peek into the diaries of Mary Rose, a very young woman–a girl, really–living with cystic fibrosis, a terrible home life, and a yo-yoing set of addictions to drugs and alcohol. We read as she cycles through problems both exceptional and not, watching her self-destructively careen toward an end we know is coming wi/>
acascia
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I am really excited to be reviewing this. I got a copy of this book from netgalley.com in exchange of an honest review.

Mary Rose is a master storyteller. She thought no one would ever read this journal, and yet some of her writing is so beautiful and raw and painful that I sometimes find that hard to believe. This whole story was shocking, sad, dark, and an eye opener.
I never want to drink or do drugs or party or any of that stuff. (Not that I was planning on doing it before.) It ju
Crowinator
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
She wanted to write. She wanted to perform. She got to do both – but she isn’t around to see the results.

Mary Rose had a hard life: drugs, alcohol, disease, abuse, unreliable friends. Reading her account was painful and raw. My heart ached as I read her diary entries – and I just wanted to scream that no one seemed to be reaching this hurting teen.

And then I read the afterward and I just wanted to scream ! Really? Her mother wrote the afterward and swore Mary Rose was loved? M
Rebecca McNutt
"true" teenage diaries were started as far back as the hippie years with Go Ask Alice, which was followed by a sea of others. Jay's Journal, Kim: Empty Inside and Running With Scissors, just to name a few. The trouble is, many of these are fabricated in the imaginations of writers, or even more dishonest and sad, they're quickly generated by psychologists as self-help books in disguise for teens who aren't cookie-cutter model citizens. Not only is this condescending, but it shows that teen readers are believed to not even b ...more
Jean Johnson
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's heart breaking and raw and honest. She's got cystic fibrosis but doesn't really dwell on that. She's more lonely and struggling with addiction and more. Go Ask Alice was a hoax, but this is real. I had a few moments where I had to remind myself that this was a 15 year old writing this because she's an extremely talented writer. I don't love the core because I don't it portrays how dark this really is. But the book is so good.
Marianna santisteban
Nov 08, 2015 is currently reading it
this is the true diary about Mary Rose in the age about 15 to 17. In her diary you see everything that happens in her daily life. She get involve in a lot of drugs and alcohol, she make really bad decisions.sometimes you need to remember that is a 15 year old talking because this are really intense things. She is in a really hard stage of her life and all this was in the late 90's.
Selena
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book not knowing what to expect.
I love Mary Rose kept a diary of her life events. It was interesting to read, in her words, her life. Her very short, very eventful life. The normal teenage events of falling in and out of forever love. The not-so-normal events of drugs and alcohol abuse. The hospital stays due to CF.
I am amazed by the strength Mary Rose displayed dealing with the addictions, and her mother's difficult love life.
I have read a fictional book dealing with te
Isabella
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Justice
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having your step father abuse you, moving to a new town where you do not fit in and have to change yourself. Having fake friends, getting into hard alcohol and drugs, in, and out of a rehab and hospitals. Mary Rose is a teenage girl who has had a horrible life with many emotional moments. Mary has been in and out of hospitals her whole life due to cystic fibrosis (A disease that damages the lungs and liver system.). Her mother loved her stepfather Joe more than she loved her own daughter. This i ...more
zapkode
{my thoughts} - {Though the Internet existed in 1997 when Mary Rose was in high school, it was not yet accessible to everyone. Most high school kids still wrote by long-hand, passed notes on paper, and called their friends from a landline. Parents couldn’t track you via social media. If you were walking alone, at night, in the rain, along a desolate highway, you probably didn’t have a cellphone to call for a ride home.}

Mary Rose is an interesting character. She has a way about her wr
Pages For Thoughts
Aug 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
While I apreciate reading her struggle with addiction, I felt the book basically had no plot and kept circling back to abusive relationships and back to drugs. The storyline kept repeating over and over until she dies. I also thought there were just WAY too many cuss words. Sorry, but there becomes a time when you use those words so much it just becomes meaningless and annoying.
Sandy
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Someone help. Anybody, somebody, everybody, nobody? Mary Rose was fifteen when she wrote this journal and whether she intended for anyone to read it or not, the pain is real, almost too real unless you know her circumstances. Her pain comes from a variety of sources, internally and externally and when she writes the messages is clear, she’s hurting. Mary Rose suffered from cystic fibrosis, from sexual and abusive relationships, from alcoholism, from drug addiction and from parents who just didn’ ...more
Brianna
Dear Nobody is a great book. It captures the reality of teen life these days. Not every teen has a life like this but the amount that do is increasing. With every journal entry that Mary Rose has always has some kind of topic that is either tear jerking the funniest thing. Her life is full of struggles but this really captures how she copes with those, some ways better than others. I highly recommend this book to people who enjoy reading about reality and to teens.
Jay
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
At first, I was surprised to hear that this story of a teen being shelved in the adult non-fiction section but after reading it, I can understand why it may be. It's certainly not a feel-good read but a realization that teens everyday are going through such trauma in their lives. And we are all oblivious to it so much. The ending was what I expected although I felt sad and happy for the teen. Read it and find out.
Rana Makki
Feb 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
I'll be honest, I did not finish this book. I don't know if this is really true or not since it's been done before but I disliked this book so much.

