Start by marking “Rising (Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rising (Rising, #1)

Read Book

Rising

(Rising #1)

In a war between the humans and the inhabitants of the sea-humans will lose. Xanthus Dimitriou-the most lethal Dagonian to rise from the ocean-is on a mission to save mankind from annihilation. But first there's one small thing he needs to do... kill a beautiful young woman in a wheelchair.

Killing her doesn't start out as part of his plan. He entrenches himself deep in th
Published September 6th 2013 by Clean Teen Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rising, please sign up.
Holly I have been approached by a film company (they do mainly TV series and mini series) about whether or not I still own the film right. I told them I did…moreI have been approached by a film company (they do mainly TV series and mini series) about whether or not I still own the film right. I told them I did and they said they would forward that information on to their acquisitions department. It's been a few months and I haven't heard back from them. (less)

Holly
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I LOVED this book! Of course I may be biased. I'm the author. :)
Lauren Taylor
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful and gentle love story full of mystery, mythology and a touch of attitude. Sara is a vulnerable yet tough MC complimented perfectly by her love interest Xanthus, a conflicted hero. Loved this book! Well done Holly Kelly.
Seeing Double in Neverland
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For Full Review go to http://seeingdoubleinneverland.blogsp...

5 out of 5 stars!!!

This book was amazing, it was one of my favorite Mermaid books!
Jocelyn Sanchez
I have never read a book about creatures that lurked under the sea. So naturally, I found this book fascinating! I found myself staying up late at night just to find out what happens next. This book is a real page turner! The cool creatures I read and learned about in this story were awesome!!

Take Me Away To A Great Read
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!!! It was one of my favorite Mermaid books, it was more mature then most I have read and that I could relate based on where I am in my life. It was not mature in that it had sexual content, or profanity, it was very clean. It was just that the characters were a little bit older and that there were more struggles in their lives and more violent situations (that people living in poor neighborhoods or someone out at night alone might deal with).

I loved the complexity of the ch
Jon Messenger
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed The Rising. I've always had a weak spot in my heart for mythology. Holly Kelly does a great job of incorporating the mythology into a believable world, an underwater world just beneath the proverbial surface of the world we all know. A world inhabited by Dagonians, seven-foot creatures that closely resemble Mermaids.

One of the things I appreciated about this book was that despite the main character's beauty, she wasn't the typical main character. She wasn't a super warrior.
a_tiffyfit
I requested a review copy of this (okay, I begged) and was granted it and then I read it all in one sitting and am waiting until I can re-read it again. This book releases in 2 days and you, too, will be able to enjoy Xanthus & Sara.

The prologue opens with a woman giving birth and not one, but two nurses fainting dead away when they see the baby. And then chapter one opens twenty years later...

Sara is in a wheelchair thanks to her disfigurement (her legs...which, of course, are not legs but
booknerd_dork
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm speeeechless, I don't know what to say. The story not only got me hooked in the first chapter but it got better, awesome and mind blowing. I didn't read the synopsis but the tag line got me and I wanted to know more as the cover to tagline captured my attention.
The story is just WoW!!! I'm having this big grin on my face just thinking about the whole adventure and mystery.
It has POV's of different characters, just to give slight glimpse to some clues and have you glued to the story.
Xanthus!!
~ Rose ~ ☯Desert Rose❀
My Review
5 Roses

Good mermaid stories tend to be difficult to find. With the "Dagonians" and Triton filling the synopsis, this book either had the potential to rock, or bomb. It seemed obvious it would be a variation of a mermaid story, with Greek, and possibly Roman, mythology. I didn't know whether I'd like all of that mixed, but after finishing this book, I'm completely in love with this story!

I think Xanthus is one of my new favorite book heroes. Gorgeous, strong, powerful, honorable, and the perfect image
Xanti
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book cover alone sucked me in (easier to see detail on Amazon-click the cover). But I'm glad it did. The hero, Xanthus, is a Dagonian (similar to a merman, but a different subspecies of sorts). Who wouldn't like a gorgeous, nearly seven feet tall finned hunk who is called the "nightmare of the deep"? The sea god Triton gives him legs and sends him onto land to discover and stop some major polluters of the ocean who have killed thousands of their kind. While there Xanthus meets the heroine, S ...more
Ronda  Tutt
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating Oceanic Mythical World!

