Start by marking “Habeas Corpse” as Want to Read:

Habeas Corpse

"DEXTER meets Deadite... Nikki Hopeman's book just might be the most clever zombie story to hit the shelves in quite some time." Michael Arnzen, Bram Stoker Award-winning author of Play Dead When a series of grisly murders terrorizes the Steel City, Theo-an undead "Riser" working as a forensic technician for the Pittsburgh police-decides to use his dark gift to hunt the ki ...more
Published November 2nd 2013 by Blood Bound Books (first published October 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Habeas Corpse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Habeas Corpse

Kristin
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every time horror-minded folks get together, someone sparks a discussion about whether zombies, vampires and werewolves are headed the way of the dodo. Are the familiar tropes too tired, too used up? We’re pretty saturated on these monsters, but I have to say, it’s for a good reason. When handled well, they are unstoppable.

Nikki Hopeman’s first novel, Habeas Corpse, has been described by Michael Arnzen as “DEXTER meets Deadite”. Theo Walker isn’t your normal zombie, and Habeas Corpse isn’t your
Glenn Rolfe
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, where do i begin. How about, "I hate zombie books". Zombies are my least favorite of the horror world. The only exception for me has been The Rising by Brian Keene...until now.
This book was amazing. I was yelling out loud to Theo and caught up in the fantastically paced and perfectly plotted out lines, scenes, chapters, and overall story. Nikki Hopeman is talented.
Women in Horror Month, combined with two thumbs up from fellow authors I trust, made me decide to grab this one and give it a ch
J.
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, mystery, thriller
I am a pretty jaded horror story consumer. The author managed two very difficult tasks...

1. I was grossed out at one point. Congratulations, that is nearly impossible at this point.
2. I actually enjoyed a zombie-centric story.

It was a new take on two of my favorite things horror and procedural thrillers. Totally worth the night I didn't get enough sleep before work. If, like me, you are always looking for something new look no further; You have not read this story before.
Maria Hrabric
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Horror isn't my typical genre, but I read this because a friend wrote it. Classifying it as a horror story alone is a disservice to this novel. It is a well written mystery with a great story line. Nikki takes on a popular topic of zombies in a new and refreshing way. I was not a fan of zombie books and wouldn't normally choose one to read. I will, however, be one of the first in line to read any sequels! I can't wait to see what Theo does next or what the future holds for him now.
Nicole
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. By far the most unique zombie novel I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Oh, this was lovely work. Absolutely disgusting at times and yet awesome, Nikki Hopeman did a fantastic job in bringing the reader a zombie novel which stands out from the masses of cliché works which are circulating among the masses. As someone who, pardon the pun, devours zombie-centric stories at racetrack worthy speeds, I’ve found myself lately bemoaning the absence of story-lines that don’t have me wishing the author had reach for some fresh brains themselves. I asked for a proper new zombi ...more
Meg Mims
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
In Pittsburgh, after massive radiation exposure, humans - both alive and dead - are trying to co-exist. What a great premise, and Hopeman brings her zombie hero Theo Walker (heh heh, nice twist there) to life (again) with a mix of sympathy and revulsion as he tries to solve a series of grisly murders. Not for the faint of heart, but a horror book with heart that makes for a suspenseful read.
Darcey Jacobs
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So, when is the next Theo story? I can't wait!!!!!
Nicholas Mccamant
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable book. Was not expecting the usage of zombies on how it was done. Easy and quick read but still a book that I could not put down once started.
Max III
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Theo is a twenty-something burnout working for the forensics department. He lives in his parents’ basement and he’s never been in a real relationship. His best friend is his cat.

Theo is also a zombie.

But don’t worry, he’s not a “bad” zombie. And he’s not the only one.

Habeas-Corpse

In Nikki Hopeman’s debut novel, she has constructed a rather unique world where the dead and the living co-exist. Due to an “Event”, sometimes human beings reanimate once they’ve died. But it’s okay, because there’s med
Rena Mason
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
HABEAS CORPSE is a great debut novel from author, Nikki Hopeman. I'm not generally a big zombie book fan, but I enjoyed this author's fresh perspective. Theo, a forensics/crime scene technician, hired after the event that made him a zombie, is funny, clever, and has the typical angst of a young adult - especially after he gets a little taste of brains. In this novel about a serial killer choosing who should RISE, Theo must solve the crime before the human view turns against the "risers" once mor ...more
Diane
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Zombie Food for Thought
A refreshing and unnervingly believable zombie tale that pulls on the heartstrings and makes the reader root for Theo, an undead forensic tech with special gifts. Nikki Hopeman creates a tolerant world where zombies and humans coexist as long as certain rules are followed—rules that Theo shatters. Well-written and pervasive.
Douglas Castagna
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A new and innovative take on the Zombie novel. Theo works with forensics, where he provides a new take on police work. There is a procedural wrapped up in a horror novel, with touches of humor and pathos from our undead protagonist. Look out for this author, as I am sure there is much more to come from her.
Kristin Perry Bowser
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love when I find a book with a story angle that surprises me! Theo is a very likable zombie, but that doesn't mean that the story is any less gory than you would expect for a zombie book! Great story, very well written! I look forward to reading more about Theo!
Amber
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't call this a zombie book so much as I would call it a murder mystery with a main character who happens to be a zombie. Very well written. My only complaint is that it ends on such a cliffhanger. I hope there is a sequel in the works!!!!
Claudia
Christian Höltje
Jul 07, 2018
Jason Fleming
Dec 05, 2014
Nikki Hopeman loves the kind of horror that leaves her quaking in the back of the closet, the kind that won't let her close her eyes. Life before writing includes a bachelor’s degree in microbiology, a few years as a veterinary technician, floral arranger, blueberry picker, babysitter, and VW Beetle mechanic. She holds an MFA in writing popular fiction from Seton Hill University. When she’s not wr ...more