The way the diary was compiled made no sense and it was dragging on and on.
Sofia Li
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
*I received this book from Netgalley for review purposes which does not in the slightest affect my honest review of the book*
*I am sincerely sorry to my street team for not posting this review earlier, I had personal/school matters that needed to be prioritized first, which is why I was unable previously to post this review*

My Initial Thoughts: One word -WOW. This book could go down in history. This book could make it onto the 'banned books' list. This book could do a lot of th
Kaitlyn
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose, follows the diary of a young adult struggling with drug and alcohol addiction, cystic fibrosis, toxic friends, and a non-supportive family. While I think the book was well written and very truthful, it was at times hard to follow. Since the book consists of only excerpts from the diary, and wasn't intended for anyone else to read, certain people and situations are ambiguous to the reader, only fully understood by Mary Rose. As for the problems Mary Rose ...more
Jessica White
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Dear Nobody was pitched as Go Ask Alice (but not a hoax).
Okay, I loved Go Ask Alice and all of the diaries in the Anonymous series.
Hoax or not, most of them were very believable.
So I expected Dear Nobody to live up to those expectations.
It didn't even come close.
It was ridiculous, not believable in any way, and if any of this was actually happening I'm wondering why in the hell the law wasn't involved.
Dear Nobody focuses on a girl that has CF (Cystic Fibrosis). However,
Taylor Avers
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am currently reading this book so I don't know how it ends yet but so far from what I read I really like this book because it's from this girls real life and she writes about her hard life. Mary goes through so many things from right in the beginning with her moms boyfriends beating her and having to move around and then she is having trouble with her social life and struggling to make friends.
Megan Augustiny
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
While I can’t say too much for this book (except for the fact that one of my favorite students recommended and lent it to me), I will say that this book made me re-examine my drinking habits.
Lisa Bowen
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fast book. It was a very sad story. There was a lot of stuff going on in this book. It was a more than a good book.
Christine
DEAR NOBODY is non-fiction, it is literally "the true diary of Mary Rose," and because of that fact, it's going to be a book that is hard to review---at least for me, that is. Mary Rose's life is by no means perfect, not even close. Not only is she suffering from a brutal disease, but she is also into drug and substance abuse, has very little to no parental guidance, and has very little stability with friendships. If one thing isn't going wrong, something else is.

This is also by no m
Emily
Apr 03, 2014 added it
Shelves: pla14
Mary Rose is real, or so I have been told. This book's synopsis advocates her existence, and the woman manning the Sourcebooks booth at PLA assured me of the same. I want to believe them—I do believe them—because her story is raw and powerful. The knowledge that it happened makes it even more meaningful.

At first, I struggled to accept that Mary Rose wrote these diaries as a teenager—that they did not jump from the imagination of an adult with a college degree in writing—because her w
Jacqueline R.
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book entitled Dear Nobody edited by Gillian McCain and Legs McNeil, tells the story of a troubled highschooler. This book is completely filled with the diary entries of Mary Rose. These authors make this book interesting to read, with the way they ordered the diary entries. This book was okay. I think this book was a little hard to follow because it was completely diary entries. There was no narrator or second voice, you just had to take Mary Rose's’ side of the story. This book was filled w ...more
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Okay, so the opening and the ending of this book (and the title obviously) indicates that this was a true story and a real diary of a teenager named Mary Rose. I hate ripping on a memoir, but I will because I just didn't get this book at all. But maybe I'm not ripping on her story, as much as I am ripping on the editing.

They said that there were many more entries besides the ones in the book, but they only included
Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books
A HUGE thank you to the publisher, SourceBooks Fire and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this on exchange for an honest review:

Brutal, shocking and downright heartbreaking, this true story will move you and make you smile for all the little things you tend to overlook in everyday life!
Mary Rose is an addict- a hard core junkie, or so everyone labels her. Someone just plain stupid, cracked up and insane to everyone normal. Someone who people can just look at and judge right
Skyler
*I received a free e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
"At this point all I've got is myself; and I think I may even be losing me."
Dear Nobody is a tough read; but Mary Rose is a strong young woman and her perspective on the world is wise beyond her years. Along with alcoholism, a drug addiction, her mother's abusive boyfriend, and her own self-esteem struggles, she's got cystic fibrosis to deal with. And the mucus clogging up her lungs is slowly kil
I want to read... 1 4 Feb 26, 2018 12:03AM

• Frida  Diego: Art, Love, Life
  • Starlet's Man (The Starlet, #0.5)
  • What We Hide
  • Sins of the Fallen (Sins of the Fallen #1)
  • Sorry You're Lost
  • Breed of Envy (The Breed Chronicles #2)
  • A Life, Redefined (Rowan Sloane, #1)
  • Bitten By Deceit (Hadley Werewolves #1)
  • Stronger Than You Know
  • Shards: A Young Vice Cop Investigates Her Darkest Case of Meth Addiction—Her Own
  • Adrenaline Rush (Christy, #1)
  • Wheel of Fortune ( I Am Alive book 1 Episode #2 )
  • The Lonesome Young
  • The Fractured: Maggie (Fractured, #2; Blemished, #2.5)
  • No Slam Dancing, No Stage Diving, No Spikes: An Oral History of the Legendary City Gardens
  • Perception
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Red Star Tattoo: My Life as a Girl Revolutionary