This is one awesome Mythical World so fascinating you’ll want to immerse yourself into. I am so stunned, I mean Wow! I’ve read many mermaid stories but never have read about Dragonian.

A Dagonian was created by Poseidon and isn't considered a mermaid/merman. They are similar in certain ways, however only the children of Triton are considered mermaids/merman's which Poseidon had eliminated out of spite. But Poseidon’s reign is short lived and his son Triton rule
Rebecca Gober
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness! *Fans face with hand. * This book is HOT! Sure, I'm a bit biased seeing as how it's published through Clean Teen Publishing, but this is a must read. I wasn't sure what to expect when it came to a book of under the sea creatures. Holly Kelly pleasantly surprised me on that one! Xanthus is a strong lead character and Sara is easily relatable. What I really liked about this book is that Holly Kelly kept the romance content clean (Level 2 on our content rating) yet it was still smok ...more
Amber
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rising by Holly Kelly is a uniquely beautiful and utterly priceless treasure that strives to gently remind us that we are infinitely valuable beyond what we can ever imagine and lavishly treasured beyond our wildest dreams. We are more than what we see in the mirror each day. We have value and purpose and we should never allow ourselves to forget that.

Where do I start in describing just how much I truly enjoyed and fell in love with this story?! I honestly loved everything about it!! I loved th
Roseanne Wilkins
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clean-romance
I love this book. It's a contemporary romance with mermaids. Clean and well-written, it's one I don't mind handing over to my daughters. I've already bought the second book in the series.
Linda
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sara Taylor thought her mom was crazy as she tossed her into the sea when she was five or six, but she guessed her screams touched Nicole and drove her sane enough to go down a cliff and rescue her. Nicole was very beautiful and stopped traffic wherever she went, but no husband could keep her for long as she had married three times. At twenty, Sara had had enough of her crazy mom and she left to live her own independent life. With her disability she shunned relationships and rented a tiny apartm ...more
Mardi
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! It totally sucked me in. The story-line just kept me guessing and wanting more! I can't wait for book #2!! Please, please, please!
Lauren
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a part of the Clean Teen Publishing street team comes with the wonderful perk of being able to read and review their books before they are released. My favorite part about this perk is that their books are always so unique. I have not read a book from them that reminded me of any other book I have read. Their authors have such original ideas and they translate onto paper (or ereader screen) wonderfully.

Rising is no different. I have never read a book about mermaids (and in this case Dagoni
Michelle O'Leary
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rising is an imaginative sweet romance with satisfyingly heroic characters. The storyline is a nice twist on the usual mere-people plot with a very sweet, sympathetic heroine and a hero that hits all the right notes: strong, noble, protective, and loving.

Other reviewers have done an excellent job of describing this book so I'll just say I really enjoyed reading Rising. Some minor editing/grammatical issues snagged at me a bit and the flow could have used some polish, but otherwise this is a sol
Tamara Grantham
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying that I've been burned by several books in the paranormal romance category lately. One book I couldn't even finish because it became too graphic. RISING was like a breath of fresh air. It stayed clean, yet the romance was still enjoyable. This was a new twist on the mermaid tale. I didn't feel like I was being retold Ariel's story. I enjoyed the history of the Dagonians and the mermaids. It kept my interest throughout. I never felt like it dragged. In fact, I finished it in ...more
Jocelyn Sanchez
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This book is told in the POV of two different characters. Xanthus Dimitriou is a powerful Dagonian in the sea. A Dagonian isn't considered a mermaid/merman, even if they are similar in certain ways, only th
Becca
4 stars

I was a mermaid…oh I am sorry not mermaid, Dagonian virgin. Not anymore!

So I received this for an honest review, on a blog tour with Juniper Blog Tour Company. With that said honesty is the best policy. Yup, yup, yup.

