Start by marking “Trans Bodies, Trans Selves: A Resource for the Transgender Community” as Want to Read:
Trans Bodies, Trans Selves: A Resource for the Transgender Community

Trans Bodies, Trans Selves: A Resource for the Transgender Community

There is no one way to be transgender. Transgender and gender non-conforming people have many different ways of understanding their gender identities. Only recently have sex and gender been thought of as separate concepts, and we have learned that sex (traditionally thought of as physical or biological) is as variable as gender (traditionally thought of as social).

While
Published June 10th 2014 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Trans Bodies, Trans Selves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trans Bodies, Trans Selves

Start your review of Trans Bodies, Trans Selves: A Resource for the Transgender Community
Cindy
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually only made it to page 174 before I realized I was not going to keep reading this behemoth. Not that this isn't a very, very good book -- it's just huge! It's literally a textbook of issues that can possibly affect transgender people, and it takes commitment to read it. I should have heeded the advice in the introduction to just skip around instead of trying to read straight through and getting burned out.

That being said, I really enjoyed reading it. I thought the section on social
Ignatius
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Over the past several years I've been reading different parts of it in excerpts, in libraries, when reading from a friend's bookshelf, etc.

I am a trans, genderqueer person who has dealt with a lot of stuff. I have been homeless thrice, in and out of psychiatric hospital visits and have dealt with all sorts of abuses.
I have lived through corrective rape from an abusive relationship, attempted murder via a parent, being told by medical staff my gender is a delusion/"attention-seeking behaviour"
Aryeh
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5-Stars, incredibly informative. It's worth taking the weeks that it took to read it (640-something pages of writing, not including the resources in the back). If you're looking for...history, pop-culture (film, plays, art, music, much more), medical and social service resources, information on finding trans* and GNC comrades in 12-step programs, on the internet, or in your religious community, this is a place to start. It's a resource I'd recommend for spiritual and social workers, for allies, ...more
Darcie
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Helpful resource for information and language to support and accompany my young adult trans child. Offers an array of experiences and data.
Debbie
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful especially when it comes to educating folks about gender identity. It is a genuine look on the intersectionality within trans support and trans issues. I recommend this book to anyone who is exploring their own gender identity and/or wants to have a better understanding of the gender minority community.
Danni Green
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent and very important book. I did read it cover-to-cover, though that isn't necessary. It contains a lot of really useful, affirming information. I particularly appreciated the quotes and stories that gave voice to the experiences of individuals from a wide range of experiences. I had really wanted to read this book so that I would know whether it was worth recommending to others, and it definitely is; this is a high quality, well written, well researched reference written by ...more
Kelly
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, reading this book has certainly been quite an enlightening journey. It's not really a cover-to-cover read, but a reference book, and one that's got plenty of invaluable information organized by topic and does its very best not to be judgmental. I think the overwhelming focus on genders that align to the masculine/feminine spectrum/paradigm, and especially the lack of discussion of gender binarism, is unfortunate, but hopefully that's something that could be rectified in later editions ...more
Abel O'Brien
Kind of like a bible on what is probable and possible.
AdamTheSoyBoy
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Trans people in general
(I technically did not finish this book but this isn't the type of book you "finish," more on that later).

The best thing about this book is that it's THOROUGH.

Do you want to know how to come out to your parents? Your kids? Your job? Want to know about every surgery available to you? Here it is, all in one book.

Due to the fact that is spans across age, sexuality, and identity, this isn't one of those cover-to-cover reads (doing so might make you smarter but won't help much). I'm saying that I
Lucky Bradley
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lecture, health, textbook
I feel I can give fair feedback on this, since I am a transgender woman. I want to say this is absolutely a good resource, if a little dated. It is more of a textbook and not something most people will read from cover to cover. Instead it is good to go back to the specific sections and read those sections.

If you are newly out as transgender, or if you want a little bit of insight, I highly recommend this book. Just understand that the society/cultural/historical changes in the transgender
Katelyn
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This would make an excellent resource for any social worker, as well as for the transgender community! Extremely straightforward and comprehensive and includes references to outside resources for learning more. Trans voices provide much of the information and commentary and the book as a whole is respectful of a broad spectrum of privilege, oppression, and difference even within the community.
EarNoodles
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most in depth books about trans people and all the issues we face. As other people have mentioned it's more of a textbook than a fun read but it's very informative and insightful with lots of good suggestions and references for where to learn more.
emmy
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as blog-recs
Included in a blog post and resource list at https://booksbeyondbinaries.blog/2019...
Summer
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great resources and information for transfolx and allies.
Vegan Viajo
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book for resources if you're in BH or medical field and a new level of understanding for Cisgender people wanting to support friends families or loved ones who are transitioning !
Christina Cathcart
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A mind-boggling wealth of information, written textbook style. Perfect for someone exploring their gender for the first time.
Quinn
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading a lot of informational books about the transgender identity and so far this has been the least condescending and... well, weird, of any of them.

