Start by marking “Jump Rope Magic” as Want to Read:
Jump Rope Magic

Jump Rope Magic

Shameka and her jump rope rhymes bring joy to everyone, even Miss Minnie, the meanest person in the neighborhood.
Published March 1st 2000 by Scholastic (first published November 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Jump Rope Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jump Rope Magic

Start your review of Jump Rope Magic
yoelina gutierre
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No puedo decir nada por que no se como entra para lerlo
Sue Knott
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When my son was little, this was one of his favorite books. He would ask me to read it to him night after night...which is a little surprising because the main character is a girl and he didn't gravitate toward girl characters all that much.

I am sure the reason he enjoyed it so much was the prose. Perfectly written in traditional jump rope meter, you can't help but inject a bit of energy and jive into the reading.

While the story captures a very typical childhood scenario: mean old lady everyone
Rachael
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My 4 year old gal loves this book. The language is fun, the cadence is clever and the story is sweet. An urban group of jump ropers always scared off by the grumpy old lady find a hero in Shameka who connects with Ms. Minnie. Ms. Minnie passes on but not before she shares a connection with Shameka who knows works her jump rope magic in the memory of Ms. Minnie. I love the visualization in the poetry and the fantasy in David Diaz's art (he has such a great character inflection in his work). I wis ...more
Paul  Hankins
I bought this one at the Friends of the Library Sale for 15 cents. I wanted to have some more jumping rhymes and chants in the collection, but I was really drawn to the illustrations of David Diaz here. This one would be fun for a read-aloud before recess time. Here is an extension to poetry performance that comes natural to younger students. An opportunity, to be sure, to introduce more traditional rhymes for these young people.
Samantha
Rhythmic text incorporates popular jump rope rhymes into a story about Shameka and their crew and the magic in the air that sends Mean Miss Minnie jumping all the way to heaven.

Artwork reminds me of marionettes and reflect the whimsy of the story and language of the text. Good read aloud for PreK-2.
Paula

Jun 21, 2017
Pinky
May 29, 2013
George
rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2013