Start by marking “Angel Investing: The Gust Guide to Making Money & Having Fun Investing in Startups” as Want to Read:

They deliver more capital to entrepreneurs than any other source. And they often receive an incredible return on their investments. They’re angel investors, some of the most important—and least understood—players in business today, whose investments in startups exceed $20 billion per year. Many, if not most, of the world’s largest companies were originally funded by angels ...more
Hardcover, First hardcover, 283 pages
Published April 28th 2014 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Investing

Start your review of Angel Investing: The Gust Guide to Making Money & Having Fun Investing in Startups
David Rose
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I obviously loved this book—because I wrote it! But I hope that you will as well. It is the first real "how to" book that covers angel investing as a professional alternative asset class, walking prospective angels (and the entrepreneurs who seek investments from them) through the entire angel process: identifying companies, evaluating entrepreneurs, negotiating term sheets, adding value to portfolio companies, helping with exits, and everything else in between.

The book is based on over a decade
Andrew Yang
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is practical, informative, entertaining, and a window into a world of startups and entrepreneurship that too few get to experience firsthand. Beyond the insight into what it means to invest in an early-stage company or attract investment, the reader gets a sense of what it actually takes to be a successful angel or entrepreneur. Offers plenty of concrete guidance, highly recommended for anyone with an interest in how companies get off the ground in the real world.
João Del Valle
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
With decades of experience as an angel, the founder of Gust David Rose is the authority to talk about angel investing. From why to how, passing by topics as motivation, deal formats, typical terms, legal aspects and angel communities.
Sanger Yoo
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super easy to read without coming off as condescending. An excellent introduction to seed round investing for both aspiring angel investors AND entrepreneurs.
Tõnu Vahtra
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
When reading the definitive books about angel investing I hope to find something that I'm missing while trying to demystify angel investing but it seems that there isn't that much general theory you can find and the main things to accumulate are experiences and networking reach. This book has less "character" compared to Jason Calacanis book but is still a comprehensive overview on angel investing. It is also primarily focused on US but you still find plenty of general principles from there. Off ...more
Jennifer V.
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With the growing number of technology start-ups and the popularity of reality television shows like the Canadian Dragon’s Den and it’s American spin-off Shark Tank, terms like “angel investor” and “venture capital” are becoming household words. However, how to actually survive and thrive in this sort of investment market is still a great mystery to many. For those looking to fund these sorts of high-risk businesses, help is needed. And that’s exactly what Angel Investing: The Gust Guide to Makin ...more
Kristen
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Full Disclosure: I won this book in a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway.

David S Rose is passionate about angel investing and his passion comes through in this book! Angel investing is when individuals invest their personal capital in early stage companies. Investing in a startup company is a high-risk, but potentially high-return investment. While angel investing is primarily the province of accredited investors (those people with at least $1 million in assets excluding their primary residence, or t
Sheldon
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
YES, YES!!... Here is a book with solid, actionable advice and information about Angel Investing. Unlike many books that give high level "success stories" and basically say that's how you do it, David lays out the industry, things you should consider, things you should expect, and is real and honest about what you'll likely experience both in results and people.

I listened to the audio book version on a long flight back from the west coast (almost perfect length for that). David is the reader of
Faizan Khan
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Book Codifies & Explains The Current Best-Practices In Professional Angel-Investing.

This Book Also Teaches You How Angel-Investing Would Be Amazingly Rewarding Both In Terms of Financial & Non-Financial Rewards.

Regardless of Whether You Are a Multimillionaire Super Angel or a $2,000-a-year CrowdFunder,
Internalizing The Underlying Lessons In This Book Will Be Equally As Vital When It Comes To Generating Long-Term Results.

Angel-Investing Plays an Important Role in:
Launching & Nurturing The B
Vicky
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book offers excellent and practical advice for people interested in becoming successful entrepreneurs. This easy-to-read book explains what to consider and what to expect in your quest to make money and have fun. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in investing in startups.

I received this free book through Goodreads.
Nathan
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great, very informative read about angel investing for those interested in starting. I gave it 4 stars because it wasn't mind blowing or anything, but full of good information.

A few takeaways:
- Biggest claim he makes is that you can make 25% IRR on your investments if you invest seriously, in a portfolio of 20 startups, have a 10 year horizon (or so), and stick to things in your expertise / areas of domain. I've heard lots of horror stories and he admits the data is tricky to collect,
Edward
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
David Rose gives a comprehensive guide about angel investing, covering all aspects, from the reasons why one would pursue a "career" in angel investing, to the nuts-and-bots of dealing with term sheets and leading an investment round. I found his writing very readable, guiding the readers from the very basics to the details (e.g. the different way to value a start-up).

David Rose is a very successful and experience angel investor but his writing style is quite humble and never condescending. At
Jason Sun
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to this on audible. It wasn't very engaging and I have trouble finishing. Not really suited for the listening type, maybe as a reference.