This book is huge, like a text book, but I thought there were some really useful sections and I liked how the thoughts and opinions of many different trans people were woven into the informational text to provide bits of personal narrative on whatever subject was being discussed.

Overall I would say there was one or two places where I
Grace Mead
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This leads with overwrought and complicated theoretical discussions of gender and gender identity and terminology, when some fundamental notions of human decency and respect for persons and their choices could do most of the heavy lifting instead. Despite that, it goes on to provide a comprehensive survey of much of the literature surrounding the most important issues faced by transgendered people. It also reflects a wonderful balance among the perspectives of sensitive caregivers in the medical ...more
Jocilyn
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A terrific resource. Easily the best expose we have to date... but it could definitely be better. Basically it's 100% too dense (think graduate social work text) with lackluster structure to be a good reference book and is constantly bogged down by anecdotal asides, many of which are really only useful if you're cisgendered. For a second edition please consider beefing up the HRT and surgery sections. In my experience people always have questions and concerns about those which seem to be glossed ...more
Brandon
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very very very detailed book. It would make an excellent multicultural counseling textbook based upon all the information each chapter is detailed, with the added emphasis that it details how things intersect with the diverse trans population. It discusses racial, age, disabilities, politics, various cultures, lifespan stuff and the media plus more.

I have several friends and acquaintances who contributed to this volume. I thank them for their dedication to this masterpiece.
Julie
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
As the parent of a female to male transgendered son I am eager to learn more about the process of transitioning, and how people cope day to day as they seek to live their lives in the gender they truly identify with. This book is a wonderful resource. The issues transgendered individuals face are multi-layered, and complex. It's great to have a resource such as this to turn to.
Gayle Pitman
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-nonfiction
This is an extremely comprehensive resource, covering a wide landscape of issues. Articles bring out a broad spectrum of diverse voices, all of which illuminate the complexity and diversity of trans experiences. If I had bought this book sooner, I would have made it a required textbook for one of my classes. I will absolutely use it as a text in the future.
Joanna Darrell
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I personally found this an excellent book which covers the subject of transgenderism really well. A little heavy going in a few places, but well worth sticking with. if you’re looking for a good general guide which you can use as a base for delving into more depth with a few key additions.
Alice Lemon
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I only skimmed this book: it was too long and too much of it was introductory material for me to read cover-to-cover. But it seemed like a really good desk reference of information both for trans people and for people they are trying to explain themselves to.
Kim
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource, written with the same intention as the well-known ‘Our Bodies, Ourselves’... in which the information & perspectives being offered come from the people most affected.
Pamela
Sep 05, 2014 added it
Shelves: never-finished
Mostly a resource that I access occasionally. Clearly written.
Mills College Library
306.768 T7722 2014
Rebecca
May 06, 2015 marked it as to-read
A reference book inspired by Our Bodies, Ourselves.
Jennifer Yeomelakis
Oct 16, 2018 marked it as wish-list
Recommended by Aminatou Sow
Tara
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every trans* person and ally should own a copy of this invaluable resource.

• The Transgender Child: A Handbook for Families and Professionals
  • Pleasure Activism: The Politics of Feeling Good
  • Octavia's Brood: Science Fiction Stories from Social Justice Movements
  • The New Bottoming Book
  • Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds
  • Drawing Power: Women's Stories of Sexual Violence, Harassment, and Survival
  • The Inheritance Trilogy (Inheritance, #1-3.5)
  • The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League
  • Trans Mission: My Quest to a Beard
  • Transgender History
  • American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America
  • Queer: A Graphic History
  • Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
  • Vegan for Everybody: Foolproof Plant-Based Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and In-Between
  • Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • The Book of Nothing: Vacuums, Voids, and the Latest Ideas about the Origins of the Universe
  • Fleet of Worlds (Fleet of Worlds #1)
“effort was made to select short pieces, quotes, and art that represent the diversity of trans communities. We have inevitably failed at this goal. Most of the authors live in the United States or Canada. Many are middle or upper class, and many are white. There are stories that are not told here—voices that are not heard. If one of these voices is yours, please consider completing our online survey or sending your suggestions for the next edition of this book to info@transbodies.com” 2 likes