Song Choice: “What a Catch, Donnie” by Fall Out Boy (yeah I was trying to be slightly funny there, but also serious), and “Never My Love” by Har Mar Superstar featuring Adam Green

First thoughts: As a mermaid – sea creature (almost all sea creatures I can think of only one
Samantha Woods ( LSK Sweetheart Reviews )
Xanthus is a Dagonian which are often mistaken for Mermaids/Mermen. He is a warrior, however he does not agree with his brother to go into full blown war with the humans. So he brings his idea to go on land to try to convince the humans to quit polluting the water to stop the war to Triton. His brother couldn't possibly go against a god! While on land trying to complete his mission he runs into someone who he assumes to be an outlaw. A Dagonian living on land. When he see's this female Dagonian ...more
Veronica of V's Reads
What a fun read!

Sara is a "disabled" girl--she always keeps her legs bundled up so no one can see her deformity--a mermaid's tail. She has persevered in life despite her over-protective (and possibly deranged) mother, but she has no idea what is in store. See, under the sea there is a battle a-comin'.

Xanthus is a Dagonian--a virtually immortal race born from the union between the gods Dagon and Calypso--so just because he has a tail don't be calling HIM a merman. The Mer, children of Triton, are
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-i-own
Picked this one up for free on Amazon. I'm glad I did. It was a great introduction to what this author has to offer and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series. This was a clean romance read, no swearing, some kissing and obvious attraction. There was some violence.

I did enjoy the characters and the underwater world with the mix of Olympus Gods thrown in for good measure. It's a sort of paranormal/fantasy romance. Fun.

Something that was super cool that I really liked because
Cassandra
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 unicorns - I loved it!!

**Received an ebook copy from Clean Teen Publishing for an honest review

The cover is absolutely beautiful!! I was intrigued from the first moment I saw it! Marya did a fantastic job!

The story was phenomenal and I loved every moment of reading it! I couldn’t put it down in fact I read it straight through much to my son’s chagrin.

I totally fell in love with Xanthus and Sara. Sara is strong, independent, and doesn’t just cower and hide when something
Cassandra
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 unicorns - I loved it!!

**Received an ebook copy from Clean Teen Publishing for an honest review

Melissa Cunningham
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I could not lay this book down. I'm not even kidding. It has been a long time since I was enthralled with such a compelling story, and once I started reading, I didn't stop until I finished it. Holly Kelly has woven a beautiful tale, making life under the sea feel modern and desirable once again. Fantastic!
Julie Wetzel
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me awake all night. There's no better way to greet dawn then with the final chapters of a really good read. This was a really good read!
Margrethe
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Betty
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The story starts with a young woman, Nicole Taylor, having a baby girl, Sara, who is born with a deformity. Her real name is Nicole Reanne Lamont. She raises Sara on her own and very overprotective of her. The doctors couldn't do anything for the baby.

Sara, is confined to a wheelchair and is now 20 years old. She wants to be independent and has her own apartment in a run down neighborhood and has her own web design business. Unbeknownst to her, she is half human and half mermaid. She's never gon
2015 Reading Chal...: Rising By Holly Kelly 2 11 Feb 13, 2015 11:10AM
Clean Teen Publis...: Book Of The Month - April 2014 - Rising 7 30 Apr 15, 2014 04:21PM

• Ageless Sea (Ageless, #1)
  • Reluctant Guardian (Ransomed Soul Series, #1)
  • Oxford Whispers (The Oxford Saga, # 1)
  • Beginnings End (Shattered Skies, #1)
  • Very Superstitious: Myths, Legends and Tales of Superstition
  • Pocket Full of Posies (Hostage Negotiation Team #3)
  • The Awakener (The Watchers of Men, #1)
  • The Eve Genome
  • Zeus (The God Chronicles, #1)
  • Dangerous Lovers
  • Antara (Antara, #1)
  • Mix 'N Match (No Match for Love #3)
  • Alora: The Wander-Jewel (Alora, #1)
  • Sacrifice (Gryphon #3)
  • Flame Caller (World Aflame, #2)
  • Soul Resurrected (Sons of Wrath, #2)
  • Surfacing (Swans Landing, #1)
  • The Marked Ones (The Fairytail Saga, #1)

Rising (4 books)
  • Descending (Rising, #2)
  • Avenging (Rising, #3)