I lost appetite about 70% of the way through. Lost some points because of advertising for his platform, gust. I wanted to hear about his discussions of what startups he invested in and why what he missed out on and why. But all I got were principles of what to do and what not to, and not the stories I was hoping for. As for gust, I guess since he was
Vaibhav Bhandari
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books-read
David Rose is a seasoned angel investor and its a good read & listen to understand his perspective of the Angel world. As an angel investor and an entrepreneur, I like the actionable insights from this book especially the ones around using SAFE, structuring cap tables and creating a portfolio. More examples would have helped but none the less it is an interesting and educational read. ...more
Eric
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great primer if you've never invested in startups as an angel and are considering it. The book could use a stronger editor to make things more concise and less repetitive. Overall though, it's a solid book that gets you up to speed fast.
Peter Fuller
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super duper practical and straightforward. I learned a ton about the world of startups and private equity investments. Unfortunately, I don’t have $500K in annual free cash flow and likely never ever ever will. But still interesting!
Jonas Van Baelen
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for anyone that wants to become an angel investor. A little too focused on US companies but overall a solid read.
Bob Burch
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a very interesting read for an entrepreneur wannabe, as well as start-up investor wannabes. The book is mostly written for future investors, but is also helpful to entrepreneurs.
Guido
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good insight on how angel investing actually works. It was full of financial terms but not overwhelming and the author did an excellent explaining the rational to angel investing.
Sumaia
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple, clear, and to the point. Great information about angel investing and investing in startups in general.
Mark Greathouse
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent overview of early-stage private equity (angel) investing. A must primer for new investors and entrepreneurs.
Danko
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolute must-read for all fresh angel investors
Ramasubramanian G
Great read. The author has stripped the topic of all its complexities and has written a gripping narrative aimed at budding angels like me. The references, template documents are all valuable collaterals. I am sure to keep coming back to this book as a reference in times of need.
Eugene
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eugene by: Vitaly Polekhin
Shelves: 2018
good introduction into angel investing. Not just an inspiration but with the numbers related to angel investing (based on author's experience). Also, great chapter about business angels associations and how they work.
Scott Haraburda
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Book.

------------------------------------

Angel Investing: The Gust Guide to Making Money & Having Fun Investing in Startups is an investment guidance book aimed at new investors, specifically those considering investments in startups.

The author is David S. Rose, a reputable investment expert with an MBA in Finance from Columbia Business School. He is passionate about his trade, which comes through in his writing. However, he frequently promotes Gust, a company he f
Michele Long
Jun 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
I first want to acknowledge that I received this book free as part of the First-Reads GoodReads Giveaway.

I initially wanted to read this book because I'm interested in personal finance and try to read financial books every once in a while to stay sharp and improve on what I already know and do. I thought this would give me a good idea in not only getting involved with investing, but doing it in a way that helps start-ups. It seems I was completely wrong about my expectations on the book.

It shou
David Freedman
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the best book on the strategies of angel investing that I've read. It's targeted to accredited investors (wealthy people), but it's valuable for all investors regardless of income or net worth, in my opinion.

The author David Rose is a veteran angel investor and successful entrepreneur, active in more than one angel group. He presents a balanced view of conflicting opinions about investment strategies, while making his personal biases known. For example, should you bet the horse or the jo
Jill
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am currently taking business classes at college and this is a perfect companion book to read along with my text books. It offers good advice in an easy to read format and backs up a lot of what is taught in class. I will be recommending the book to my classmates.

The on;y problem I had was that I had never heard of Angel Investing before and because it was not explained right away in the book it took awhile to figure out what it was.

I won this book in a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway.
Sammie Mays
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Full Disclosure: I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway.
This book was a bit overwhelming for me but more than that, it was very informative. Mr. Rose took something I knew nothing about and explained "Angel Investing" in great detail. I had never heard of "Angel Investing" before. Thanks to his advice, I feel that if I ever am able to invest in a start-up company that I will not go in blind-folded. The Glossary included was very beneficial, as I was unfamiliar with some of the terms. Wor
Barry
Dec 30, 2014 added it
If you are an entrepreneur and searching for investors, working capital, bridge loans and partners, this is the first book you should pick up before you start your search. It will help you understand what Angel Investors and Venture Capitalist will be looking for. This book is written as a guide for the new angel investors but in reality will help anyone looking to invest or business looking for capital.

• Angel: How to Invest in Technology Startups—Timeless Advice from an Angel Investor Who Turned $100,000 into $100,000,000
  • The Business of Venture Capital: Insights from Leading Practitioners on the Art of Raising a Fund, Deal Structuring, Value Creation, and Exit Strategies
  • Venture Deals
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • Early Exits: Exit Strategies for Entrepreneurs and Angel Investors (But Maybe Not Venture Capitalists)
  • #BreakIntoVC: How to Break Into Venture Capital And Think Like an Investor Whether You're a Student, Entrepreneur or Working Professional (Venture Capital Guidebook Book 1)
  • Secrets of Sand Hill Road: Venture Capital and How to Get It
  • Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence
  • Tim Cook: The Genius Who Took Apple to the Next Level
  • Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
  • The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life
David S. Rose is an Inc. 500 CEO, serial entrepreneur, angel investor, author and keynote speaker who has founded or funded over 100 pioneering companies. He has been described by Forbes as "New York's Archangel", by BusinessWeek as a "world conquering entrepreneur", by Crain's New York Business as "the father of angel investing in New York", and by Red Herring magazine as "patriarch of Silicon Al ...more

News & Interviews

“it is not an exaggeration to state that any company designed for success in the twentieth century is doomed to failure in the twenty-first.” 1 likes
“However, angel investors by definition are not philanthropists or do-gooders in this area of their lives.” 1 likes